Mad's Ranged Slayer Blog

Hey guys, this is the first Runescape Blog I've ever done. My RSN is Madouge, I've been playing for round about 6 years on and off. For a long time now Slayer has been by far my favourite activity in the game. I'm someone who finds it hard to make decisions so I relish being told what to kill by other people. I've thought for a while about doing some sort of slaying guide, however I don't think I have anymore information to offer than any of the other guides available on these forums so concluded there wasn't much point, so I'm doing this blog instead, to document my tasks and levels.

I pride myself on the fact that my Private Chat is always set to "on" and I have no one on my ignore list, I'm always open to chat.

Here is a picture of my levels at the start of this blog:

statsuo.png

As you can see I've already achieved 99 melee stats thanks to slayer, I don't remember when I got them, but I remember that I got 99 Attack first, on a bloodveld task, followed by 99HP using the exp lamps from WGS. 99 Defence was next, I got that on a Dust Devil assignment. The most recent 99, Strength, was obtained on a Gargoyle assignment.

Since I maxed my melees, I've moved onto ranged, so I'll be ranging all my slayer tasks (I haven't used a whip in slayer for soooo long). Those which are too difficult to range I'll either cancel or just use melee and be resentful of my slayer master for a while. I'll try and get pictures of all the good drops I get and my levels.

[hide=BANK PIC! - Warning, very big]

bank1f.png

[/hide]

What I wanna do is, each time I get a task I haven't covered in this blog, I wanna just post a picture of the setup I used to kill them. If it get's too picture intensive I'll change that format.

List of past tasks since this blog was started:

198 Nechryael

46 Steel Dragons

177 Abyssal Demons

163 Gargoyles

239 Black Demons

124 Blue Dragons

164 Spiritual Mages

164 Warped Tortoises

81 Steel Dragons

9 Mithril Dragons

205 Gargoyles

174 Nechryael

211 Dagannoth

230 Spiritual Mages

139 Hellhounds

204 Gargoyles

109 Jungle Strykewyrms

88 Tzharr

149 Ice Strykewyrms

247 Waterfiends

69 Terror Dogs

79 Steel Dragons

223 Black Demons

191 Gargoyles

165 Warped Tortoises

66 Skeletal Wyverns

60 Terror Dogs

188 Hellhounds

229 Abyssal Demons

Current Task: 241 Gargoyles

These are the tasks I have blocked:

-Warped Terrorbirds - someone told me to

-Living Rock Creatures - Great exp but they're so boring

-Bloodvelds - Yawn city

[hide=Slayer gear]

This is where I'm gonna post the equipment and methods I use to kill each monster. The purpose of this is to show anyone interested in doing what I'm doing that it can be done, if you get what I mean.

[hide=Abyssal Demons]

abyssaldemons.png

Standard tanking really. Blessed Spirit shield instead of dragonfire because I don't like the negative ranged bonus. I use Enhanced Excalibur and then summon a bunyip when I'm around 40/400 HP/Life Points.

Remember kiddies, always have auto retaliate on when fighting Abyssal scumbags.

[/hide]

[hide=Black Demons]

blackdemons.png

Pretty easy safespot to use, alternatively you can cannon them in taverly dungeon. I use protect from melee there, you can safespot them and cannon but it's quite a lot of hassle so I can't be bothered.

blackdemons.png

[/hide]

[hide=Blue Dragons]

bluedragons.png

Easy safespot to use as long as you stay exactly where I'm standing. Once they aren't aggressive you can be more flexible with the safespot. Black knives are used due to the ferocious ring bonus and the blue dragons low range defence. I bank the hides and bones using a duelling ring and ferocious ring.

[/hide]

[hide=Dagannoth]

dagannoth.png

Cannon obviously, even if you aren't ranging. Enjoy the abuse you innevitably receive:

"Who is cannon?"

"Me"

"Scum"

-Actual conversation on the task this screenshot was taken

[/hide]

[hide=Gargoyles]

gargoyles.png

Again, using up my broad arrows, though I am slightly suspicious that due to the bonus from the ferocious ring, they are actually faster here than broad bolts.

As far as I can tell, this is by far the best safespot for gargoyles here, if you stand in the spot where I am no gargoyles can ever hit you, it's also possible to shoot the gargoyle behind me from this spot.

[/hide]

[hide=Hellhounds]

hellhound.png

Pretty easy safespot to use, consider skipping due to their mediocore drops.

[/hide]

[hide=Ice Strykewyrms]

icestrykewyrms.png

Forgive me for maging them, I've heard they're great mage exp.

[/hide]

[hide=Jungle Strykewyrms]

junglestrykewyrms.png

Remember your antipoisons kiddies.

[/hide]

[hide=Mithril Dragons]

mithrildragons.png

Had to bring my good friend Mr. Fire Titers for this task, purely for healing purposes, I'm too noob to be able to summon Unicorns. Along with this equipment I bring 4 prayer potions, 2 antifires, a range potion and abuot 10-14 sharks. I've only done this task twice so my setup probably isn't ideal, but this is more than enough to get me through a task of about 10.

[/hide]

[hide=Nechryael]

nechryael.png

I'm only using Broad Arrows because there's absolutely nothing you can do with them except use them, so I'm gonna burn them all up on a few tasks, I don't have many left as you can see. I'd normally use broad bolts. As far as I'm aware, this is the best safespot for Nechryaels.

[/hide]

[hide=Skeletal Wyverns]

skeletalwyverns.png

The safespots here are quite difficult to use. They're explained in detail in this guide Erichermit's Misunderstood Monsters Guide. What I will add is that you can make them unaggressive without sustaining damage. The spot mentioned in the guide where you can stand outside the cave and as long as you remain on that one square, you won't have moved far away enough for them to become unaggressive. You can just stand on that one spot until they're not aggressive, then simply enter the Wyvern room.

[/hide]

[hide=Spiritual Mages]

spiritualmages.png

Its better to fight Spiritual Mages in the Zamorak Encampment compared to the other encampments. However, your prayer is drained upon entering the zamorak area, so I like to burn up all my prayer in the Saradomin Encampment because I'm tight with money. Once I'm out of prayer I cross into the zamorak area and use my Falador Shield 3 to fully restore my prayer and continue killing. A useful trick if you can be bothered to do it is to make sure you're on a world where there's a team fighting the Zamorak boss. Then when you have at least 40 kills, you can quickly run through the boss room after it is defeated, restore your prayer at the altar and use the teleport feature of the altar to return to the zamorak area. Obviously this can only be done every 15 minutes at most, but it should take longer than that to notch up another 40 kills anyway. I also bring the ancient mace and use the special against imps to regain some prayer points, yeah, I'm pretty cheap when it comes to prayer.

[/hide]

[hide=Steel Dragons]

steeldragons.png

Yeah, I'm kinda obscured by the fire there, on each trip I bring 2 antifire (4), 1 Ranging potion (4) and a spirit terrorbird pouch. I can usually kill around 25-30 before I need to bank.

[/hide]

[hide=Terrordogs]

terrordogs.png

You have to tank these for a while, when they are no longer aggressive you can use the torchs to safespot the bigger ones, but I don't really bother. In that place your prayer gets drained quickly, so you may aswell use it when you can. I can't get by here on just a unicorn so I take tuna aswell.

[/hide]

[hide=Tzharr]

tzharr.png

This place gets a bit crowded, there are plenty of sulphur vents to use as safespots. It's best to stick to the level 149s as the 133s sometimes use ranged.

[/hide]

[hide=Warped Tortoises]

warpedtortoises.png

I used to have these blocked but they're easy thanks to auto-chime.

[/hide]

[hide=Waterfiends]

waterfiendse.png

These guys can be quite tricky. You need to fight them in this spot. You can't safespot them while they're aggressive so when you first come, you'll need prayer pots ( I take two 4 dose pots) and a bit of food (instead of food I take a bunyip and Enhanced Excalibur). Protect from ranged and just kill them until they aren't aggressive. After that, safespot them to your hearts content. Although their attacks are ranged, the range of their attacks is less than the rune crossbow.

Here is where to stand to safespot them, the different coloured squares are where the waterfiends are, and the corresponding coloured circles are where to stand to be out of their range. For example. in this picture, the waterfiend is in the yellow square, so I am standing on the yellow circle spot. This spot is far north of the fairy ring.

waterfiendsii.png

[/hide][/hide]

[hide=Noteworthy Drops]

The Drops!!!

[hide=03/03/2010]

runeboots1.png

[/hide]

[hide=04/03/2010]

dragonspear.png

granitemaul.png

granitemaul2.png

Got this one on the last monster of my task =)

[/hide]

[hide=07/03/2010]

granitemaul3.png

granitemaul4c.png

[/hide]

[hide=11/03/2010]

dragonboots.png

dragonboots2.png

dragonboots3.png

dragonboots4.png

[/hide]

[hide=13/03/2010]

granitemaul5.png

granitemaul6.png

[/hide]

[hide=14/03/2010]

toktzketxil.png

obsidiancape.png

obsidiancape2.png

[/hide]

[hide=22/03/2010]

granitehelm.png

Not really that great but I like to post slayer-unique drops.

[/hide]

[hide=26/03/2010]

blackmystictop.png

[/hide]

[hide=30/03/2010]

granitehelm2.png

granitehelm3.png

[/hide][/hide]

BLOG IS GO

Madouge.png

Click the pic if you wanna see a Ranged Slayer blog.

Yay! New blogs are always good, cant wait to see what this one brings! (Have a swoop down and check mine out aswell plawks!)

and I got 2nd post!

you have some decent levels there aswell, goodluck with 99 range! (you'r more than half way already o.O )

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]

I'm open to suggestions on stuff to include on my blog, if anyone else is training Ranged through slayer, add me. We can swap tactics, info about safespots, whatever.

Madouge.png

It's really easy to slay gargoyle scum after you've bought the "quick final hit" technique or whatever, I don't need to leave my safespot to finish them off anymore. Shame it'll only really help for gargoyles.

Madouge.png

I dunno, move onto Magic I guess, though at that point it'll start costing me quite a lot of money, unless I get a staff of light and some battle robes. If magic gets too expensive I'll aim for 99 slayer and just melee everything.

Madouge.png

i got 99 range threw slayer and i can tell you one thing it was hell. This is just a little advice you don't have to follow just my personal opinion. I preferred tank gear when i was training range so i didn't have to safe spot and so i didn't have to pick up ammo. This saved me tons of time instead of having to get monsters in the right spot,picking up ammo, and waiting for a monster to spawn. other than that good luck and happy slaying :D

Hey Wiveren1, I saw your blog, pretty impressive. Honestly, I quite like safespotting, I enjoy having to be quite tactical in trying to find the best spot. I've gotten from around 91 to 97 and I'm still quite enjoying it so I think I'll just stick it out. Did you get 99 Magic through Slayer? I would love to hear tips on that if you had any.

Madouge.png

Hey Wiveren1, I saw your blog, pretty impressive. Honestly, I quite like safespotting, I enjoy having to be quite tactical in trying to find the best spot. I've gotten from around 91 to 97 and I'm still quite enjoying it so I think I'll just stick it out. Did you get 99 Magic through Slayer? I would love to hear tips on that if you had any.

ok what ever makes you happy :D and i did lmao... it was a huge slap in the face when hex and focus came out. ice worms have brought me to 16 mill mage exp... at first i used slayer darts because u get points to buy them from the tasks u did. I was safe spotting in infinity robes and zammy book I'm cheep >.> well was. Once i hit about 90 mage i was using fire wave with an arcane sheild and used most of my slayer drops for rune money. I used an air staff because i had tons of fires from dustys, fire giants and greater demons. If there is anything i can tell you its that you should do slayer bolt till 75 then only mage ice worm tasks with fire wave, and fire sure when you can. The exp gotten from ice worm tasks are insane. Gl on the rest of your slayer days.

I'm mage slaying right now using ahrim's, switching between claws of guthix and wind surge. It's really expensive and the only way I'm able to sustain it is by farm runs and MTK everyday. I'll be range slaying when I hit 99 Summoning. :thumbup: Good luck.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

If I do end up mage slaying, would it be worth buying battle robes to save money, or is it not worth losing the benefits of the hexcrest and other Mage equipment

Madouge.png

Got sick of using chinchompas, not really for me. I decided to mage the rest of my Nechryael to get a taste for what mage slaying would be like. Conclusion: expensive, though I did get this:

magic89.png

Madouge.png