Could you survive without your computer/television?

woopidoo2

I live in this neighbourhood where most people are very religious, strictly reformed.

All girls have to wear skirts all the time and they walk to the church.

(which isnt a big problem, the church is at walking distance).

They also dont have a TV / computer, because of the obvious reasons. (violence etc).

And when a little boy has hurt himself while playing, his 5 other brothers will come out to help him. :P

I was thinking to myself, while walking my dogs, would I manage without a computer/television?

Would I sit downstairs and playing games with my parents? reading the papers? I wouldnt know.

And now I ask this to you, could you survive without your computer/television?

carsignatureis3.jpg

[http://woopidoo2.deviantart.com]

[Tip.it Moderator from Dec 10, 2006 to 03 Sep, 2008]

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well they never had any of those in the first place so they're used to it.

I, myself however couldn't really because they've pretty much been there all my life. You can't really say give someone something for most of their life then take it away saying they can't use any devices like it anymore? Can't you?

swordfinalqr7.jpg

Denizen of Darkness| PSN= sworddude198

I lived some time without computer and tv some time ago when I moved to a new apartment. Actually it wasn't so hard to give up on them. I started reading much more books that time. I wasn't living 100% free of computer tho, used it in library for some things.. like ordering stuff.

Reality is hundreds of times more beautiful and more interesting than delusions. Fairy tales just tend to be easier to follow than the wonderful intricacies of life.

I haven't had TV since moving out, never really missed it. Don't know if I could say the same for living this long without a computer though.

Don't think I could.

TV? Easy. However my computer is a link to everyone I know. I don't like to talk on the phone that much so I keep in contact with people through it. It also is a source of entertainment and a lot of my hobbies revolve around it (graphic design, programming, gaming, ect.)

I mean literally -- yes, I would survive. However I wouldn't like it. :P

TV: We don't even have one, and can't say I care. I don't like the idea of just passively gawking at a screen and being spoon fed with information. When you are using the internet, you choose what you want to look at, can switch between topics and pass if you find something not worthwhile to look at. Sure, you have channels, but that's still not something you are able to personize in a level you can with browsing.

Computer: It would stink to be without it for sure, but with a little boredom I could get passed that too I think. Use radio and papers to get news, read books etc. For one, I think I would sure be able to get more of my duties done. :XD:

rickastleywh7.png

Television's getting worse and worse, though it'd be hard not to watch Simpsons every day.

Computer, on the other hand - no way. Most of my friends live some distance away, 30 minutes at least, and I don't get to see them a great deal often. It's vital for communication. It's also where I keep a lot of things - my music, composed stuff, writings, etc. Plus the whole source of information/discussion/everything. I'm a slave to it.

T.V.? sure, that wouldn't be difficult.

Computer...depends if you mean for work or relaxation? I'm pretty sure I could cope without a PC for relaxation purposes (although I wouldn't want to) but for work It would be a pretty severe dent in productivity - all the law reports, statutes, case reports and legal journals are online so I rarely have to go to a library - to be able to check a tiny detail of almost any case within in a few clicks is a great tool.

Television: Ever since I moved in to my dorm, I haven't turned it on.

Computer: Would be a little more difficult. 3 of my classes involved checking a certain website that contains various readings. Before college, I never even checked my e-mail. Once I moved here, it's practically a requirement to check it every day.

Don't think I could.

TV? Easy. However my computer is a link to everyone I know. I don't like to talk on the phone that much so I keep in contact with people through it. It also is a source of entertainment and a lot of my hobbies revolve around it (graphic design, programming, gaming, ect.)

I mean literally -- yes, I would survive. However I wouldn't like it. :P

Pretty much sums up how I feel about it.

sycosis5.png

winterkingre4.png

They also dont have a TV / computer, because of the obvious reasons. (violence etc).

And when a little boy has hurt himself while playing, his 5 other brothers will come out to help him. :P

It's sad when people outside these "communities" start thinking that's somehow bad... :P That if some kid hurts himself, you should just imitate "Nelson" from Simpsons and laugh at him instead of offering help+asking others to help you..

Yeah I could *easily* survive without a computer, but especially without a TV. There's nothing a TV is useful for that a computer can't do. Heck, while you're at it, you can watch television shows *while* you're on the computer. News gathering is also much easier with a PC.

I'd just have to ask.. Why though? What do you gain by completely isolating yourself from the rest of the world by not knowing current events in the world, people's reactions, situations concerning your country etc..

I could survive, but holy moses i'd be bored.

If 5 brothers come out to help one kid, this kid is going to end up over-protected, and the kind of guy at school whos the nerd in the corner that nobody likes because hes the teachers pet :shock:

Or maybe thats my cynical stupid way of looking at it...... :-k

megakillersigbyhawkxsrh0.png

Quit Runescape 30th May 2006.

Thanks to Hawkxs for my signature :)

I could survive, but holy moses i'd be bored.

If 5 brothers come out to help one kid, this kid is going to end up over-protected, and the kind of guy at school whos the nerd in the corner that nobody likes because hes the teachers pet :shock:

Or maybe thats my cynical stupid way of looking at it...... :-k

If those 5 other brothers grew up to have such moral standards (it's obvious you need to help a kid if he's hurt), I wouldn't give a damn what the other preppy students (who wouldn't give a dying old man's medication on his dying bed) at school think of him.

I know a lot of people from big families, they always had someone 'covering' them, and they didn't turn out to be "nerds sitting in the corner" at all.

Quite on the opposite I'd see a kid who is constantly neglected when he needs help, turning into a sociopath that will take revenge on other people by buying a gun and killing as many people in his school as possible.

Taking away a PC is like taking away a cell phone. It's not taking away something for relaxing, it's taking away a necessity of the modern world.

I have a teacher who doesn't own a TV, and spends his time reading, going to plays, and everything in between. Yes, he's an English teacher. But he still has a few computers, because, as everyone here seems to know, you just can't go without one in your home nowadays.

That, on top of the fact that like everyone else, I don't watch all that much TV, is why I could go without a TV but not without a PC.

[sure, some people could go to a cafe or something... but that's just far too tedious and time consuming to have to do all the time, in my opinion anyways :P .]

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

Losing TV wouldn't affect my life at all TBH. All that it would change is where I watch my Lost and Heroes: on my computer. So yeah, if I went without TV I would be fine, and I could certainly go without computer as well, but I would be bored to death and read 24 hours a day. And it would make my homework a lot harder.

p2gq.jpg

I'm sure I could easily live without my television set, but without my computer, I'm not so sure.

I'm going to do a comparison on the two biggest things that you can do/watch on the computer and on the TV.

News Gathering:

The computer beats the TV in news gathering by a long shot. On the computer you can find all sorts of information on anything you can imagine, the possibilities are nearly limitless, on a TV however, your restricted to whatever news show is playing and what the views of the station are (yes, in my opinion most news outlets are biased on many issues)

Entertainment:

Again, the computer beats the TV here because with the TV you are restricted to wahtever is playing, on the computer however, you have websites like youtube that provide tons of videos on many different subjects all for your enjoyment.

Also, the computer provides many ways to connect with other people, the TV does not.

Overall, I don't even need a TV set, but my computer is essential.

You can't ever find a place that's nice and peaceful, because there isn't any. You may think there is, but once you get there, when you're not looking, somebody'll sneak up and write "(bleep) you" right under your nose. Try it sometime. I think, even, if I ever die, and they stick me in a cemetery, and I have a tombstone and all, it'll say "Holden Caulfield" on it, and then what year I was born and what year I died, and then right under that it'll say "(bleep) you."

If I didn't have t3h internets then I wouldn't be able to talk to the hawt girls I know. :oops:

Go talk to them, face to face? Jeeeze, be a man!

Erm, I could survive, depending on the weather. If I could go out and skateboard, hang out with my girlfriend, or play basketball... I'd be happy as could be.

Although at the moment, I will admitidly say that I do spend alot of time at my computer, but still do all the outdoor stuff too.

I don't watch alot of TV, apart from when something I really like is on; which isn't that often.

New sig to come!