Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Computer won't read my flash drive.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

spooferfish
[ Display Name History ]

spooferfish

Crimson 'n' Gold

• Members
  • 3,774 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Spooferfish
  • RSN2:Likitung
  • Clan:OCM
I recently dumped everything off my computer and started over from scratch to try to stop my computer from randomly freezing and/or restarting. After doing so, it will not recognize my flash drive as a flash drive. It says its a smartcard reader. I tried my dad's flash drive in it and it reads that fine, but it will not read mine, which is where my resume, among other important things, is.

Also speaking of randomly freezing and/or resetting..any one have any ideas on that? :P

The Spoon-man Gets It.

5,719th to 99 Firemaking on Dec 3, '07
2rgmf54.gif
Got extra Orange Capes laying around? (just plain capes, dyed orange)  I will buy them.
Thanks Triquos

Laura
[ Display Name History ]

Laura

Cor Aut Mors

• Members
  • 3,425 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
Flash drives have short lifespans with a maximum read/write count. Have you plugged in this flash drive into another computer to make sure that it works?
Posted Image

Sbrideau
[ Display Name History ]

Sbrideau

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,322 posts
  • RSN:Sbri
Yes Spooferfish did. (btw, I love that username lol).

As for the random freezing and restarting, looks to me like overheating symptoms, have a look inside your case to see if there is a lot of dust, and if it's the case, the best way is to use a can of air to clear the dust. I don't know why it would be restarting instead of complete shutdown, which could mean something else, like a malfunctionning part.

Sbr.png

spooferfish
[ Display Name History ]

spooferfish

Crimson 'n' Gold

• Members
  • 3,774 posts
I will try my brothers computer when he gets home. I hope I can at least get the stuff off it...

My uncle things it might be overheating and a mix of the guy that replaced my screen putting in my wireless ..something (not too computer savvy :P) in the wrong port or something...

Thanks guys!

The Spoon-man Gets It.

2rgmf54.gif
Got extra Orange Capes laying around? (just plain capes, dyed orange)  I will buy them.
Thanks Triquos

Laura
[ Display Name History ]

Laura

Cor Aut Mors

• Members
  • 3,425 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None

Yes Spooferfish did. (btw, I love that username lol).

It would be highly coincidental, but it could have failed after reinstallation and in this case a hardware problem is the easiest to rule out. Although, "starting over from scratch" is a bit loose. Did you reformat and/or reinstall Windows, Spoofer? Or just wipe a bunch of files?

If your Windows XP computer is not recognizing your flash drive, its likely that you computer simply is confused as to what drive letter to assign to the memory stick. Fortunately, the fix is a simple one. This trick also works when your computer refuses to recognize a USB drive or other removable storage device.

First, hit Windows+E to open an Explorer window.

Select “My Computer.”

Right click and choose “Manage” from the contextual menu. This will open a window called “Computer Management.”

Select “Disk Management”, which is under “Storage”

On the bottom right side of the window, you’ll see a list of all of the storage devices currently attached to the computer. If your flash drive is listed there, that’s great—you can fix the problem. If not, this solution won’t work.

Right click on the drive listed in that window. This will bring up a contextual menu. Choose “Change Drive Letter and Paths.”

This will bring up yet another window, which will show your “missing” drive. Choose “Change” at the bottom.

Another window will pop up. This one will have a drop down menu on the right hand side. Choose a letter “higher” than the one currently assigned to the drive. If it’s “E”, for example, choose a letter between “F” and “Z.” Its probably best to pick one toward the end of the alphabet.

Once you’ve selected a drive letter, a warning message will come up saying that “Changing The Drive Letter of a Volume Might Cause Programs No Longer To run.”

That’s OK. It’s likely that all you’ve got on the drive is data. Click on Yes.

That will return you to the Computer Management Window.

Your drive now should function properly.

http://www.golfblogger.com/index.php/19thhole/comments/when_your_computer_wont_recognize_your_flash_drive/
Posted Image

spooferfish
[ Display Name History ]

spooferfish

Crimson 'n' Gold

• Members
  • 3,774 posts
I reformatted and reinstalled windows.

The Spoon-man Gets It.

2rgmf54.gif
Thanks Triquos

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users