Running in the cold?

Vulxai

You know, just out of curiosity, how would running in the cold affect your running ability? When I've had to run in the cold weather, my throat gets cold, and it makes it harder to breathe. Would running more in the cold prevent that/prolong the effect and possibly make running in nice weather/hotter weather easier?

~ Proud Father ~ Proud (Currently Deployed) Army National Guardsmen ~ Proud Lakota ~ Retired Tip.It Crew ~

Breathe in through your nose and out your mouth. It warms up the air so your throat won't get dry.

Finally on here to update that I have officially quit! It's been fun.
[hide=Signature]
Gandalf14141.png
R.I.P Billy Mays and <3 My Friend C.D.S 7/8/09 <3
60,816th to 99 Fletching 03/07/09|220,309th Person to be Able to Kill Dusties 10 Year Cape on 12/20/14[/hide]

grammar2gr8dx.png

^that.

Also in extreme temps (<-10F) Wear a balaclava and cover your mouth/nose with it. It will moisturize and warm the air as it comes through, respirators also work but there kind of a pain in the ass, and I doubt your running in cold enough temps for it to be necessary.

DK drops (solo/LS): 66 hatchets, 14 archer rings, 13 berserker rings, 17 warrior rings, 12 seerculls, 13 mud staves, 7 seers rings

QBD drops: 1 kite, 2 visages, 4 dragonbone kits, 3 effigies, lots of crossbow parts

CR vs. CLS threads always turn into discussions about penis size.
It's not called a Compensation Longsword for nothing.

I've sent a 12k combat mission to have Aiel assassinated (poor bastard isn't even Pincers-tier difficulty).

DM0Yq2c.png

I know when I moved from a warm climate to the UK, I found it quite hard to adapt. As you said, my throat got really dry and made it hard to breathe. It's quite a bit easier now though, I think my body's become used to it.

However, running when its really hot is difficult too, you just overheat. There's a balance somewhere.

RIP TET

original.png

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

When I run in the cold I tend to use a Balclava if its below freezing which it is at the moment. Otherwise I tend to get a sore throat and its not so good for your lungs I think.

Veni vidi vici

I came, I saw, I conquered

Current Username : Bludclart

Do what others have said, but if you have any respiratory problems like asthma, it's best to find an alternative method of excercise.

The cold air constricts the airways in your chest and throat, so that's why you are finding it hard to breathe.

2257AD.TUMBLR.COM

The reason why it gets so hard to breathe is because the air is thinner, so there's less oxygen. When it starts getting warmer, you'll find that you'll be able to run better.

If you're running in weather below freezing, wearing a balclava. Those help.

Do what others have said, but if you have any respiratory problems like asthma, it's best to find an alternative method of excercise.

The cold air constricts the airways in your chest and throat, so that's why you are finding it hard to breathe.

No, I don't have asthma.

And thanks, I'll grab a balclava.

~ Proud Father ~ Proud (Currently Deployed) Army National Guardsmen ~ Proud Lakota ~ Retired Tip.It Crew ~

The reason why it gets so hard to breathe is because the air is thinner, so there's less oxygen. When it starts getting warmer, you'll find that you'll be able to run better.

Please source this. The only explanation I can think of to go along somewhat with your claim is that colder temp = dry air = less O2 absorption in lungs = less blood O2. But as far as I know, cold temperatures do not produce lower levels of O2 in the air. I believe you're flasely associating lower temp with lower O2 because as you increase altitude, you decrease temp and O2 levels.

There's no such thing as regret. A regret means you are unhappy with the person you are now,

and if you're unhappy with the person you are, you change yourself. That

regret will no longer be a regret, because it will help to form the new,

better you. So really, a regret isn't a regret.

It's experience.

Drink some warm tea before running, and wear a ski mask or something to cover your mouth. Make sure to keep your feet dry so apply foot powder gingerly prior to running.

I will put my boots on.

I will pass on down the corridor.

Please source this. The only explanation I can think of to go along somewhat with your claim is that colder temp = dry air = less O2 absorption in lungs = less blood O2. But as far as I know, cold temperatures do not produce lower levels of O2 in the air. I believe you're flasely associating lower temp with lower O2 because as you increase altitude, you decrease temp and O2 levels.

It's not that cold itself produces less oxygen, it's just that the air is thinner so you have less oxygen being supplied to your lungs.

I have a hard time running in the cold for that reason alone.Trying doing a high intensity mile in 45 degree weather or colder, and you'll see what I mean.

Warmer air increases the rate of diffusion in the lungs and therefore a greater supply of oxygen to the muscles for aerobic respiration.

(Pretty sure the cold has a higher density (thicker) than the warm air: Heat provides energy therefore atoms spread out more, while cold air provides less energy so the spread of atoms is far smaller and hence denser. Or I am barking mad at 2am?)

Warmer air increases the rate of diffusion in the lungs and therefore a greater supply of oxygen to the muscles for aerobic respiration.

(Pretty sure the cold has a higher density (thicker) than the warm air: Heat provides energy therefore atoms spread out more, while cold air provides less energy so the spread of atoms is far smaller and hence denser. Or I am barking mad at 2am?)

If it was thicker, it'd be easier to breathe.

You must be barking mad at 2am :)

Thank you.

You must be barking mad at 2am

So you're saying that just because it's harder to breath, cold air must be thinner? Very dry, hot air is just as hard to breath, does that mean that it's thinner as well?

There's no such thing as regret. A regret means you are unhappy with the person you are now,

It's experience.

So i'm not barking mad at 2am?

Who knows.

It's experience.

I've spoken to some strongmen about training in the cold, and they generally agreed it was worth doing at least once. It makes you fight for breath and circulation more thus improves endurance.

http://www.menshealth.co.uk/fitness/cardio-exercise/the-ice-edge

So you're saying that just because it's harder to breath, cold air must be thinner? Very dry, hot air is just as hard to breath, does that mean that it's thinner as well?

I find it easier to breathe in a hotter climate than a colder one. But that's just me.

I find it easier to breathe in a hotter climate than a colder one. But that's just me.

I'm in no way disagreeing with you. I'm just saying that you're reasoning has a major flaw.

You're saying that just because it's harder to breathe (Getting less oxygen), there's less oxygen to be breathed. What Standard_Pix said agrees with my knowledge, that a higher temperature facilitates diffusion of oxygen in the lungs (Better O2 absorption). I disagree with your reason as to why it's harder to breathe in colder temperatures.

It's experience.

• 3 weeks later...

I prefer running in the cold more than running in the heat. I found that I run much much slower in hot temperatures than just running in winter weather. In fact, I believe some of my best times are better when I ran in cold temperature. Once your muscles warm up, I find it helps loosen them a little to help me go a little faster. Then again, I prefect a middle ground.

But being from California, the temperature rarely drops below 40 during the day...I wouldn't consider it cold, but it feels cold to me.