6.2. Equipment and inventory

6.3. Tactic

7. Guide if you buy all minerals

7.1. Levels

7.2. Equipment and inventory

7.3. Tactic

8. Closing words

1. Introduction

Do you want to know how to effectively catch rocktails, the best food available in Runescape? Do you like getting fishing xp compareble to shilo fly fishing while getting even over 245k income per hour? You can easily multitask there too if you got decent combat level. Got hooked? Got 90 fishing or going to get it? Continue reading!

[hide=2. Random rates:]

- Please not that everything is based on maxed combat stats, 99 fishing (and 79 mining)

XP rate: Around 42k/hour with granite lobster and 99 fishing. Equals to around 110 rocktails/hour.

XP rate testing

Starting xp: 37,000,500

60 minutes later: 37,043,073 (42,573 earned)

60 minutes later: 37,084,113 (41,040 earned)

120 minutes later: 37,171,133 (87,020 earned)

Note: My connection was a bit laggy when doing this test which may result a bit too low xp rates due to banking taking longer. I probably also fought some living rocks and wasn't so experienced in safespotting as nowadays.

Afterwards i did another test:

Starting xp: 40,283,237

60 mins later: 40,337,017 (53,780 xp earned, equals to 141 rocktails/hour)

Much is up to luck too.

Living minerals consumption rate: around 90/hour or 90/110 catched rocktails or 90/42k xp. I have done just 1 test for this so it may not be very accurate but should give you some idea in case you are going to buy all your living minerals.

GP rate: Depends on what price rocktails and living minerals are stabilizing. Let's assume their price will stabilize at 2,5k ea for rocktail and 500 ea for living minerals. Let's also assume granite lobster gives your 15k extra profit per hour (sharks and swordies):

110*2500 - 90*500 +15000 = 245k profit/hour

GE price links:

Rocktails

Living minerals

[/hide]

[hide=3. About familiars:]

Don't bother with granite crabs.. They are not worth the extra inventory spaces you need for pouches.

52: Spirit terrorbird (use it in the beginning for extra inventory space if you want but don't bother with extra pouches

56: Ibis. Take 5 pouches and 1 summoning pot (4)

62: Ibis. Take 6 pouches and 1 summoning pot (4)

68. Bunyip: Take these if you feel you need.. I suggest these only if you are low level without EE or SGS (or regen brace)

74: Granite lobster. Take 5 pouches and 1 summoning pot (4)

82: Granite lobster. Take 6 pouches and 1 summoning pot (4)

96: Pack yak. I don't really suggest using this, banking doesn't take that long and storing fish into it is often annoying if you are attacked too. And you also lose +4 fishing boost of lobster and all sharks and swordies it would produce.[/hide]

[hide=4. World choice:]

84, 2 or any other world with populated Cavern. 84 is my favorite. Working alone is not as efficient because monsters will concentrate on you more thus slowing down xp rates and making you to take more damage.[/hide]

[hide=5. Fishing shoals, safespotting and other tactics]

Fishing is pretty straightforward, right? Just click on rocktail shoal and watch when your inventory gets filled and bank when you get full? Basically that's it but I have some tips however.

- Try not to run through strikers when you are going to shoal after banking/shoal disappearing. It requires a little effort to run around them but you really save some time doing so avoiding the need to safespot them.

- This is important: You should never kill living rock strikers/protectors if you get attacked. It's wasting time because they have so high hp and your stats are not boosted. Moving to different shoal and safespotting them are much faster ways to continue fishing. Safespotting also prevents you from getting attacked again by same living rock. In that way you won't need as much healing either. If you do kill them for living minerals I suggest killing them separately with boosted stats and equipment that's best for that purpose (read part 6 in this guide)

Well, how to safespot and switch shoals then? A bit different ways for different shoals, these are the 5 shoals that I have found being best to use. If you are fishing on unbusy hours you should use only first 2.

Map picture:

livingrockcavernmap.png

Shoal #1

This is definitely best spot available. You can trap the only living rock protector easily and then fish without worrying about getting attacked

shoal1.png

Safespotting tactic for this spot:

- Run into the spot shown in picture and then back.

shoal1safespot.png

Shoal #2

This would be the best spot if only it wasn't so far away from deposit box. You never get attacked here.

shoal2.png

Shoal #3

If you are alone you can safespot 1 striker but another will still occasionally attack you. If getting attacked you can also move to shoal #4

shoal3.png

Safespotting tactic for this shoal:

- Run into the spot shown in picture and then back.

shoal3safespot.png

Shoal #4

If you get attacked switch to shoal #3 or #4 if available. You can also safespot by running first to shoald #3 and then back. Another choice is to go north to shoal #2

shoal4.png

Shoal #5

If you get attacked first go north to spot #2. If it's not there let protector attack you and run back to #5 while being under attack so that striker won't catch you again. Another choice is to move to shoal #4

shoal5.png[/hide]

[hide=6. Guide if you get minerals yourself:]

6.1. Levels

Required levels:

Fishing: 90

Suggested levels:

Combat level generally: I suggest maxed melee and 70+ prayer but it's not required. Having lower melee stats means that you'll spend more time for getting living minerals and lower prayer means you won't get that much them on 1 trip.

6.2. Equipment and inventory:

eqinvyrocktails1.png

Equipment:

Back: Fishing cape (t) > Any other trimmed skillcape > God cloak > Fire cape

Body: Proselyte hauberk

Feet: Dragon boots

Hands: Barrows gloves/ Regen bracelet> Dragon gloves

Head: Helm of Neitiznot

Legs: Proselyty cuisse (v skirt is an option for lower levels, negative thing is that it degrades

Neck: Amulet of fury > god stole, amulet of glory, unholy/holy symbol > Phoenix necklace

Ring: Berserker ring > Ring of life

Shield: Falador shield (3)/rune defender

Weapon: Abyssal whip

Inventory:

Special weapon: Saradomin Godsword > Enhanced excalibur

Dragon pickaxe > Rune pickaxe/Adze

Living minerals (amount you desire)

Fishing rod

Super attack pot (2-4)

Super strength pot (2-4)

Summoning pot (4)

Familiar pouches

Charged combat bracelet/Lassar teleport runes

Notes:

- If you have low combat levels and you are scared of dying you can use ring of life and phonix necklace. I don't suggest using these when killing, though

- I strongly suggest using summoning potion instead of using summoning obelisk. It's much more comfortable to drink it than bank in midway of inventory because of having no summoning points to renew familiar.

- Use combat bracelet to teleport to monastery or Lassar teleport on Ancients spellbook to teleport to Ice mountains when you are going there.

- If you don't have SGS or Enhanced excalibur you might want to take bunyip.

6.3. Tactic

Basic idea of this method is that you always kill living rocks for minerals before starting to fish and once you are fishing you don't need to kill them anymore.

You may wonder why I suggest proselyte instead of bandos or barrows armour. Simply so that piety lasts for longer time in the beginning. I have found that most effective way to get living minerals by myself is to kill living rocks for 10 (or 20) minutes every time I go there before starting fishing. In this way you can use boost potions without wasting inventory space and also piety without wasting prayer potions. Having SGS greatly supports this tactic by offering free prayer points for you. Also, Falador shield (3) gives you prayer recharge which basically means 10 minutes more pietying.

Take doses of boost potions when you have used half of your prayer points. With falador shield recharge you'll use your all 4 doses in this way. Once you run out of prayer you should deposit loot and extra items leaving only familiar pouches, summoning pouch, fishing rod and living minerals in your inventory. Then just start fishing using the tactics described above.

You should use this spot for killing living rock protectors (stay off from rangers, they are slower to kill and deal more damage too):

killingarea.png

These are examples at what rate I'm getting them

10 minutes:

10minutesloot.png

20 minutes:

lootin20minutes.png

20 minutes on another time:

09100423.10.13.png

What I get in 20 minutes are enough for 3+ hours fishing (around 4 rock lobsters time). If you are not buying any minerals you might want to take only 4 familiar pouches on 1 trip. I checked also combat xp rates. When wearing Falador shield 3 I was getting 9,614 hp xp in 20 minutes. When I switched to rune defender I got 9321 xp in 19 minutes. Tried once also with Godsword and got around 9000 hp xp in 20 minutes. These rates equal to 27,5k to 29,6k xp in 20 minutes.

[hide=Dharoking tactic:]

I tried also another method of getting minerals, dharoking.

Since living rocks got crazy amount of hp they are quite good monsters for dharoking. You can either pray melee or keep your hp all the time over 10. I was able to get 650 living minerals in a bit under hour (used unicorn) when using no prayer method with maxed melee on laggy connection. If you pray melee it may be good idea to use combat bracelets to teleport to monastery and recharge prayer after it runs out. Or if you want just train feel free to waste some cash on prayer potions :)[/hide][/hide]

[hide=7. Guide if you buy all minerals:]

- So you decided to buy all your minerals. Good choice if you want faster xp while still getting good profit.

7.1. Levels

Required levels

Fishing: 90

Suggested levels:

Combat level generally: 40 defence. You can try with lower but rune armour is minimum. If you can use bunyip you can try with lower. Level 40 or 43 prayer is good idea too if you are lower level (use them when safespotting). I recommend you take some emergencyfood and don't multitask with this low level.

Lowest level I have seen fishing here is level 11. So feel free to give it a try.

7.2. Equipment and inventory

Example pic:

09100700.08.24.png

Equipment:

Back: Fishing cape (t) > Fishing cape > Fire cape > Any other trimmed skillcape > Any other skillcape/Quest cape/Obsidian cape > Cape of legends > Bonesack (e) > Bonesack > God cloak

Body: Bandos chestplate/Dragon platebody> Granite platebody > Rune platebody

Feet: Bandos boots > Dragon boots > Rune boots

Hands: Regen bracelet > Barrows gloves > Dragon gloves

Head: 3rd age melee helm > Dragon full helm > Granite helm > Dragon med helm/helm of neitiznot/rune full helm (or any other helm with same stats)/runner hat/slayer helm/Elite black full helm

Legs: Bandos tassets > 3rd age platelegs > Dragon platelegs/skirt > Rune platelegs

Neck: Phoenix necklace > Amulet of fury > Amulet of defence > Gnome amulet > amulet of glory (although useful for teleporting after ending trip)

Ring: Ring of life > Onyx ring (i) > other imbued rings

Shield: ESS > DSS > DFS > 3rd age kiteshield > Obsidian shield/Granite shield > Dragon sq shield > Rune kiteshield

Weapon: Saradomin godsword/Enhanced Excalibur/Void Knight mace

Inventory:

Living minerals (amount you desire)

Fishing rod

Familiar pouches

Summoning pot (4)

Charged combat bracelet/Lassar teleport runes

- With these items you shouldn't worry dying much. This time there's reason why fishing capes are first choices over everything: You can operate them to give you +1 fishing level for a minute! Phoenix necklaces will heal you 35 hp if your hp goes under 15% and ring of life will teleport you if your hp goes under 10% after using Phoenix necklace.

- I don't suggest wearing degrading items because you can survive without them easily. Would be waste of cash to use them in long run.

7.3. Tactic

- Not much to say here.. Just use tactics described in part 5.[/hide]

[hide=8. Closing words]

If you have anything to say I'm glad to hear you your opinion :)

Check also my other guides

75+ Crimson charms in 30 minutes - Chaos dungeon waterfiends

Orks in GWD with combat familiar (Iron/Abyssal/Lava titan)[/hide]

Nice guide 9/10.

May I ask why you reccomend bandos boots over dragon boots :?

Crybaby111.png

By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest;

Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.

- Confucius

Nice guide 9/10.

May I ask why you reccomend bandos boots over dragon boots :?

Yes. They have better defence stats than dragon boots and strength bonus doesn't matter because you shouldn't be killing anything if you buy all your baits. And they fit better if you wear full bandos ;) Don't buy them for this purpose, though :D

• 3 weeks later...

Just a little tip... the summoning potion is not really required as there is a mini obelisk just east of the rope upstairs...

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

Latest Milestones Chart update : page 602

Latest top 15 update : page 602

6 slowest skills chart : page 563

Langer, I'm very aware of that obelisk. However, I find it more comfortable to use summoning potion so I don't need to go upstairs (and bank) just because of it when having still half empty inventory. Of course it's entirely possible to just use obelisk if you want to.

Idk what's with pictures.. they are loading very slowly without getting finished. I guess I should just load them elsewhere, will do that if problem doesn't get fixed automatically soonish.

• 2 weeks later...

Just want to say that pictures are working now :) (didn't change their hosting site, though, it got fixed automatically. If that happens again I don't know what to do :D)

I seemed to be about right with rocktail price stabilizing price. Went off with mineral prices, though. Oh well, it doesn't make much difference.

I fish nowadays in World 2 and mine in world 84. I don't know why but there are not many fishers in 84 and not many miners in W2.

• 2 months later...

Not sure if you've mentioned w84 or not (I don't think you did, or at least did not emphasize it enough), but using it GREATLY reduces damage.

Sorry haven't tried cavefish. I's not much different but of course safespotting is a bit different.

Not sure if you've mentioned w84 or not (I don't think you did, or at least did not emphasize it enough), but using it GREATLY reduces damage.

[hide=4. World choice:]

84, 2 or any other world with populated Cavern. 84 is my favorite. Working alone is not as efficient because monsters will concentrate on you more thus slowing down xp rates and making you to take more damage.[/hide]

Ok, as I said though, I feel like it should be emphasized a bit more than a small note.

• 2 months later...

Thank you for this guide. I found it very helpful. :thumbup:

MY CAPES!

sig1.pngsig2.png

Dragon drops: Draconic Visage, Dragon Plateskirt, Dragon Med Helm, Dragon Platelegs

Other drops: Dragon Chainbody

e5lft5.png

Loot

↓↓

Verac's flail, Verac's skirt x2, Guthan's platebody x2, Guthan's warspear x3, Dharok's helm x2, Ahrim's hood, Ahrim's robeskirt, Torag's platelegs, Karil's top, Karil's skirt, Karil's crossbow x2