Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Guide to efficient Frost dragon slaying.

• Please log in to reply
177 replies to this topic

xpx
[ Display Name History ]

xpx

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,161 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
  • RSN:0xpx0
Yes there are other guides released to date, and yes, they are not a particularly hard monster to figure out, though they can be very deadly if not handled in the right way, but there are still people out there looking for efficient methods of killing these babies, so first, lets meet and get to know our enemy:

Frost dragon, level 166.

Drops

Getting there

Killing and Cannoning

Luring

Melee

Ranged

Magic

Profit

Experience

Killing tips and Rewards

This is my first guide so I’d be grateful for useful feedback, and I hope you enjoyed reading this guide. Thank you.

Frost dragons with war tortoise

Credits

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

bc6a97acbb.png
First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

AlexRose
[ Display Name History ]

AlexRose

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 347 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Many Cookies
Nice guide, although I personally won't be using it for a while (Only 112 Combat). Just a note for everyone without Super Antifires, Protect from Magic and and a regular Antifire completely negates the Dragonfire attack, making Super Antifires uneccesary (as you're praying Magic anyway).

xpx
[ Display Name History ]

xpx

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,161 posts

Nice guide, although I personally won't be using it for a while (Only 112 Combat). Just a note for everyone without Super Antifires, Protect from Magic and and a regular Antifire completely negates the Dragonfire attack, making Super Antifires uneccesary (as you're praying Magic anyway).

There are actually 2 reasons why i'd advise against using normal antifires(though yeah, they will be as good as super ones for 99% of the time).
Fristly, You will get 2 messages for dragonfire with the method, so it will be even harder to spot the important messages you need to spot- cannon decay(every 20 minutes), antifire running off(every ~6 minutes) and overload running off(every 5 minutes), and coupled with the constant: You are already under attack message! you would be very likely to miss more of those messages.
Secondly, as you are using soul-split flicking, you will be hit for more damage.
Also, if you already have the level for super antifires you should already have a great stock of those in your bank as they are free to make. Another small reasoning is that i don't suggest using anything lower than extreme pots anyway, as it's just not efficient.

bc6a97acbb.png

bedman
[ Display Name History ]

bedman

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,774 posts
  • RSN:bedman
Very nice guide, I enojoyed reading it. I'm about to get 85 dungeoneering so I might try it out. Constant soul split flicking sounds a bit tiresome though, especially when having to pick up drops, load up cannon and send bones home. We'll see how it goes :-)

xpx
[ Display Name History ]

xpx

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,161 posts

Very nice guide, I enojoyed reading it. I'm about to get 85 dungeoneering so I might try it out. Constant soul split flicking sounds a bit tiresome though, especially when having to pick up drops, load up cannon and send bones home. We'll see how it goes :-)

It's not really constant flicking, the dragons don't do much damage at all, maybe around 700 LP per 5 minutes which is less than 3 full dragons. The constant clicking is somewhat tiresome, but is nothing like the major competition to frost dragons- cannoning DK's or TD's(which is alot more click heavy).

bc6a97acbb.png

bedman
[ Display Name History ]

bedman

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,774 posts
  • RSN:bedman
True. Somehow I don't mind the clicking at TD's though (and do mind the clicking for banking, filling cannon, flicking soul split, and attacking new monsters). Also, is it me, or did soul split flickering get more annoying because of the wall of text it has now.

The_Clan
[ Display Name History ]

The_Clan

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 12 posts

There are actually 2 reasons why i'd advise against using normal antifires(though yeah, they will be as good as super ones for 99% of the time).
Fristly, You will get 2 messages for dragonfire with the method, so it will be even harder to spot the important messages you need to spot- cannon decay(every 20 minutes), antifire running off(every ~6 minutes) and overload running off(every 5 minutes), and coupled with the constant: You are already under attack message! you would be very likely to miss more of those messages.
Secondly, as you are using soul-split flicking, you will be hit for more damage.
Also, if you already have the level for super antifires you should already have a great stock of those in your bank as they are free to make. Another small reasoning is that i don't suggest using anything lower than extreme pots anyway, as it's just not efficient.

Just thought I'd point out, if you put your Game messages on filter then you'll get the important messages (cannon decaying, potion wearing off etc) but the junk ones like your shield/pot protects you from the dragons breath.

xpx
[ Display Name History ]

xpx

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,161 posts

True. Somehow I don't mind the clicking at TD's though (and do mind the clicking for banking, filling cannon, flicking soul split, and attacking new monsters). Also, is it me, or did soul split flickering get more annoying because of the wall of text it has now.

If you haven't seen it yet then you'll be happy to know that they fixed that problem and the curses work as they used to, though the text covering soul split was really just an annoyance rather than a real worry. I personally can't stand the clicking at TD's and surely wouldn't be able to concentrate that much for 8 hours a day, but frosts seem much easier with no real worry of dying.

bc6a97acbb.png

Obtaurian
[ Display Name History ]

Obtaurian

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,853 posts
  • RSN:Obtaurian
  • Clan:Dungeonsweepers (DGS)
I might get 85 dungeoneering (big might) and range them with a cannon for my last four ranged levels. Very nice guide. :thumbup:

Posted Image

To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

xpx
[ Display Name History ]

xpx

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,161 posts
Thanks for all the positive feedback so far and the few tips, keep them coming in. I also added a little more eye-candy in the rewards section and i'm currently working on giving more detailed information about luring and suggesting ranging/maging setups while giving more accurate numbers for kills an hour.

bc6a97acbb.png

superway25
[ Display Name History ]

superway25

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 407 posts
I know you already answered this on the other Frost Dragon guide thread, but Im just checking if your opinion changed after more time there.

So it's just not worth going there if you dont have a yak? I have basically every other requirement though, although Id imagine yak would greatly increase profit.

I have chaotic rapier, 99 att/str, extremes, turmoil, and best gear to use. Only missing out on the yak, which is probably the most important.

xpx
[ Display Name History ]

xpx

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,161 posts

I know you already answered this on the other Frost Dragon guide thread, but Im just checking if your opinion changed after more time there.

So it's just not worth going there if you dont have a yak? I have basically every other requirement though, although Id imagine yak would greatly increase profit.

I have chaotic rapier, 99 att/str, extremes, turmoil, and best gear to use. Only missing out on the yak, which is probably the most important.

In my opinion, and because this is an efficient slaying guide, it's not worth it, BUT, if you were to leave the cannon down the dungeon(which i'm not sure works) and bank quickly(~3 minutes) you should still be able to rake in more than 150 bones an hour, but it will be even less enjoyable. Can be done, not efficient, worth it if you can't cannon DK's or kill TD's efficiently.

bc6a97acbb.png

xpx
[ Display Name History ]

xpx

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,161 posts
Edit: added a more detailed insight of luring at this spot and added some useful experience rates for training at the spot. I also tested the usefulness of range and mage at the spot and found ranged to be better than expected and magic worse than expected. I'd certainly appreciate some of your numbers for any of the combat classes.

bc6a97acbb.png

D Jay99
[ Display Name History ]

D Jay99

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,105 posts
  • RSN:D Jay99
Say I wanted to kill like 5k dragons, how many cballs would I need?
Posted Image

Zemus3654
[ Display Name History ]

Zemus3654

Clan Official

• Clan Official
  • 171 posts
  • RSN:Zemus3654
  • Clan:Wilderness Guardians
nice guide, i might give ranging them a try
Posted Image
24th to 2496 Overall   ~  29th to 120 Dungeoneering

~ Wilderness Guardian since November 2007 ~

xpx
[ Display Name History ]

xpx

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,161 posts

Say I wanted to kill like 5k dragons, how many cballs would I need?

Around 40k with melee, more with range or mage.

bc6a97acbb.png

peehat
[ Display Name History ]

peehat

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 2 posts
ooo thanks very much Full marks 100/100 Well Done! :thumbsup:
Hey I am a Level 102 combat in Runescape with 99 Woodcutting and a few near feel free to pm me anything as I will reply.

yours sincerely George :)

Assume Nothing
[ Display Name History ]

Assume Nothing

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,190 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
Do like the guide.

3nslavE
[ Display Name History ]

3nslavE

Rat Meat

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • RSN:Morghuul
Would this be worth doing even without 99 sum?

ghjkl
[ Display Name History ]

ghjkl

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,226 posts
What does 99 summ have anything to do with it?
You only take a yak.
Edit: Why does it look like a mod posted from the index page on this topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users