Protein Powder/Shakes

Ouchy

Hi Tip.It. I'm a rower, so I have to do large amounts of exercise each day. In case you aren't aware, it requires cardiovascular endurance, and strength...

The last protein powder I used, was Metagenics EnduraOpti. This didn't really do anything for me, and I think it was a waste of money.

What is a good brand of protein powder to buy, keeping in mind that I want to get bigger/stronger. Thanks.

My relaxation method involves a bottle of lotion, beautiful women, and partial nudity. Yes I get massages.

ojdv.jpg

Hi. Protein powder is not going to magically make you bigger or stronger. The only reasons that athletes use protein powder is 1.) It is a super cheap way to eat more protein 2.) It is fast and easy source of protein 3.) Whey supposedly has a quicker "absorption rate" than say, if you ate chicken after a workout.

If you are serious about getting BIGGER there are some basic rules

-Eat at least 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight. So if you are 160 lbs you need 160g of protein each day.

-Eat roughly 0.4g of fat per pound of bodyweight. People make the mistake of avoiding fat cause they think "If I EAT fat, I will GET FAT" This simply isnt true. Your body needs fat to produce testosterone. And your body needs testosterone to, you guessed it, build muscle

-Eat slightly more calories than you burn. Calories are your body's source of energy. To build muscle, your body NEEDS ENERGY. Muscle can't simply appear out of nothing. Use an online calculator to estimate how many calories you burn each day. Try to eat between 100-300 calories in excess. So if you find that you burn 2500 calories per day, eat 2600-2800

PM me if you want any more advice. Or we could continue to talk here. Whicher.

Oh....and my favorite whey? Myofusion. Any flavor. I get it at bodybuilding.com

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

yeah it's weird. people think drinking protein shake will make them bigger

just think of it as a small meal. instead of eating a burger, you get the protein by drinking it without the extra carbs

i like optimum nutrition - double chocolate

mix with water and it tastes like choco milk

Yeah, I was buying it as I don't really get enough protein in my diet atm.

So it doesn't really matter what brand I buy?

My relaxation method involves a bottle of lotion, beautiful women, and partial nudity. Yes I get massages.

ojdv.jpg

Yeah, I was buying it as I don't really get enough protein in my diet atm.

So it doesn't really matter what brand I buy?

No. It really doesn't. I mean this is how I consider which protein to buy:

1. Taste

2. Price

3. Brand

Brand DOES matter somewhat -- there is a difference in the quality of the protein. However, it is never really a huge difference. Now...some people are starting to think that they should only buy organic/natural whey protein. I haven't tried any of those yet and I don't know enough to comment on it.

But yeah, this is my favorite: http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/gn/myofusion.html

Chocolate peanut butter flavor is THE BOMB.

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

Optimum Nutrition is the one everyone raves about, but I'm not sure if it's really any better. As part of a sponsorship thing, CUBC (Cambridge University Boat Club) gets a 25% discount on SiS (Science in Sport) products, which are supposedly the only protein products tested for athletes (i.e. for dodgy additives that might show up in a doping test) but they're still not that cheap even with a discount. I just get Optimum Health standard whey protein. I don't think I take it regularly enough to see massive results but it's a useful post-weights recovery drink and all important extra calories right?

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

• 5 months later...

I went from 160lbs to 188lbs in a month by doing this.

Eating 4500-5000 calories every day.

Working out every day. Every other day, upper body (weights and [cabbage]). The other days, cardio. Everyday pushups (at various angles) and situps.

Staying active.

Eating LEAN meat. Very little red meat (of course some, because I [bleep]ing love it). Staying away from REALLY fatty foods.

Carrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrbs.

Whey protein within 30 minutes of finishing a work out.

The great thing about Whey protein shakes, for me, was that they helped my muscles not feel so dead after a workout. Ideally, you want to eat/consume protein AFTER you workout. It just helps build muscle so much. Whey protein is just and easy and cheap way to do it. Chocolate milk is even cheaper. (My doctor says it's better than white milk, and I [bleep]ing love chocolate milk, so I'm not going to argue).

I kept up that routine for 3 months before I got a cyst on my tailbone, then a flu after that. Then winter-time depression. I plan on getting back into it. But right now I may have a broken foot. :lol:

top_lel_face.png

Wait, white milk is great for protein?

Rofl, I have a 10,000 litre tank of raw milk, milked by myself twice a day :D .

That thing could explain why I grew 6 cm's summer '09 and gained like 12 kg's, also working at a dairy farm.

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

• 2 weeks later...

I drink protein and it works well. You should also look into buying a mass gaining powder.

Would anyone recommend buying creatine/other pre-workout supplements? I have started to get serious this summer, and I was curious as to whether a pre-workout would take my ass to the next level.

I'm not buying a mass gainer as that will just make me fat. I get enough carbs already through my food.

Creatine has very mixed opinions. One side says that it is fine, the other says that it is bad for your liver. Do some research yourself, and wait for what other people here have to say before buying it. All the people that I have talked to that use it say it's fine.

Oh, and I've probably put about 1 and a half kgs on now, which is great.

ojdv.jpg

Would anyone recommend buying creatine/other pre-workout supplements? I have started to get serious this summer, and I was curious as to whether a pre-workout would take my ass to the next level.

Alright so I just drank pre-workout powder for the first time today. HOLY [cabbage]! I took 3 scoops and the whole time at the gym I felt like a superhero while lifting! I loved it. I hear creatine [bleep]s with your liver, and it may stunt growth? If it really does stunt growth, I should probably stop. I'm only 17. (18 in 3 months)

P.S. I used this stuff. http://nitrofatburners.com/supplements/cellucor-c4-extreme-review/

My protein powder finally ran out today so I picked up another one. Decided that for the first time, I would try chocolate. It could honestly pass as Cocoa as it has the exact same texture and fineness of it, and tastes like it as well when mixed with water.

ojdv.jpg

There is always going to be arguments over what protein is best etc. Theres alot of them out their! A couple of tips I always give my clients is. Avoid any protein shakes with added sweeteners, this will bulk up the carb and fat count and is going to do nothing for you, sure it might make it taste good, but thats because it will have sugar/sweeteners in to make it that way!

Rule of thumb for protein generally is 1 scoop calories should be not much more than 4 x the protein, example: if one scoop is 100 calories then there should be around 25g (give or take 2 grams) of protein in the scoop, if there is much less protein then its more than likely the protein is filled out with carbs.

As for the creatine, it has only been proven to cause liver problems with those who don't drink enough water along with it, which is advised with all creatine.

PS: If you are looking for protein throughout the day, dont ignore foods such as tuna, chicken, lentils, peanut butter (moderation) as they are also great for you. Most people prefer protein shakes after workouts as in liquid form it can access the muscles faster, thus helping recovery.

Sorry if this was a tad boring!

Plastic+Poet.png

For the reason you said about calories, I only ever buy whey protein. On the subject of Creatine, how much water should you drink?

You said something about your clients, are you a personal trainer or something?

ojdv.jpg

• 1 month later...

Figured I may as well post this. Finally bought Creatine today. I bought Inner Armours Mono-Hyrdrate one, apparently it's really good, and pure or something like that. I'll keep posted on how it goes.

ojdv.jpg