Jagex's new bot punishment: Level resetting

The_Gabe

Has any one seen combat levels being knocked back? 'Cos i mean all i've personally seen is the odd skill... but the majority of Bots are gold farmers, that Kill for the money etc And seeing Level 3's taking on level 89 Green dragons would be a nice thing to see

That'd be funny. See level 3, check adventurer's log, "I killed a Mithril Dragon."

emot-geno.gif

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So... do we know yet if the resources gathered are also removed? :)

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

So... do we know yet if the resources gathered are also removed? :)

As we don't have any evidence, I can safely assume "no". How are you going to remove something that has been sold through the GE?

But if the account is banned then the proceeds of that sale will be removed at least.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

That's the thing; its not...

So what if a bot loses some levels; its gathered a ton of mone on that account...

I'm sort of irked that this is happening instead of banning them cheaters outright... Meh, cant win em all...

On a related topic; check out the rally in my signature!

Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

I don't fully agree with this new plan...

Woodcutting and Mining are just about two of the most botted skills in the entire game. So when Jagex decides to remove 75 Woodcutting from a character, to say level 30 or so, that's not going to let the person who owns the bot account to quit playing. Rather it's like putting someone on probation but is still breaking the rules and failing to comply with others.

So this comes across to me as baffling. The Report Abuse option isn't that effective anymore? If IP Banning can't be done, than what will?

I feel the same way... Hence the rally (see sig)

But Jagex themselves said bots are still nowhere near undetectable... So who knows; they may know what they are doing :ohnoes:

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
CLICK IT!

I feel the same way... Hence the rally (see sig)

But Jagex themselves said bots are still nowhere near undetectable... So who knows; they may know what they are doing :ohnoes:

Jagex Said;

"Unfortunately, these methods are reactive find a problem then solve it and if we just react, we'll always be chipping away at a larger problem. Even if we spent every penny we earn on staff and systems to ban bots which would mean no game updates gold-sellers would still massively outnumber us. Mod Hobagoly says, "Every time we double our efforts, gold-sellers quadruple theirs. We can't continue only using our current methods, throwing more and more resources at it." The only way we can win is to be proactive and take the fight to them."

And I think there are already bots out there that can and probably will outsmart Jmods.

I think that's probably why Jagex doesn't really have enough time to go banning bots right now.

However, weekly updates always screw bots up so at least that's one defensive weapon against them.

That's why I like "bot-hunters", because they know Jagex can't do a bot-hunting job themselves. It's nice to see bots fall victim to player pranks :thumbup:

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

I personally think that Jagex should use level resetting as a penalty - to an extent. On one hand, I believe the punishment should fit the crime; I have always considered it very harsh to permanently ban or stat-wipe a player just because they gained a few hundred thousand EXP illicitly. However, I also think that there should be some sort of deterrent to macro use, and just the removal of illegally gained EXP isn't strong enough to be an effective deterrent.

I think a good choice would be:

If the player gained more than 10% of their total EXP through macros, then they should be banned immediately. Otherwise, the player should receive an EXP reduction on the first offense, and then a ban on the second.

Just my two Baht.

ixfd64.png

ARENAscape:

Baratus [AS] max hit: 166 with Moon Battle Hammer

ixfd64 [AS] max hit: 116 with (untitled spell #2)

One postcount, one line post without justification of why a perm ban is always the solution... nice.

I think Xp Bug abusers should be the ones who get statwiped, not bots. Bots are there for the sole purpose of either; Training, or Goldfarming. For the latter, erasing levels will be quite meaningless as they still have their items, or GP, and all they do is keep botting.

One postcount, one line post without justification of why a perm ban is always the solution... nice.

I think Xp Bug abusers should be the ones who get statwiped, not bots. Bots are there for the sole purpose of either; Training, or Goldfarming. For the latter, erasing levels will be quite meaningless as they still have their items, or GP, and all they do is keep botting.

I would suggest if Jagex bans someone for real world trading (selling, not buying), that they ban the credit card associated with that account. I understand that the people use stolen credit cards, and this idea would also do a sweep of the account to make sure they couldn't use the same card for other accounts.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

I know this may sound crazy, and Jagex probably going to hate me for this, but TBH so many freaking botters that don't get caught, that I'm beginning to think Jagex secretly owns some of the gold farming websites.

Pinata.png
Capes in order: Firemaking - Cooking - Construction - 99 Dungeoneering
- 120 Dungeoneering - Quest - Strength - Prayer - Herblore - Constitution
- Attack - Defence - Ranged - Runecrafting - Magic - Fletching - Mining

- Farming - Smithing - Slayer - Woodcutting - Summoning - Thieving - Hunter

- Fishing - Agility - Crafting - Divination - Max - Completionist

0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0100 0101

I know this may sound crazy, and Jagex probably going to hate me for this, but TBH so many freaking botters that don't get caught, that I'm beginning to think Jagex secretly owns some of the gold farming websites.

Yes, you're probably right. You know that whole Plague City storyline? It's an allusion of the entire situation, created by the original J-Mods who couldn't stand the guilt from what the newer ones were doing and wished to tell the truth in a vague way. No, really, think about it.

2dgucz6.png

I actually think that would be an awesome buisness plan if i were jagex.

O.O

If that were true, then Jagex need not make trade limit changes and wildy changes. I would still be a bit surprised though, if what you said was in fact the case.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

I can confirm that resetting levels might be a punishment now, just saw a level 4 at GE with firecape.

lol Now how is that a punishment.

Pinata.png
Capes in order: Firemaking - Cooking - Construction - 99 Dungeoneering
- 120 Dungeoneering - Quest - Strength - Prayer - Herblore - Constitution
- Attack - Defence - Ranged - Runecrafting - Magic - Fletching - Mining

- Farming - Smithing - Slayer - Woodcutting - Summoning - Thieving - Hunter

- Fishing - Agility - Crafting - Divination - Max - Completionist

0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0100 0101

This is actually really annoying not having proper confirmation of if its a bug or a real punishment. (Or atleast im reading this thread for it as I havnt seen it anywhere obvious on official forum. Infact its only this thread that I even heard anything about it tbh. Cant really be bothered going to bot sites.)

I frequently stop fm bots when smithing making it so they gain no xp until they are banned...then later unbanned after three days or whatever it is.

If they are resetting xp then it really makes it pointless but there is no confirmation either so I rather stop them gaining xp considering they get UNbanned later and keep any xp they gained previously.

Obviously both the 3 day ban (or wtf it is) and xp reset are both [developmentally delayed]ed and they just need to outright ban them like they used to. That way I dont need to keep stopping them in their tracks as I know their ban is permanent and any xp gained is irrelevant.

What would be even more annoying is if its like a choice by jagex and you never know if you get a ban or a reset or both.

I'm pretty sure this happened to an old TIF member years ago (can't remember his name) after he macroed. Instead of taking his account away, he just lost his stats.

Personally, I feel this is a pretty just way to handle people who macro rather than outright banning them. However, if a person wasn't a chronic macroer (like they just used it a few times but otherwise earned their XP legitimately), I think they should just get a level reduction rather than a full reset. It's bad enough so they learn their mistake, but it's not severe enough to unnecessarily ruin a person's entertainment.

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

I'm pretty sure this happened to an old TIF member years ago (can't remember his name) after he macroed. Instead of taking his account away, he just lost his stats.

Personally, I feel this is a pretty just way to handle people who macro rather than outright banning them. However, if a person wasn't a chronic macroer (like they just used it a few times but otherwise earned their XP legitimately), I think they should just get a level reduction rather than a full reset. It's bad enough so they learn their mistake, but it's not severe enough to unnecessarily ruin a person's entertainment.

Well, think of it, when using a bot, how long does it take to regain that level? Not very long.

In my opinion, if a gold farmer farms the crafting guild, he's mining level should be set to 39 and then he should loose the ability to mine the ores in the guild..

Maybe a level reset ruins their game, but their bots ruin our games.

Every single xp of mine is hard earned the right way and I hate seeing bots running around, thats just spitting at all of the real skillers.

And in addition.. Bots is against the rules, so they should actually be permanent banned from the game, but that would be to harsh. :)

demesterio.png

Well, think of it, when using a bot, how long does it take to regain that level? Not very long.

In my opinion, if a gold farmer farms the crafting guild, he's mining level should be set to 39 and then he should loose the ability to mine the ores in the guild..

Maybe a level reset ruins their game, but their bots ruin our games.

Every single xp of mine is hard earned the right way and I hate seeing bots running around, thats just spitting at all of the real skillers.

And in addition.. Bots is against the rules, so they should actually be permanent banned from the game, but that would be to harsh. :)

An even better solution would be to make skills more un-bottable. I don't support botting but a lot of skills are very monotonous and easy to write botting scripts for.