I need help with fighting the law

Zach

I read the forum rules and there isn't anything against asking real life issue help...

I was recently in a car accident and the police was involved and told me it was my fault. So, I have a court hearing next year (Jan 2008) for "Failure to give information" (I'm from Canada btw). The only thing I failed to do was giving my insurance number, but how can I defend myself? I was willing to give my other information such as driving license, address, phone number and ownership registration, but not my insurance number. However, the other driver wanted me to give my information first, but I didn't want to. So, no one received any information from one another. And when the police came and gave us paper to write our side of the story, I forgot to include this information. Am I screwed? (Sorry for the language if I offended anyone...I can't think of another word as of this moment)

What should I tell to the judge ? The truth ? Then won't he or she penalize me for not knowing the law ? I mean, I was told, according to my driving school instructor to never give my insurance number.

I'm scared because I don't want a criminal record!

I don't want to pay for something that I thought I was doing the right thing!

Btw, I'm 17 so teen driver and I used to drive a BMW 335i and the car is totalled.

Edit: Just a clarification, I didn't show my information to the other driver, but once the police arrived, I did not hesitate to show it - only to the officer

1st, did mommy and daddy pay for the car? At 17 seems like its out of your price range. Maybe too powerful? 3.0L engine and 306hp.

Secondly, I believe you are being taken to court for not giving the insurance number because they think you don't have it, if you had given it then you would not be going to court about the matter.

swordfinalqr7.jpg

Denizen of Darkness| PSN= sworddude198

Hmm, your story has changed quickly.

The only thing I failed to do was giving my insurance number, but how can I defend myself? I was willing to give my other information such as driving license, address, phone number and ownership registration, but not my insurance number.

I still stick by my point it may have been too powerful for a novice driver.

EDIT: And you haven't said how the accident happened, for all we know it is your fault.

swordfinalqr7.jpg

Jesus, they send cases like this to court, do they not know how much litigation wastes tax payers money? Seems like you should have entered some form of mediation. Anyway sounds like a case for the civil courts, so no I severely doubt you will get a criminal record. The most maybe would be that you have to pay reperations.

Signature3.gif

With so many trees in the city you could see the spring coming each day until a night of warm wind would bring it suddenly in one morning. Sometimes the heavy cold rains would beat it back so that it would seem that it would never come and that you were losing a season out of your life. But you knew that there would always be the spring as you knew the river would flow again after it was frozen. When the cold rains kept on and killed the spring, it was as though a young person had died for no reason. In those days though the spring always came finally but it was frightening that it had nearly failed.

Now, why didn't you show a fully-qualified member of the authority your insurance number?

Because I thought I wasn't supposed to...

I was just following what I heard from my driving instructor

You should have told the driver your details and if he didn't give them back you could have got him. By details i mean your name and the name of the insurance holder and gave the police your insurance number.

And we don't know anything about what happened but you were in such a powerful car and are a new driver.

Dude, are you a freaking moron?

If an officer asks for information, and has shown his badge, give him it. I'm surprised you never got a ticket because he thought you had no insurance.

you'd get more in the uk as well. Prob dragged to a jail cell whilst there at it.

If an officer asks for information, and has shown his badge, give him it. I'm surprised you never got a ticket because he thought you had no insurance.

I DID show my information to the police officer without any hesitation.

I DIDN'T show my information to the other driver BECAUSE he kept on persisting on ONLY MY INSURANCE NUMBER. Then I recalled something that I learned form driving school.

you'd get more in the uk as well. Prob dragged to a jail cell whilst there at it.

I know that man, they'd take the car off you aswell, charge you for its release and for every day they have it.

Now that could easily go up to around ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã250*, so is it going to be ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâãxx per month for insurance, or ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã250 and the ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâãxx per month for insurance.

*I'm most likely well off, this is just a rough guess.

EDIT: Zach, maybe you shouldn't change your story and read before you post?

swordfinalqr7.jpg

I DID show my information to the police officer without any hesitation.

I DIDN'T show my information to the other driver BECAUSE he kept on persisting on ONLY MY INSURANCE NUMBER. Then I recalled something that I learned form driving school.

Thing is all you need is there name.

You can ring up your insurance and claim from them because they can find it for you. Well it worked for my dad.

563.png

There's your help with the law.

=D

Out of all serouisness, I have no idea how you guys handle insurance accident policies up there but if you're not paying for the car, then it could be bad.

Chances are you could be in somekind of trouble here.

:(

DaBulls.jpg

The internet is not the place for practical legal advice - call yourself a lawyer.

First just quoting another post is spam.

Second, some of us could know something about the law, it never hurts to ask.

Thanks, Mr. Mod. Why don't you delete my post? Oh, that's right, you can't because you're not a moderator.

If his parents can afford a BMW then they can probably afford an attorney. This isn't a place to ask for legal advice, as stated. He doesn't need to be taking legal advice from any of you geniuses.

The internet is not the place for practical legal advice - call yourself a lawyer.

I know, but I'd like some second opinion

And, I need to wait until Saturday because my parents are in a business trip right now...and I don't have any money to pay an attorney. But, I guess it doesn't hurt to ask two of my parents' friends who are a tax lawyer and a persecutor...but I want my parents to talk to them...

The two people that you mentioned would be great to ask. It's ok that you want a second opinion, I just don't think here is the place to get it. You could even try a legal advice forum if you want. Almost no one here is qualified to be giving you legal advice though, that's all I was saying.