Barrows - Do you mind the degrading?

Goldenjkered

I thought I'd make a topic regarding something else than pvp (although barrows can be related to that). Barrows is the cream of the crop of armour (apart from the new pvp armour), it has high bonuses and it doesn't exactly look to bad either. However, as everyone knows it degrades and can only be repaired via coins, either by using it on a number of npcs across runescape or fixing it yourself in your house.

Now, I would use barrows but I have this OCD thing, where if something feels unclean or tarnished I can't use it. For example I have to throw the last 1/5 of a drink down the sink as I can't drink the rest, or I can't use a glass, cutlery once they have been made too dirty. This is going off the point here, but the same applies to me for barrows armour, I can't just can't stand using it just because whenever you use from being fully repaired, it gets a number next it, and that to me makes it un-useable. I also don't like the fact that when your using it, its like paying a rental cost for every minute you use it. So I was wondering does anyone else not like using barrows because its not 'full' like other amour once it been used, or because it costs to use over time?

Goldenjkered.png

Whips: 3 Dragon Boots: 15

My 99's: Attack & Cooking

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Goldenjkered

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like it. The defence bonuses far outweigh the cost.

It wouldn't make sense to have armour that powerful without it having a catch.

So don't let anyone tell you you're not worth the earth,

These streets are your streets, this turf is your turf,

Don't let anyone tell you that you've got to give in,

Cos you can make a difference, you can change everything,

Just let your dreams be your pilot, your imagination your fuel,

Tear up the book and write your own damn rules,

Use all that heart, hope and soul that you've got,

And the love and the rage that you feel in your gut,

And realise that the other world that you're always looking for,

Lies right here in front of us, just outside this door,

And it's up to you to go out there and paint the canvas,

After all, you were put on the earth to do this,

So shine your light so bright that all can see,

Take pride in being whoever the [bleep] you want to be.

I don't mind it, personally. Most of the stuff you use it for is stuff that you make money doing.

Also helps to keep people from being able to camp somewhere for way too long, imo.

Started free trade with 1.5m cash. 2 weeks later, have hit max cash 2x.

PvP drops: 359 Brawling Gloves, 11 Vesta's Longswords, 41+ Zaros/Ancient Statues

9 Dragon Full Helms, 3 Dragonfire Shields on the old PvP loot system

Brawler guide is being finished!

Yeah, I don't mind it degrading but it does get a little annoying having to repair it every couple of days. A small price though for the defense bonuses.

2008sig2nb6.jpg

Quit RS 2005 | RSN: Johnalder

Back as of 5/7/2008!

Dragon Drops: x1 Med, x5 Legs, x4 Skirts, x25 Boots, x1 Visage | x7 Abyssal Whips

The degrading is totally worth it. The defense, attack bonuses of weapons, and the set effects all make it worth it. Plus its a whole 15 hours of pure combat, and the cost of that, with a decent smithing level, is 250k or so. (For an entire set)

So ya.. I'd say repairing is completely worth it.

sgsagssighe6.jpg

the trick is to balance all of these methods to get 99 and either play real life or train another skill while farming.

635th to 99 Farming 12/16/07

I'm indifferent really. It gets a bit annoying if I forget to repair and it breaks, but for really cheap but good armour it's a small price to pay.

tifsiggy.jpg

Thanks to Quarra for the awesome sig!

Xbox360 Gamertag = Tintin113

It was annoying when you spent most of your money for a full set, but once you have money to repair it, it is worth it.

35bvvh1.png

[hide=Quotes]

Albel/Justin

Albel doesn't say anything anymore, just comes in, leaves an arrow and vanishes into the night :(Probably
practising some euphonium

You nearly had me fooled, you fooler you

Euphonium/10.

9/10. To me, always associate Albel with musical stuff in OT.

Everyone with a goatee and glasses is Albel now.

lmfao albel m8 wat r u doin, hi though.

[/hide]

[hide=Runescape Achievements]99 firemaking(2007), 99 woodcutting(2008), 99 fletching(2009), 99 magic(2010), 99 cooking(2010), 99 farming(2011), 99 construction(2011), 99 runecrafting(2012), 99 Hunter (2014),  99 ranged (2015), 99 HP (2015), 99 Slayer (2015), 99 attack (2015) 99 Defense (2015) 99 Prayer (2015) 99 Summoning (2015) 99 Strength(2015) 99 Herblore (2015) 99 Dungeoneering (2017)  99 Mining (2017) 99 Crafting (2017) 99 Smithing (2017) 99 Thieving (2017)  99 invention (2017) 99 Fishing (2018), 99 Divination (2018), 99 Agility (2018), MAXED (05/17/2018)[/hide]

The only thing that bothers me about the degradation is that it was implemented so that Dragon armor would not become undervalued...Other than that, I'm fine with it.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

This is irrelevant to the topic really, but I would just like to point out to you, incase you dont already know, that your government has guidelines set as to the ammount of insect parts are allowed to be in food you buy from major companies. And no, the limit isnt zero. So basically if you ever eat or drink anything that was made by a major corporation, it has been tainted with disgusting ground up maggots that crawled into the flour grinder.

Have fun eating.

Your post is way more irrelevant than this topic.

I don't mind it on karil, guthans, dharok, and ahrim, but ive never liked torags, lol. Dunno why, always just used dragon (and now bandos) over it.

35b9enp.jpg

This is irrelevant to the topic really, but I would just like to point out to you, incase you dont already know, that your government has guidelines set as to the ammount of insect parts are allowed to be in food you buy from major companies. And no, the limit isnt zero. So basically if you ever eat or drink anything that was made by a major corporation, it has been tainted with disgusting ground up maggots that crawled into the flour grinder.

Have fun eating.

What are you on about? :|

Have fun eating.

The OP seems to have very picky eating habits. I just thought I should ease his mind and make his life a little easier.

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

Have fun eating.

The OP seems to have very picky eating habits. I just thought I should ease his mind and make his life a little easier.

O-kay... but you got it wrong! It's not maggots- it's cockroaches. They get everywhere. But even then, most foods have an extremely low content of unidentified substance. And that substance can be dirt, miscellaneous cuts of poorer meat, and stuff that just fell in. The only exception is the hot dog- it's allowed a high amount of rubbish. Remember Zoidberg- "Give me something crawling with parasites!"

And now on to business. Barrows has been shown, time and time again, to be worth the cost. With the addition of the armor repair stand, it costs even less if you have even a moderately high smithing. At 99 I believe you get half off. So, going by levels, even at 50 you should get a quarter off repair costs, unless the reduction rises exponentially.

If the CORPORAL beast is this hard, imagine how hard a GENERAL or COLONEL beast would be. a corporal is not even an admirable rank in armies that use that ranking system.

Yeah, it is a pking minigame, so any arguments anybody makes will probably be biased.

The best way this will end :Everybody just says,"I'm not arguing with you anymore, goodbye."

The worst way this will end: I don't really know, psychological warfare? Worldwide thermonuclear war? Pie eating contest?

Imo barrows armour is lame so I agree with you not liking to use it. However I think the degradability of it is a necessity to stop everyone donning a set and then never having another worry again.

Why is it lame then?

2j3qh46.jpg

Imo barrows armour is lame so I agree with you not liking to use it. However I think the degradability of it is a necessity to stop everyone donning a set and then never having another worry again.

Why is it lame then?

He's a pure. If you want to be a true pure, you have to vow never to use your brains properly.

2dvjurb.png

Why is it lame then?

He's a pure. If you want to be a true pure, you have to vow never to use your brains properly.

True, just hoping he can come up with a decent explanation for why it's lame.

2j3qh46.jpg

Why is it lame then?

i think he is saying that using barrow Armour is lame because he cant hit through it with his awful attack bonuses :wall:

i fixed the boat :)

fixedboat.gif

For the defense bonses and special effects as a whole, it's way worth the degrading. My 73 smith + POH makes it cheaper too :twisted:

aporia.png

95/99 Summoning

95/99 Slayer

[hide=This is what you look like when you play RS too long]2vvq0z4.jpg[/hide]

Why is it lame then?

i think he is saying that using barrow Armour is lame because he cant hit through it with his awful attack bonuses :wall:

-.- It's considered *cool* to bash pures, but what you're saying is just as ignorant if not more. Players have the right to build their character in whichever way they want, choosing a type a character over the other doesn't mean they're "unable to use their brains" >.>

2480+ total

Hasn't bothered me much, mostly though because i don't use barrows- guthan is useless now, and bandos is much more efficient to use compared to melee barrows. Karils is weak compared to armadyl and I rarely need to use ahrims, though it's the only useful set atm. Also my repair cost is 50% :D

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

I have some OCD traits aswell. I cant get my hands to dirty, i wash them like 15 times a day. If i were on an island and all they had to eat was chicken wings i would starve to death. Also, i cant go up or down stairs without counting the steps.

as for the barrows? It costs nothing to repair it. 15 hours of slayer is alot of cash.

Fools_Taco.png