Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Tip.It Times - 14th November 2010 (Writing Contest Winners)

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

Emerson
[ Display Name History ]

Emerson

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 132 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:I HaveSword

none-professional

Nice try on attempting to criticize our spelling and such, you get points for trying but loose them for failing. Seriously though, did we not announce that we were going to display the winners of our contest that was OPEN TO ALL? Its people like you that turn others away from the tip.it community for incessant flaming, narcissism, and general negativity. I don't see you putting out any professional works so could you quit being an elitist asshat and get your head out of your crack for maybe two minutes while you read the article? Or is that just too much to ask from your typical forum troll.... I suppose this is the internet so I already know the answer.

I hope you guys are happy with yourselves, you spend so much time defacing the community that you won't have any left.
"In order to lead, you must learn how to carry your followers upon your shoulders"
"A man is not only defined by his abilities, but also by those of the men with which he surrounds himself"
"The meek fight for skill and fame, the strong fight for power with the skill and fame they already have"
"There is no good without sacrifice and no sacrifice without mercy"

waheera1
[ Display Name History ]

waheera1

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 161 posts

Understood...

And yeah, Lore did point me on my tenses... I sincerely hope that the story (when its finished, we've only seen the first chapter really) will not be too damaged by it, and that the overall epic will be recieved as well as I had intended it...

But...

Most people are right when they say soemthing along the lines of "I like where it is going, but can't comment on it too much until i've read the finished story"... Soemthing that I fully understand...
All I can do is churn out the best version of the story I had in mind, and when finally all eight parts are published; I will definitly recomend (and even nudge Rach to say so on the main pages) to read all parts back to back :)

This is my first ever proper attempt at a fictional, but if my previous articles have been something of an indication; I doubt that even you will be dissapointed after a 20-hour work day :)

Finally; expect someone contacting you soon in PM about what being an editor means... Trust me that it is no more difficult than what you expect of it :) Some of our editors also write; and more editors would give them room to write more/better :)

Storm, forgive me, I hadn't made the connection that yours was the start of a more lengthy series of fictional articles, which changes my viewpoint slightly. I very nearly made a comment earlier that I felt the level of description belonged in a more epic setting than the 2-3 article length of most fictionals on the Times, so it's good to know that that is exactly what will be following from this first chapter in due course. I still stand by my comments that it could have been better laid out but, given the novel I'm currently reading deliberately digresses to the point of absurdity in almost every chapter yet is still quite excellent, I shall endeavour to avoid making too many further comments or criticisms until I am able to read the full story upon its completion. Good luck!!

I hope you guys are happy with yourselves, you spend so much time defacing the community that you won't have any left.

I do hope that the "you guys" wasn't encompassing me as well (I was unsure given I'm one of only a handful of posters on here)?! If I gave any impression that I belonged in that grouping then I apologise, it was not my intention.

Emerson
[ Display Name History ]

Emerson

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 132 posts
  • RSN:I HaveSword

I do hope that the "you guys" wasn't encompassing me as well (I was unsure given I'm one of only a handful of posters on here)?! If I gave any impression that I belonged in that grouping then I apologise, it was not my intention.

Oh no lol, you're good. Seeing as TIF forbids me from "naming names" I can't specifically say to whom I am referring but rest assured it isn't you. You pointed out our mechanical errors and moved on, apologizing for any perceived insult; a sure sign of good intention and respect. However, some others on here have fewer societal graces than Attila the Hun.
"In order to lead, you must learn how to carry your followers upon your shoulders"
"A man is not only defined by his abilities, but also by those of the men with which he surrounds himself"
"The meek fight for skill and fame, the strong fight for power with the skill and fame they already have"
"There is no good without sacrifice and no sacrifice without mercy"

ForsakenMage
[ Display Name History ]

ForsakenMage

Retired Website Crew

• Members
  • 6,856 posts
  • RSN:ForsakenMage
  • RSN2:Pengew Ami
  • Clan:EoE

The second article is similarly littered with schoolboy errors that make an otherwise interesting new topic frustrating to read.

I have to admit I got a wee bit annoyed by that, considering I had revised that article three times on my own, followed by two other revisions by two other people. We work hard to write these articles, and honestly, comments like that don't encourage us.

Sorry I'm not an English major and that I don't get out the Bedford Handbook every time I write an article.<_<

Apologies, please read my other responses for what will hopefully be some explanation of my strong criticism last night...! Much of what I said WAS designed to provoke a reaction, but by no means was it intended to belittle the efforts of the Times team.

Forgiven. :shades: Although thanks to you, I have something to write about next month lol. So thanks. XD

Racheya
[ Display Name History ]

Racheya

A noob

• Editorial Panel
  • 7,245 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Bernkastel
And yet again the community fails to accept that:

• The Times is NOT a professional body - nor does it try to be or want to be.
  • A few typos doesn't mean you can disregard a whole article.
  • Whining and constantly complaining about things does nothing but demoralise and depress the EP members who volunteer THEIR time to give YOU articles.

*sigh*

Can people actually read the articles and give opinion on the subject matter, not a few letters out of place. We've had about 5 posts actually addressing the articles, can we please just focus on that and not have another Times thread be ruined by petty arguments?

Posted Image
I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

wiltingplant
[ Display Name History ]

wiltingplant

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 5 posts
I don't suppose there's a source article floating around for ForsakenMage's opening paragraph...?

ForsakenMage
[ Display Name History ]

ForsakenMage

Retired Website Crew

• Members
  • 6,856 posts
  • RSN:ForsakenMage
  • RSN2:Pengew Ami
  • Clan:EoE

I don't suppose there's a source article floating around for ForsakenMage's opening paragraph...?

Unfortunately, it's an academic article that requires membership to access the whole thing, and I can't legally copy and paste the whole thing. But here's the article if you DO have access to it via academic internet access:

http://jama.ama-assn...short/304/7/772

The abstract of the article focuses on the decibels, but there are portions of the article that do cite the social changes that we're going through that play a role in going deaf.

Guest_jrhairychest_
[ Display Name History ]

Guest_jrhairychest_
  • Guests

• Whining and constantly complaining about things does nothing but demoralise and depress the EP members who volunteer THEIR time to give YOU articles.

*sigh*

Can people actually read the articles and give opinion on the subject matter, not a few letters out of place. We've had about 5 posts actually addressing the articles, can we please just focus on that and not have another Times thread be ruined by petty arguments?

I believe I was actually defending the times and its posters. Apologies if is taken in any other way :blink:

Jonanananas
[ Display Name History ]

Jonanananas

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,289 posts
  • RSN:Jonanananas
  • Clan:World60pengs

*sigh*

I believe I was actually defending the times and its posters. Apologies if is taken in any other way :blink:

If one reads to quickly over your comment, it looks like the ironical "from professional authors" is aimed at the editorial panel. I misunderstood it at first too.

Racheya
[ Display Name History ]

Racheya

A noob

• Editorial Panel
  • 7,245 posts
  • RSN:Bernkastel

*sigh*

This isn't aimed particularly at one person, it's just at the general discussion of the Times rather than the articles.

Posted Image
I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Guest_jrhairychest_
[ Display Name History ]

Guest_jrhairychest_
  • Guests

If one reads to quickly over your comment, it looks like the ironical "from professional authors" is aimed at the editorial panel. I misunderstood it at first too.

On the contrary I know that the people who do these articles are not professional authors but do this type of thing because they love what they do. My point was that some are judging them as if they were.

waheera1
[ Display Name History ]

waheera1

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 161 posts

On the contrary I know that the people who do these articles are not professional authors but do this type of thing because they love what they do. My point was that some are judging them as if they were.

I too was unsure of your true intention with the first post you made - couldn't work out if you were sarcastically mocking the authors or the critical readership. There was a certain amount of ambiguity with it. Just so you know. :)

Troacctid
[ Display Name History ]

Troacctid

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,373 posts
  • RSN:Troacctid
  • Clan:W22 Fishing

And there's nothing wrong with that. After all, from the reader's perspective, there's no difference. We just see published articles with a lower standard of quality than the other websites we look at. Why should we adopt a double standard?

Cowman_133
[ Display Name History ]

Cowman_133

Retired Administrator

• Members
  • 6,379 posts
  • RSN:Cowman_133
So I think this entire situation is getting stale. Every week these topics turn into some big flame war which takes away from the actual discussion that should be had here: the content of the articles this week.

Effective immediately, the following policy is put into place on Times Discussion topics.

Rampant flame wars have taken control of virtually every week's times discussion topics. The following guidelines must be followed when posting on this topic. Posts that ignore these guidelines will be removed.

1. You are invited and welcome to express like or dislike on articles and a particular author's writing style. It is not acceptable, however, to flame or personally insult an author. Posts that aren't anything but an attack will be removed from the topic.

2. Spelling and grammar errors can be reported to Racheya by PMing her and they will be fixed promptly. It is not necessary to post them on the discussion topic.

3. Off topic posts that do not discuss the content of that week's articles will be removed. This is not the place to discuss the direction of the times, how much you love or hate the times, etc. Off topic posts will be removed.

By keeping within these guidelines, Times discussion topics will mean more for the Panel and Administration than just a place for flame wars. Flame wars do not provide any useful feedback to the Times, which is mainly what we're aiming for with these topics: feedback.

This policy is effective as of this post, November 17, 2010. Any posts prior to the creation of this policy may or may not be removed according to the new guidelines.

Thanks for your cooperation in this matter.

Cowman_133
Tip.It Administrator

deacon377
[ Display Name History ]

deacon377

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 159 posts
  • RSN:Deacon377
Well well well.

I still see things in the good ol` world of jagex has yet to change.

Listen folks, I've been playing for a long time, I made my first account in November of `05, if I remember correctly...I still play that account.
I've played since half jugs of wine, and party hats were being tossed around like they were maple logs.
I've sat in Falador park world two whilst people chanted in multi color phrases "NO PK NO PAY."
I was there for the downfall of free trade, and the joyful bliss of being there before it died off.
If there was any time to doubt jagex's integrity, it would be those times at the most...not simply because climbing boots increased in price, and I'm not discounting or discrediting the article written (serious kudos it was a good read.) but one key point I believe he missed; we've been through worse.
And whether or not those worse times were from a lack of communication or not the author was correct by asking whether or not this was a serious issue, I must disagree in the interest of my own memories of the game.

As I previously stated, I made my first account around my 15'th birthday, and almost 6 years afterward I still play (albeit off and on...still haven't managed to get back on the horse since some major changes back in `08 and a serious problem with not getting bored of WoW- although I've not played WoW in nearly 5 months. this is all beside the point.) I'll be 21 soon, do I feel weird about playing a game with a load of people that range in age from 12-18? A bit, I must admit but I get over this by targeting out players that are mature or my age. The reason I stay is because of the community to an extent. In RS you have this amazing ability to be left alone, to do things on your own if you so choose, or gather a friend('s) go out and have a great time with or without them.
This independent or team working skill is what a lot of various people are looking for in their lives, whether it's to compensate for a failure downfall or lack thereof of said feelings. Maybe some people (mostly adolescents) are lacking a feeling of independence in life, but can find that in Runescape...or some people that don't like to teamwork with others find it easy to do in RS.
I'm not a therapist...or a psychologist...my majors are business and horticulture, but if I had to take a stab at being either, I'd aim it in that general direction.

I may be weird, but I'm saving up to be eccentric!

Sporks
[ Display Name History ]

Sporks

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,810 posts
  • RSN:Sporkophobia
  • RSN2:Spork DIY
  • Clan:HYT
Wasn't a fan of the first one, seemed like a pointless issue to me. Second one was an interesting read though.

99 Woodcutting on 30/07/11 - 99 Firemaking on 23/01/13 - 99 Runecrafting on 2/05/14 - 99 Cooking on 19/05/14

Retired 30/06/14

Guest_jrhairychest_
[ Display Name History ]

Guest_jrhairychest_
  • Guests

So I think this entire situation is getting stale. Every week these topics turn into some big flame war which takes away from the actual discussion that should be had here: the content of the articles this week.

Effective immediately, the following policy is put into place on Times Discussion topics.

Rampant flame wars have taken control of virtually every week's times discussion topics. The following guidelines must be followed when posting on this topic. Posts that ignore these guidelines will be removed.

1. You are invited and welcome to express like or dislike on articles and a particular author's writing style. It is not acceptable, however, to flame or personally insult an author. Posts that aren't anything but an attack will be removed from the topic.

2. Spelling and grammar errors can be reported to Racheya by PMing her and they will be fixed promptly. It is not necessary to post them on the discussion topic.

3. Off topic posts that do not discuss the content of that week's articles will be removed. This is not the place to discuss the direction of the times, how much you love or hate the times, etc. Off topic posts will be removed.

By keeping within these guidelines, Times discussion topics will mean more for the Panel and Administration than just a place for flame wars. Flame wars do not provide any useful feedback to the Times, which is mainly what we're aiming for with these topics: feedback.

This policy is effective as of this post, November 17, 2010. Any posts prior to the creation of this policy may or may not be removed according to the new guidelines.

Cowman_133
Tip.It Administrator

Excellent idea. Might I also suggest that waheera1 and Troacctid be put forward as proof readers for future articles? As they are very concerned about writing standards to post about it I'm sure they wouldn't mind helping out in ensuring standards are high.

waheera1
[ Display Name History ]

waheera1

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 161 posts

The second article is similarly littered with schoolboy errors that make an otherwise interesting new topic frustrating to read.

I have to admit I got a wee bit annoyed by that, considering I had revised that article three times on my own, followed by two other revisions by two other people. We work hard to write these articles, and honestly, comments like that don't encourage us.

Sorry I'm not an English major and that I don't get out the Bedford Handbook every time I write an article.<_<

Apologies, please read my other responses for what will hopefully be some explanation of my strong criticism last night...! Much of what I said WAS designed to provoke a reaction, but by no means was it intended to belittle the efforts of the Times team.

Forgiven. :shades: Although thanks to you, I have something to write about next month lol. So thanks. XD

Hah, I'll look forward to reading that one then (I think! :P).

And there's nothing wrong with that. After all, from the reader's perspective, there's no difference. We just see published articles with a lower standard of quality than the other websites we look at. Why should we adopt a double standard?

Agreed. Let us not also forget that despite the efforts of Racheya and other forum admins to tell us otherwise, the language of an article is inherent to its ability to communicate with the reader. If the language is faulty in any way, it denigrates the content of the article and rightly deserves to be highlighted as a notable point. Not saying flaming is acceptable, but some level of criticism for flaws should be expected.

Cowman_133
Tip.It Administrator

Not that I'm particularly questioning your logic, as I agree that pointless flame/spam/insult-fests are a pointless nuisance. I'm just curious as to why it has been deemed necessary to call out the Stasi on this, one of the more polite (and least read) feedback threads I've seen in a long time?

In the case of this week's articles, there wasn't really a great deal to discuss, but I would disagree with anyone who claims that this week's thread is a degenerate flame-war.

Cowman_133
[ Display Name History ]

Cowman_133

Retired Administrator

• Members
  • 6,379 posts
  • RSN:Cowman_133
Posts were removed from this week's topic prior to mine.

I agree this week wasn't that bad, but it addresses not only the removed posts but also the situations that were worse in other weeks. Regardless, this will put an end to the nonsense that tends to happen most weeks.

Troacctid
[ Display Name History ]

Troacctid

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,373 posts
  • RSN:Troacctid
  • Clan:W22 Fishing

Posts were removed from this week's topic prior to mine.

I agree this week wasn't that bad, but it addresses not only the removed posts but also the situations that were worse in other weeks. Regardless, this will put an end to the nonsense that tends to happen most weeks.

...Or at least force the creation of a separate thread for "Things that are wrong with the direction of the Tip.It Times" anyway. :-w

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users