Tip.It Times - 19th December 2010

Racheya

Time for a new release of the: >>>Tip.It Times!<<<

I'd like to remind people of the rules pertaining to Times threads:

Rampant flame wars have taken control of virtually every week's times discussion topics. The following guidelines must be followed when posting on this topic. Posts that ignore these guidelines will be removed.

1. You are invited and welcome to express like or dislike on articles and a particular author's writing style. It is not acceptable, however, to flame or personally insult an author. Posts that aren't anything but an attack will be removed from the topic.

2. Spelling and grammar errors can be reported to Racheya by PMing her and they will be fixed promptly. It is not necessary to post them on the discussion topic.

3. Off topic posts that do not discuss the content of that week's articles will be removed. This is not the place to discuss the direction of the times, how much you love or hate the times, etc. Off topic posts will be removed.

By keeping within these guidelines, Times discussion topics will mean more for the Panel and Administration than just a place for flame wars. Flame wars do not provide any useful feedback to the Times, which is mainly what we're aiming for with these topics: feedback.

This policy is effective as of now, November 17, 2010. Any posts prior to the creation of this policy may or may not be removed according to the new guidelines.

When replying please make sure to clarify the article you are replying to! Thanks!

If you spot any typos or mistakes in the article then please PM them to me :) We're also running low on Did you know's so please, if you know any then PM me!

Enjoy the articles!

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

"eight years later and still a noob"

I can really relate to that article. I started playing in 2004, and still like the game.

I have a few 99's myself, but still think I'm a noob in many aspects.

Really liked this article.

2nd article, I wasn't too sure where the author was trying to go (No offense).

Fictionnal, waiting for the complete story. I will read from top to bottom :)

Andre the Giant (Gentle Giant)

Ha, I enjoyed the first article. I remember my first death was to one of those dang highway men. I think I even did the same and picked up a cape, thats ironic. I miss the days when new players were actually presented a challenge.

Low_C.png

It's amazing how naive you are at the start of playing RuneScape. I remember back in 06 when I started my old account that I wouldn't wear mystic robes until I was 99 magic. In my own little mind I didn't 'deserve' to wear them until I could at least enter the Guild in Yanille. I also remember PMing all my friends when I reached Ardougne for the first time thinking this was some mega-impressive achievement. Getting 80 combat took months and months because I didn't get the idea of staying in one place for hours and grinding; found it too boring.

It's no surprise that it took just seven months on my new account for me to overtake the total level of my three-year old banned account.

It's amazing how naive you are at the start of playing RuneScape. I remember back in 06 when I started my old account that I wouldn't wear mystic robes until I was 99 magic. In my own little mind I didn't 'deserve' to wear them until I could at least enter the Guild in Yanille. I also remember PMing all my friends when I reached Ardougne for the first time thinking this was some mega-impressive achievement. Getting 80 combat took months and months because I didn't get the idea of staying in one place for hours and grinding; found it too boring.

It's no surprise that it took just seven months on my new account for me to overtake the total level of my three-year old banned account.

Hehe, reminds me of when I had to go over to Ardougne and I thought it was like some huge journey, I got freaked out and when I arrived I didn't want to leave because I was afraid it'd be hard to get back :P I trained combat on the guards there, too.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Fictional was epicsauce! :thumbsup:

'Eight years a noob' was an interesting perspective, I've never thought about it before.

At 'All about the experience': I never look forward to updates, mainly because I'm f2p; it would be interesting to look at how f2pers look at the optimist or pessimist side, because I think we're more likely to just outright not care, since we get nice things so infrequently.

I myself have been an avid reader of tip times for many months now and a player of runescape for over 5 years. I have finally decided to create an account because I wish to give tribute to Syzygy. I'll admit this is very loosely based on the article, but depending on your point of view it could be very relevant.

A Note to Syzygy.

You probably don't remember me but when I myself was a runescape noobling you were busy being the best F2P player out there. As I mentioned I have been playing for 5 years, it was 4 years ago that I first met you while killing ice giants. I wasn't allowed to be a member at the time due to my parents but I Still enjoyed F2P. Sadly my nostalgia glasses do not remember if you were either very polite or very quiet. Regardless I'll believe that you were polite. As I moved on my Runescape adventures after that day I remember hearing your name pop up somewhere and that was when I found out how far you truly were in the game. I was bewildered, I had met one of the best players of all time. Ever since that time I would remember your name as one of my best experiences of my runescape history...

Years passed and I've grown older. Not even a year since I met you I was finally able to become a member. I enjoyed all that it held for many years to come. At one point I had started to lurk in different clan chats as a way to entertain myself. It was earlier this year actually that I was sitting at my computer doing some mundane task in Runescape when I saw the name Syzygy flash into the clan chat. I couldn't believe my eyes. I was even more surprised that you were nice enough to reveal your location to me. Here I was, a member for 5 years, feeling the excitement that comes when you first play runescape. You know the excitement, when you first figure out how to make your own armor or complete a hard quest. Syzygy you were the player I always wanted to be, and your name will always remind me the most of my early years of runescape. You might not believe it but I am on the quiz bowl competition team at my high school, where you answer academic questions. Last year the question came up on how to spell Syzygy after given its definition. Sadly I spelled it wrong. I'll never forget how to spell Syzygy again, and I am eagerly awaiting the day I'll be in college and the term Syzygy will come up in my textbook. I am currently a senior of high school interested in engineering...I know Syzygy refers to some sort of space science related occurrance. The day I hear that term is the day I'll log into runescape, and at the rate I've been playing currently, might be very impressive.

I'm not sure why I wanted to type this...well yes I am. As a runescape player for this long, I'll admit that it's the goals that drive you to play as you mentioned in your article. I'm not afraid to admit that the high scores mean something, if only for a little bit. As the owner of what I consider a high level character I know the desire to be remembered. It's the thought that you could be immortalized deep down that keeps you going, I think. We all want that in real life at least (I have noticed so many things that runescape has taught me in real life). I want you to know Syzygy, that even though we never really met, you are immortalized in my childhood.

I hope you see this, I'm not expecting a response but for the tip moderators if I could ask a favor...if you do consider this off topic I truly ask that you leave it be. I don't foresee me writing something like this again.

Maniac379.png

Maniacs Constructive Criticism QFC: 230-231-551-61144975

And you now what? Hes right. Cause along comes a new skill... Dungeoneering. And once again, over eight years after I started playing RuneScape, Im a noob once again. Yippee!

Don't really agree that you become a noob again when a new skill is released, was a good read, but the topics weren't the best. :P

I myself have been an avid reader of tip times for many months now and a player of runescape for over 5 years. I have finally decided to create an account because I wish to give tribute to Syzygy. I'll admit this is very loosely based on the article, but depending on your point of view it could be very relevant.

A Note to Syzygy.

You probably don't remember me but when I myself was a runescape noobling you were busy being the best F2P player out there. As I mentioned I have been playing for 5 years, it was 4 years ago that I first met you while killing ice giants. I wasn't allowed to be a member at the time due to my parents but I Still enjoyed F2P. Sadly my nostalgia glasses do not remember if you were either very polite or very quiet. Regardless I'll believe that you were polite. As I moved on my Runescape adventures after that day I remember hearing your name pop up somewhere and that was when I found out how far you truly were in the game. I was bewildered, I had met one of the best players of all time. Ever since that time I would remember your name as one of my best experiences of my runescape history...

Years passed and I've grown older. Not even a year since I met you I was finally able to become a member. I enjoyed all that it held for many years to come. At one point I had started to lurk in different clan chats as a way to entertain myself. It was earlier this year actually that I was sitting at my computer doing some mundane task in Runescape when I saw the name Syzygy flash into the clan chat. I couldn't believe my eyes. I was even more surprised that you were nice enough to reveal your location to me. Here I was, a member for 5 years, feeling the excitement that comes when you first play runescape. You know the excitement, when you first figure out how to make your own armor or complete a hard quest. Syzygy you were the player I always wanted to be, and your name will always remind me the most of my early years of runescape. You might not believe it but I am on the quiz bowl competition team at my high school, where you answer academic questions. Last year the question came up on how to spell Syzygy after given its definition. Sadly I spelled it wrong. I'll never forget how to spell Syzygy again, and I am eagerly awaiting the day I'll be in college and the term Syzygy will come up in my textbook. I am currently a senior of high school interested in engineering...I know Syzygy refers to some sort of space science related occurrance. The day I hear that term is the day I'll log into runescape, and at the rate I've been playing currently, might be very impressive.

I'm not sure why I wanted to type this...well yes I am. As a runescape player for this long, I'll admit that it's the goals that drive you to play as you mentioned in your article. I'm not afraid to admit that the high scores mean something, if only for a little bit. As the owner of what I consider a high level character I know the desire to be remembered. It's the thought that you could be immortalized deep down that keeps you going, I think. We all want that in real life at least (I have noticed so many things that runescape has taught me in real life). I want you to know Syzygy, that even though we never really met, you are immortalized in my childhood.

I hope you see this, I'm not expecting a response but for the tip moderators if I could ask a favor...if you do consider this off topic I truly ask that you leave it be. I don't foresee me writing something like this again.

VERY well said.

Although I can't say I've ever met him, it more or less sums up how I feel.

Ha, I enjoyed the first article. I remember my first death was to one of those dang highway men. I think I even did the same and picked up a cape, thats ironic. I miss the days when new players were actually presented a challenge.

i agree with this.

very nice articles.

'Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.' T.S. Eliot

VERY well said.

Although I can't say I've ever met him, it more or less sums up how I feel.

Thank you, I honestly was waiting for a response to decide if I was rambling or if I actually got some sort of point across.

Thanks

Maniac379.png

Maniacs Constructive Criticism QFC: 230-231-551-61144975

I'm ranked higher than Syz...

:shades: but only in a particular CC.

Nice articles.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

Hehe, reminds me of when I had to go over to Ardougne and I thought it was like some huge journey, I got freaked out and when I arrived I didn't want to leave because I was afraid it'd be hard to get back :P I trained combat on the guards there, too.

Yeah, it is a pretty darn far walk...

A couple years later, I'd be kicking a cabbage on the same route in the span of less than an hour.

8f14270694.jpg

The first article definitely relate to many players out there, everyone one gotta be a noob at one point. Even when you have high skills or a lot of experience, you are bound to be a noob when something new came out. I remembered the days I met Syzygy in Ice cave while training on my melee skills, the chat with him was brief but it was very inspiring (plus I was training whole night, so I can clearly remember that moment because I was having hard time typing on the keyboard due to mental fatigue).

The things I enjoy nowadays is visit my old training spots, and do the things I used to do as a young player while taking a break from training. I still enjoy RS these days, but I definitely feel that the old RS days (05 to 07) is really where the whole game flourished.

And Syzygy, if you are reading the forum sometimes, just so you know, slaying the dragon at lvl combat 97 is pretty impressive, but I am still trying to achieve harder goal than that (well, lets just say long time). Studded hide and rune chain still my best friends.

a happy Runescaper

Syzygy's article was a great joy to read. :)

I usually don't bother reading large amounts of text, but for a legend like Syzygy, an exception was the only option.

Looking at the current top of Free players, he's one of the very few that actually deserve to be there!

Thumbs up for that.

(I'm simply not going further into that matter, but I'm sure that everyone who knows at least a little

about the players up there, will perfectly know what I mean)

Skilling at your own pace, training what you like. It's the style I like the most as well.

You've always been my number one (must be weird hearing that from me ;) ), and I hope

you'll keep playing as long as you enjoy the game.

We need players like you at the top. New players need people to look upto, current Free players

need people to look upto,... And for me, you're the perfect person for that roll.

~no pressure~ :P

Friendly greetings,

Water

24bjlt2.png

-new channel-

So, party at the fremenniks...

Whouldda thunk same thing happened in game :D

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

Heh, for the first article, I guess that is why I always read up in everything before I do it in RS, so I won't be a noob when I actually do it. Sometimes the quest to be knowledgable is as time consuming as playing the game itself.

As for the second article, iI think it is the forever problem of updates. Who do we cater for, the high levels, or the mid levels or the lower levels. And who is really "right"? Now I don't actually look into the whole scheme of updates, if there are changes, I adjust accordingly plus a few private curses if is not what I wanted. But here is the thing, who are you to claim that it is " absolutely no" when it comes to catering to high levels, do Jagex really have an obligation to cater for high levels over others? High level players paid more fees, but you pay the same amount. I will also question the mentality of high level players in regards to updates, are they opposing it because it is a "bad update", or it simply removes their comfort zone in a certain respect. I know as a high level smither is enraged at the amount of freebie XP given out, but that doesn't mean my game experience should apply for everyone else. So I don't think, even in an editorial, one should give a generalised statement without more evidence. I just don't like the way the article was toned in respect to that.

I really don't think the lack of BTS is driving up hype. Is one thing knowing that you had won a mystery prize that you know is something big and valuable, is another to buy lotto. BTS gives concrete hype to what it is and thus imagination run wild but will not stray from area which Jagex hinted at. While people who fantasies random wild ideas is simply day dreaming of that lotto win, or the new content. Of course, I really don't see people imagining game contents as bad (as opposed to dreaming of a lotto win) as it is a game after all. Is it really a fault of Jagex when people dream of a lotto win when they don't actually tell you what is coming up? Hardly.

And consistency doesn't exist in RS to begin with. There is no consistency in amount of people who have high level in cooking when compared to smithing, both foundation skills of the game and F2p access. I think it really is grasping at straws when you are questioning consistency of rankings of mini-games. I really think you could had made a better example, even if it related to the point of castle war above.

Templar Guardians

When are trying to lend something, the word to use is borrow. Not barrows, which is a mini-game.

I am commenting on the article: Its Just About the Gaming Experience (all about the money)

I understand where the writer is coming from, but I don't think the writer went far enough. Jagex is a company that wants...dare I say...MONEY. Yet they fall short, in my opinion, of keeping their word to the player community. They have shown they are willing to go to great extremes in ensuring paying memberships. Look at this year's Golden Joystik Award bulletins and subsequent voting compared to last year's phenomenal outcome. This year, too, Jagex offers players a "reward" for making them the winner, basically a "pay-off" of sorts to help ensure a winning turn out for next year's voting, imho.

Then there was the Dragon Scimitar graphic "upgrade" Poll. They kept the actualy numbers hidden, and I believe it was because they had already decided on which "upgrade" would be implemented regardless the final tally of the voting. And, of course, there is the current fiasco of this sham of a "vote" to reinstate the Wilderness and Free Trade. I believe wholeheartedly, that Jagex has already made up their minds on the matter, and this "voting" is nothing more than a PR stunt to reclaim the attention of players that have since left the game. It does not take much to see the process being used to illicit player response is both invalid and completely biased. But, I digress...

I have never played Castle wars, but I did feel for those that do when Jagex decided to make their "upgrade" to it which fell quite short of the mark for those hoping for a better gameplay. I read a great many posts from those that were outright enraged by what can only be called a disasterous Update.

What I am often fond of saying about Jagex is that they should replace "quantity" with a more practical "quality" approach to implementing Updates to the game. they seem more interested in flooding us with new content every month rather than making said content more "glitch free" and enjoyable...albeit even playable without the need for fixes and patches. I long for the day when they release an Update that does not require tweaking to actually be played and enjoyed.

Quote: A central question here is how well Jagex knows their player-base. Do they know their own game? Do they play their own game? But oh-so-much-more-importantly: do they play their own game like their high level players do? I think we can all answer the last question with a resounding Obviously not.

No truer words were ever spoken regarding Jagex, imo. I have played the game since 2001, and I do indeed recall a time, before Jagex was even formed, when player's views were taken to heart by developers Paul & Andrew. Back then, there was a "sense" of belonging to a gaming community that LISTENED to players and was more interested in producing quality Updates, as opposed to the current way things are run.

My intent is not to necessarily "bash" Jagex, but instead just tell it like I, and others, see it. Instead of blowing smoke up are backsides with their "political correct" talk, they should instead listen to what players need, desire, and can actually enjoy. Instead of hiding behind their PR rhetoric, they should just tell us players the truth about where they intend to take the game...and why. We do not need more smoke and mirrors, what we need is for Jagex to keep their word when they speak, follow through on their promises rather than change their minds midstream, and to return to making the game FUN ( as opposed to just throwing content at us month after month as a way of appeasing the masses by overloading our senses). My views only, and no disrespect intended to anyone.

Thank you! The article was a great read for me, and fantastic food for thought.

:thumbsup:

Taliesyn.png

"Like Cornelius Agrippa, I am god, I am hero, I am philosopher, I am demon and I am world, which is a tedious way of saying that I do not exist." ---The Immortal

The first article was great. I clicked on it and started reading, and then asked myself "who wrote this?" Then I saw it was Syzygy and I was like :blink: I didn't know he wrote for the times.

I liked the article though. Good story and nice point.

Second article:

Yeah, I dislike how castle wars takes so long. And I agree that jagex doesn't seem to play the game the same way all the committed runescape players play it. I mean even looking at their screenshots of new content, I have to wonder who the heck took them. The one for the dragon defender update made me scratch my head. Cyclopean helm, whip, dragon defender, dragon chain, nothing else? I always wondered who takes the screenshots, and why they have such strange gear.

pere_grin.png

Heh, 8 years already?

I still remember comming over from the old forums like it was yesterday ... gods I feel old!

One of the old guard of RS.

RS birthday = Feb - 27 - 2002

Proud member of the original forum.

The first article was great. I clicked on it and started reading, and then asked myself "who wrote this?" Then I saw it was Syzygy and I was like :blink: I didn't know he wrote for the times.

I liked the article though. Good story and nice point.

Second article:

Yeah, I dislike how castle wars takes so long. And I agree that jagex doesn't seem to play the game the same way all the committed runescape players play it. I mean even looking at their screenshots of new content, I have to wonder who the heck took them. The one for the dragon defender update made me scratch my head. Cyclopean helm, whip, dragon defender, dragon chain, nothing else? I always wondered who takes the screenshots, and why they have such strange gear.

He's not a regular writer. As the news post says, this week was a special guest article week and he submitted this to us which we used :)

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

~ please note that I'm new to this forum and made an account just so I could reply to the first article~

First of all, MERRY CHRISTMAS! :D

I really enjoyed the featured article by Syzygy. I could relate with the article pretty well, up until the part about reaching level 99. I started playing Runescape almost 6 years ago and still, I only know most of the basics to the game. (I use to play just for the music--I loved it, haha)

Actually, I only played for about a year and a half nonstop (which is exceptionally long for me---it only took me 2 weeks to get tired of Maplestory). Eighteen months should be long enough for someone to master at least one skill, right? Not for me. I easily got bored of doing the same thing over and over to raise a skill, so I usually stuck with doing quests--only reaching the bare minimum requirements. When I finished all the free quests, I was bored again and stopped playing for a while. Then a nice friend told me he'd pay the membership fees for me, and so I began member quests. I think I've been a member for a total of 3 months, with some time in between each. The memberships were both good and bad; it was fun and made me love Runescape, but now I'm not a member and I can't use my bank to it's full potential--plus my inventory is almost full of important things. For the past 3 years, I've been on and off Runescape; I mainly get on just for the seasonal events..though I tend forget most of the events and only catch the Christmas one..

I feel bad not knowing who this Syzygy person is, while most everyone else who has posted here does..

EDIT: Could someone please explain to me what a 'Fremennik' is? I've wondered for years, but have never been able to get a straight concise answer.