Tip.It Times - 14th November 2010 (Writing Contest Winners)

Racheya

Time for a new release of the: >>>Tip.It Times!<<<

We have our second set of writing contest winner's articles this week, so make sure to read them and let us know what you think!

When replying please make sure to clarify the article you are replying to! Thanks!

If you spot any typos or mistakes in the article then please PM them to me :)

Enjoy the articles!

Rampant flame wars have taken control of virtually every week's times discussion topics. The following guidelines must be followed when posting on this topic. Posts that ignore these guidelines will be removed.

1. You are invited and welcome to express like or dislike on articles and a particular author's writing style. It is not acceptable, however, to flame or personally insult an author. Posts that aren't anything but an attack will be removed from the topic.

2. Spelling and grammar errors can be reported to Racheya by PMing her and they will be fixed promptly. It is not necessary to post them on the discussion topic.

3. Off topic posts that do not discuss the content of that week's articles will be removed. This is not the place to discuss the direction of the times, how much you love or hate the times, etc. Off topic posts will be removed.

By keeping within these guidelines, Times discussion topics will mean more for the Panel and Administration than just a place for flame wars. Flame wars do not provide any useful feedback to the Times, which is mainly what we're aiming for with these topics: feedback.

This policy is effective as of now, November 17, 2010. Any posts prior to the creation of this policy may or may not be removed according to the new guidelines.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

@Jonanananas article:

The CM team is the one putting on the community events. They're not really equipped to tackle most of the communication that players are looking for (most of our questions would be for the dev team). For a while (towards the end of last year) Community Management did handle direct communication with weekly Q&A sessions. They did nine of them, and they didn't have a whole lot of interesting answers.

@Jonanananas article:

The CM team is the one putting on the community events. They're not really equipped to tackle most of the communication that players are looking for (most of our questions would be for the dev team). For a while (towards the end of last year) Community Management did handle direct communication with weekly Q&A sessions. They did nine of them, and they didn't have a whole lot of interesting answers.

Which is why I believe the article calls for jagex to put their resources to areas that most of us want and will appreciate and/or find useful, not Q&A sessions that "didn't have a whole lot of interesting answers"

"In order to lead, you must learn how to carry your followers upon your shoulders"

"A man is not only defined by his abilities, but also by those of the men with which he surrounds himself"

"The meek fight for skill and fame, the strong fight for power with the skill and fame they already have"

"There is no good without sacrifice and no sacrifice without mercy"

Already working on the 3rd issue (chapter 2) :)

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

Didn't read the first 2 as there no interest to me, I only play the game, all others like community events, QnA, etc i have no interest in as i don't have time to commit to them. maybe one day. :unsure:

The first fictonal was a Lil anticlimatic, but was good.

The second was, I dunno yet, story got me hooked, but we'll see how it goes

I don't know which mod did this. I don't know why they did it. If they're looking for money, I can tell them I don't have any as I'm a student. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over 4 years of RuneScape. Skills that I have worked hard for and people like them can't take them away. If they give me my particles back now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for them, I will not pursue them. But if they don't, I will look for them, I will find them, and they won't like what'll happen

Well, the non fictionals didn't seem to interest me, so I didn't really look at any articles this week. Slightly disappointed

You just answered your own "question" :)

Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

Well, the non fictionals didn't seem to interest me, so I didn't really look at any articles this week. Slightly disappointed

You just answered your own "question" :)

What question? I skim through every article. I just found none of them interesting at all

Didn't read the first 2 as there no interest to me, I only play the game, all others like community events, QnA, etc i have no interest in as i don't have time to commit to them. maybe one day. :unsure:

....You guys are really good at missing the point. See if you actually read the articles, you would realize that the lack of interesting community events and activities is the issue being discussed. L2notpassjudgementb4youread

"In order to lead, you must learn how to carry your followers upon your shoulders"

"A man is not only defined by his abilities, but also by those of the men with which he surrounds himself"

"The meek fight for skill and fame, the strong fight for power with the skill and fame they already have"

Wow, looks like Tip.It is in dire need of a proof-reader. Gave up on the first article after frustration at the ridiculous "What do you do you do..." of the 2nd paragraph, the personalisation of inanimate entities in the 3rd, etc. In the interests of my own self-stated pedantry I should point out that the first sentence of the entire article is poorly written/edited too. I don't take great pleasure or pride in being a grammar Nazi, but I quite simply couldn't be bothered to read on after an irritating start.

The second article is similarly littered with schoolboy errors that make an otherwise interesting new topic frustrating to read.

3rd article was slightly too aimless for my liking and sadly once again was let down by poor editing. The 3rd paragraph, for example, goes from a representation of the present, to a description of the past. No paragraph can read: "this time is different. We knew they were coming" if it is to appear cohesive to the readers.

4th article: just because I'm feeling critical, this one can't escape either. I recently read a commentary by a scholar who resents the word "literally", which has led me to the same disenchanted state. It is ludicrous to suggest that Brundt "literally" ploughed a path through his subjects. I'll gladly lay down a fiver to point out that it would never "literally" happen that he should do such a thing. Good luck proving me wrong. :P Also, as I read along, what relevance does "I swear I just heard a goat" have? "I swear I've eaten cake before" might well be true, but is an equally irrelevant statement.

Dare I ask, how is it possible to both mince one's words, yet argue ferociously? It's not quite a mutually exclusive state, but it reads as though the author has just reinterpreted a phrase without understanding what the original "[he/she/it] doesn't mince [their] words" actually means. It would make far more sense if they were both straight-talking (ie didn't mince their words) and therefore argued a lot, which begs the question be asked why this bizarre attempted rearrangement?!

------------------

I could go into far more detail on each of the 4 articles this week, but there seems little point. They are ALL let down badly by a lack of understanding in basic grammatical functions, with the end result that they all read as though composed by youths lacking the appropriate understanding. Perhaps this is the job of the editor? I'm not going to blast the authors further, they may not even be English speakers naturally, in which case they are all to be commended for achieving better results than the majority of English speakers could in the corresponding foreign language. Suffice to say that if this is the direction tip.it times is due to head towards in the future, the times will become something of an elephants' graveyard for redundant authors.

Edit: How's this for irony: Typos/grammatical flaws are to be PMed to Racheya, the person with a mis-spelt signature pic...! :P

Well, you're probably right about us (the panel) needing more proofreaders/editors (hell, even writers)...

And also about at least me not being a native english speaker (dutchy here, so there's really no excuse as 90% of us speak english)...

Mind you that two of the articles are from the runners-up of the contest recently held (they did not win for obvious reasons)... It did not see a whole lot of submissions, and I do believe that these articles did not get the editors attention as much as the articles did from the panel's writers, but yeah... no excuse really...

I can only comment on your comment on my own article (the 4th), and I did indeed not spot the mistake of the word literally... Understand that I type in frenzies when I get the inspiration to, and stuff like this slips through... As for the mincing mistake, I honestly thought it meant the exact opposite of what I just found in the dictionary...

As for the goat reference; Go visit the mountain camp in-game, you then might make more sense of the supposed confusion of the narrator :)

Finally; I'm just trying to tell the story, so please comment on that... I you still want, feel free to peel minuscule or otherwise insignificant things apart if you like, but it does not make you a person I'd gladly take criticism from... Do not judge the Times as a whole; we are a panel of collegues, not a team... Judge the individual writer and/or editor on his individual articles, stories and/or editing skills... Painting us all with the same brush by calling the Times an elephants graveyard only works if you think ALL articles/writers/editors are crap...

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
CLICK IT!

Dare I ask, how is it possible to both mince one's words, yet argue ferociously?

Basically its when the conversation devolves into mixed up words and angry grunting, generally limited to barbarians and dwarves :D

On a more serious note waheera, If you have the power to fix something that you care about you have two options, work to fix it or stop caring. Talk to mirror or Racheya about becoming an editor, I know I'd be glad to have you.

Waheera, your comment about the direction of the times bugs me.

Maybe assuming you have the right to pass judgement on a group of volunteers makes you feel powerful. Or maybe you truly care about the direction of the times.

Either way, understand that it's insulting to hear that the products of our time and creativity are crap.

Understand also, that as volunteers, the editorial team generally has no formal skills.

I read alot. I don't study english, I couldn't define a preposition, and most days I'd probably mix up similies and metaphors. I edit by reading through, usually only once, and changing things to how I think it should read. Sometimes at 4am on Monday morning.

Now you managed to pick up a couple of (what seem to me) trivial errors I missed. I'm sure they didn't actually destroy the reading experience as much as that last post implies. If they did, well.. you should probably get that OCD looked at.

You seem like an intelligent guy. I'd be happy to hear what mistakes I missed in the second article. Try and remember for the future that it's not hard to let us know about them without insulting the Times crew.

The second article is similarly littered with schoolboy errors that make an otherwise interesting new topic frustrating to read.
I have to admit I got a wee bit annoyed by that, considering I had revised that article three times on my own, followed by two other revisions by two other people. We work hard to write these articles, and honestly, comments like that don't encourage us.

Sorry I'm not an English major and that I don't get out the Bedford Handbook every time I write an article.<_<

Well, there's a difference between being an English major and writing articles of decent quality. That said, the mistakes that were made didn't really bother me and I don't see why that one poster is getting so worked up over them :mellow:

I feel the same way as the author of the first article does...I really don't have anything to add to that.

As for the second article, I find that I use(d) voice-chat mostly out of convenience. Performing in an intense boss battle while typing just isn't possible, but voice-chat doesn't require you to press any buttons (apart from a conveniently placed push-to-talk button maybe). I never really felt that voice-chat added personality or anything. What a person says (or types) and how he acts means more to me than the way he sounds.

That said, that particular bit wasn't really the focus of the article. Like the author, I too am a bit sceptical about the referenced article's findings.

I'm not in a fictional mood right now, will read those later :)

First of all, I want to apologize for the mistakes I made - I guess you can call these a schoolboy's errors as I AM, indeed a schoolboy who mostly learned his writing style from trial and error+listening, and that mostly on the RSOF instead of the english classes I have. Unless I take professional education in english, I will never get to the level of a native speaker - qualifications from school simply are not high enough.

Of course, if you could give me a few tips, or just some examples how you would've worded certain parts, that'd be great.

On the ones you mentioned: The first one was a typo that I personally easily read over. I had to look twice at the sentence even to realize what was the fault.

The second one is obviously a grammatical error, nothing to discuss here.

But what exactly would be wrong with the first sentence? The preposition?

On the topic of my article, I didn't intend to put blame on the CM team. Yes, I know they mostly just handle the events and are not equipped for serious discussion. But that's exactly the problem. Not the CM Team, but the fact that apparently they never know if a developer changed something or not. Just look at this whole mess with the Dungeoneering shields.

The KB was wrong for 6! Months and it's still kind of misleading. Now that the people who bought these shields are complaining as they have been lured into buying crap(because that's what these shields are) for up to 600k tokens, apparently Mod Emilee has said there isn't going to be a refund. Don't ask me where she posted it, because I DON'T KNOW. I don't know what the reasons are either. I'm not sure she even has stated any.

And here we are again. the FAQ only says the KB was wrong. Neither are there given reasons why there is no refund, nor is there even a simple "we're sorry". I'd want more information, but where am I going to get it from? File dozens of threads with hundreds of pages until I find the one post from Mod Emilee? Hell no.

I'm really quite angry these guys don't get a refund, although I'm very far away from buying one of those myself. I am angry at whoever was in charge of the decision here. I think there must be reasons why they didn't do it, and they may be good ones. But as long as I do not get told these reasons, I cannot understand them, cannot understand the move of Jagex and only see negative impact. What else should I do than being angry?

I do not care whoever is guilty of what. But something is simpy going WRONG at jagex, and I don't want stuff like that to happen again. But at the moment, I can't see any real future where that is going to be true.

edit: I have finally found emilees quote. No reasons for no refund btw. not her fault, but that doesn't make it better.

Ok so I still haven't worked out exactly how to respond to multiple people in the same post, so it'll have to come in a succession of responses, if anyone of the mods wants to hack them up and put them together, feel free.

Mind you that two of the articles are from the runners-up of the contest recently held (they did not win for obvious reasons)... It did not see a whole lot of submissions, and I do believe that these articles did not get the editors attention as much as the articles did from the panel's writers, but yeah... no excuse really...

I can only comment on your comment on my own article (the 4th), and I did indeed not spot the mistake of the word literally... Understand that I type in frenzies when I get the inspiration to, and stuff like this slips through... As for the mincing mistake, I honestly thought it meant the exact opposite of what I just found in the dictionary...

As for the goat reference; Go visit the mountain camp in-game, you then might make more sense of the supposed confusion of the narrator :)

Finally; I'm just trying to tell the story, so please comment on that... I you still want, feel free to peel minuscule or otherwise insignificant things apart if you like, but it does not make you a person I'd gladly take criticism from... Do not judge the Times as a whole; we are a panel of collegues, not a team... Judge the individual writer and/or editor on his individual articles, stories and/or editing skills... Painting us all with the same brush by calling the Times an elephants graveyard only works if you think ALL articles/writers/editors are crap...

Well, speaking purely for myself, I wasn't even aware that there was a writing contest... I doubt I'd've entered the competition even if I did, but it might explain why there were so few submissions.

As a disclaimer to all future comments in this topic, I should let you know that my first post was written at the end of a 20 hour day so I was probably less tolerant than usual. Hence, in this case, the flippant comment about the goat!

I would also like to point out that I wasn't describing the current Times as an elephant graveyard, merely pointing out that the editorial panel should be careful to avoid this becoming the case. This comment was largely borne of the fact that in many of the recent Times feedback threads there has been an incredible amount of criticism for the quality of grammar/editing. In the past it hasn't really bothered me, in spite of regular criticism, but this week it did impact on my enjoyment (possibly owing in part to the lateness of the hour as well) hence being so brutal in my criticism.

Storm, with specific regard to your article, I'm afraid I didn't enjoy it as much as I have some of your other posts. I wouldn't say it was the best fictional article I've read on here either, the impression I got being that there was simply too much information in the length of article that you had. Whilst I appreciated the fact that you made an effort to explain the context of the story within the fremennik lifestyle, rather than just making an abstract collection of characters made fremennik solely by geography, it often broke up the natural flow of the story. Also, you really must be very careful with your use of tenses to ensure that if it changes, it still makes sense in the context. That flaw alone damaged the retelling of the story significantly (at least in my view), which is a shame given it shows promise as a very interesting fictional article.

Oh and as for the "literally" comment, I never really had much of a problem with the phrase until I read the aforementioned commentary on the use of the word. It's actually quite entertaining, if you listen out for all the inappropriate occasions when people use the word, as it is used almost exclusively to comment on something that in all probability could not or did not happen. :P

Dare I ask, how is it possible to both mince one's words, yet argue ferociously?

Basically its when the conversation devolves into mixed up words and angry grunting, generally limited to barbarians and dwarves :D

On a more serious note waheera, If you have the power to fix something that you care about you have two options, work to fix it or stop caring. Talk to mirror or Racheya about becoming an editor, I know I'd be glad to have you.

Haha, thanks Emerson, nice riposte! :P

As for becoming an editor, what does it entail? Sad fact of the matter is that I would probably find it very difficult to commit the time I would find myself wanting to give to the project... Still, if anyone wants to fill me in on what would be expected of the post then I might be able to help out a bit, that is if you were being serious! :P

Waheera, your comment about the direction of the times bugs me.

Maybe assuming you have the right to pass judgement on a group of volunteers makes you feel powerful. Or maybe you truly care about the direction of the times.

Either way, understand that it's insulting to hear that the products of our time and creativity are crap.

Understand also, that as volunteers, the editorial team generally has no formal skills.

I read alot. I don't study english, I couldn't define a preposition, and most days I'd probably mix up similies and metaphors. I edit by reading through, usually only once, and changing things to how I think it should read. Sometimes at 4am on Monday morning.

Now you managed to pick up a couple of (what seem to me) trivial errors I missed. I'm sure they didn't actually destroy the reading experience as much as that last post implies. If they did, well.. you should probably get that OCD looked at.

You seem like an intelligent guy. I'd be happy to hear what mistakes I missed in the second article. Try and remember for the future that it's not hard to let us know about them without insulting the Times crew.

As I said earlier, I was making my first comments at a time when I was probably at my least tolerant. I think the times is a fine institution within Tip.It, but of course for that to continue it must not fall short of the high standards set by its authors and editors over the years.

I realise it can be difficult to accept blunt criticism, but I thought it was probably the best way to elicit a response! I wasn't trying to say that any of the authors or editors were "crap" as such, but there were several mistakes in each article that stuck out to me in my sleep-deprived state.

Re-reading, the 2nd article in fact has only a couple of errors - look for a couple of extraneous words and you should know how to fix it - so I was probably reacting vociferously based on general frustration at the articles this week.

Rest assured I don't take any pleasure in insulting other people, their intelligence, or in this case their ability to write. Apologies to all those that it seems I've offended.

I have to admit I got a wee bit annoyed by that, considering I had revised that article three times on my own, followed by two other revisions by two other people. We work hard to write these articles, and honestly, comments like that don't encourage us.

Sorry I'm not an English major and that I don't get out the Bedford Handbook every time I write an article.<_<

Apologies, please read my other responses for what will hopefully be some explanation of my strong criticism last night...! Much of what I said WAS designed to provoke a reaction, but by no means was it intended to belittle the efforts of the Times team.

Understood...

And yeah, Lore did point me on my tenses... I sincerely hope that the story (when its finished, we've only seen the first chapter really) will not be too damaged by it, and that the overall epic will be recieved as well as I had intended it...

But...

Most people are right when they say soemthing along the lines of "I like where it is going, but can't comment on it too much until i've read the finished story"... Soemthing that I fully understand...

All I can do is churn out the best version of the story I had in mind, and when finally all eight parts are published; I will definitly recomend (and even nudge Rach to say so on the main pages) to read all parts back to back :)

This is my first ever proper attempt at a fictional, but if my previous articles have been something of an indication; I doubt that even you will be dissapointed after a 20-hour work day :)

Finally; expect someone contacting you soon in PM about what being an editor means... Trust me that it is no more difficult than what you expect of it :) Some of our editors also write; and more editors would give them room to write more/better :)

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
CLICK IT!

First of all, I want to apologize for the mistakes I made - I guess you can call these a schoolboy's errors as I AM, indeed a schoolboy who mostly learned his writing style from trial and error+listening, and that mostly on the RSOF instead of the english classes I have. Unless I take professional education in english, I will never get to the level of a native speaker - qualifications from school simply are not high enough.

Of course, if you could give me a few tips, or just some examples how you would've worded certain parts, that'd be great.

On the ones you mentioned: The first one was a typo that I personally easily read over. I had to look twice at the sentence even to realize what was the fault.

The second one is obviously a grammatical error, nothing to discuss here.

But what exactly would be wrong with the first sentence? The preposition?

Well I do understand that for those like yourself that are not native English speakers/writers, writing for the times is a real challenge. Let me be the first to congratulate you for bothering and having the time to make that effort. Please understand that any criticisms are made without any personal insults intended, but it's nice to see that you took it so well! :D

The first sentence: '“We want to be more community-focused” is a phrase of a great importance to Jagex.' is actually, "a phrase of great importance to Jagex." Petty I know, but also strictly correct.

Once I've dealt with all the other comments this week I'll try to find time to edit your article in the way that I would've written it and send it via PM or something. If I forget, just send me a little message in a few days and I'll be sure to get down to it as soon as I can. :)

Edit: And thanks for the cut and paste job on my posts, Tripsis. :D

Guest jrhairychest

I really must congratulate the Tipit Times yet again. Not only do you get contributions to your site from none-professional authors who do their best but also you attract such help and advice on your proof reading from such distinguished authors too. I think it's very nice of them to take their time away from doing their high profile journalism and novel writing to lend their expertise on your writing skills. It's good to see I'm in such distinguished company. A1 job tipit :thumbup:

none-professional

Nice try on attempting to criticize our spelling and such, you get points for trying but loose them for failing. Seriously though, did we not announce that we were going to display the winners of our contest that was OPEN TO ALL? Its people like you that turn others away from the tip.it community for incessant flaming, narcissism, and general negativity. I don't see you putting out any professional works so could you quit being an elitist asshat and get your head out of your crack for maybe two minutes while you read the article? Or is that just too much to ask from your typical forum troll.... I suppose this is the internet so I already know the answer.

I hope you guys are happy with yourselves, you spend so much time defacing the community that you won't have any left.

Understood...

And yeah, Lore did point me on my tenses... I sincerely hope that the story (when its finished, we've only seen the first chapter really) will not be too damaged by it, and that the overall epic will be recieved as well as I had intended it...

But...

Most people are right when they say soemthing along the lines of "I like where it is going, but can't comment on it too much until i've read the finished story"... Soemthing that I fully understand...

All I can do is churn out the best version of the story I had in mind, and when finally all eight parts are published; I will definitly recomend (and even nudge Rach to say so on the main pages) to read all parts back to back :)

This is my first ever proper attempt at a fictional, but if my previous articles have been something of an indication; I doubt that even you will be dissapointed after a 20-hour work day :)

Finally; expect someone contacting you soon in PM about what being an editor means... Trust me that it is no more difficult than what you expect of it :) Some of our editors also write; and more editors would give them room to write more/better :)

Storm, forgive me, I hadn't made the connection that yours was the start of a more lengthy series of fictional articles, which changes my viewpoint slightly. I very nearly made a comment earlier that I felt the level of description belonged in a more epic setting than the 2-3 article length of most fictionals on the Times, so it's good to know that that is exactly what will be following from this first chapter in due course. I still stand by my comments that it could have been better laid out but, given the novel I'm currently reading deliberately digresses to the point of absurdity in almost every chapter yet is still quite excellent, I shall endeavour to avoid making too many further comments or criticisms until I am able to read the full story upon its completion. Good luck!!

I hope you guys are happy with yourselves, you spend so much time defacing the community that you won't have any left.

I do hope that the "you guys" wasn't encompassing me as well (I was unsure given I'm one of only a handful of posters on here)?! If I gave any impression that I belonged in that grouping then I apologise, it was not my intention.

I do hope that the "you guys" wasn't encompassing me as well (I was unsure given I'm one of only a handful of posters on here)?! If I gave any impression that I belonged in that grouping then I apologise, it was not my intention.

Oh no lol, you're good. Seeing as TIF forbids me from "naming names" I can't specifically say to whom I am referring but rest assured it isn't you. You pointed out our mechanical errors and moved on, apologizing for any perceived insult; a sure sign of good intention and respect. However, some others on here have fewer societal graces than Attila the Hun.

Apologies, please read my other responses for what will hopefully be some explanation of my strong criticism last night...! Much of what I said WAS designed to provoke a reaction, but by no means was it intended to belittle the efforts of the Times team.

Forgiven. :shades: Although thanks to you, I have something to write about next month lol. So thanks. XD

And yet again the community fails to accept that:

1. The Times is NOT a professional body - nor does it try to be or want to be.
  2. A few typos doesn't mean you can disregard a whole article.
  3. Whining and constantly complaining about things does nothing but demoralise and depress the EP members who volunteer THEIR time to give YOU articles.

*sigh*

Can people actually read the articles and give opinion on the subject matter, not a few letters out of place. We've had about 5 posts actually addressing the articles, can we please just focus on that and not have another Times thread be ruined by petty arguments?

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].