TUTO ISLAND has some Bad News...

Give your scroll wheel a break and click on these handy links instead:

Post 16 - July 16 - Bad news...

Post 15 - June 30 - Dragon Slayer! (Some other stuff too.)

Post 14 - June 20 - TUTO had a Little Lamb...

Post 13 - June 11 - Smarter than your Average Monk

Post 12 - June 7 - Teaching Leeching

Post 11 - May 31 - Cwars and prayer

Post 10 - May 26 - Dirty Tricks

Post 9 - May 20 - Murderous Mayhem

Post 8 - May 14 - Magnificent Merching

Post 7 - May 10 - More of the Same!

Post 6 - May 4 - TL;DR :oops:

Post 5 - April 30 - Tragic Losses

Post 4

Post 3

Post 2

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm Creaphis.

None of you know me, but I used to post here a lot, and play a lot of Runescape, about a million years ago.

Okay, more accurately, I stopped in about 2007.

Since then, however, I've found that this game is a hard thing to forget. I've been logging on out of morbid curiosity a couple times each year. Now, in 2010, the temptation to start playing again is stronger than it ever has been. However, a few things have changed for me in the last few years...

- I'm not interested in playing "catch up" with Runescape. My old main (Creaphis) now has skills and equipment that are years out of date, and I've forgotten everything I used to know about this game, so trying to whip that character into shape and making him "cutting edge" again would be a lot of tedious work.

- I don't really care to have a "cutting edge" character, anyway. I was never too interested in killing the big monsters, or whatever else it is that you do with a powerful character.

- I no longer want to spend a lot of time working towards difficult goals.

- I no longer have much time that I can afford to spend on this game, anyway.

So, what does that leave? Well, it means that for maybe a few hours each week, I can goof around with this:

equipment.png

expi.png

The character's name is "Tuto Island." I made it way back in the RSC days, but never trained it, which is why its constitution is now level 9. I initially named it how I did because I was planning to raise its skills as high as possible while leaving it on tutorial island, but never got around to it, and when RS2 came out, she got sent to Lumbridge where she's been sitting pretty much ever since. I'm thinking that I'll use her to re-experience noobhood - I'll explore the world, find out again what's possible and what isn't, and do as many quests as possible - all while preserving her most unusual characteristic: her level 9 constitution.

I'm hoping that "as many quests as possible" will actually turn out to be more quests than one might initially think. I'll have to find a way to dispatch monsters without gaining constitution xp. Cannons come to mind, although most quests don't allow you to use them, so this could be tricky.

No, this character isn't going to turn into anything particularly spectacular. Also, I'm sure that this has been done a million times before. But, so be it. I'm not hoping to impress anybody. I'm just hoping to have a bit of fun.

kindness.png

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, when you think about, it's not really that spectacular...how much in RuneScape really is. But it's different, and everyone likes thaticon_thumbsu.gif I'll be watching this thread.

Alright, I don't want to keep my faithful watchers (or watcher) waiting any longer, so, I spent a few hours yesterday getting this show on the road. Most of that time was spent idling around Lumbridge, chatting with the pair of old friends who, remarkably, still remember me despite my years of absence. But, I also found time to finish some noob quests.

9prayer.png

I decided to ruin my virgin 3 combat immediately by burying the bones from Restless Ghost. Eventually, I hope to get prayer to at least 43, for obvious advantages.

shearer.png

cookass.png

Sadly, I can't finish Blood Pact, or even the Lumbridge achievement diary, for that matter - it requires killing a cow, and a giant rat. Once I subscribe, though, I'll be sure to grab a few rings of recoil and vanquish these monsters with their own hostility.

Oh yeah, one more thing - I was invited to try my luck at the Party Room for some decent loot, and while I didn't get anything special, I did learn, for the first time, that afros exist. This made me very excited.

hawtr.png

I think I've got a good look going on now.

kindness.png

Hm, I should update this again! First of all, I've finished more quests...

[hide=A whole bunch of quest reward screens]28159126.png

68063074.png

93159952.png

39863380.png

87434903.png

11358989.png

77876471.png

80706332.png[/hide]

There are a couple more quests that I'll be able to do before I subscribe, but just as many are, sadly, impossible without members items (such as the cannon). Even the witch's potion quest can't be done by this pure - I would have to kill a rat!

While exploring, I've discovered a few neat things. One of those is the "orb of oculus," which I didn't know existed. Getting to peer into faraway corners is cool, but what actually intriges me more is the item's minus-twenty modifier to every defense. This is more useful than one might think; soon I may have to start dispatching monsters with rings of recoil, and the ability to lower my defense to astonishingly low depths will actually help me kill my enemies quicker. "Fun weapons" are surprisingly helpful for a pure like this - I've also been wielding my old rubber chicken everywhere I go, so that if I accidentally attack a monster I'm quite unlikely to hurt it.

I also found out that the south-east corner of Varrock has been opened up to non-members. Though, I'm not sure why, because all that free players can do in that area is be aggressively berated for not giving Jagex any money.

humiliationf.png

Here I am posing next to Tipsy the unicorn. My (almost) current stats are superimposed for your convenience.

tipsy.png

I deliberated for some time over how best to spend the first antique lamp from Explorer Jack, and the two from the Stronghold of Player Safety. I'd probably still be deliberating if I had all of the members' skills to choose from, as well. Finally, I ended up spending all three (1500 experience total) on defense, as the melee combat skills are quite difficult for me to train, otherwise; and it seemed that increased defense would provide the largest benefit to a pacifist character. I still worried for a little bit, though, that I had wasted the one-time opportunity these lamps present - but then I calmed myself by remembering something I'd heard about this "Soul Wars" minigame. Apparently I can use it to train my slayer skill, combat skills and even summoning (indirectly) as much as I want, while leaving my constitution xp untouched. I'm looking forward to that.

Oh, later I also raised my attack to 5 with the attack dummies in Varrock, just so that I could wield a steel pickaxe. Then I started a bit of skilling. Tuto Island is going to need to make some money. She can't live from quest to quest forever.

sknees.png

kindness.png

Since my last update, I did two more quests:

ssword.png

doric.png

And after that, some skill training:

skillsv.png

It was fun getting fast levels like these. Smithing was especially easy, as the bizarrely generous experience reward for Knight's Sword brought me straight from 1 to 29. I'm not sure why Jagex would let us skip an entire quarter of the smithing skill just for doing one beginner quest, especially when so many more of these quests have virtually no reward at all. I guess I'll just try to ignore the inconsistency and enjoy my easy xp wherever I can get it.

The dungeoneering levels were a little bit trickier to get, but luckily, I found a small clan of friendly hp pures (the clan chat channel is owned by "Clan of ten" if you want to say hi). A few of us went dungeoneering together, each of us proudly bearing the title of "leecher" while a couple high level friends of ours cleared our path. (Thanks guys!)

Finally, because I like unlocking music tracks, and because I really just like knowing what's out there, I explored the wildy...

chaostemple.png

ruins.png

mazeo.png

fist.png

Ugh. I don't know how someone could stand Fist of Guthix. All I saw in it was a cacophanous spam-fest. Though, I suppose it's probably a bit more fun if you can actually attack other players. Since I don't want any constitution xp, all I can do is whack my opponent with my rubber chicken - and that doesn't seem to help all that much.

kindness.png

Lol this is a good read, I like it. :)

Thanks. :)

I'm trying to keep these posts concise and colourful. I figure there are already enough blogs in this forum that are overstuffed with statistical minutiae, such as "Today I played for 4.3 hours. I killed 1143 waterfiends, gaining 176,532.2 total experience points, and 748 crimson charms, bringing me 17.54% closer to achieving my goal of level 89.4 summoning." Dry, boring stuff! I'll spare you from that here.

I also like how you just play for the fun and don't take it extremely seriously.

Not many people like you out there today.

I do have a confession to make, though... I might be taking this more seriously than I'm letting on. :( I have some serious goals that are bound to take serious effort to achieve. For instance, I'm not yet completely convinced that it's impossible for this character to beat "The Temple at Senntisten." Imagine that! A 9 hp pure with access to the ancient curses... my heart burns with the anticipation of such power...

*burp*

Oh wait, nevermind, it was just heartburn. Anyways, that's a long ways away, and I still have a lot more goofing off to do first!

Since my last update, I've finished a few more quests...

myths.png

gertrude.png

buyers.png

fromtinyacorns.png

Oh, did I forget to mention I bought a membership? :wink:

I learned a few things about natural history...

dragonar.png

I got myself into a bit of a pickle...

picklek.png

If you don't have a thieving level high enough to open these doors, but if you walk through them when they're opened by somebody else, and if the door closes on you again, then you're at the mercy of the thieves around you! (Though, I suppose "home teleport" would also work in a pinch.)

My kitten grew into a cat...

catf.png

But then, later, I wandered too close to those dangerous jail guards near Draynor, and lost him! :sad:

gravet.png

In loving memory of Foofles

kindness.png

After I saw that you put an afro on your character, I loved it. I ran over to the hair stylist to do it myself... but it isn't available for men :(. Ahh well. Good luck, this blog has caught much of my interest!

After I saw that you put an afro on your character, I loved it. I ran over to the hair stylist to do it myself... but it isn't available for men :(. Ahh well. Good luck, this blog has caught much of my interest!

Oh, the afro isn't a hairstyle - it's a wearable item sold in Party Pete's shop! I guess I've spent more time leeching at the party hall than you have... :oops:

So, something that I've been hearing a lot of lately is that I'm of an endangered (or maybe even extinct) species of player. I'm hearing this from friends, from clanmates, and from Animalmagik's earlier post in this very thread. I suppose that's true... though it's taken me a little while to understand just how true that really is. Everywhere I turn, I see people working way too hard to maximize their xp per hour in this skill or that one, or gp per hour, or whatever else. These people are only willing to train their skills or make money in this one method that they've deemed to be optimal, and will spend obscene amounts of time doing only that one thing. And for what? To gain some "prestigious" skill level that thousands upon thousands of people already have! Wow, that'll get attention... :roll:

I undestand that there's some personal satisfaction to be had in gaining ever-higher levels, and being able to afford nice loot, but you have to have some fun too. And, this is why the slayer skill works so well. "Slayer" requires that you add some variety, and some novelty, to your training regimen. This way, those players who would otherwise burn themselves out doing the same thing over and over, are forced to have fun - fun that they would otherwise refuse to have! Silly, isn't it? :blink:

I'm writing this just because I want to say something to those who are getting burned out by the daily grind, but would like to keep playing Runescape: it doesn't have to be this way! There is fun to be had in this game, in a million different ways. I don't want to tell you how you should get it, but if you're struggling to come up with ideas, I've had a couple ideas for "challenge games" that I can't use myself, as this hp pure has my hands full enough already!

- The Frontiersman - Make a noob account, and stick to the following restrictions: One, never use the grand exchange. Two, never even bank. :shock: It sounds impossible, doesn't it? Well then, you might be interested to know that, for the first phase of Runescape's life, the bank didn't even exist! Wouldn't it be interesting to follow in the footsteps of Runescape's brave pioneers? Yes, training most skills would be a bit of a chore, but that's why this challenge isn't about reaching 99 this or 99 that - it's about finding out what you can do with a character that hikes across the world with his trusty rune long, that fishes and cooks food only when he's hungry, and that barters directly with other players when he needs something he can't get himself. What quests can you pass? What beasts can you slay?

- The Rogue - This challenge is named for the "Roguelike-style" gameplay it might have. Fire up the instant demo, drop whatever items they start you off with, and walk straight into the wilderness. Become at least 20 combat, or at least 100 skill total, without ever leaving the wild, and without ever dying. Changing worlds to escape revenants is allowed. However, deaths in Clan Wars, Stealing Creation, and Fist of Guthix do count as deaths. :twisted:

Finally, no matter how you decide to spend your time with this game...

lilies.png

...stop to smell the lilies! :grin:

Okay, now what have I done since last time...

[hide=Oh yeah, this stuff!]wolfwhistle.png

druidicritual.png

fishingcontest.png

sweptaway.png

murdermystery.png

I do like most quests in this game, but "Murder Mystery" is just too weakly written. Fingerprints? In a swords-and-sorcery society? Really? :?

forgettabletale.png

I also finished "The Giant Dwarf," but forgot to grab a screenshot of the reward screen. However, here's a shot of the quest's aftermath:

giantdwarfaftermath.png

The fireworks were deafening!

I got fooled into buying some swampland in Rimmington...

housep.png

I met with distinguished royalty...

kingly.png

I visited the hustle and bustle that is the games room...

gamesroom.png

I tried out some risque fashions...

risque.png

You whippersnappers may be too young to remember this, but back around when Keldagrim, and these dwarf clothes, were first released, the female players model was also made absolutely twig-thin! I think somebody at Jagex let their... preferences get a little bit out of hand... :shame:

Finally, I went crazy!

crazyf.png[/hide]

kindness.png

What is that hat *noob*? o.o Pretty nice blog by the way, it's looking good so far :thumbup:

It's a voting hat! You can buy them from the games shop in Al Kharid. I like how it's both fanciful and simple, and that it looks good with pigtails. It's odd that nobody else wears them. (Or at least, nobody else wears them yet - maybe I'll start a trend?)

Thank you all, very much, for all the positive comments. I'm glad that you're finding my day-to-day wanderings entertaining. All the same, though, I feel that I owe you, my loyal readers, more. I mean, it's about time that I got to the main events, right? The big skill goals? The difficult quests? The merching and money-making? I still haven't even gotten around to making the money for a cannon!-.- There's not much I can do without that, or without all the other tools and supplies I'll have no choice but to pay for. Maybe it's time I put this project into high gear. Maybe it's time for me to start working a little harder.

Naaaaaaaaah...

The last thing I'm going to do is disobey my own commandment to play for fun. Skilling and money making can be fun, but I'm still not quite there yet. I almost am, but not quite. If you're getting bored with the current flow of things, make sure to check back regularly. :^_^:

Since last time, I did some quests...

[hide=Quest Rewards]seaslug.png

dwarfcannon.png

deathplateau.png

recipefordisasterintro.png

recipefordisastergoblin.png

digsite.png

losttribe.png[/hide]

I rescued a castaway...

castaway.png

I failed to impress the scouts...

gnomeball.png

I journeyed to the edge and back...

theedge.png

...and I got another kitten, and sought vengeance!

vengeance.png

It turns out he's not much of a fighter.

Oh, and check this out:

22040401.png

I'm not sure that you noticed, but Tuto Island is a level 2 attacker. :cool:

It turns out that you don't gain any combat xp inside of Barbarian Assault, so I could hack-and-slash my way all the way to level 5 if I wanted to! However, because I'd rather not die, over and over and over again, losing the game for my entire team each time (it gets embarassing :oops:) I think it's smarter for me to just hide in the safe spot behind the horn of glory. At least then I'm making sure that everyone else gets their calls! That's good enough, right? Right?

The above screenshot was taken while I was on a team led by a friend of mine (Thanks Royal!). It's easy enough for a strong player to attract talented teammates, so that group was more than able to beat each wave, despite being one player short, I suppose. When I went back to BA later, though, without a high-level player's endorsement, I found it a little bit trickier to move from one wave to the next. Unsurprisingly, not many people are eager to have a level 22 flower girl join their team. However, more surprisingly, when that noob is the leader, it's actually possible to put a decent team together! I think that confidence is key. You must appear as a confident, capable leader. You must be an effective recruiter. And, above all, you must hope that the people you invite haven't noticed your level...

Current stats:

statspp.png

That's all, folks. Sorry about all the pictures. I hope your bandwidth can handle it. :wink:

kindness.png

Probably said it already, but i love this blog.

x10

zuzmo.png

collio.png

[hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide]

Never gonna give you up.[/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide]

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12