Major lag with Runescape.

Caxis

Lately I've been having some horrible lag with Runescape, the worst I've ever had. On some worlds, I get a good connection but after about 10 minutes it starts to get bad. Usually my character will stop moving, but I see other players running around, then after 15 seconds I see the log in screen. On most worlds, I just get a 3-6 second delay until my character stops. I don't see the connection lost message in the corner, it just takes me straight to the log in screen. If I try to log back in, it takes ages to connect again, so I try a different world. Sometimes I do get the connection lost message, but it never re-connects.

I've tried a lot of worlds from different regions, but I still get lag. The lag has been going on for about a week and a half.

My system specs:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual core processor 3800+

2GB DDR RAM

NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT

Windows Vista Home Premium

Windows Vista was freshly installed about a month and a half ago, and I don't have any adware/spyware virus's etc. I'm on a broadband connection, and have AVG and Comodo firewall running in the background. Sometimes MSN and mIRC is running as well, and I play the game in Firefox. My Java and drivers are all updated. The lag is pretty much on members worlds. (I can play for free with no lag, but paying $7 means lag? wtf?)

The lag makes the game an unpleasant experience. I almost lost over 5 million in items at kalphites. I logged in to see my character with 6hp being attacked by 4 kalphite soldiers, but I managed to eat, grab my cannon, and teleport away...

Thanks in advance :).

Hmm, seems to me you're either unable to upload, or something blocks the way. I'd say it's either your Java, your computer or your ISP.

Could you try a speedtest when it does that to see if you have something wrong with your computer?

Caxis, I've experienced problems with Java (even the latest versions) on F2P, but it was cleared up when I told Java that it had more room to work with. You may wish to try the same. If you go to (I'm using XP, I hope this is the same for Vista) "Start > Control Panel > Java Plug-In", there will be a place within that panel to add the following switch (which you can just copy-and-paste) to the RunTime VM...

-Xmx384000K

...which will tell Java that it has near 384 MB, instead of the basic 96 MB default limits, to work with as scratch space. (In case any of the propeller-heads in T&C are curious, I've seen the F2P RS HD applet eat near 120 MB of RAM in displayed usage at times, but noticed it bloating FireFox to 'hell-in-a-handbasket'... Horrible, eh?) Anywho, please try it to at least see if Java is choking, and let us know if it fixes your problem? :-s

BTW... I'll admit, I'm taking a real shot-in-the-dark here. However, even if this doesn't cure it, it will have NO negative effects to try it, except maybe slightly increased base RAM usage, but nothing horrible. (You have 2 GB of RAM, right?) Further, the change can be undone if you want by following the same info to get to the destination, and clearing the command switch. :geek:

~D. V. Devnull

[Last thought: If this doesn't work, we'll be resorting to sharper measures, quickly.]

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

I uninstalled AVG and switched to Avira, and changed my theme to Vista basic from Vista aero. The lag is gone now, so it was either the theme or AVG causing the lag.

I'd still like to increase the RAM limit for Java, but I can't find the Java plug-in in the control panel. I used Windows search and I think I found it, but I only get a black command prompt pop up for half a second when I open it.

I uninstalled AVG and switched to Avira, and changed my theme to Vista basic from Vista aero. The lag is gone now, so it was either the theme or AVG causing the lag.
Glad to hear that fixed it. ::'

I'd still like to increase the RAM limit for Java, but I can't find the Java plug-in in the control panel. I used Windows search and I think I found it, but I only get a black command prompt pop up for half a second when I open it.
As for this, just look for an item marked as "Java" (Not "Java Plug-In", I forgot the convention change between v1.4 and v6, sorry!) in your Control Panel layout. If you don't see that, I will hope that Makoto or Clare comes along with info I appear to be lacking at this time. Good Luck to you. :geek:

~D. V. "Argh, where is that panel?!?!?" Devnull

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

I found the Java control panel, and it seems that the only place to enter things is "Java Application Runtime Settings" which is under the Java tab. Each time I try to add something, it doesn't save the setting.. I might be in the wrong place though :?...

I found the Java control panel, and it seems that the only place to enter things is "Java Application Runtime Settings" which is under the Java tab. Each time I try to add something, it doesn't save the setting.. I might be in the wrong place though :? ...
Okay... We're looking at needing Clare to get her what-cha-ma-call-it in here. It looks to me like I'm lacking some key piece of info you need for being able to make it stick under Vista. :(

~D. V. "Aww, [bleep]!" Devnull

Well.. The lag is back, but not AS bad as before. I've ruled out heat, other computers connected to the network, and software conflicts. We've had a fire burning for the past few days, so I thought it might have been the heat, but we aren't burning anything today. My computer is the only one using the connection, since the other computers are off. I've also shut off Windows defender and firewall, turned off resident protection in Spybot, etc. The only security programs running are Avira, and Comodo Firewall.

It's only Runescape that lags too, my torrent speeds are fast, web pages load quickly, and so do video streams. Maybe the RAM limit increase would help, as soon as we can figure out where it is :P.

my torrent speeds are fast

You wouldn't happen to be torrenting while playing RuneScape, now would ye? That may be a problem..

The only thing I can think of is to take a picture of your processes when you lag...I've been doing it while playing WoW, and it's helped me with my lag issues...Although my fan still revvs up a bit, but that's another topic.

Just had another idea thinking about the Task Manager...Have you tried increasing the priority for RuneScape while playing? This also helps me with WoW, and I think I did it when I used to play RS, so it may help you. Set it to high (13), the one below Realtime (I don't know what that setting might do, but you could try it. I take no responsibility for the outcome should you use the Realtime priority level).

[hide=Funny Quotes]

So you sucker punched a kid in the back of the head? Good job.
What scares me is that you're like 10 years old.
-.- im not that freaking young
You were a couple years ago.
It's not racist if its true.
Hmm... I wonder how one goes about throwing someone out a window in a mystic fashion :-k

The mental image for that is freaking awesome.

[/hide]

- I dont need to "get a life." I'm a gamer - I have LOTS of lives!

my torrent speeds are fast

You wouldn't happen to be torrenting while playing RuneScape, now would ye? That may be a problem..

The only thing I can think of is to take a picture of your processes when you lag...I've been doing it while playing WoW, and it's helped me with my lag issues...Although my fan still revvs up a bit, but that's another topic.

Just had another idea thinking about the Task Manager...Have you tried increasing the priority for RuneScape while playing? This also helps me with WoW, and I think I did it when I used to play RS, so it may help you. Set it to high (13), the one below Realtime (I don't know what that setting might do, but you could try it. I take no responsibility for the outcome should you use the Realtime priority level).

DO NOT TOUCH REALTIME LEVEL!

Touching the priority is usually a bad thing to do, but you can try increasing a bit the priority and see what it does, and if it does not crash your computer, good for you. It can still create some bugs though.

The reason I tell you to not touch the realtime priority, is that by setting it to REaltime, it will make it so the thing you set to it will be run on the hardware itself and not exactly through Windows, and that will most likely crash your computer, let alone creating a lot of bugs.

I found the Java control panel, and it seems that the only place to enter things is "Java Application Runtime Settings" which is under the Java tab. Each time I try to add something, it doesn't save the setting.. I might be in the wrong place though :? ...
Okay... We're looking at needing Clare to get her what-cha-ma-call-it in here. It looks to me like I'm lacking some key piece of info you need for being able to make it stick under Vista. :(

~D. V. "Aww, [bleep]!" Devnull

Considering Vista's new user-level privvys, perhaps you need to run it as Administrator?

Oh, and when you edit the Java settings, make sure that it looks like "-Xmx***m", where *** is either 128, 256, or 512, in terms of MB of RAM.

On the issue of lag, perhaps it might be time to perform housecleaning on your machine, namely defragging, clearing your cache, removing applications you don't use, etc. I believe that the defrag program is still under All Programs - Applications, or you can use the Windows Search bar to find it.

Here's a quick synopsis of what the priority levels in an OS mean.

------

The OS cleverly manages the amount of time any one program can have inside of the CPU by specifying priority levels. The rule of priority is simple: the higher the priority, the more CPU time it gets. However, the OS manages this in a manner that best suits the operation of the machine itself, not necessarily to boost any end-user experience (although advanced users can tweak it as such). The one major reason that people don't go around, saying that they should put their own processes at a higher runtime level is because of a simple phenomenon - starvation.

Starvation is simply when a process or thread doesn't get adequate CPU time to perform its operations, and if it is a vital process, that can mean terrible, terrible things.

Basically, don't go tweaking that stuff, since it can make your system unstable. Let the OS decide which process needs more priority; while a re-niced* process will produce a little bit more speed, it can severely degrade further performance.

* Nice is a UNIX term, it basically means the same thing as setting a priority level. Re-nicing is basically resetting a priority level.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

I'm not going to mess around with setting priorities.

On the issue of lag, perhaps it might be time to perform housecleaning on your machine, namely defragging, clearing your cache, removing applications you don't use, etc. I believe that the defrag program is still under All Programs - Applications, or you can use the Windows Search bar to find it.

I don't have any programs I don't use regularly, so I don't have anything to clean up. I've set Firefox to clear the cache each time I close it. As for defragging, I haven't defragged my drive in over 5 years, and I don't see any reason to, since I formatted when I installed Vista (About a month and a half ago).

Considering Vista's new user-level privvys, perhaps you need to run it as Administrator?

Oh, and when you edit the Java settings, make sure that it looks like "-Xmx***m", where *** is either 128, 256, or 512, in terms of MB of RAM.

Agreed, on their needing to possibly run the app with Admin Priveleges... Although under XP, users were allowed their own custom settings for their JRE Runtime systems. I hope they didn't change that. :-k

As for using the switch with a "###m" spec, I used a "######K" spec because it allows finer tweaking, thereby allowing a user to use only what they want. And yes, if we wanted to nitpick, we could go with "#########" (no grouping symbol) and break it down to bytes, but I think we can both agree that's unnecessary? :P ... As for your choice in using a small versus my capital, I'll leave that to semantics... Especially after having refreshed my mind with this page from Sun's Docs (which just happens to also work with the latest Java)... Although I think that the capital might be preferred with how most OSes do it these days... :geek:

~D. V. "Ouch... Yes... Uh-huh... Hrm..." Devnull

(p.s.: Glad to see you, Makoto. ::' ...)

I don't have any programs I don't use regularly, so I don't have anything to clean up. I've set Firefox to clear the cache each time I close it. As for defragging, I haven't defragged my drive in over 5 years, and I don't see any reason to, since I formatted when I installed Vista (About a month and a half ago).

Defragmentation actually does a lot for Windows, since the file format is highly prone to fragmentation of files. I won't go through a whole spiel on fragmentation, so I'll give you the quickie version: It's a lot easier to find quarters if they're together than it is if you had to go through the entire penny jar. I would be slightly concerned too, since formatting over a fragmented drive could perhaps lead to problems later.

Agreed, on their needing to possibly run the app with Admin Priveleges... Although under XP, users were allowed their own custom settings for their JRE Runtime systems. I hope they didn't change that. :-k

As for using the switch with a "###m" spec, I used a "######K" spec because it allows finer tweaking, thereby allowing a user to use only what they want. And yes, if we wanted to nitpick, we could go with "#########" (no grouping symbol) and break it down to bytes, but I think we can both agree that's unnecessary? :P ... As for your choice in using a small versus my capital, I'll leave that to semantics... Especially after having refreshed my mind with this page from Sun's Docs (which just happens to also work with the latest Java)... Although I think that the capital might be preferred with how most OSes do it these days... :geek:

~D. V. "Ouch... Yes... Uh-huh... Hrm..." Devnull

(p.s.: Glad to see you, Makoto. ::' ...)

Getting down to the nitty-gritty might be helpful if you wanted to go seriously meticulous in how you managed Java's memory. However, I really doubt that someone wants to think in terms of K instead of M. 524,288K is harder to remember than 512M, and that's tons simpler than 536,870,912. But, at least that jogged my memory too, I forgot completely that I could specify K, and I didn't remember whether or not the grouping symbol was case-sensitive.

[Glad to be able to materialize when required. ;)]

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

I've figured out where to change the settings, and have given Java 300MB to work with. But I still get lag, and I've been playing on the lowest detail too. I'm going to try IE tomorrow, it might be an issue with Firefox, but I doubt it...

I've figured out where to change the settings, and have given Java 300MB to work with. But I still get lag, and I've been playing on the lowest detail too. I'm going to try IE tomorrow, it might be an issue with Firefox, but I doubt it...
I have one small question for you then... What FireFox version are you running? :-s

~D. V. "FireFox trouble? Are you kidding?" Devnull

Version 2.0.0.17, some of my clan mates have some problems with version 3 and Runescape :?, so I didn't update...
Very strange... I'm on FireFox 2.0.0.6 (Nobody yell at me, I'm not in control of the upgrade process here!) and having no trouble. :-k ... All I can suggest would be to downgrade one version level, back to only 2.0.0.16, and see what happens. :|

BTW, I don't recommend this, except as a last resort... It will re-open a small hill of bugs (which you're normally unlikely to encounter) to follow this action. :oops: (Heck, it embarrasses me to even be thinking of this as an option! I am probably going to take a 'verbal ganking' over it.)

~D. V. "Downgrade? Not my idea of a good day." Devnull

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a couple weeks, but I've thought of two theories why my internet could be slow. It affects all our computer too, after I've used them, so it's not limited to mine. I've also noticed it starts lagging at around 5:00 here, and my theories are..

1) Since we're on cable, when my mom uses the TV in the kitchen (We only got it recently) it takes up some of the bandwidth and causes lag. I don't think this is the problem though, because when all the TV's and computers but mine were off, I still had lag.

2) A new subdivision was built nearby, and new residents are starting to move in. We might be part of the same node, and because more houses are hooked up to the same cable, everyone lags. Since most people come home from work or school around 3:00-5:00, Internet and TV usage would be at it's peak.

So maybe the problem is out of my control, I might give my ISP a call though.

I might give my ISP a call though.
I would very much encourage that... If you know the problem is not with your Home LAN, then this is the next best thing to do! The problem might just be on their end... LOL! :lol:

Just one thing that I recommend, when you do, is to make sure they do not give you the 'run-around' in trying to get help. (I've had bad luck with a mere few ISPs, so that is why I'm mentioning it... I hope your ISP is not like that, but I don't know.) If you have to, take it all the way to their network techs who are in the control room. :geek:

And good luck getting the problem fixed, if it is possible to do so. 8-)

~D. V. "Go call 'em, and don't mind my grim-ness." Devnull