Parents,8year olds, and swearing

Death_Hippy

I refuse to read every single reply, for the sake of my eyes.

My comment is simple, and it is this.

We as individuals, and Jagex as a trading company have no say in the way in which parents raise the children, and we have no right to tell them how they should raise their children. Sure, we can make suggestions, but to go out of your way and whinge about it is futile. Jagex has a system in place that is based on HONESTY. If children under 13 are signing up as 13+, then that is the first fundamental moral that they are breaking. Children have minds of their own. They can lie, they can cheat, they can make many decisions (although they are often unable to acknowledge and/or understand the consequences) because, like every other human, they have a mind of their own.

If you don't like swearing, I would hope you never swear yourself. Immaturity is part of growing up, and most people don't begin to fully mature until their late teens to early twenties. Deal with it. If you don't like how Runescape runs, or the people in it, leave.

My sister and I found this out when she had her 18th party when our parents went away on holiday. Sadly some of her friends weren't trustworthy and a party for 11 of her friends turned into a mob over over 110. The result?

People discussing a party, and word spreading to "gate-crashers" doesn't necessarily indicate the friends are untrustworthy. People overhear stuff and tell others and the vicious cycle begins.

[bleep] OFF HOW ARE U SO [bleep]ING LUCKY U PIECE OF [bleep]ING SHIT [bleep] [bleep] [wagon] MUNCHER

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly,

To the poster of this thread:

All you are doing is adding to the problem.

You are not a seasoned runescape player, from what I've seen, and therefore I think you have very limited reason to even complain at all about other players.

Because of the fact you advertise the fact that you swear quite often, I will not be nice, because swearing is obviously offensive. Not only is it offensive there are other words that get the "******" in runescape, and are therefore against the rules to say.

Considering your standings as a runescape player, my view is: "YOU'RE A NOOB NERD", yes, im serious, I think you should just bite the bullet and continue hanging out with your free-to-play make-believe-friends that you only befriend to report later on.

It only seems that people are stupid enough to say anything that dumb in free-to-play, so, yea. Whatever kid.

night_of_arc.gif

Honestly,

You are not a seasoned runescape player, from what I've seen, and therefore I think you have very limited reason to even complain at all about other players.

Because of the fact you advertise the fact that you swear quite often, I will not be nice, because swearing is obviously offensive. Not only is it offensive there are other words that get the "******" in runescape, and are therefore against the rules to say.

Considering your standings as a runescape player, my view is: "YOU'RE A NOOB NERD", yes, im serious, I think you should just bite the bullet and continue hanging out with your free-to-play make-believe-friends that you only befriend to report later on.

It only seems that people are stupid enough to say anything that dumb in free-to-play, so, yea. Whatever kid.

O.k, I may be a nerd (anyone who plays these online games is...also, nerd means smarter than yourself) and I've been playing since december 2004...and stop being a elitist -.-

At this time RuneScape is limited to users aged 13 and older.

Despite of that, < 13 years old still can make an account and play by putting 17~19... oh wait

Sorry, you already told us you were under 13 and we stopped you from opening an account. We really meant it!

I chose <12 years old to quote that lmao. Then someone should complain to RS because of this faulty registration system?

Oh you can reverse that by deleting the cookies.

Imo, the underaged group were spoiled with swearing and inexplicit stuff already in school or rl in the first place. Knowing that there is a punishment to swearing in skool, or testing this new power, they apply it to an unrealistic environment, online-game, Runescape.

Funny thing is they don't have a clue when they swear (check in the dictionary), does that actually mean funny, does it hurt others' feelings?

Going back to the roots, you find out that its his/ her peers who introduced those sickening words. who started swearing.

Anyway, guys state the problem (Well I did already) and stop attacking persons (which I didn't)?? There's something called "How to argue properly" out there, read it.

Total Level 2247- 11x 99s All Combat Skills, Slayer, Summoning, Woodcutting, Herblore

My sister and I found this out when she had her 18th party when our parents went away on holiday. Sadly some of her friends weren't trustworthy and a party for 11 of her friends turned into a mob over over 110. The result?

People discussing a party, and word spreading to "gate-crashers" doesn't necessarily indicate the friends are untrustworthy. People overhear stuff and tell others and the vicious cycle begins.

Hi Cjmftw13,

My point in that post is that freedom and authority are never absolutes. There are some great books to read that help illustrate these issues.

• "The Outsider"/"Le Stranger" by Albert Camus

"Nineteen Eighty-four (1984)" by George Orwell.

Between absolute freedom to govern ourselves and our own activities and authority that attempts to impose itself too much, there are always trade-offs.

Camus' refers to the conundrum of individual freedom versus hidden costs of that individual freedom in some of his books in the idea:

* by seeking absolute freedom we are enslaved by it,

Since by choosing to act only for ourselves and our own satisfaction, we eschew our bonds to the community. This means we would be acting in our own interest without regards for the rights of others around us.

* the freedom comes at a cost of ignoring our place in a community and doing what we want to please ourselves, regardless of how we may displease others, breaking the social bonds.

For those rebels in his books that sought freedom from authority, that ideology of freedom itself was way of chaining oneself to ideals, and putting those ideals over the well being of other people. Artists in particular were known in his day to sprout ideals of freedom while being cruel and heartless to their friends, family and to others they were meant to be committed too.

It's a stark contrast George Orwell's ironic statement that 'freedom is slavery' and 'peace is war' illustrates the inherent contradictions we face as people in societies. Because they are paradoxes they don't have any final solutions, nor are they resolvable by going too far one way or the other.

The bottom line I think Camus illustrates in his books is that is eschewing others and our responsibilities to them, we free ourselves up to act as we wish to act. The cost though is heavy, since by ignoring the inevitable effects (both good and bad) of our actions upon others, we risk ostracising ourselves.

My point about the party was not about friends we couldn't trust. It was about our choice to do something in the absence of authority. In such an absence, as nature abhors a vacuum, came others who did not respect either my sister or her friends, who threatened violence against us, and used the fact that they'd entered a situation where authorities would not intervene, instituted their own little dictatorship albeit one of fear and repression.

I think my sister and I learned a lot of lessons that night. We learned that doing things on our own is fun, but the other side, in the absence of parental supervision, are more dangerous and potentially malicious individuals who took advantage of that absence of authority. The people who assaulted me, and threatened to assault my sister and her friends, and beat up people out the front were criminals. They didn't care the cops were watching outside on the street, or that we were simply trying to have fun.

This situation sadly is not that different now form what is occurring in 'virtual worlds' on the Internet where an absence of in-game authority has let in the 'Internet criminals' who make it their business to exploit flaws in online games, trade for real world money and according to authorities are connected to groups known to launder money for criminals or worse. These are the people players should be aware do lurk in any 'virtual world' and why parents should be cautious about allowing their children unsupervised access to any place on the Internet.

In the absence of authority, sadly far worse people tend to congregate. This is why I personally do not feel removing the censor, or attempting to exclude parents (and those they must supervise) is going to create a better game. A game with only teens in it would be just as much a target for those who would prey on the young.

I hope my long windedness isn't a problem (I try hard to curb it) but I feel these issues of player safety, connected to real world issues of age and maturity do require us to consider all the real world problems that can accompany them.

Regards,

Fey.

feywarriorgreenlu9.gif

banneruh3.jpg

I really do hate all of these little kids who play runescape.

It clearly says that you have to be thirteen, yet they play, and when they see the word "crap" they tell their mommies who in turn tell at jagex. That's completely stupid.

Along with that. the little kids go messing up the game for everybody else by being immature, harassing girls, spamming, and so on.

Honestly,

O.k, I may be a nerd (anyone who plays these online games is...also, nerd means smarter than yourself) and I've been playing since december 2004...and stop being a elitist -.-

Its not only nerds who play online games.

Idiot.

swordfinalqr7.jpg

Denizen of Darkness| PSN= sworddude198

O.k for a while now young players have been bi-passing the age filter.It says you need to be 13 to play, but do they care?No, because they all need their fix of games that are to old and mature for them.That's what's been happening recently.

Kids nowadays don't play Mario or nintendo because they are "lame".They'd rather stick with stuff that's overage for them like Grand Theft Auto or Halo or some crap like that.These people who play those games come to this one and ignore the almost ESRB rating of the game.

So what's so bad about kids joining this game?When they get hacked they instantly complain to Jagex about it with parents saying "Why did my sons account get hacked?".The reason it got hacked was probably because the little bastard tried to download a hack for a game that is to "hard" for him.

Parents don't know about the age filter.Their child say's "It's a kids game".No, club penguin is a kids game.This is a Teen game.Which means,parents, that there WILL BE SWEARING IN THIS GAME.I've heard about parents complaining about the swearing a lot, and they don't seem to understand this.

I can swear as much as I dam want you little [wagon].I can go around lumbridge flaring the F-bomb without much of a problem.In fact they SHOULDN'T be able to ban me for it, because it's blocked.To bad jagex thinks teens parents mind if they're swearing.Unless the parent is watching em, the parent is not gonna find out.

What's with 8 year olds playing anyways?I don't understand what hyperactive kid's want with a slow game like this.You'd think they'd be playing Tetris,Doom, or some other violent shooting game.It's what most of our generation wants these days.So...why?Is it because they can't find any other games?Are their parents against violence?If so, doesn't this game count as violence?

What's strange to me is how parents rate violence.Violence is violence people!Even if their isn't any blood in a game, it doesn't mean the thing I killed isn't dead.It's still dead...just slightly less graphic.

So parents stop letting your kids play this game...especially if you don't want them to learn how to swear.This game is like weed,crack, or sot me other kind of drug to these kids.When little kids play they don't know when to stop...do you want your child to gain a addictive personality?I don't think you do. :evil:

The age of 13 is the advised age to start playing. With parental permission they are allowed to play at any age. Admittedly alot do lie about their age. But you can't prevent that. It's not just "young" players bypassing the censor. Alot of older players do it too.

No offence but just because you hit the magical age of 13 doesn't give you the right to sit around and spout of obscenities just for the sake of it. I don't care if your 16, 45, or 8 there is NO excuse for swearing. Learn to construct a proper sentence for once.

No one likes to here profanity every second word of a sentence. The fact that parents are concerned over the language is because they have some maturity and realize using profanity 24/7 does not make you a respectable person.

So please, just either don't play or ignore them. Everyone has as much right to play in a safer environment. If you don't like it don't play. You sit here pointing out flaws when you've probably been playing since you were under the age anyways.

Just from your post, i can proudly say I've met 8 years who have more sense than you.

Pgkhqob.jpg

Proud Tip.It Moderator December 07 - October 2009
Proud TETAU Member 2006 - 2007 <3
"I had a standing agreement with god. I'd agree to believe in him, barely, so long as he let me sleep in on Sundays." - Rose Hathaway
[ Posting & You ] [ Forum Rules ] [ Next Tetau Event ]

Honestly,

Its not only nerds who play online games.

Idiot.

QFT. Do you consider the skater/punk next door a nerd? For all you know, he could be playing Runescape...

Fey, I believe you shouldn't try to make your posts smaller, nor should anyone skip them. It's kind of like a knowledge pill.

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can

Camera guy: Whoa, haha, are you okay dude?

Matt: You want anything funny that happens, don't you?

Camera guy: still laughing

Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy

Camera guy: runs away still laughing

Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

Camera guy: Hoooholy [bleep]!

Matt: FUNNY ISN'T REAL! FUNNY ISN'T REAL!

Im with you on this one.

When I was 8, I was out playing with friends all the time, couldnt wait to get out of school to go and get up to trouble, climbing up trees, building and all. It was fun.

When i was 12 my cousin showed me this game, I hated it, I rather went out and played football.

When i reached 13 i looked at it again when i was grounded, and i started playing it, and got quite into it, i guess i matured from a little from the last time i tried it.

Now im 18, still playing the game we all love and hate, and ive seen a really big rise in little kids joining the game, its quite annoying really because Jagex listen to them more than us to be honest, especially in polls.

I must admit though, i have met ONE kid that was 11 a few months ago, and i believed he was atleast 15 before he told me, shame theyre not all like that.

Brnz--4rr0wz

94 Magic, 61 Combat :D GF