TzHaar Killing for Profit

Mu7

I originally posted this in someone's thread on the RuneScape Monsters Forum when they wanted some help finding a monster to kill for money. I realized I know a LOT about killing the TzHaar, having done it a lot myself, so I figured I would share this.

Introduction and General Advice

A lot of people don't kill the TzHaar (found in the Karamja Volcano sub-dungeon) because they're dangerous, slow, poor experience - and don't drop anything. Wrong. They drop valuable Obsidian items, and they drop them more often than you think. I get three or four drops a day, on a BAD day. It isn't just me. All my friends that I've told about this tell the same tale - three or four drops a day, usually at least a drop an hour.

Mauls sell for 220K and up.

Capes sell for 300K, give or take.

Shields sell for 280K, give or take.

Swords and Knives sell for whatever you can get - there's no market for them.

Staves sell for 150K and up, sometimes 200K - but good luck getting a buyer.

Rings sell for 2K, maybe 3K each.

All TzHaar drop uncut gems up to diamond and Tokkul.

But that's not the point.

Get Karamja Gloves, and sell your Obsidian items to the TzHaar stores, making sure they "destock" back to 1 (or 500 for rings) so you get full price.

Mauls sell for 17500 Tokkul.

Capes and Shields sell for around 20000, but just sell them to players and buy Mauls - you get more Tokkul per GP.

For 260000 Tokkul - with Karamja Gloves - you can get an Onyx from the TzHaar Gem Shop. Find someone who will trade that Onyx for an Amulet of Fury. Some players want you to include a Cosmic Rune, 20 Fire Runes and 20 Earth Runes.

I went from no Tokkul to 240000 or so in a day and a half. Then I just bought a Cape and sold it for 21000 Tokkul.

I kept my Fury - still have it - but if I'd wanted to sell it, that would be an easy 4.1 million. 4.2 if I wanted to fight for a higher price. Minus 300K for the cape and maybe 100K worth of armour repairs, that's 3.7M in two days of not-very-hard work.

Meet the TzHaar

Well, the level 149 TzHaar-Kets drop the Maul (Tzhaar-ket-om) which, as I've said, is worth 17500 Tokkul. They also drop the Shield (Toktz-ket-xil) and Obsidian Cape, which are better sold for coins which you spend on a Maul. They tend to hit harder than the others and have more defence.

The level 133 TzHaar-Xils can drop whatever weapon they are holding. The Dagger (Toktz-xil-ek) and Sword (Toktz-xil-ak) are dropped by the meleers and the Rings (Toktz-xil-ul) by the rangers. The Dagger and Sword are very hard to sell, and usually retail for less than 100K coins each. I just sell them for some Tokkul - it's more convenient and I can get back to killing faster. The Xils also drop the Cape and Shield, so they're an excellent source of drops. Less powerful than Kets in every way - less attack, less strength, less defence, less hits.

The level 103 TzHaar-Mej's use magic and melee. If you really want, you can get a Staff (Toktz-mej-tal) which sells for under 200K coins - just sell it for Tokkul to save time - and the ever-present Cape. I don't like killing them. They have low defence and their melee attack is awful, but the magic can hurt. Protecting from Magic just wastes Prayer. Worse yet, if a Ket or Xil sees you attacking a Mej it will come get you too!

The little level 74 TzHaar-Hurs drop utter rubbish. Rune Javelins, Tokkul, uncut gems, and then things like Pots and Thread. Also, Kets and Xils come get you. Hurs have NO Obsidian drops. I mean it, don't waste your time.

Equipment

I like to kill the Kets with a Whip/DDS combo, then switch to my Warspear and heal on Xils - and while I heal I might get a Cape, Shield, Knife or Sword! The rangers tend not to be worth it - their ancillary ring drops are just pathetic money.

Of course, not everyone has Guthan's or wants to use it on such poor-experience monsters. Heck, I don't! Sometimes I switch back to my normal Rune-and-stuff ensemble when not healing to save my armour. So here are some alternate equipment sets. I will use this notation format:

Best > Good = Just as good > Worst

OPTIMUM SET

Blue ghosts of healing weeeh!!

Head: Guthan's Helm

Body: Guthan's Body

Legs: Guthan's Legs

Arm1: Abyssal Whip + DDS for Specials (switch to Warspear to heal)

Arm2: Rune Defender > Obsidian Shield > Best Shield You Have

Neck: Amulet of Fury > Amulet of Glory > Any Amulet

Hand: Best Recipe for Disaster Gloves available

Feet: Rune Boots > Adamant Boots > Climbing Boots

Ring: Ring of Wealth > Ring of Life. Some people like Recoil, I say it's too much banking getting more and more.

Cape: The best cape you have. Doesn't matter much.

Keep potions in your inventory - just basic combat potions from the Warriors Guild will do. Keep your stats up. It's more kills per hour, so faster money, plus it saves your armour. This is doubly important when you're using the Warspear, because the Warspear...well, it's an awful weapon, really. You want basic combat potions, by the way, for ANY melee set-up in which you fight face-to-face.

NON-GUTHAN SET

Munch, munch, munch...

Head: Helm of Neitiznot > Berserker Helm = Fighter Hat > Warrior Helm > Rune Fullhelm > Any helmet

Body: Torag's Body = Fighter Torso > Rune Body

Legs: Torag's Legs > Dragon Legs > Rune Legs

Arm1: Whip > Dragon Scimitar + DDS for specials

Arm2: Rune Defender > Obsidian Shield > Best Shield You Have

Neck: Amulet of Fury > Amulet of Glory > Any Amulet

Feet: Rune Boots > Adamant Boots > Climbing Boots

Ring: Ring of Wealth > Ring of Life. Some people like Recoil, I say it's too much banking getting more and more.

Cape: The best cape you have. Doesn't matter much.

You won't be using Guthan's, so just kill Xils full-time - they hurt less - and use the best fish you can CATCH. Don't buy Sharks, you use a LOT of food this way and Sharks just murder your profits. Once again, basic combat potions.

HALBERDIER

Poke. Heehee! Poke. Heehee! Poke. Heehee! Poke...

Trap a Ket or Xil behind a Sulfur Vent or a mining rock!

Head: Fighter Hat > Warrior Helm > Helm of Neitiznot = Berserker Helm

Body: Fighter Torso > Any body armour

Legs: Any leg armour

Arm1: Dragon Halberd > Rune Halberd > Don't bother.

Arm2: [coughHALBERDcough]

Neck: Amulet of Fury > Amulet of Glory > Any Amulet (Power, Accuracy, whatever)

Feet: Rune Boots = Climbing Boots > Adamant Boots

Ring: Ring of Wealth

Cape: Fire Cape > Any cape, or none.

You'll notice immediately some of my helmet and amulet ratings have changed. That's because since the halberds are so slow, accuracy matters more than anything else. You want to hit as few 0s as possible, because you spend so much time just standing there. Accuracy first, remember that. Accuracy first. Also, I haven't played with full Void Knight Melee, but I suppose it would theoretically be better than this set-up, as you don't need any defence. Some people like to bring a DDS, wait for it to charge, run out, spec, then run back to a safe spot. I don't like it. Chances are you'll take bigger hits - you've built your armor for accuracy, not defence! This is an especially bad idea if you wear the Void Knight set. However, if you're confident in your defence, go for it. The specs tend to hit hard, and poison really speeds things up. Also, don't bring any Defence potions! That way you can just bring Attack and Strength, and more of each so you don't have to bank and reload on potions as often. Maybe even use a Super Attack (not Super Strength) for added accuracy.

RANGER or MAGE

Don't. Just don't.

Trap a Ket or Xil behind a Sulfur Vent or a mining rock - NOT!

Y'know what? No. We're here for the MONEY! If you're going to use a safe spot for the money, use a halberd. It won't keep costing you every shot. If you want the experience, please go elsewhere. TzHaar are very slow experience, and you'll hit a lot of 0s so it's a waste of ammo. I mean it.

Now, with high-level bolts or arrows it's possible to do quite a lot of damage quite fast. Unfortunately, this does start to get expensive as your ammunition slowly runs out - even the best ammo breaks! Again, we're here for the money, and our goal is to maximize profit. Thank you PastyGangsta for reminding me to mention this!

Inventory Tips

In my inventory, I kept a Home Teletablet. Just in case, you know - wouldn't want to lose my Warspear #-o Always have a one-click teleport. Runes, Tablet, Lletya Crystal, Ectophial, anything. Just in case! It's ONE inventory space. It's better than dying.

I also kept a Chisel, and turned all my gem drops into stackable, space-saving bolt tips so I wouldn't have to bank very often. I don't want to waste time shuttling to and from the bank, nor do I want to waste valuable gemstones. This way, I keep ALL my gems in four inventory spaces, plus a Chisel.

Even if you use Guthan's, keep two or three Monkfish or better with you, just in case I got down to under 32 health. 32 is the two-hit range for the TzHaar-Kets, because they can hit 16. Never let yourself stay below this magic number. This magic number 32 is why I say Monkfish or better. There's no sense healing less than they're hitting in an emergency! The magic number for Xils is considerably lower if you're only killing them, but just to be safe, keep yourself above 32 or so anyway. You never know when you'll get bored or distracted and attack a Ket by mistake! Heal with a fish, then quickly use Guthan's to heal. I know it can be a bit annoying eating a fish while wearing Guthan's - but it's better than waking up in Lumbridge WITHOUT your Guthan's! Alternatively, click on Protect from Melee and use your Warspear until you heal up! Just let yourself die in the Fight Caves or Fight Pits to recharge prayer if you run out.

If you really really hate continually restocking on potions, and have some Stat Restore to spare, get a Dragon Battleaxe and use the special - AND THEN DRINK A DOSE OF STAT RESTORE. You don't want to melee a Ket close-up with a Defence drop, and you don't want to try and halberd one with an Attack drop. The Super Strength Potion effect makes up for not having an Attack Potion boost, and since you'll only need to use a dose of Stat Restore when your strength drops from a SUPER boost, it's even LESS banking to reload. Plus, the Battleaxe is only one inventory space. Some people like to carry an Attack or even Super Attack too. I don't do it when I halberd, but if you want to speed things up further and have potions to spare, go ahead!

One last thing. If you have Combat Potions, use them instead of Attack and Strength, and just carry Defence and Combat Potions. Two potions in one space, which means - again - more doses per inventory, hence less banking, hence faster killing, hence faster money. You know the drill by now :D

That's all I can think of for now. If anything else comes up, I'll add it in this post. Feel free to criticize or mention anything you want to add - I'll put it into the guide wherever it fits in the best, and I'll make sure to give you the credit! That is, I won't make a "contributions" section. If you suggest an equipment set, for example, I'll just put it in the Equipment section and name the equipment set after you. Thanks for reading, and good luck with your own TzHaar massacre!

Update - Thank you, everyone, for your input. I hear you, and I'm working on it. I won't be on RuneScape much over the weekend, but I'll do my best to get some more content added. My current to-do list:

- Inventory and equipment pictures, which will replace my lists

- Magic and Ranged inventory and equipment set-ups, just in case you really want to do it that way (and with sections on minimizing your operating costs to maximize profits)

- My favorite killing spots for each method

If you range the Xil's with a rune crossbow and mithril bolts you will hit very high (I normally hit 16's and up) and kill them moderately fast. I do it all the time... :D

Anyway nice guide, very helpful. :thumbsup:

Pasty.png

It's likely just bad luck. If you want Capes and Shields and don't mind the effort of reselling them to buy Mauls, you can just kill the Xils and ignore the Kets. You'll get more monsters to yourself, and they die faster, so it's more rolls of the die per hour. The only real reason to kill Kets, ever, is because their Maul drops save you some buying and selling.

Very good guide, I hally myself, but Half the time noobs (Sometimes with full black and mith longswords :shock: ) Try to steal my tzharr, so I stop attacking them, Hehe, Free noob bones :D

No.png

CLICK THE IMAGE TO GO TRY SHARK ATTACK DANGIT.

Very nice guide! :thumbsup: But it needs pictures. 8/10

newbankofrsyq0.gif

afflictionbanner2jf6.png

dragonmguthan,Qazadex.gif

grammar2gr8dx.png

I swear everytime i go to a F2p world (i'm a member) some noob randomly trades me full iron or somin then he keeps tradin me. Most of runescape's population is a combined IQ of 20 #-o.

Sorry I haven't given those updates I promised! I lagged out against Dharok...:oops:...and had to sell Guthan's to fill the holes in my Barrowing gear. I'm OK now, and I have my Guthan's set back, so I'm gonna get back to work on those pictures.

Nice guide. I may actually buy a barrows set to do this... once i get the money...

8/10, caus you dont have the pics yet.

Don't ask me for what I do for fun.

Anyways, what I do for fun (besides RS) is to tear up assignments I get and then try to re-create them. It's so much fun =D.

(I also like differrent things.(and purple ))

Hasaple2.png

Hasaple2.png

i used to use tzhaar for money but this has inspired me a bit more

9/10

2X shields

2X capes

1X maul

heh few months later

4x mauls

3x capes

2x shield

day after posting within an hour

4x mauls

4x capes

2x shield

1x sword

:D

i hardly go there

got 2 mauls within 5 kills when i used dh :D

Animaslayer.png

Dragon Drops: Platelegs x9, Med Helms x7, Plateskirts x4, Shield Left Half x3, At least 75+ Boots!, Hatchets x5, Ruined Shard x1, Solo Claws x2, Dragon 2Hander x1, Spear x2

Whip x27, Dark Bows x9, Draconic Visage x1

sweetol5.png <- do that when you see me :P

I get three or four drops a day, on a BAD day. It isn't just me. All my friends that I've told about this tell the same tale - three or four drops a day, usually at least a drop an hour.

Are you sure about their drop rate? I was there long enough to get +4k tokkul and my only drops were 16 obsidian rings.

bewatchingyousigau4.gif

[260+ Quest Points] [All Skills 50+] [Lv 97 Combat]

HALBERDIER

Poke. Heehee! Poke. Heehee! Poke. Heehee! Poke...

Trap a Ket or Xil behind a Sulfur Vent or a mining rock!

Head: Fighter Hat > Warrior Helm > Helm of Neitiznot = Berserker Helm

Body: Fighter Torso > Any body armour

Legs: Any leg armour

Arm1: Dragon Halberd > Rune Halberd > Don't bother.

Arm2: [coughHALBERDcough]

Neck: Amulet of Fury > Amulet of Glory > Any Amulet (Power, Accuracy, whatever)

Feet: Rune Boots = Climbing Boots > Adamant Boots

Ring: Ring of Wealth

Cape: Fire Cape > Any cape, or none.

You'll notice immediately some of my helmet and amulet ratings have changed. That's because since the halberds are so slow, accuracy matters more than anything else. You want to hit as few 0s as possible, because you spend so much time just standing there. Accuracy first, remember that. Accuracy first. Also, I haven't played with full Void Knight Melee, but I suppose it would theoretically be better than this set-up, as you don't need any defence. Some people like to bring a DDS, wait for it to charge, run out, spec, then run back to a safe spot. I don't like it. Chances are you'll take bigger hits - you've built your armor for accuracy, not defence! This is an especially bad idea if you wear the Void Knight set. However, if you're confident in your defence, go for it. The specs tend to hit hard, and poison really speeds things up. Also, don't bring any Defence potions! That way you can just bring Attack and Strength, and more of each so you don't have to bank and reload on potions as often. Maybe even use a Super Attack (not Super Strength) for added accuracy.

Update - Thank you, everyone, for your input. I hear you, and I'm working on it. I won't be on RuneScape much over the weekend, but I'll do my best to get some more content added. My current to-do list:

- Inventory and equipment pictures, which will replace my lists

- Magic and Ranged inventory and equipment set-ups, just in case you really want to do it that way (and with sections on minimizing your operating costs to maximize profits)

- My favorite killing spots for each method

great fuide...but i seem to be unable to hally them from behind a sulfur vent.

8/10 needs pics and fave kill spots...and a karjama gloves link

• 3 weeks later...
I get three or four drops a day, on a BAD day. It isn't just me. All my friends that I've told about this tell the same tale - three or four drops a day, usually at least a drop an hour.

Are you sure about their drop rate? I was there long enough to get +4k tokkul and my only drops were 16 obsidian rings.

Same, i got the same amount of tokkul and i didnt get any obby drops, not even rings.

GF TIF.

9 November 2006 - 22 January 2008, when I could no longer stand the painted turd that is the Tip.It community. Only posting in rants.

I dont know what your talking about, but at 54-59 range I ranged these things with mith bolts easily, it wasn't even bad exp.

I spent about 300k on bolts, but with 4 obby cape drops, 2 maul drops, 2 sheild drops, and a sword drop it was a small price to pay.

I had no other option than range, or else I would've used melee probably, but its still not as bad as an option as you make it out to be.

scubanz3.jpg

4972745284559197a18112.gifRsn: Scuba10