The Enchanted Lyre Guide -- Updated Even!

Kama

The Enchanted Lyre Guide playingthelyrezt1.png

Part 1: Intro

Pre-Intro: I just completed walking over Olav's Slippery Bridge, and though again about my trusty old Enchanted Lyre collection. I hope it helps you get out there faster for Olav's Quest or the next thing out in that area of Gaelinor as well.

This guide is about the very under estimated and underutilized Enchanted Lyre of Rellekka. For those of you who don't know, the Enchanted Lyre is a quest item from the Fremmenik Trials Quest. After finishing the quest it can be made into the Enchanted Lyre (2), which gives you two free teleports to Rellekka. This comes in very handy for getting out to that part of Gaelinor for Slayer, Crafting, Questing, Kingdom Management and many other areas.

I have been tossing around the idea of making this guide for quite a while now. I have a stock of 30 Enchanted Lyres that have saved me hours of playing time in many skills, and every time I mention this to people they always give me an "Ahhh, I never though of that" type of response. So, here it is, my first attempt at a guide. Also, I will mention that you will need to have finished the Fremennik Trials in order to get the most out of this guide.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Table of Contents

Part 1: Intro - (Hopefully you read it before getting this far)

Part 2: How to make

Part 3: How to enchant

Part 4: Uses

Part 5: Why the Lyre?

Part 6: FAQ

Part 7: Closing Thoughts

Part 8: Edits

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Part 2: How to make

Enchanted Lyres are made using the fletching skill to attach a golden string to an Unstrung Lyre

Unstrung Lyres are made by cutting a branch from the swaying tree just to the east of Rellekka (see the mini map in my pic, it is the area with many rabbits and Doogle Leaf spawns). Just equip your axe and go chop as many branches as you need. You will get 'branch', use a knife on these to make unstrung lyre, it is almost a musical instrument. Bring a Cammy teletab to speed up the collection process. With the teletab you can collect 27 branches in one trip.

treezh2.png

Golden Wool are made by buying golden Fleece from Lalli the troll to the east of the rare tree and using the fleece on a spinning wheel to make golden wool. During the quest fleeses are free and you can get as many as you need by talking to Lalli and dropping them, but after the quest you will need to buy them for 1k each. Bring an air staff (your hands will be free this time) and a law or a Cammy teletab here as well to speed up the process. Bring 27,000 gp and you can grab 27 strings in one trip.

lallihu1.png

Lyres are also a very rare drop from the Fremmenik. If you need some combat XP and have nothing better to do then this is an option for you, but it is an inefficient use of time.

Turbo Tip:

You can cut out some time by using the agility shortcut above the Sinclair Mansion. 48 Agility Required.

Part 3: How to enchant

Any Lyres enchanted during the quest can only be enchanted with a raw shark, and become unenchanted after the quest is completed. Lyres are enchanted by making a 'worthy' offering Fossegrimmen at her small alter to the south of Rellekka, just to the west of the path.

The first way is to use a raw shark, just as you did during the quest. This is fine if you can fish them, but raw shark in small quantities are hard to come by if you don't have the fishing level to catch them.

The second and most recommended way is to use a raw bass and the Ring of Charos (a). Fossegrimmen will protest that a bass is not a worthy offering, but with the ring you can convince her that it is just "a very small shark". The best way to get raw bass is to buy them from the fishing shop in Catherby. Fishing them with a big net is just too time consuming, trust me on this one. You can generally buy a good amount of bass in one or two world hops max.

Bass are also available at the shop in the Warrior's Guild. They stock 10 per world.

Raw Sea Turtle and Raw Manta Rays may also be used as offerings to Fossegrimen to charge your lyres. They are a bit price prohibative when compared to Bass though. They do have the added benefit of more teleports though. Sea turtles will give you 4 charges, and Mantas will give 3 when offered. Here is the Enchanted Lyre entry from the KB

Having more teleports can also ba a slight disadvantage here though because they can take up more bank space. With 2 charges the most you can have taken is 3 bank spaces (full charge, 1 charge, and zero charges). If you are anything like me, you might have any number of the charged states sitting in your bank, just think glory ammys with zero to 4 charges.

When not power training, I have found that it is easier to use all 2 teleport Lyres once, then use all 1 teleport Lyres. This way you are assured of always having only two bank spaces taken up by lyres. Be sure to keep them next to each other in inventory though, because they can be hard to find.

Turbo Tip:

The Fishing shop in Canafis has one raw shark in stock, so in a pinch this can be used.

Part 4: Uses

At this point everyone should know that the Lyre teleports you to Rellekka, but why would you need a Rellekka teleport? Here is just a short list of the things I use mine for:

Slayer - The tele spot is much closer to the Fremmy Slayer Dungeon

Crafting - Using this to get closer to the seaweed spawns is the fastest way to collect seaweed in the game.

Kingdom Management - If you actively manage your kingdom, this is a must.

Farming - This is a fast way to get to the white berry plot on Miscallania.

Questing - There are many quests that utilize this area of the game.

Herblore - If you don't have lunar magics this tele gets you very close to the Waterbirth Island snape spawns.

Herblore - Black unicorns spawn nust north east of the teleport location for quick collection.

Construction - If you are on ancients or Lunar it is a great way to get to your POH in Rellekka.

PKing - Lose your god book? The telespot is very close, although the games tele gives it a good run for the money now.

Combat XP - Extremely close to the Rock Crabs , these are great for training with low deg and high XP.

These are just a few of the areas of the game I use my lyres for. There are many more, but the basic benefit is the decreased time it will take you to get out to that side of the world.

Part 5: Why Lyres?

After writing this guide, I saw that many people posted about alternative teleportation methods to the lyre. In this section I will attempt to descrive them and offer my reasons as to why the lyre is actually the better of the 3.

Fairy Rings

These are excallent for a great many things. The benefits of the rings are outweighed by the time it takes to grab a staff, teleport to the master ring, dial the code, and tele to your final destination though. The run from the lyre tele spot is about one second difference to the Slayer Dungeon. This is more than made up for the banking time though. You can tele directly back there from any bank using a lyre, which significantly decreases the necessary time to get back to slaying. The only place the rings get close is if you do not have 77 mage and lunar magics. There is a range near the bank in the Lost City to cook seaweed on. With 77 mage molten glass can be made directly from seaweed with ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâ¹ÃâSuperglass MakeÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢ eliminating that step. It is still faster by about 30 per hour to collect with lyres though.

The Lyre is also much easier to replace than a Dramen Staff or Lunar Staff, so in a pinch if you really need that extra inventory spot you can just drop it. Good slayer drop for example.

House Teleport

With this option you get to nearly the same spot as you would using the lyre teleport. The only major drawback is the time it takes to bring up your house. Depending on server latency, there can be a much longer wait to get into your house, find the portal and leave.

One benefit here is that in using up the house teletab you get a free inventory space. All in all the time trade off is not worth it over time though.

Part 6: FAQ

Q: If I enchant them during Fremmy trials quest do they become un-enchanted?

A: Yes

Q: Can I make more than one Lyre during the quest?

A: Yes, they are free.

Q: Why do you buy the bass instead of fishing them?

A: Just try it for yourself. Fishing Bass is painfully slow because you also collect just as many boots, caskets, seaweeds, oysters, and cod. Just save yourself the time and buy them.

Q: Don't Lunar Magics and the Fairy rings defeat the usefulness of the Lyres?

A: With the CIP ring code or Miscellania and the Waterbirth tele in the Lunar spell book getting around got a lot easier. I don't deny that one bit, but the Lyres are still a great free option. Especially for those who can't or dont do quests.

Part 7: Closing Thoughts

Well, I am sure I am not the first person to say that making this guide took longer than I had anticipated. It was fun to go through the entire process again though, and I suppose I can always use the extra lyres, you can never have too many you know.

Pick it apart and let me know what I can do to make it better and thanks for reading!

Part 8: Edits

First Edit Today: Added Baron's Tip about easy access to your house, and fixed some typing errors.

3.23.07 - Added the following: Easy access to god books, Lyres can be a fremmy drop, Mantas and sea turtles as offerings. Am I the only one that thought it was Rekella instead of Rellekka?

-Major addition of Part 5: Why Lyres. I added this to respond to all of the people who posted about rings or POH teles.

3.24.07 - typo - Thanks Maddavy2004

4.11.07 - Correction on Manta and Turtles. Thanks MJwannabe5 (and jwrm22 for reinforcing the idea that expensive fish are bad to use)!

5.18.07 - Cosmetic.

5.19.07 - Added Mr Cheese's tip for getting bass from warrior guild.

5.20.07 - Fairly big Update today. Thanks Kill and Tomatoe for the heads up on the K Base URL change. Big thanks to Kinslayer777 for the many tips both here and in your PM.

Credits: Baron, Elessar, Daemos_Magen, Maddavy2004, MJwannabe5, Mr Cheese, killjoyfuly, tomato72, and Kinslayer777.

A great guide to an under-utilised teleport method

For uses I use it if my house is in rellaka and I'm on ancients/Lunar, don't know if you mentioned that in there.

Once again, good job =D>

very nice guide to (as you said) a well-neglected tele option.

However, u forgot to mention that fairy rings does offer a good alternative for some of the usages u mentioned here (slayer & Miscallania for example).

Still, as some1 who didnt place his house on relleka (and avoid going there much for the same reason), i have to say that having 100 of those in the bank cant be a bad idea.

nice guide... but in realy think the lyre useless cuz i got my house at relleka and i have 1600 home tabs :lol:

runeminermb1.gif

^^ click my sig for my lesser ranging guide ^^

jwrm22: 4816th > 99 cooking 100% f2p !1172 total! + 140mil in items.

i dont play anymore... i think rs is ruined

Thanks Matok. I didn't mention the rings because they are kind of out of the scope of a guide on the lyre (hehe). I also prefer the one click teleportability of the lyre over the slow dials on those rings.

I assure you 100 in the bank is great. When they come out with new quests, like the penguin one and some of the other recent ones, the lyre really helps reduce running time.

I did some time trials in preparation for my next guide (seaweed) and the lyre is actually quite a bit faster than the rings for things like seaweed collection.

Jwrm - I read your posts all the time thanks for posting! I only wish I was rich enough to have half a mil gold wrapped up in 1,600 tele tabs though. I gotta ask though why keep your house in Rekella?

Thank you for making this amazing guide! 10/10!

Add to the list of uses: Can be used as a re-useable home teletab when your house is in Relleka. Because my house is in Rellaka, I will definitely use lyres this way when I am barrowing.

mrE.png

"We will certainly not be gaining money or members with this update. Instead, we are doing this for the good of the game, which is as dear to our hearts as it is to you."

- JAGEX, December 13, 2007

Very good guide Kama! :thumbsup:

I have my house in Relekka so I don't often use Lyres although I agree they are severely under rated. I think Relekka house offers more options than any other house spot. It's great for Slayer cave if you don't have Fairy rings unlocked, good for snape grass colelction getting your servant to bank it, and many other options.

Can't wait for your next guide. :wink:

=D>

sigdu0.gif

Quit RS to play real games. :P Bye TIF, miss you.

Not bad. I personally prefer to use the house tele or the fairy ring, though. And if you're trying to get to the lighthouse to retrieve a holy book, then you can use a games necklace to tele to the barbarian outpost and go over the rocks.

But 8/10, well-written.

perfect grammar is one thing, typing like a drugged monkey and enjoying it is another

AMEN!

or u could just hve ur house in relekka........

does get quite annoying when i have to do gilded altar tho

oh btw.....not smart to kill rellekans...u lose popularity

aint it only misselancians and etceterias?

Dead Dots - Thanks for the complements. You mentioned the benefits of having your house in Rekella though. Are there any more than the teleport location? I always had lyres so I never even considered moving my house there, but you are the second person to mention it so I am getting a bit curious.

Elessar - Thanks for the 8/10. I will add the part about the god book and your name to the credits as well.

Daemos_Magen - Killing Fremmeniks is slow. The lyre drops are so rare that it is not an effective option.

or u could just hve ur house in relekka........

does get quite annoying when i have to do gilded altar tho

oh btw.....not smart to kill rellekans...u lose popularity

aint it only misselancians and etceterias?

Santor is correct here. Only killing the islanders affects your popularity. If you aren't playing Kingdom Managment though the fishing stalls on Misc are incredibly fast places to raise thieving.

Hells - Tahnks for the rating!

uhh that isnt fastest to get seaweed, lunar magics is faster for gettin seaweed

Doogy - I think you have Snapegrass and seaweed mixed up.

Abyssalwhip - Thanks for the post! I see you all over. If you can fish sharks, then they are much better than buying bass anyway. I neglected to mention that point.

good guide although most of the useful spots you mentioned are very very close to a fairy ring, but VERY good guide nontheless to those of us who have not done fairy tale pt 2

lost rights to my dark red text >:(

afflictionbanner2jf6.png

12/20/06 - QUEST CAPE OF ACHIEVEMENT

Barrows sets: guthan, verac, dharok, maybe ahrim eventually <- lost to a hacker whole stole everything of worth from my bank

Jwrm - I read your posts all the time thanks for posting! I only wish I was rich enough to have half a mil gold wrapped up in 1,600 tele tabs though. I gotta ask though why keep your house in Rekella?

i made those tabs meself :wink: kill life sold me 5k clay...

and is there a better spot to have your house at? i like relleka cuz;

near slayer dungion, (i was power lvl 3 clue hunting)

easy to miscellenia,

if you tell me a better spot for my house i might move it and get around 100 lyres :XD:

runeminermb1.gif

^^ click my sig for my lesser ranging guide ^^

jwrm22: 4816th > 99 cooking 100% f2p !1172 total! + 140mil in items.

i dont play anymore... i think rs is ruined