RIP OLD SCHOOL

polo2340

Work in China is amazingly cheap, so cheap that hiring people is less costly in manufacturing plants than having machines do the job.

Not cheaper than botting however...

Imagine if your sweatshop consists of 10 workers, playing for 20 hours a day each and sleeping for 4 hours - Paid $2 per day?

Assuming each worker generates 400k GP / hour [This can be done without any stats] thats 4 mil GP

So ten workers would make a culminated profit of 40 mil each day

Gold sells at 2$ per mil

Thats 20$ a day outlay [Wages, at least] generating an income of 80$...

---

Bot costs $20, multiple instances can be run on multiple computers, round the clock.

Each machine runs 3 bots [Could probably run more, but i'd rather underestimate], each bot generates 400k GP / hour [This can be done without any stats] thats (400k x 3) = 1200k/hour pr machine

There's 10 machines [One for each previously occupied by a worker] so that means a total of 120mil is generated each day

Gold sells at 2$ per mil

That's $240 of profit per day [Minus $20 the first day, to purchase the bot.]

lolwut?

Hey cool statistics man you have a way with numbers. I especially like the way how would pulled them out of nowhere, sounds credible :mrgreen:

cgknightofroundsorigina.jpg

99 Hits, Attack, Strength, Defence, Mage, Summoning, Slayer, Ranged, 96/99 Prayer

Hey cool statistics man you have a way with numbers. I especially like the way how would pulled them out of nowhere, sounds credible :mrgreen:

Thats a fair point, so lets research more -

goldfarmer.png

30p / hour? Thats £3.00 per 10 hour shift [The article states they do 10 hour shifts, not 20 as i had assumed]

Three British pounds = 4.6317 U.S. dollars

Thats twice as much outlay in wages than the numbers i guessed - Making that method even more expensive.

The bots -

botgold.png

Accurate price per mil, and the bot costs way less than I had guessed - Making that method even cheaper.

Pictures not links, as I don't want to make it any easier than my google search was for the innocent and corruptible tip.it community to find the 'blackmarket' ... :rolleyes:

'Rock Hard' boss pure - 60/60 Attack | 99/99 Range | 1/1 Defence | 44/44 Prayer | 99/99 Strength | 99/99 Mage - level 79 combat EOC

## '07 Server ## "Best Runescape update ever: Removing 6 years of updates."

Rock_Hard.png

"Warning: If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all that claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think every thing you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told to want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned- Tyler"

LOL at 2004 being considered "old school", there are too many of us still around from 01-02 for you to consider 04 as old school, that means you were only in rsc for like a year before rs2, lawl.

And gf to the kid posting a picture of february 2002 recov ?'s. You do realize that is a glitch don't you... Alot of people who weren't even around then have recov questions that say they were set in february 2002, it's been a known glitch for quite awhile.

Today's game is better than the old one. I've played runescape since late 01, and the only part of rsc that i truly miss is the smaller community. Sure i loved 3 rounds of combat, "catching", staking in rsc all of that great stuff... but those features had to go in order for this game to survive. All of the problems that plague today's community existed back then too, albeit on a smaller scale because less people played. It doesn't matter how many people you "gather to this thread" the game will evolve however it will the only thing we can decide is whether or not we'll evolve with it and continue to play.

pandapk2.jpg

And gf to the kid posting a picture of february 2002 recov ?'s. You do realize that is a glitch don't you... Alot of people who weren't even around then have recov questions that say they were set in february 2002, it's been a known glitch for quite awhile.

[cabbage], your right

counting back now i was year 9 - so thats '03

bleh, what caused that glitch? :?

'Rock Hard' boss pure - 60/60 Attack | 99/99 Range | 1/1 Defence | 44/44 Prayer | 99/99 Strength | 99/99 Mage - level 79 combat EOC

## '07 Server ## "Best Runescape update ever: Removing 6 years of updates."

Rock_Hard.png

"Warning: If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all that claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think every thing you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told to want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned- Tyler"

[cabbage], your right

counting back now i was year 9 - so thats '03

bleh, what caused that glitch? :?

haha, i'm not sure. My old black pure actually from 2002 had the same glitch until i re-did my recov's in 07'. But i've seen pictures of friends who started in like 07 who's recov questions have said feb 2x 2002.

pandapk2.jpg

First of all I am not a member so i could not play classic, or a certainly would be. And you guys are not getting the point. Runescape has changed, and in unnatural ways. RWT messed up the game, and that's why I think Jagex should look back at this and realize there are now better solutions. I bet they could even make Runescape so it is impossible to macro, if they felt like it. So the problem is that the wilderness pking was removed and a trade limit was added due to RWT.

I would like to hear what are the better solutions to dealing with RWT...

I've heard a lot of "veteran" players claiming there were countless ways to deal with this in another manner and never seen any option being proposed that would have made me think Jagex were wrong.

As to the topic, some have already said it, everything you did back in 2004, you can do in 2010 except for the trade limits, old school pking or dueling. Your perception of the game has changed more than the game has changed itself.

As for the declining number of players, sure there are less players these days than in 2006-2007, but back then you could find 10-15% being either bots or macros. Yes I pulled that number out of my [wagon],but anyone playing at that time can confirm it was a real problem and would ruin the gameplay of the majority.

I still think this game is way better than at any other point since its launch.

Then have your opinions, but I know there are others on my side. This forum is for them. And how many times has it been said, even if I am not a game developer, there are people who are paid to figure these things out. And of course Jagex says they think they made the right decision. Have you ever noticed they give typical responses to their players like any brainwashed business? They respond like machines, explaining things in a manner that is clearly not the truth. For example, I might ask "why do you continue to make skills easier?" and they will say "we are not really making them easier you are mislead..." and so on, even though we all know certain skills are becoming easier, or rather less time consuming.

If you can't stand having your opinion challenged, then you shouldn't post on an open forum. Once again, you have dodged that question regarding better solutions (note that it was aimed at anyone claiming to have better solutions).

As for "brainwashed business"... Welcome to real life and marketing ploy! A great portion of business will lie and make you believe stuff to get your money. This is nothing new and Jagex is not really different than any other company in that regard.

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

Latest Milestones Chart update : page 602

Latest top 15 update : page 602

6 slowest skills chart : page 563

seriously guys, the point of this thread wasn't to hear your opinions. If you disagree with me don't bother posting, it's still here. Leave the space open to those who support. If nobody ever supports, that oh well, I would not be surprised.

I completely take this back. It was harsh and not what I really meant. My fault. I really meant to say that your opinions aren't changing mine. Go ahead and post your opinions if you want. Some of your posts just seem to come across as "you're wrong and i just proved it, so gtfo the forums!" I have a perfect analogy of how I see all this. I just recently saw the movie Super Size Me. It's about how America is fat off of McDonald's food. Its a documentary of a guy eating it three times a day for a whole month. He suffers major health problems gaining a ridiculous amount of weight. The movie sort of is a protest to McDonald's. Although people obviously will say it is a personal decision to eat McDonald's unhealthy food, and not get something healthier on the menu, that does not hinder the point of the movie. And obviously the obese customers will disagree with the movie, saying eating McDonald's is not the cause of obesity. The makers of the movie, especially the dude doing the experiment, knows it seems ridiculous to try and change McDonald's. He does not expect all the burgers and unhealthy foods to suddenly disappear, but he hopes some changes would occur. And everyone finds it ridiculous too. But after the movie was released some changes WERE made to McDonald's. Just as players (or the customers) disagree with my post(like the movie), it does not hinder the purpose, and I will not discontinue my efforts(like the movie was still made). And I do not expect Jagex's (or McDonald's) burgers to disappear. I just hope some could be taken away, or at least some healthy salads could come into existence.

First of all I am not a member so i could not play classic, or a certainly would be. And you guys are not getting the point. Runescape has changed, and in unnatural ways. RWT messed up the game, and that's why I think Jagex should look back at this and realize there are now better solutions. I bet they could even make Runescape so it is impossible to macro, if they felt like it. So the problem is that the wilderness pking was removed and a trade limit was added due to RWT.

I would like to hear what are the better solutions to dealing with RWT...

I've heard a lot of "veteran" players claiming there were countless ways to deal with this in another manner and never seen any option being proposed that would have made me think Jagex were wrong.

As to the topic, some have already said it, everything you did back in 2004, you can do in 2010 except for the trade limits, old school pking or dueling. Your perception of the game has changed more than the game has changed itself.

As for the declining number of players, sure there are less players these days than in 2006-2007, but back then you could find 10-15% being either bots or macros. Yes I pulled that number out of my [wagon],but anyone playing at that time can confirm it was a real problem and would ruin the gameplay of the majority.

I still think this game is way better than at any other point since its launch.

Then have your opinions, but I know there are others on my side. This forum is for them. And how many times has it been said, even if I am not a game developer, there are people who are paid to figure these things out. And of course Jagex says they think they made the right decision. Have you ever noticed they give typical responses to their players like any brainwashed business? They respond like machines, explaining things in a manner that is clearly not the truth. For example, I might ask "why do you continue to make skills easier?" and they will say "we are not really making them easier you are mislead..." and so on, even though we all know certain skills are becoming easier, or rather less time consuming.

If you can't stand having your opinion challenged, then you shouldn't post on an open forum. Once again, you have dodged that question regarding better solutions (note that it was aimed at anyone claiming to have better solutions).

As for "brainwashed business"... Welcome to real life and marketing ploy! A great portion of business will lie and make you believe stuff to get your money. This is nothing new and Jagex is not really different than any other company in that regard.

I already said multiple times that I don't have a solution. Jagex should because they are paid to be great game developers. And I indeed think they are, just need to change some things. I mean come on, you kill someone and you get a penalty of a lower earning potential. That is completely idiotic, because then you are rewarded for standing and doing nothing as long as you're in a certain area with 26/76k. That whole system makes absolutely no sense. I would rather have to get a 100 kill streak and then up the EP than this garbage.

seriously guys, the point of this thread wasn't to hear your opinions. If you disagree with me don't bother posting, it's still here. Leave the space open to those who support. If nobody ever supports, that oh well, I would not be surprised.

I completely take this back. It was harsh and not what I really meant. My fault. I really meant to say that your opinions aren't changing mine. Go ahead and post your opinions if you want. Some of your posts just seem to come across as "you're wrong and i just proved it, so gtfo the forums!"

So you are saying that "The point of this thread wasn't to hear your opinions" does not at all imply that which is actually implies? That it doesn't mean what you meant? It's hard to believe that you actually mean that, especially since you are basically apologizing about this fact.

Here's the thing, we know our opinions won't change yours. We are just here to point out the flaws in the thinking and logic of your opinion and get flamed for our opinion.

hatsune-miku-wallpaper-49-1.jpg

Poverty is usually measured as either absolute or relative poverty (the latter being actually an index of income inequality). Absolute poverty refers to a set standard which is consistent over time and between countries. The World Bank defines extreme poverty as living on less than US $1.25 (PPP) per day, and moderate poverty as less than $2 a day. It estimates that "in 2001, 1.1 billion people had consumption levels below $1 a day and 2.7 billion lived on less than $2 a day."[120] Six million children die of hunger every year - 17,000 every day.[121] Selective Primary Health Care has been shown to be one of the most efficient ways in which absolute poverty can be eradicated in comparison to Primary Health Care which has a target of treating diseases. Disease prevention is the focus of Selective Primary Health Care which puts this system on higher grounds in terms of preventing malnutrition and illness, thus putting an end to Absolute Poverty.[122]

------------------------

What's this then?

Funny how you pulled out the random number of $2 per day. Sweatshop workers would be more than happy to work on say $1 per day, and possibly less. That doubles the profit. Also, the money you can earn increases exponentially as you level up, since higher levels entitle you to make money faster. Most bots will probably get banned before they reach remotely high levels, and so can't earn as much money per hour.

@polo2340: What makes you think your post will be the one among millions to influence Jagex to change their decision? What evidence do you have to back up your post? It is mere opinion. The business world needs cold, hard facts to change their minds. What facts and data do you have? Nothing. It's all just influential writing. Plenty of people can do this. I can do this, my classmates can. A conman beats all of us at that.

Intelligent people don't fall for persuasive speech/writing. You can't deny Jagex's employees are smart people. How else would they come up with such a successful game?

I'm not trying to persuade you to shut up. I'm just showing you how unlikely it is a post of pure opinion is going to shake Jagex from their decision, or even to make them deviate slightly from it.

I completely take this back. It was harsh and not what I really meant. My fault. I really meant to say that your opinions aren't changing mine. Go ahead and post your opinions if you want. Some of your posts just seem to come across as "you're wrong and i just proved it, so gtfo the forums!"

So you are saying that "The point of this thread wasn't to hear your opinions" does not at all imply that which is actually implies? That it doesn't mean what you meant? It's hard to believe that you actually mean that, especially since you are basically apologizing about this fact.

Here's the thing, we know our opinions won't change yours. We are just here to point out the flaws in the thinking and logic of your opinion and get flamed for our opinion.

that's fine. It just seemed that some felt they were going to prove me wrong. I just wanted to make my point. And I am saying that "the point of this thread wasn't to hear your opinions" was a stupid thing to say and I take it back.

I just recently saw the movie Super Size Me. It's about how America is fat off of McDonald's food. Its a documentary of a guy eating it three times a day for a whole month. He suffers major health problems gaining a ridiculous amount of weight. The movie sort of is a protest to McDonald's. Although people obviously will say it is a personal decision to eat McDonald's unhealthy food, and not get something healthier on the menu, that does not hinder the point of the movie.

Funnily enough, I watched that last night on hulu.

Stupid thing was he ALWAYS finished his meal. When I start getting full (as every other rational person), I don't continue to cram food into my mouth. I don't force feed myself the other half of the super-sized fries. Of course you're going to have health problems if you force feed yourself.

The other thing was that people don't eat at McD's 3 times a day. That's unnatural. They at least go other places and get other things.

My point here -

You don't have to play runescape. You can play WoW. You can play club penguin. You can (though not recommended) play on a private server!

You have options because you're the consumer. There's your freedom. If you don't like those options, write your own damn game. Then, you can play it and tweak it as much as you want, even put it online and let others play too!

Who knows, if you do a better job than Andrew, we'll all be moaning about the steps you took to combat RWT in your game in a few years.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

I just recently saw the movie Super Size Me. It's about how America is fat off of McDonald's food. Its a documentary of a guy eating it three times a day for a whole month. He suffers major health problems gaining a ridiculous amount of weight. The movie sort of is a protest to McDonald's. Although people obviously will say it is a personal decision to eat McDonald's unhealthy food, and not get something healthier on the menu, that does not hinder the point of the movie.

Funnily enough, I watched that last night on hulu.

Stupid thing was he ALWAYS finished his meal. When I start getting full (as every other rational person), I don't continue to cram food into my mouth. I don't force feed myself the other half of the super-sized fries. Of course you're going to have health problems if you force feed yourself.

The other thing was that people don't eat at McD's 3 times a day. That's unnatural. They at least go other places and get other things.

My point here -

You don't have to play runescape. You can play WoW. You can play club penguin. You can (though not recommended) play on a private server!

You have options because you're the consumer. There's your freedom. If you don't like those options, write your own damn game. Then, you can play it and tweak it as much as you want, even put it online and let others play too!

Who knows, if you do a better job than Andrew, we'll all be moaning about the steps you took to combat RWT in your game in a few years.

well believe it or not I am learning programming and developing my own mmo is a dream of mine.

2009. It was the first time when I actually managed to do the thing I wanted to do: all quests.

But I do miss my nooby days. The feeling was so awesome then. Oh, the nostalgia...

"An Amateur practices until he can get it right. A Professional practices until he can't get it wrong."

nimetnbb.jpg

Quests just keep bringing me back to this game.

The game will never have the feeling of an unexplored wilderness such as the old days back in 2001 when I started.

That was because that was when you just started. Everyone sort of felt like it was an unexplored wilderness when first starting. When you know where everything is on the map, it kind of loses that...

I don't see the relevance of this. It'll never feel like an unexplored wilderness to be anymore just because I know the map and there is nowhere I really can explore anymore and feel like it is unexplored.

hatsune-miku-wallpaper-49-1.jpg

The game will never have the feeling of an unexplored wilderness such as the old days back in 2001 when I started.

That was because that was when you just started. Everyone sort of felt like it was an unexplored wilderness when first starting. When you know where everything is on the map, it kind of loses that...

I don't see the relevance of this. It'll never feel like an unexplored wilderness to be anymore just because I know the map and there is nowhere I really can explore anymore and feel like it is unexplored.

Emotions and logic don't go together.

Rants forum = full of emotions = no logic.

EDIT: Not saying that the lack of evidence/logic/relevance in a rant makes it valid or anything.

I really need to learn how to become a Rants forum police... because this rant is just flat out ridiculous.

The following are my thoughts and hopes of Runescape's past and future. Yes, the title is "RIP OLD SCHOOL" and yes I am a veteran player sharing memories and complaints about Runescape. Yes this has been done a million times. Yes it is bothering the new players because they know it cannot be changed and Jagex does not care. The difference between this and any other rant on any Runescape forum is that I can truly say that I have considered all aspects of this dispute. I have spent hours upon hours hearing and reading different opinions of different Runescape players. I do not wish to change anyone who does not agree with me. The point of this thread is not only to reminisce, but to hopefully make a difference.

Unfortunately, trying to make a difference by stating opinions just doesn't work. At all. You need cold, hard evidence, which apparently is lacking from this rant.

I first started playing Runescape in mid 2004, and that may not even be as far back as some of you. I saw two of my friends at school in third grade playing Runescape on the school computers. They hadn't even blocked it yet. I went home and found the game easily, and logged in as polo2340. Well, I don't remember what this felt like, it was six or seven years ago. But the memories that followed were impossible to explain. At the time, the overall feel to the game was just amazing. I can't quite explain it, but the terrible graphics didn't even matter because the gameplay made up for it. Yes there are still games today that are based more on gameplay than graphics, but to this day I haven't found one as great.

Mid 2004 is hardly "old school". That means you haven't experienced RSC, the earliest era of Runescape.

The first year of Runescape was interesting, not having a clue what was going on. I heard rumors about the wilderness, a dangerous place where other players could kill me. I saw some trees and thought I was going to be killed. I was still on tutorial island. I remember meeting some guy named weesnaw01, im not entirely sure about the numbers. Then before I had time to even realize, Santa was in Runescape. I got a yo-yo! It was great, I am so glad that I still have it. My other cool holiday items i still have are a rubber chicken, and a chicken suit.

Again, "the first year" is not 2004 in Runescape. You clearly haven't seen the times where you can get tradeable holiday drops, but that's a whole different story altogether.

The next best thing after my first memories would be meeting old friends. If only I could talk to them again. I honestly have no clue when I met them, just remember them well. Firefreek0 was my friend for years. Rustdusty343 was some guy who completed the knight's sword and could make me full steel! I thought he was god. Later a dude named runemaste999 or something like that always hung out with me. There were many others. And If any of you ever somehow happen to read this, contact me!!! I often log into Twin range10 but my old account polo2340 is still accessible.

Trying to get people to contact you won't gain you much popularity, in fact it can detract from it because people will be inclined to think you're a wannabe.

I could go on and on about all these memories, but I hope those who are reading this could too. I want true veterans to read this. Those who experienced Runescape at it's best. Sometimes I even wonder if I should consider it the same game at all. Runescape was orignally a unique game, where you could chop a tree with an axe, use a tinderbox to make a fire, and cook some nice fish. You could mine to make bars and eventually armor or weapons, witch is now obsolete. Because things weren't bought just to raise a single skill, most of the time you'd have to link them together. For example to train smithing, you'd need to mine the ores yourself. Now skills are just a way of saying , "look, I've spent this much time being a zombie and ignoring the fun of the game!". Now that Jagex obviously noticed this, they make new updates leading into more "experience buying".

This is opinion, pure opinion. While you may think training multiple skills at the same time is pure awesomeness, a lot of us think of it as tedious, which is why we worship the GE. It just made things a lot more convenient. It even made an economy in Runescape! How awesome is that?

I don't know what else to say about memories, but I'm sure you've heard enough. Sorry about the length. Now listen, any true veteran players who have experienced what I have, WE MUST DO SOMETHING. I know this sounds ridiculous and pathetic, but who knows. If you support this thread, make others aware. I don't have the answers, I just know we can do something. Tell your friends about this thread, gather all the veterans you can find, and we together shall make a difference. Other players cannot be changed. I am convinced that the only option left is to have all of us, leave no one behind, open up Jagex's minds. We could leave a forum with all who support. No, we will get more players than we can fit on the list. However we do it, ANDREW GOWER, THE GENIUS WHO CREATED THIS GAME, MUST BE AWAKEN. HE MUST UNDERSTAND THAT WITH THE MASS AMOUNTS OF PLAYERS WHO WILL JOIN THE GOOD OLD RUNESCAPE ONCE AGAIN WILL BE LARGER THAN THE SWARM OF DISRESPECTFUL, IGNORANT, INSIGNIFICANT 2010ers.

Your "petition", just like all the million other ones out there created by whiny wildy pkers, shall fail. Your stereotypicalness of the modern age is just ridiculous, as well. I'm sure the immaturity of the community is exactly the same back in 2004 as it is now.

(And like we're gonna tell others about this thread... :rolleyes: )

don't you dare read this thread and forget about it. it's up to you to bring runescape back, I did all I can typing this thing.

Unlike you, we move on from the past, and accept the modern world for what it is. Welcome to the 21st century, people!

And if anything, Runescape now is BETTER than the old school days. No more bots, no more wildy pking, no more standing in a bank going "BUY LAWS 1K EA!!!!11!!".

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

• 2 weeks later...

I pretty much feel like an idiot for even posting this thread. I admit it, this thread will never accomplish anything, i might just delete it (if possible). When I really think about it, the thought runs through my head that RuneScape is still what it once was, and I've changed. That's somewhat a valid point. The thing is, the sense of adventure I once had is not here any longer. And I know THAT is not because I changed. The old Runescape left many memories that I will never forget. Here is what shows something is wrong: Ever since around mid 2007 I've had no real memories. But on the other hand, sometimes I think it is an unfair assumption that new players do not have the same fun that I once did. It really makes sense that they would, at least in most ways. And I have obviously moved on from the wilderness pking because I play on the pvp servers a lot. The people who really haven't moved on are the ones who quit. But what I really wanted to say is that I think a new era of Runescape greatness will just happen once again. I can't quite explain what makes me feel this, but I have noticed everything, both life and something as small as a game, go through cycles over time. I seriously thought way before I heard from anywhere else, that temperatures were really just following their normal cycles. I've always thought Global Warming was a dumb theory to begin with lol. And now I've heard a million times that what many thought was global warming is really just weather cycles. Not trying to say I'm a genius if that's how it came across. But anyway, I think Runescape will either die completely, which is near impossible, or go through it's own cycle and reach another peak, possible higher than the last one. What does everyone think of that?

I think I'd like to see your research that shows that global warming is just weather cycles (<- what does that even mean?).

Isn't it rather easy to infer?

Weather patterns that follow a set (to a certain extent) cycle/pattern? E.g. predictable increases and decreases in temperature, etc.

Yes, I rather miss "the good old days" as well, although I'm not sure if that's because I have such fond memories of the game way back then, or if RuneScape really has hit the seemingly inevitable decline that almost all other games do.

"Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security."

Support transparency... and by extension, freedom and democracy.