Big Brother Is Watching

JumpinJax

You were probably reported by a p-mod. P-mods have no ability to sense sarcasm.

I know a few P mods, and some of them actually give you a few warnings statements before they take actions. P mods are regular players too, so by your statement, once people become P mods, they lose the ability to detect sarcasm and just report abuse machines.

a happy Runescaper

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because I have been playing Runescape for far too long, I instantly remembered one of the worst updates in the history of Runescape. I have no idea what year this happened, but Jagex released a filter in the game, making it so you could only say certain words: game related words. For example, when one of my friends would try to say my name, "jacob" would turn into "bacon." Thus, the wonderful private message, "How are you doing today Bacon?" The update caused an uproar. Rs was a much smaller community back then, and the person to person interaction was absolutely crucial in regards to the success of the game.

wait, what?

There was an update many years back where jagex completely changed the chat system. Any words you typed would turn into 'acceptable' words. So if you typed in "Jacob" it would say "bacon" and other ridiculous words like that. Needless to say, the update didn't last long.

What the [bleep] is wrong with you people?

I mean, context has nothing to do with it.

"Give me your account and I'll scam you" is a fairly comrpehensive sentence. For it to require context would be "Give me your account" "So I can scam you."

This reminds me of when I ws banned for a week, which was then turned into 3 weeks by an update for telling hyt chat that "Hey guys your password is muted see? 598753" "Oh, crap."

Even taken out of conext that message is fairly obviously a joke. And my message was far worse than OP's.

By the way, as a point, I'm saying the following to show you how TIF handles their reports far better than Jagex.

Give me your TIF forum password via pm, and I'll hack your account and link dirty websites and viruses on all the threads.

It's also flip side of the coin, most of us would know its a joke, but for greater consequences, some other players might not consider it to be one. Especially those who are new to RS and just try to stick to the rules.

For the most part, I know some people would be saying stuff that's totally against the rules, and then throw a quick response of "just kidding" to annual what they just said. Why do it if its against the rules?

I think the more appropriate action for this case would be without the mute, but some sort of warning message from Jagex with a screen shot of incident, stating something like "even though your intention was not malicious in any way, we recommend you to take some indirect approach with similar incident in the future"

Just my 2 cents

a happy Runescaper

What the [bleep] is wrong with you people?

I mean, context has nothing to do with it.

"Give me your account and I'll scam you" is a fairly comrpehensive sentence. For it to require context would be "Give me your account" "So I can scam you."

This reminds me of when I ws banned for a week, which was then turned into 3 weeks by an update for telling hyt chat that "Hey guys your password is muted see? 598753" "Oh, crap."

Even taken out of conext that message is fairly obviously a joke. And my message was far worse than OP's.

By the way, as a point, I'm saying the following to show you how TIF handles their reports far better than Jagex.

Give me your TIF forum password via pm, and I'll hack your account and link dirty websites and viruses on all the threads.

It's also flip side of the coin, most of us would know its a joke, but for greater consequences, some other players might not consider it to be one. Especially those who are new to RS and just try to stick to the rules.

For the most part, I know some people would be saying stuff that's totally against the rules, and then throw a quick response of "just kidding" to annual what they just said. Why do it if its against the rules?

I think the more appropriate action for this case would be without the mute, but some sort of warning message from Jagex with a screen shot of incident, stating something like "even though your intention was not malicious in any way, we recommend you to take some indirect approach with similar incident in the future"

Just my 2 cents

Even the stupidest newb wouldn't give someone their password so said person could scam them. I mean, it's like walking around saying "Give me your wallet and I'll take your money" in real life. No-one's going to give you their wallet.

And that's completely different from what happened.

It shouldn't even require that. Maybe a warning to player who reported him for wanna-be-modding, but nothing else.

The only difference between Hitler and the man next door who comes home and beats his kids every day is circumstance. The intent is the same-- to harm others.

[hide=Tifers say the darndest things]

I told her there was a secret method to doing it - and there is - but my once nimble and agile fingers were unable to perform because I was under the influence.

I would laugh, not hate. I'm a male. :(

Since when was Ireland an island...? :wall:

I actually have a hobby of licking public toilet seats.

[/hide]

I never curse (and am as morally adjusted as a line is straight), and also enjoy intellectual discussions. The key word here, you see, is intellectual. I usually try to avoid ignoramuses online (although sometimes not because I value a good debate). The question here is, do you really consider your 'conversation' with the hacker to be valuable 'player-to-player interaction'?

I am oh so very glad you continued to post on this thread and on the subject of swearing I'll refer you to this:

[Mod Edit] I know you were trying to make a legitimate point - but the video contained words that we censor, sorry! ~ Racheya

Don’t get me wrong I don't go around swearing with every second word but find people that hide behind the intellectual argument quite frankly idiotic.

And back on topic I would say yes I do consider the posters conversation with the hacker to have been a valuable "player-to-player discussion" filling the form of light hearted and sarcastic banter and understanding the situation, hoping to make him be quiet and providing a sarcastic response to brighten his and whoever else may have read its day.

Jagex really does need to pay more attention to individual cases if only they had the resources/stopped with the lies..

Edited by Racheya

Solo GWD'er

Drops: Bandos Hilt x 1/ boots x 1 / Steam staff x 1 / Shards x 9

99 Str/ 99 Att/ 99 HP (More to come...)

I am oh so very glad you continued to post on this thread and on the subject of swearing I'll refer you to this:

[Mod Edit] I know you were trying to make a legitimate point - but the video contained words that we censor, sorry! ~ Racheya

Don’t get me wrong I don't go around swearing with every second word but find people that hide behind the intellectual argument quite frankly idiotic.

Maybe you are idiotic :blink:

I'm not "hiding" behind anything, and neither you nor the OP has said anything to prove me wrong (not that I'm necessarily always right, but you haven't proven otherwise; all you've done is called me "idiotic" as if that nullified all of my arguments)

And back on topic I would say yes I do consider the posters conversation with the hacker to have been a valuable "player-to-player discussion"

Obviously, no discussion was taking place. The scammer was not out to make small talk; he was out to steal accounts and get people banned. The OP wasn't actually discussing anything with the scammer either, as the scammer was blatantly ignoring his requests to leave him alone. Perhaps you are so desperate to talk to people that you have forgotten what a 'discussion' is

...light hearted and sarcastic banter and understanding the situation, hoping to make him be quiet and providing a sarcastic response to brighten his and whoever else may have read its day.

The only way the scammer's day was brightened was that he successfully caused someone to be muted. Apparently the OP's day wasn't brightened because he came to cry about it on the forums. My day (and a numbers of other posters') days weren't brightened, because we saw the whole debacle as sheer stupidity. Perhaps your day was brightened because you lead an exceptionally dim life...

Jagex really does need to pay more attention to individual cases if only they had the resources

Jagex is a business, and whoever works there must have figured out that it costs them less to have naive players cancel their membership than hiring a PR worker and paying him a salary

Anyway, I'm not exactly sure that you've been reading all of my posts, seeing as how you could only formulate a rather weak argument against a single snippet of one of my posts (and seeing how poorly thought out your argument was, it is likely you wouldn't be able to assemble a coherent reply to a whole post)

All skills 70+

Trails: 2 x Rune platebody (g)

Barrows: 1 x Dharok's legs

Drops: 1 x Dragon skirt | 1 x Dragon defender

...light hearted and sarcastic banter and understanding the situation, hoping to make him be quiet and providing a sarcastic response to brighten his and whoever else may have read its day.

The only way the scammer's day was brightened was that he successfully caused someone to be muted. Apparently the OP's day wasn't brightened because he came to cry about it on the forums. My day (and a numbers of other posters') days weren't brightened, because we saw the whole debacle as sheer stupidity. Perhaps your day was brightened because you lead an exceptionally dim life...

Jagex really does need to pay more attention to individual cases if only they had the resources

Jagex is a business, and whoever works there must have figured out that it costs them less to have naive players cancel their membership than hiring a PR worker and paying him a salary

Anyway, I'm not exactly sure that you've been reading all of my posts, seeing as how you could only formulate a rather weak argument against a single snippet of one of my posts (and seeing how poorly thought out your argument was, it is likely you wouldn't be able to assemble a coherent reply to a whole post)

But if, say, another person in the ge had read the message, it would've incited a chuckle. Hence it was a worthwhile message.

And as for the second, that makes me lose respect for Jagex. I sued to think they actually cared about things like treating the players right over making as much money as possible. Now I'm not so sure. Hence why I no longer play.

The only difference between Hitler and the man next door who comes home and beats his kids every day is circumstance. The intent is the same-- to harm others.

[hide=Tifers say the darndest things]

I told her there was a secret method to doing it - and there is - but my once nimble and agile fingers were unable to perform because I was under the influence.

I would laugh, not hate. I'm a male. :(

Since when was Ireland an island...? :wall:

I actually have a hobby of licking public toilet seats.

[/hide]

I once got muted for sarcastically claiming my main was a Jagex Mod after some guy claimed his name was Zezima. Reported by some [puncture] on the opposite team of CLW who's gotta be a wanna-be mod or something. Got something up his BLEEP and had nothing better to do.

Hmm, you broke the rules and had to suffer the consequences. Sounds fair to me. Oh yes, and people who report others for breaking rules obviously have no lives and are the biggest [puncture]s in the game. :rolleyes:

It is really hard to look at OP's statement as an attempt to scam people, but it's not like this kind of thing hasn't happened before. Gotta watch what you say with Jagex.

Etecoon.png

But if, say, another person in the ge had read the message, it would've incited a chuckle. Hence it was a worthwhile message.

And as for the second, that makes me lose respect for Jagex. I sued to think they actually cared about things like treating the players right over making as much money as possible. Now I'm not so sure. Hence why I no longer play.

It sure wouldn't have made me chuckle, and I laugh at just about everything. By your standards, saying "I have a full diaper" would be a 'worthwhile message' because while some people would be disgusted by the speaker's immaturity, a select few would find it somewhat funny

From a business standpoint, they probably care to some extent about creating a good player-to-company relationship, but ultimately they have to turn a profit. Now this is a calculated risk; even if the OP in this case was "wrongly muted," no one will listen to his argument because he was in fact foolish for negotiating with a scammer. Jagex has erroneously banned players before, but then unbanned them and given them free membership as a result. In my eyes, they have made some mistakes in the past (and will probably continue to make them), but bad PR is not one of my concerns.

All skills 70+

lol scammer

Maybe so. But I am a respectful scammer, no? Rather than beat around the bush, I go get straight to the honest point. By the way, according to the explanation what makes a scammer in Jagex's Q and A, I didn't even attempt a 'scam'. Lol.

Dont get me wrong I don't go around swearing with every second word but find people that hide behind the intellectual argument quite frankly idiotic.

Maybe you are idiotic :blink:

I'm not "hiding" behind anything, and neither you nor the OP has said anything to prove me wrong (not that I'm necessarily always right, but you haven't proven otherwise; all you've done is called me "idiotic" as if that nullified all of my arguments)

And back on topic I would say yes I do consider the posters conversation with the hacker to have been a valuable "player-to-player discussion"

Obviously, no discussion was taking place. The scammer was not out to make small talk; he was out to steal accounts and get people banned. The OP wasn't actually discussing anything with the scammer either, as the scammer was blatantly ignoring his requests to leave him alone. Perhaps you are so desperate to talk to people that you have forgotten what a 'discussion' is

My lighthearted sarcasm got about 4 or 5 "lol's" all around the grand exchange. So it may seem like a pointless response to you, the statement had a positive reaction on a few people

The point still remains that saying any variation of "Give me your password" in any public area, especially the grand exchange, is a bad idea. That's just common sense, and it's been the case as long as I can remember. Joking or not, someone is probably going to report you.

My lighthearted sarcasm got about 4 or 5 "lol's" all around the grand exchange. So it may seem like a pointless response to you, the statement had a positive reaction on a few people

Well, you know how it goes: the class clown says something stupid to make people laugh, half the class laughs, and the jokester gets reprimanded. Times haven't changed

All skills 70+

Well, you know how it goes: the class clown says something stupid to make people laugh, half the class laughs, and the jokester gets reprimanded. Times haven't changed

I'd rather be the class clown than the stickler with his arms crossed and rule book out.

As the previous guy said, using: 'give' ''password' and 'scam' in the same sentence is gonna get you the mute-hammer to some extent.

Rozanante.png

Rozanante.png

Still the proud owner of Quest Cape since 8th December 2007

All skills used to be 70 or higher. (Dang you Dungeoneering. Oh wait, it's not a skill...)

Drops: Whips 8, Black Mask 8, D/Skirt 1, D/Spear 1, D/Shield Left Half 1, D/Boots 12, G/Maul 4, Range Ammy 1, Hexcrest 1.

I'd rather be the class clown than the stickler with his arms crossed and rule book out.

The 'stickler' would be whatever Jagex employee muted you, not me.

All skills 70+

• 5 months later...

one of the greatest necromancies of all time!

and yeah basically 1984 was basically just "i go into the woods and have sex and am constantly paranoid" - concept was good, writing was terrible. animal farm was much better

You obviously don't appreciate the intricacies of 1984. :angry:

Amitoz.png

Come to my Clan chat (I'm there if I'm online) if you wish to borrow a Green H'ween mask, Blue H'ween Mask, Red H'ween Mask, or Santa for a reasonable price.

And now to make a long story short (too late),

I truly feel like the wonders of Runescape are being filtered. Freedom of speech is such a critical aspect in this game (with obvious restrictions,) and If I'm not allowed to be sarcastic, then I feel like a robot typing. With every other part of this game being a virtual world, the character interaction between people is the one thing that is real. Having big brother take over this game, 1984 style, needs to have it's limits, and I absolutely feel the line has been crossed from realistic, to ridiculous.

Freedom of speech does not give you the right to yell Fire in a crowded movie house. With rights come responsibilities.

Look on the bright side - you can ignore all the bot testing questions for the next few days.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

Almost worth writing an article about, but I'm complaining enough about jagex' inability to act like proper enforcers of the rules in tomorrow's issue already <_<

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!