Don't you think it's kinda lame and arrogant to have Private Chat set to 'Friends'?

tedbundty

And any rares you may have, anything they see that they want and don't have, regardless of whether it is possible or not.

That reminds me...

I logged on my alt account on W1, while wearing my full Saradomin set. One of the biggest mistakes I have made in the whole of RS.

"cn i borrow ur full sara plz"

"im poor, gimme 5k"

"how did u get tat!!!"

-_-

EDIT: This seems to be only on Public chat, though. No one seemed to contact me via Private, even when On.

Okay so turn it to friends when you're on FTP world 1 (I never recall a time going there myself) and turn it back one when you switch worlds or don't wear stuff people will wanna borrow. It's not really a good enough reason for keeping it to 'friends' all the time.

@quelmotz - harrased verbally? are you serious? what's the worst someone could say and the worst effect it could have on you? That 'your a noob' and it hurts your feelings?

................................[Currently Have - 1300M].................................

............tedsignature.jpg............

My Beginner's Merchanting Guide - My Youtube Channel - My Twitter

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I logged on my alt account on W1, while wearing my full Saradomin set....

That is a reason i ever play in 'bob' outfit (the one you get when you register your account).

This is the main way to stay anonymous everywhere.

I experimented it many times. once i wield any part of a good armour/weapon i get almost imediatly asked for a lend.

When not, i could skill anonymously for hours in GE while friends where begged.

I generally play wide opened... and i also don't tolerate unpolite persons. That situation drives me to mostly being silent.

I temporally use my black list some times for the most irritating people. After a while i simply clean that list.

When on urge (skilling competition or so) i switch to friends or even off not to get disturbed and not to get myselft attracted in chat.

The main problem is that low level players can't play the same way higher does... but they want to.

They simply should consider they grow in steps and can afford them different items/activites at each steps.

I growed that way and now can do runescape's best

Oh baby light the dark side...

Private is always on friends, because it's a hell of a lot better than adding names to my ignore list.

Arrogant? It's a game, it's my private chat, I'll talk to my current friends only, because I added them for a reason. I like talking to them, not the countless other people who just wanna borrow things I don't have (Why does everyone assume at 137 combat you MUST have a godsword?) <_<

Requiescat in pace, Shiva "Anarith" Kumar.
dea6a17b9c.png
351 Quest Points|99 Strength|99 Attack|99 Constitution|99 Defence|99 Magic|138 Combat|99 Summoning|99 Slayer|99 Ranged|99 Firemaking|99 Dungeoneering|99 Cooking|99 Prayer|99 Runecrafting|99 Smithing|99 Fletching|99 Construction|99 Farming|99 Fishing|99 Herblore|99 Crafting|99 Agility
True friends are never separated by distance, for they are forever linked by their hearts.

Join the HYT CLAN![qfc]90-91-310-65710712[/qfc]

I can't have a little peace and quiet without being arrogant?

Ye, I don't want to talk to everybody. Same as in real life. I don't want to talk to everybody.

people have a right to privacy. There is absolutely nothing wrong with not wanting to speak with strangers. There's nothing lame or arrogant about it.

Sums my thoughts up.

Okay so turn it to friends when you're on FTP world 1 (I never recall a time going there myself) and turn it back one when you switch worlds or don't wear stuff people will wanna borrow. It's not really a good enough reason for keeping it to 'friends' all the time.

So I shouldnt wear items like Ranger Boots or Bandos because people might want to lend them and would spam my pm chat, yet this isnt a good enough reason to turn it to friends?

I dont need a reason to have my private chat set to friends anyway, if I want it on friends il keep it on friends.

To be honest, I find most people that play this game rather annoying. Setting my private chat to friends, turning my public chat off, and joining small clan chats are how I talk with only the people whose company I enjoy. Is it lame, arrogant, and stupid? Of course, but I like it that way.

wl7w9j.png

In spite of having it to On now (Purely because I completely wiped my friends list and people don't know me anyway anymore :P Plus, times have moved on and what used to be impressive isn't anymore), I will defend having it on friends.

Point 1:

I do not care for other people. No one should. Want some help? There's a search box at the top of your screen! Want me to re-add you? Well, there must have been a good reason for me to delete you in the first place! Anything else? Go bother someone else!

Point 2:

This game is not based on chat. I will not gain anything from chatting with every third person. I have my friends, I don't need or want to make new. If I will, I'll make sure to inform you.

Point 3:

When you wrote the topic's title, what exactly were you thinking when you were writing the words "Private chat" and then proceeding to explain that it should be a public chat for long distances? P R I V A T E.

This may sound negative, but hell, you just called a great number of people lame and arrogant. Back off, dude.

Profins.png

specty.png

Friends only.

Some reasons:

1.) I don't enjoy helping people who are too lazy or dumb to use the knowledge base or fansites. "Amg, How do I train huntrar!?"

2.) "how long does it take to train 65-93 slayer!?!?" , "How much did you pay for 35-70 prayer??"

3.) "OMG, WHO ARE YOU!? WHY ARE YOU ON MY F-LIST!?"

4.) "How do you make cash!?"

5.) *Begging to borrow something that I most likely don't even have*

"Ohai i is mod markz n i n33d psswrd for to give you 7986m cuz u did good stoofs!"

Am I the only one who gets these weekly?

Another reason I keep mine on private is because I have the right to privacy, it's my choice to shut out people I don't know.

Lastly, you need to add someone as a friend to pm them, therefore my pm's stay on friends only. If there not my friend, why are they pming me?

Sumondskull6.png

Dumb/Troll thread. Most people like something called 'privacy', and not having random people asking to 'Barrow ur gee ess plz'.

Until Jagex can create a system that can filter players who legitmately ask for help and friends who want to talk to you, which they won't, then most people will always have their Friend's list set to Friend's only.

OFF most of the time. Sometimes Friends.

I don't make friends in the game itself.

I am member of clans who all have their private forums, irc chatrooms and teamspeak

plus I use a lot of different rs related forums so I have no need for ingame censored chat.

Why it's never ON?

Well, I tend to get about 20 pms the minute I turn it on by the people I have never seen,

I simply can't respond to everyone and answer their (mostly stupid) questions. I'd rather not waste their time.

And the main reason: Well, majority of rs players are immature and act plain dumb. (Can I haz gee ess pliiiiiiiiz)

I don't even really mind noobs asking me questions, it's more that the real life people that have me added and still play are such morons. I guess I could ignore list them but meh.

And besides, I find the chat system annoying since youre basically unable to properly talk to more than 1 person at once. Clan chats are much better.

2dvjurb.png

I don't even really mind noobs asking me questions, it's more that the real life people that have me added and still play are such morons. I guess I could ignore list them but meh.

Haha, yeah. And you can't really ignore them, can you? They'll just come up to you IRL and ask you WTF was that about, leading to some misunderstandings, awkwardness and such.

Profins.png

specty.png

Mine is usually set to friends. I turn it on when I need to be able to receive messages, but when I don't it is off. Not because I'm arrogant, but because I do get a lot of pms from random people. Doesn't exactly leave me with a lot of choice.

I've had to keep it as friends or even off. I keep it off sometimes because although I like my friends I don't wish for them to bother me the whole time I'm on. I don't usually turn my private chat to on, because I've ditched many people that have me added - mainly annoying 'noobs' that want me to waste all of my time helping them just because I did them a favour and they started taking it for granted. I'm not the Lumbridge Sage. I wouldn't say it's arrogant of me to not want to be social, I just think people can easily be pests when they know they can benefit from me.

Of course, it's helpful to keep it on when doing offers in RSOF marketplace but otherwise it can be a pain to certain individuals.

redarrows-1.png

I think a lot of you who have set your private chat to friends are forgetting the 100-man strong ignore list you have available.

My ignore list has about 20 people on it. Those people circulate, yet some members are permanent, because they won't leave me alone. I'm 137 combat, with a short displayname, and a high total.

I don't have any issues stopping mean randomers, or useless questions while remaining available to all those with valid questions, or who seek to chat.

I can definately see many reasons for having pm to friends or off, but "not being able to sort out those who want help and naggers" is an easy way of going around the fact that you want to be left alone. It's hard to argue with, but when examined, doesn't hold water at all. honesty please :)

Private chat settings are up to us as individuals, and none of others' business, but giving untrue or marginal reasons for why you choose as you do, that's not okay.

- What do you have you're private chat set to and why?

I have my private chat set to Friends. It was not my true intention to have it that but it slowly started becoming necessary. There are two reasons behind me doing so. I don't mean to give one of the stereotypical reasons of: "I was getting swamped with 'will you be my gf' requests," but this was truly one of the most motivating ones. For quite awhile I would simply utilise the ignore list but it was starting to become ineffective as I was receiving them non-stop and my list would constantly max out. By setting it to friends, I can clearly see pms coming from people who I have truly enjoyed talking to and are mature enough to hold a conversation that isn't similar to an e-harmony request.

The second reason may sort of collide with what you said regarding providing help. As a Tip.It crew member, I have my name pop up here and there on Tip.It guides. Upon joining crew, I started getting messages from people asking for help on a variety of topics, some of which I don't have much experience with. I tried to respond to as many as best I could and when I didn't have the information they needed or enough time to explain in detail, I'd direct them to a guide on the site. When I had to redirect people, some would be courteous enough to understand while others would be beyond rude and even curse at me :shock: ("You're suppose to help me *expletive* thats your job!") It eventually became too unmanageable and I started getting these kind of pms around the clock, so I gave up :(.

- When (if ever) you have Private Chat set to 'on' about how often do you get spammed by other players? (e.g. once a day, twice a day once a week, etc...)

I would probably receive 10-20 pms at once upon setting private chat to On.

- In what ways do you agree/disagree with what I'm saying. Explain.

I half agree with what you're saying. Sadly, in today's RS, there is a trend of being less and less helpful as well as an air of elitism. However, as you see in my and several other cases, those two issues are not the biggest factor of keeping your private chat on Friends. Also, some people merely desire their privacy and are not keen on talking with people they do not know very well. In a way, this is a very practical reason especially for younger RS players who need to protect their privacy on the internet. So no, I do not think that setting your private chat to Friends is arrogant due to the infinite reasons that outweigh "arrogant players."

99miningnewsig.gif

~Retired 13-July-2010~

Thanks for the great memories folks :).

Nope. I have my firends set as 'friends' as i get mopped by ppl asking questions, and its really annoyi ng if i'm busy doing other things..like slaying and somone wants to know how to finish Sheep shearder or somthing..

So yeah :P

I don't know which mod did this. I don't know why they did it. If they're looking for money, I can tell them I don't have any as I'm a student. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over 4 years of RuneScape. Skills that I have worked hard for and people like them can't take them away. If they give me my particles back now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for them, I will not pursue them. But if they don't, I will look for them, I will find them, and they won't like what'll happen

I think your question is whether it's inherently (i.e. default setting) lame and arrogant to have your private chat sets to 'friends' or 'off.' The simple answer is no, it isn't. People have a variety of reasons to set their private chat to 'friends' or 'off' so there are a variety of contexts the state exists in and can be understood through. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't.

Personally, I like meeting new people (especially since almost everyone I was friends with when I started playing have quit ages ago, so if I want to play and do activities with others I generally need to meet new people). But, I'm also extremely introverted. That doesn't mean I'm antisocial, but it does mean that I find interacting with people exhausting; even people I've known my whole life and I am extremely comfortable with. In RL, I sometimes go for days or weeks without talking to anyone I know for more than a few minutes (or at all, if the circumstances lend themselves to it); I try to keep conversation with strangers to the minimum I can while still being polite and avoid it wherever possible. Most people I know understand that I get burnt out. So, when I'm playing RS and starting to feel burnt out from interacting with people, I set my private chat to 'friends' or even to 'off.' I don't think it's rude or arrogant to be self aware and to use that knowledge to better my quality of life.

Some people do limit their private chat to be elitist and because they're arrogant, just like some people do/wear ridiculous things because they think that makes them awesome, rather than because they think the things they do/wear are kind of cool in and interesting/fun in and of themselves. But putting a one size fits all style judgement on that sort of thing only feeds into the same process and line of thinking. You don't have to like, or agree with, or just plain think something is awesome just because someone else does, but as long as people aren't hurting others with it, there's enough room for everyone to live, play and think the way they want. Anyways, if the arrogant/elitist people are all playing with their private chat on friends, chances are you won't be dealing with them anyway. ;)

4925608028_032fb6a619.jpg

It's called private chat for a reason. Same with public chat. I want to keep my privacy, that's why my private chat is set to 'friends' because I trust them enough to know they won't disturb me by spamming or asking stupid questions. I have to deal with these things already in the public chat. When I'm turning it to 'on' (happens rarely) I often get messages from people I can't remember asking me why he added me / if he can borrow my phat / if he can get some gps... and so on. And I'm only turning it to 'on' if I know someone needs help. And if someone really wants it he will find a way to contact me.

[404] Signature not found.

I don't give out my phone number to random strangers, or pick up phone calls from people I don't know -- unless I feel like it. Why should this be any different?

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Dragon drops: 82 (2 claws)

Dagannoth kings drops: 73

Barrows item count: 51

GWD drops: 54 (5 hilts: 1x bandos, 3x saradomin, 1x zamorak)

Whips: 4

Sigils: 1x spectral (FFA), 1x arcane (FFA)

Honestly the only reason my private chat is set to "on" is incase old friends get on and PM me. I usually keep my old friends added, but I can't keep up with new accounts etc. I get noobs pming me that I don't know who just ask for stuff and its annoying. Thats why I don't like the on setting...

61,358th to 99 range on May 23rd, 2010.

100,927th to 99 def on February 13th, 2011.

pigeons.png

Relics.png