Mother Gaia: An In-Depth Manual to Farming

Zaaps1

Thanks all!

Trollheim tab removed again.

Good thing I bought my papay tree seeds a few days, but bad thing I didn't buy a stock of herb seeds...

What do you think, will seeds just go up along with herbs, or will farmers make more profit of this update. I fear it is the first option, leaving us farmers just with bigger investment costs (which isn't a problem for me though).

You speak of the herblore update? I'm sure that my guess is as good as anyone's, but I believe that it's a win-win for farmers, herb farmers at least.

In the initial influx, many people will be buying herbs to produce potions with. Increase in demand = more profit since the supply probably won't go up nearly as much.

Then as it dies down, you have many people making these higher-level potions. While overall, herbs such as snaps and ranarrs will be more profitable to farm opposed to before, the bigger benefit would be herbs such as torstol gaining popularity in farming. With so many more people at higher herblore levels, the higher level herbs will have a huge spike in demand, and therefore become more profitable.

But of course, I could be wrong. That's just my prediction.

You might want to add that if you don't have 83 farm (Brimhaven spirit tree), you'll need to charter a boat from the catherby dock instead (240gp)

Or tele to Ardy and take a 30gp ship from there.

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

8,325th to 99 Firemaking 3/9/08 | 44,811th to 99 Cooking 7/16/08

4,968th to 99 Farming 10/9/09 | Runescaper August 2005-March 2010

Tip.it Mod Feb. 2008-Sep. 2008 | Tip.it Crew Sep. 2008-Nov. 2009

I feel like a noob, but what do I do to ask a farmer to chop down my tree (not fruit trees, but the log-givers)? I can't find an option in talking to them...

EDIT: So weird... I could pay farmers to cut down my yew tree, but not my willows?

By the way, I love your guide, and have used it for herbs. Just started using it for trees. Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!

"All that is gold does not glitter..."

Make sure you check the health of your trees first, before asking them to chop it down. To let them chop it down, simply right click the farmer and click the "Pay" option. Hope that helps.

When everything's been said and done, more has been said than done.

All skills 80+

angel2w.gif

Make sure you check the health of your trees first, before asking them to chop it down. To let them chop it down, simply right click the farmer and click the "Pay" option. Hope that helps.

It simply doesn't work to have the farmers cut down willows. At least, I can get everything else but willows cut down. So I don't think it's me...

Maybe it's because willows grow those branches?

"All that is gold does not glitter..."

Sorry for not replying. The new forum had this guide buried in my third page <_<

Anyway to answer your question, you CAN pay farmers to cut down willows, but they willows CANNOT have branches grown. I've personally been able to pay to cut down willows, so I can confirm this. I can also confirm not being able to cut willows, which seems to prove my theory. So if you cannot cut down those willows, use secateurs to get the branches, then try again. If it still does not work, then get it out the old-fashioned way and next time pay the farmer IMMEDIATELY after you check-health.

If it still does not work, then get it out the old-fashioned way and next time pay the farmer IMMEDIATELY after you check-health.

I've been farming willows since level 50, and sometimes I run into the issue even when I do pay right after checking health. It's very annoying.

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

Probably come up with an issue with ticks. As if you planted the tree and a tick came immediately after, kinda like when weeds appear instantly after you harvest.

Is very annoying, but at least it's only with willows.

• 3 weeks later...

Added Ardougne Achievement Cape into various parts of the guide.

Without a doubt, this is the best farming guide I've ever read..and I've read lots. I love the skill. I'm just not all that efficient at training it for some reason..currently 88. Thank you for caring enough about this community to put together such a well thought out, comprehensive guide. I'd hit the 'you rock' button if there was one.

jfroggy

Thank you! I'm glad I could be of so much help :thumbsup:

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

Here are two alternate teleports that I think are useful.

Rimmington: Skills neck to crafting guild. You have to run down but it's not far. This is good for players like me who like to have their house in Yanille or elsewhere.

Brimhaven: Karamja(3) gloves to Shilo and then cart (10gp) to Brim. This one is useful if your spirit tree is growing.

jfroggy

First I must say this was a very helpful guide.

Thank you for that.

Secondly I was wondering how the timers on trees are calculated.

Tip.it says it takes about 14 hours and 40 minutes to grow a fruit tree.

I have planted my palm trees yesterday around 11pm without paying the gardeners.

So they should have been fully grown by 2pm today or died before that.

Its 7pm now and they still are not fully grown.

Does that mean the 14.6 hours which it takes to grow a fruit tree have to be playing hours?

First I must say this was a very helpful guide.

Thank you for that.

Secondly I was wondering how the timers on trees are calculated.

Tip.it says it takes about 14 hours and 40 minutes to grow a fruit tree.

I have planted my palm trees yesterday around 11pm without paying the gardeners.

So they should have been fully grown by 2pm today or died before that.

Its 7pm now and they still are not fully grown.

Does that mean the 14.6 hours which it takes to grow a fruit tree have to be playing hours?

One of three thoeries:

-The time is a minimum, and disease isn't the only factor that that influences growth time

-Disease has a small chance of curing by itself

-It is a bug

Based on person experience, I feel that it is best to grow fruit trees in 20-24 hours if you do not use supercompost. This almost always ensures growth (plus you can potentially harvest a calquat as well).

Frogact: Will add later, thanks!

Something else I'd like to note on my experiences with fruit trees, I plant all patches except the one in Lletya, and no matter which order I do the other 4 in, The patch in Catherby is always the last to grow, so I always visit that one first to ensure that the others are grown. Don't know if someone else has had similar findings, but this is what I've seen after over 1,000 fruit trees.

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

I've noticed a similar pattern, plus Gnome Stronghold tends to be the first. But I don't think the information is accurate or supportable enough to be in the guide.