The New Guide to Pyramid Plunder

Gandorf61

sceptrei.pngThe NEW Guide to Pyramid Plunder

>>>>> Version 2.0 The latest changes to the guide can be found in a teal colour.

So you want to level your thieving but you're tired of continuously stealing from someones pockets that seem to hold enough cash to buy out the partyhat economy. Perhaps you're bored of constantly knocking out Menaphites and Bandits faster than they can get back up; or maybe you're just looking for a new minigame that's easy to learn and fun to play. In this guide I'll show you how Pyramid Plunder can be a fun way to level thieving without the lonely stream of clicking in the same spot over and over again. While it may look confusing the first time you play, you can quickly become a master at this great minigame.

Contents

1. Requirements

2. How to Get There

3. Healing & Equipment

4. How to Play

• 4.1 Step By Step Run Through
  • 4.2 Banking
  • 4.3 Floor Room Maps

5. Experience for Looting

6. Recharging your Sceptre

7. The Loot

8. Tips & Tricks

9. Closing & Credits

1. Requirements

Minimum Requirements:

Icthlarin's Little Helper (To Enter Sophanem)

21 Thieving

Recommended Requirements:

Icthlarin's Little Helper (To Enter Sophanem)

Contact (If you're banking in Sophanem, see 4.2 on banking)

71+ Thieving (81+ Thieving provides similar experience to blackjacking and 91+ Thieving allows you to get the best xp/hr in the game)

2. How to Get There

gettingthere.png

From Best to Worst:

Red Route: You can use the Pharaoh's Sceptre to teleport directly to where the mummy is to start the game. (Jalsavrah teleport)

Purple Route: Use a Slayer Ring to teleport to Sumona in Pollnivneach and then take the carpet ride to Sophanem.

Green Route: Using a Duelling Ring (Or Amulet of Glory) teleport to the Duel Arena and walk to Shanty Pass. Take the carpet ride to Pollnivneach and then another carpet ride to Sophanem.

3. Healing & Equipment

Equipment

plunderequip.png

With the run energy update last year, keeping your weight low isn't as much of an issue as you will never go below 70% when playing. In this setup I've maximized the prayer bonus so that the 2x or 5x lifepoints restore prayers can be used. It also has a bit of defence for protection against scarab swarms. Your equipment depends solely on which healing items you decide to use.

Helmet: Proselyte sallet > Helm of Neitiznot

Necklace: Holy symbol (Blessed) > Amulet of Glory

Cape: Ardougne Cloak 3 > Soul Wars Cape > Spottier Cape > Spotted Cape

Quiver: None

Chest: Proselyte hauberk > Monk's Robe Top

Legs: Monk's Robe Bottom

Weapon: Enhanced Excalibur > Pharaoh's Sceptre

Shield: Anti-poison totem > Falador Shield 3 > God Book

Gloves: Regen Bracelet > Penance Gloves

Boots: Boots of Lightness

Ring: Explorer's Ring 3 > Ring of Duelling

Equipment Notes

Tip.it's Item Database is a great place to find alternative equipment.

The Pharaoh's Sceptre is highly recommended as it saves you a considerable amount of time and makes getting to the correct starting room very quick. Either have it equipped or keep it in your inventory.

A Ring of Duelling or Amulet of Glory is only needed if you plan on banking. See section 4.2 for more information.

Wearing full penance armour is another option as it restores 3 prayer points every minute which can be helpful when using the prayer book to heal poison or the rapid restore prayer. A helm, torso, skirt, gloves and boots are all needed for this effect to work.

Healing Options

trout1.pngFood: The use of food is only needed for lower levels who don't have access to some of the other healing methods listed below. If you decide to use food go with something cheap such as trout, salmon, or tuna, as buying sharks and other high level foods is a waste of money.

bunyip1.pngBunyip: This should be your main healing method. Using a Bunyip can almost always keep up with any damage you get and can often be enough to eliminate the need for super antipoisons when used in conjunction with one of the healing items below such as the Enhanced Excalibur. Unicorn Stallions and other higher level healing familiars can also be used but are unnecessary as a Bunyip can easily keep up with the damage. Bringing multiple Bunyips and summoning potions will allow you to keep playing without banking for longer periods of time.

sword1w.pngEnhanced Excalibur: This sword requires all the Hard tasks in the Seer's Village Diary to be complete but the special attack (100% of bar) allows you to heal 200 life points over several seconds.

mace1.pngAncient Mace/Saradomin Godsword: These two weapons can be used to restore several prayer points but must hit an enemy, in this case a scarab swarm, to activate. I wouldn't recommend the use of these items as they take too much time to use to be effective.

regenbrace.gifRegen Bracelet: The regen bracelet doubles your lifepoint renewal and stacks with the Rapid Heal or Rapid Renewal prayer.

antipoisontotem.gifAnti-poison totem: When wielded in the shield slot this prevents all poisoning. It can be purchased from the rewards trader in the Daemonheim camp for 44k tokens. The levels required to use this item are 70 herblore, 60 defence and 60 dungeoneering. This is well worth getting if you plan to do a lot of Pyramid Plundering but is not absolutely necessary.

pot1.pngSuper Antipoisons: One dose of a super antipoison is enough to prevent being poisoned for one run through the pyramid. These are a must if you are only going to be using food for healing. Using multiple other healing methods listed here are often enough to keep up with the poison so that you don't need to use antipoison potions.

pray1.pngpray2.pngRapid Heal/Rapid Renewal prayers*: Using the Rapid Heal prayer (level 22 prayer req) or Rapid Renewal prayer (level 65 prayer/dungeoneering req) can provide 2x and 5x health restoration each respectively. The Rapid Renewal prayer is unlocked in Daemonheim by buying the Scroll of renewal for 107k tokens.

book1.pngPrayer Book*: The prayer book from The Great Brain Robbery quest can be used in conjunction with a Blessed Holy Symbol to cure yourself of poison. However this method should only be used if you can't use any of the other healing methods as it doesn't protect you from poison for a period of time and requires your prayer points to be recharged very often.

*Note on prayer restoration:

Prayer can either be restored at the altar in Sophanem, by the use of prayer potions, or by using the teleport to monastery option on the Ardougne Cloak 3. The Ardougne cloak is the best option by far as it has unlimited teleports almost right next to an altar where you can quickly restore your prayer and use the Pharaoh's Sceptre to teleport back to the starting point of Pyramid Plunder.

What I Use:

Personally I like to use a combination of a Bunyips, Enhanced Excalibur, and the health restore prayer. This combination is more than sufficient in keeping up with any damage taken and keeps me going for a long period of time without banking. If you use the equipment setup above your prayer will drain slow enough while using the prayer that you only need to restore it once every few runs depending on your prayer level.

4. How to Play

[spoiler=Overview Map]

mapofarea.png

Blue Dots: Entrances to the Pyramid. The Mummy will be in one of these so you have to check each one until you find the one he's in.

Yellow Dot: There is an altar nearby to recharge your prayer if you need to use it at all during the minigame. (Not recommended)

Red Dot: The ladder in the room leads down to the bank that you can access after completing the quest Contact!

Green Dot: Simon Templeton, the archaeologist who will buy all your treasures you get from Pyramid Plunder.

[spoiler=4.1 Step By Step Run Through]

Playing Pyramid Plunder is pretty simple. If you use the Sceptre to teleport you can skip the first step as you will be teleported right next to the mummy.

1. Once you have arrived at the Pyramid search the outer doors until you find the one that leads to the room with the mummy. This room changes about every 15 minutes or so.

2. When you're inside right click on the mummy and choose quick start to begin your plundering.

3. Basically what you want to do is to get to the second highest room that you can in the shortest amount of time. The levels required for each room is as follows:

• Room 1 requires 21 Thieving
  • Room 2 requires 31 Thieving
  • Room 3 requires 41 Thieving
  • Room 4 requires 51 Thieving
  • Room 5 requires 61 Thieving
  • Room 6 requires 71 Thieving
  • Room 7 requires 81 Thieving
  • Room 8 requires 91 Thieving

So if you're 91 Thieving you'll want to get to room 7 as fast as possible.

4. In each room there are four possible doors that can lead to the next room, search all of them until you find the one that takes you to the next room. Continue this with all the rooms until you reach the second highest room you are able to plunder.

5. Once you've reached your second highest room you need to check for snakes in all of the urns, and then if you have time remaining start searching the urns for more experience. At lower levels you should be able to check for snakes and search all the urns but once you get to 81+ thieving you will only have time to check for snakes.

6. When the time remaining is around a little less than half you should search the Gold Chest in the centre and start searching for the next door to go through. Be careful when searching the Gold chest as sometimes a swarm of scarabs can come out and start to attack you.

timery.png

7. In the last room you will want to check for snakes and then search every urn. Once you have completed that search the Gold Chest (again watch out for scarabs) and then leave the pyramid through the exit door if you have time left. (which you usually shouldn't)

8. That's it! Now all you have to do is bank (If you're banking see section 4.2) and you're ready to make another run through.

Notes About Plundering:

NEVER open the Sarcophagus. It doesn't give thieving experience (only strength), takes a while to open, and releases a mummy which will attack you and other players. If you want a Sceptre you're better off searching the gold chest in every room rather than the Sarcophagus' which is a waste of time.

You can use a lockpick to make opening the doors faster but you will only get half the experience so it is not recommended. Besides it is just as quick to spam click the door until it opens.

You can search the urns without checking them but the failure rate is a lot higher. It is better to check them and then search them; it gives the same experience as just searching them and hardly takes any extra time.

If you fail at checking or searching an urn you will take a small amount of damage and will be poisoned. (See the healing section for anti-poison/healing methods)

The max damage that you can be hit with is around 40 and the max amount you can be poisoned for is 30.

[spoiler=4.2 Banking]There are two ways you can bank. The first method requires a Sceptre and the second requires the quest Contact.

Method 1:

After you are finished plundering your last room use a duelling ring to teleport to castlewars. From there you can bank your loot and use your sceptre to quickly teleport to the starting point of the minigame. An alternative to this method would be to teleport to Edgeville using an amulet of glory, but it is a little less convenient as castlewars has a summoning obelisk nearby to recharge your summoning points as well as a one click bank.

Method 2:

Exit the pyramid after you've finished plundering and head to the Sophanem bank (see map earlier in section 4). From there you can bank your treasure and head back to the pyramid where you must search each door to find the room the mummy is in. There is a summoning obelisk just outside of Sophanem that can be used to recharge your summoning points if needed.

Method 3:

To use this method you will need to use a Bunyip for healing and instead of banking every trip you will only bank when your familiar dies to renew your summoning points and get a new Bunyip pouch. When using this method try to always keep at least 12 stone trinkets or 6 gold trinkets in your inventory at all times so you can recharge your sceptre when it runs out of teleports. By banking only to renew your familiar you will be able to get in an extra run per hour which can be anywhere from 10-20k experience.

[spoiler=4.3 Floor Room Maps]floorroommaps.png

5. Experience for Looting

screenshot1511200965503.png

I didn't include the strength experience for opening the Sarcophagus because I've already mentioned opening it is a waste of time.

Typically you can get around 11 runs per hour which can give you anywhere from 110k-220k experience depending on your thieving level. While it is only better than blackjacking at higher levels, it is a lot more entertaining than clicking the same spot over and over.

6. Recharging Your Sceptre

This is actually very easy to do. You can pay the mummy either 24 pottery trinkets (includes combs), 12 stone trinkets, or 6 gold trinkets. I find it best to pay him 12 stone seal trinkets because it's the cheapest way to pay him for the three teleport charges. 12 stone seals are only worth 1800gp so it's not that expensive. You also get a lot of these while plundering so you should always have some in your bank. When your sceptre has one charge left just remember to grab 12 stone seals from your bank and when you teleport to the pyramid use a seal on the mummy to get him to charge your sceptre. Note: Your sceptre can only be recharged when it has no more charges left.

7. The Loot

Simon at the Agility Pyramid will buy anything you get from Pyramid Plunder at the following prices:

screenshot1511200973510.png

If you get a Sceptre you can sell it on the GE for around 500-800k.

The Sceptre can teleport you to the following places:

• Jalsavrah - Pyramid Plunder minigame starting room
  • Jaleustrophos - The Agility Pyramid (This is where Simon is located at)
  • Jaldraocht - The Ancient Magicks Pyramid

8. Tips & Tricks

• World 64 is the unofficial Pyramid Plunder world. I personally find it more fun when plundering together with others.
  • The door to the next room will be the same for every player playing. Try working together with others to find the next door quickly.
  • The doors in each room reset every time someone enters the pyramid. If you've checked all the doors and none of them were right, check them all again. This happens more often on busy worlds but I find that the benefit of finding the doors faster outweighs the annoyance of the doors changing when someone enters the pyramid so I still use world 64.
  • You may want to bring an emergency teleport the first time you go through just in case.

[spoiler=Codguy has also allowed me to post his run through video for anyone who wants to see how the game is played in action.]

9. Closing & Credits

I hope my guide has taught you something about Pyramid Plunder. I tried to include everything I could find out to make this minigame easy to learn as well as fun to play. I'll eventually post a video with a run through to give more of an idea of how it works so you can see it in action. If you have any tips I may have missed be sure to mention them and I'll be sure to add them and credit you. Constructive criticism and comments are always welcome too. :)

Special thanks to Tip.it for providing many of the references in my guide.

Written By: Gandorf61

November 15th 2009

Also thanks to:

JoeDaStudd

magib1

Codguy

1zacman1

JacTise69

miracleman58

[spoiler=Guide History]

• Wrote Guide
  • Fixed Formating
  • Adjusted Requirements
  • Added extra inventory information
  • Added alternative banking method
  • Added additional inventory setup
  • Added Codguy's video (Thanks!)
  • Fixed Damages to reflect the hitpoints update
  • Dungeoneering prayer + penance armour added
  • Adding missing Dungeoneering rewards
  • Revamped section 3, Added floor room maps (4.3), Updated entire guide

Underbanner:

pyramidsig2.png

[url="http://forum.tip.it/topic/250989-the-new-guide-to-pyramid-plunder/"][img=http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/9300/pyramidsig2.png][/url]

Edited by Gandorf61
Fixed broken image

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Add the prayer book from The great brain robbery.

Its 1 prayer point to remove the poison.

You can wield either ancient mace or SGS to regain any prayer points (and hp with SGS).

Nice guide.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

Is it worth banking after every run or should you just tank up on food and a few super antipoison pots and just bank when you run out? Seems like this might give better exp/hour but I haven't done PP in a long time...

Magib1.png

Magib1.png

Magib1.png

Add the prayer book from The great brain robbery.

Its 1 prayer point to remove the poison.

You can wield either ancient mace or SGS to regain any prayer points (and hp with SGS).

Nice guide.

I've added a small section on using the prayer book. Not the best method to use but still viable for some players. :thumbup:

Is it worth banking after every run or should you just tank up on food and a few super antipoison pots and just bank when you run out? Seems like this might give better exp/hour but I haven't done PP in a long time...

Good point, I've listed not banking under the banking methods section, thanks!

I like ur guide, i'm probably going to get 70 some day

Good luck on your goal then, you're already getting pretty close to it. :)

Also you don't happen to know at what point Pyramid Plunder actually becomes faster than blackjacking do you? I've heard answers to that ranging from PP is always faster to it's only faster at 91+ Thieving. If you don't know it's not a big deal, just trying to get a definitive answer from someone :P

Magib1.png

Magib1.png

Magib1.png

Well at 91 thieving pyramid plunder is definitely faster. As for 81 I did a few quick calculations and the maximum experience obtainable at this level would be between 150-180k experience/hour. Blackjacking caps at around 200k experience/hour so that makes it a bit better than pyramid plunder until 91. However you also need to consider that 200k experience/hour blackjacking requires an immense amount of attention and clicking so your more likely to get less than that if you can't stay focused the entire time.

Personally I would say 81+ thieving would be the best time to switch to pyramid plunder as it is a much more relaxing method and will allow you to get very similar experience to blackjacking. It's up to personal preference really if you want to start at 81 or 91 thieving. Anything before that will give less experience than other methods though.

Alright, thanks. Got 81 a while ago and I'll probably shoot for 99 Thieving after I get wcing and I've been trying to plan it out.

Anyways great guide I'll definitely check it out again once I start training thieving :)

Magib1.png

Magib1.png

Magib1.png

• 4 weeks later...

Very great guide, well written, everything is shown well and explained well. Plus I applaud you for mentioning that you can do more than just check for snakes in the second to last room. That is a huge factor in experience per hour. A lot of people think that a little bit of experience in the 2nd to last room, and get done with the last room earlier than you're kicked out is faster, when in fact, it is not.

I personally would open all chests (I got 4 or 5 sceptres to 99 and all of them were in room 5 or lower, 2 of which were in the first room) when I was training to 99. However in the 5th room, I would check the 2 closest doors before going to the chest, as that would greatly speed things up if one of those two doors were correct. It might be a slightly slower experience rate/hour, but it's such little, and gives you a much greater chance at getting more money from training the skill, that I'd consider doing it. But that's up to whoever is training, just saying what I preferred :P

And lastly, I want to show you the setup that I used for getting the best experience per hour at Pyramid Plunder.

setupr.png

Obviously this can be tweaked to your liking if you were to use it. The reason why I find this efficient, well, the equipment is basic, and you have a negative weight bonus (which doesn't really matter anymore due to the running update) and it gives a good prayer bonus if you need it (rarely did myself).

The inventory however is quite important to me. So, summon the extra bunyip there so you have 12 extra spaces open in your inventory. Then, loot the chests (low level chests are good to loot for this too, so you fill up your inventory with stone objects sooner) and fill up your inventory. Sip your antipoison whenever you get poisoned, and then you can wait until you get poisoned again to repot. The bunyip will keep you healed with the antipoison almost no matter what. With this inventory, you can last for approximately 220 minutes, or almost 4 hours straight, without banking. Whenever you use up an antipoison potion, drop the vial and fill it up with the highest piece of gold you can get. Anyways, with this, you will last longer than the 220 minutes, so 4 hours straight. Now at 91+, you could get over 1m experience without banking. That's pretty nice. And obviously, when you need a new bunyip, summon it. There's 5 bunyips in that inventory, and if your summoning is low and you have to take a sip to summon your second bunyip, then bring a Summoning Potion (4) instead of a (3) dose.

Also, for experience rates, with this setup, and going as fast as possible, I could get up to about 270k xp/hour, averaging probably around 260-265k xp/hour. I almost always timed my hours as I was powertraining to 99 from 94. And from Blackjacking, I know that up to ~270k xp/hour (280k if you didn't fail, but you will), and at level 90, if I were to keep up my pace, I could get 240-260k xp/hour depending on failures.

Just thought I'd give you a little bit on insight on my changes to it. And if people don't believe my experience rates, I have no reason to lie, and I'm 100% sure of my rates, as it's simple to time yourself for 1 hour and look at the change in experience.

Anyways, if you want to use any of that, feel free to. But just wanted to throw out a bit of extra information that helped me get 99 pretty quickly.

codguy.png

Codguy.png

Thanks for the information codguy!

I've quoted part of your post under the inventory setups for people who want the maximum experience without banking. Hopefully I'll have some time to head back to the pyramid to try it out and see what I get at my level.

Nice guide :)

I do have an alternate way to do it though;

What I do is wear some hides and the weight reducing items. I use a bunyip to heal the damage I get. In my inventory I have 4 bunyip pouches and a 4-dosed summoning pot, also have 1 bunyip out. Nothing really new there :)

But what I also do is using the sceptre's teleport after finishing a round, this way I get to the mummy without even looking for the correct door and it's quicker than walking around the pyramid if you do know the door.

When the scepter's charges are empty, I just charge it with the loot I got from the rounds and then I continue plundering.

So basically, I sacrifice the moneyearning aspect of pyramid plunder to get some comfort and speed :D!

I've quoted part of your post under the inventory setups for people who want the maximum experience without banking. Hopefully I'll have some time to head back to the pyramid to try it out and see what I get at my level.

No problem! :)

codguy.png

Codguy.png

• 2 weeks later...

Heya Codguy, could you add me ingame? I'd like to ask you some questions about your method :) (Name: Xxyy44)

Great guide!

Heya Codguy, could you add me ingame? I'd like to ask you some questions about your method :) (Name: Xxyy44)

Great guide!

Yeah, feel free to add me. I always keep my private chat on, so anyone can message me.

codguy.png

Codguy.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It was asked of me by a Tifer to make a video of a Pyramid Plunder run with my setup. So, as follows, is a link to a video I just uploaded, with a bit of information. It shows me getting 21,920 experience in one run, or approximately (at 12 runs per hour) 263,040 experience per hour.

Enjoy.

codguy.png

Codguy.png

• 1 month later...

Added the video to the main post, almost 2 months later :XD:

Also made updates to reflect the damage changes for the hitpoint update earlier this month and fixed a few errors. I'm going to try and do some more pyramid plundering this weekend so I'll hopefully I'll be able to get some more screenshots/maps for each of the rooms. :)

pkfrlg063.png

I'm pretty sure blackjacking's faster XP regardless of level... blackjacking caps at about 240k xp/hour

At level 81 thieving pyramid plunder experience can get fairly close to blackjacking and at 91 thieving the experience is about the same, or even a bit more. The thing with blackjacking is that it requires a constant stream of clicks which makes it tiring to get top experience for long periods of time.

I think it really all comes down top personal preference. I definitely prefer pyramid plunder just because it's a little more relaxing than blackjacking but for people who have good attention spans and don't mind constant clicking then blackjacking is the way to go for them.

• 2 weeks later...