How to get minecraft to run smoothly?

noble_aloof

this computer is getting really old.. i was supposed to get one over the summer but i got scammed by the guy (who had been my computer service guy for 3 years) and now i'm waiting for my money back from the court case before i can buy a new one. so i only will be using this for about 30-45 days.

basically my computer is 1gb ram and a 256mb radeon card which was extremely slick back in the 06-07 days. for some reason minecraft, on lowest settings, runs slowly and crashes after 5 minutes. i did a clean on my computer and next step is disabling virus scan which i really don't think is necessary.. is there anything else i can do?

[size="5"][font="Georgia"][b]Staking:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#FFFF00"][/color][color="#00FF00"] 4+ mil[/color][/font]
[font="Georgia"][b]Current Status:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#0000FF"] Training defense [/color][/font][/size]

The RAM is probably the issue. Minecraft seems to be very RAM dependent due to how it generates the environments (procedurally). You could try and shut down some unecessary programs but I don't know how much help that will be.

i turned off virus scan and it runs smoothly even at mid setting. your probably right about the ram dependency

[size="5"][font="Georgia"][b]Staking:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#FFFF00"][/color][color="#00FF00"] 4+ mil[/color][/font]
[font="Georgia"][b]Current Status:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#0000FF"] Training defense [/color][/font][/size]

If it's a desktop, just add some more RAM, if it's a laptop then you'll just have to wait it out.

Finally on here to update that I have officially quit! It's been fun.
[hide=Signature]
Gandalf14141.png
R.I.P Billy Mays and <3 My Friend C.D.S 7/8/09 <3
60,816th to 99 Fletching 03/07/09|220,309th Person to be Able to Kill Dusties 10 Year Cape on 12/20/14[/hide]

grammar2gr8dx.png

What's your antivirus? No antivirus should make that huge of a difference.

Also Minecraft is a game that takes a good bit of processing power from the processor as well.

Try decreasing draw distance and quality on minecraft. I'm struggling with it a bit on a laptop with 2GB RAM and a 512MB graphics card, so I'm not suprised you're having a hard time. I would think that you will just have to just shut everything else down while playing minecraft and play it on lowest settings, or update. It's probably the right time for you to update TBH.

RIP TET

original.png

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche