Guide to Faster Flax than Seers!

The Real ET

This Guide covers flax you pick yourself, so I don't need to know about fast spinning if you already have the flax.

Don't forget to post now. \'

Something I've never understood about Runescape is why everyone picks flax at Seers Village. One of the first places I went to when I first became a member was the Gnome Stronghold (Grand Tree area) and I loved it. When I figured out what flax is I found Gnome Stronghold to be better than Seers for flax related purposes, and now I will prove that Gnome Stronghold is better and show some strategies to use for effective fletching with words and pictures. :D

Contents

Opening Words - A few things I want to say beforehand.

Area Maps - Maps of both area's flax, bank, and spinning wheel.

Flax Comparison - Comparing trip time for flax gathering. *Includes short section on Lletya flax.*

Bowstring Comparison - Comparing trip time for making bowstrings.

String Bows Strategy and Comparison - Introducing the Bow Stringing Strategy and comparing trip time.

Final Words - A few last words from yours truely.

Opening Words

Many of you probably don't believe me right now, but check out the rest of this guide and I'll show you what I mean. I have various pictures to make this an effective overall "flax" guide, but my main purpose is to just prove a point and show others how to do a menial Runescape task more efficently. Overall, you decide which area you like better, but this guide can give you the information you need for that decision.

*Important Note* I timed the trips with flax, etc. to use as proof, but to get a more accurate number all timed trips are my times walking WITHOUT ANY running. Also, the timing started once I clicked out of the bank screen and ended when I deposited the collected items. A bit obvious, but in case you don't know, the times are read minutes:seconds.

Area Maps

*Important Note* Both maps were made through screen shots from the mini map in game and/or from the world map on runescape.com, and were edited with Paint. Thus, they aren't of the best quality And may be slightly inaccurate, but only meant to be used as a guideline to show where things are.

Seers Village

seersmap.jpg

Gnome Stronghold

gnomestrongholdmap.jpg

Now on to Comparisons.

Flax Comparison

First off is the essence of the task, flax picking. Flax picking is one of the most monotonous activities in Runescape, and I think everyone can realize the importance of saving about 30 seconds with such a task.

Seers Village

Average time to make a trip of collecting 28 flax: 2:03

Gnome Stronghold

Average time to make a trip of collecting 28 flax: 1:33 - Times tend to vary depending on where you pick and how many you get per flax plant.

Pros and Cons

Pros of using Gnome Stronghold over Seers Village for picking flax:

Less people.

An average of 30 seconds saved per trip.

Cons of using Gnome Stronghold over Seers Village for picking flax:

Not a large concentration of flax.

Times less consistant.

Lletya Flax

Thanks to everyone who informed me of how close flax is to a bank in Lletya. With everyone telling me about it I decided to put this little part in here.

For those of you who don't know, Lletya is the town of the good rogue elves. Do the Plague City quest line if you don't understand. You first get access to, and a crystal allowing you to teleport to Lletya near the beginning of Mourning's Ends - Part 1.

Lletya also has, by far, the closest flax to bank and you can tell just by looking at it. I didn't bother timing anything since it's speed is so obvious, but because of the distance of the spinning wheel Lletya is only fit as a flax collecting area so I put it in the flax part of my guide. Also, Lletya isn't accessable to many runescapers which is also why I just gave it a small part here. So, check out this map I made and good luck.

lletyamap.jpg

Pros and Cons of Lletya Flax Picking

Pros:

Large concentration of Flax

Usually not crowded

Few steps away from bank

Cons:

Requires high level quests to enter

Bowstring Comparison

Next I'll be comparing times for those of us who make bowstrings. A little less time to be saved, but mere seconds add up quickly.

Seers Village

Average time to make a trip collecting 28 bowstrings: 3:15

Gnome Stronghold

Average time to make a trip collecting 28 bowstrings: 2:56

Pros and Cons

Pros of using Gnome Stronghold over Seers Village for making bowstrings:

Less people (still =P).

An average of 19 seconds saved per trip.

Cons of using Gnome Stronghold over Seers Village for making bowstrings:

String Bows Strategy and Comparison

This section starts off with me introducing a strategy quite a few people and myself are very fond of for stringing bows with self-picked flax.

By following this strategy you pick and spin your own flax, and then use it to string bows. It is faster than picking and spinning the flax, and then stringing bows at bank. I will now demonstrate with some pictures and explainations. Do NOT follow only by pictures. They are just there so you can make sure you're doing it right.

Also, if you don't need the pictures there is a shortened step-by-step process after the primary explaination.

Starting Inventory (14 unstrung bows of your choice):

startinginventory.jpg

You replace the unstrung maple longs with whatever unstrung bows you're using. So, with 14 unstrung bows in tow (formation of bows was the recommended way to have them before the "String-All" option was realesed) you head over to whatever source of flax you're using and pick 14 flax.

Current inventory for this step:

inventory2.jpg

Next, head over to the nearest spinning wheel and make some bowstrings and string your bows. Head back to the flax and get 14 more.

inventory3.jpg

Then go spin those flax into bowstrings. Finally, head back to the bank to deposit your strung bows and withdraw unstrung ones.

inventory4.jpg

String the unstrung bows, then take out 14 more unstrung bows and deposit the ones you just strung.

Repeat.

Step-by-Step Process

1. Have 14 of the unstrung bows you're stringing in your inventory.

2. Go to flax/spinning wheel and pick/spin 14 flax/bowstrings.

3. String those 14 unstrung bows.

4. Repeat step 2.

5. Go to bank and deposit strung bows and withdraw 14 more unstrung bows.

6. Repeat step 3.

7. Deposit strung bows and withdraw 14 more unstrung bows.

8. Repeat steps 2-7 as needed.

Time to compare...

At this time times DON'T compensate for the "String-All" option.

Seers Village

Average time to string 28 unstrung bows: 4:56

Gnome Stronghold

Average time to string 28 unstrung bows: 3:52

Pros and Cons

Pros of using Gnome Stronghold over Seers Village for making bowstrings:

Less people (as always).

An average of 1 minute and 4 seconds saved per trip!!

Cons of using Gnome Stronghold over Seers Village for making bowstrings:

Winner: Gnome Stronghold.

I know I said the choice is up to you, but if you're planning on using this very effective method it would be downright foolish to use Seers. :shame:

Final Words

Well that's all I got for you. Thank you for reading my guide and I hope you liked it. All pictures and the writing of the guide was done by me. Let me know what you think and tell me if any corrections need to be made. I could always use more timing information (just make sure it's only walking), and my maps aren't the highest of quality so help in that area would be appreciated. Also, don't forget to post now. \'

Cowards can't block Warriors.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just about never pick my own flax or spin my own bowstrings, but isn't Lletya also an excellent place? I forgot if they have a spinning wheel or not, but the bank is extremely closeby.

questcapesigbalh.gif

The Once and Future Quest Guru

i hate picking flax but when I have to do it I use lletya, its super fast, but not for spinning, i just pick and bank, then spin in lumby bank, its also super fast

People keep mentioning Lletya, but I just went there to look for flax and I couldn't find any. But, yes there is a spinning wheel there.

*EDIT*

Thanks to everyone telling me about Lletya flax. I added a little section about it in the guide.

i hate picking flax but when I have to do it I use lletya, its super fast, but not for spinning, i just pick and bank, then spin in lumby bank, its also super fast

People keep mentioning Lletya, but I just went there to look for flax and I couldn't find any. But, yes there is a spinning wheel there.

You cant find it in Lletya? Well its just south of the bank. You only have to walk about 10-15 squares to get from the flax to the bank. I just picked the flax cuz I wanted to get all my random clothes :roll:

newsignature1fs8.png

I think there are closer spinning wheels closer to banks than Gnome village & seers - Lumbridge castle has a bank near theres, you just need to climb the stairs. Also, in one of the freemy isles (netzinoit? where you get the helm) there is a close wheel to bank I believe.

Matthew T-D

Whip drops: 9

Abyssal head drops: 3

I think there are closer spinning wheels closer to banks than Gnome village & seers - Lumbridge castle has a bank near theres, you just need to climb the stairs. Also, in one of the freemy isles (netzinoit? where you get the helm) there is a close wheel to bank I believe.

There are many closer spinning wheels, but my guide deals with picking the flax and spinning it. If you pick flax and spin it later it takes more time, so it's smarter to use my tactics. People are always going to use the other spinning wheels when they buy the flax.

So in short, there's no point to putting that in my guide.

although I have "Other Methods" of making money I still found this guide pretty informative

9/10

63herb3-1.jpg

Rofl. My chair has a fridge, a cooler, a toilet, a shower, and a barbecue bulit in.

Hey, I may have quite Runescape, but I just bought an XBOX 360 and play way to much COD4 with the Gamertag Lava Mage

For EXTREMELY fast flax spinning use Lumbridge castle. All you have to do is go down the ladder not too many steps away from the bank and Vola, instant fast flax spinning

made0f12une.png

^^ClicK^^

"I backed my car into a cop car the other day

Well he just drove off sometimes life's ok

Alright already we'll all float on

Alright don't worry we'll all float on" - Isaac Brock

Days Hunting:4 - Kingly Imps Caught:2

Money Earned: 4.5-5m

For EXTREMELY fast flax spinning use Lumbridge castle. All you have to do is go down the ladder not too many steps away from the bank and Vola, instant fast flax spinning

I know, but that has nothing to do with this guide... Must I repeatitly say it?!?!

This guide should be called "Guide to Faster Flax than Seers! , but still not quite the best method around"...

OT me and everyone else that use that method can assure you that picking flax in lettya and spining it later in lumby or whatever doesnt take 1:30 mins

sigqp2bw9.gifIceBlackIce.gif

*** [ END ]: You gained 1,671,000 thieving exp in 9mins 44secs. That's 10,300,684 exp/h.

Dragon Drops - 1 Skirt

Ah man, don't give out secrets like this, your killing the market :? . But eitherway sweet guide, prices of bs and flax will go down again sadly after i worked hard to get em up with the Akatsuki.....you may have foiled our plans but don't worry, we are working on a way to raise prices of coal and herbs, lets see if you can stop that.

Link2fast.png

mybbsig.png

I just about never pick my own flax or spin my own bowstrings, but isn't Lletya also an excellent place? I forgot if they have a spinning wheel or not, but the bank is extremely closeby.

high level quest required

Ah man, don't give out secrets like this, your killing the market :? . But eitherway sweet guide, prices of bs and flax will go down again sadly after i worked hard to get em up with the Akatsuki.....you may have foiled our plans but don't worry, we are working on a way to raise prices of coal and herbs, lets see if you can stop that.

Screwing with the market, eh?

I'm not a fan of economical manipulation, so I'll do my best to stop you... but I doubt I will... Ah well, I'm sure someone will. :)

If anyone can, can you time the time it takes to bank flax from Lletya and spin it in Lumbridge?

The data would be appreciated.

Not really sure about the time to spin the flax, but it takes me on average of about 50 seconds ~ 1 minuteto pick and bank flax from Lletya. If you want I can go to Lletya and record my times and post my data, I need the flax anyways.

iamgodzc1.png <<< Click for 99 Fishing Blog!!

Dragon drops: 1 D Med 1/16/06

2 D chains from Dustys 3/18/07 & 4/28/07

2 Guth Spears: 3/5/08 & 6/12/08