More Sad Graphs to Look at

pal2002

First, a public perception comparison....

1.png

2.png

3.png

Blizzard is known for its hardline attitude on bots (and a real anti bot program along with the game client)...and it shows. You can see that Jagex actually did a good job suppressing bots since 2007 until the free trade disaster recently while WOW has kept it under control ALL THE TIME.

Note on 3rd graph: search for "World of Warcraft bots" don't even trend, but "wow bots" actually INFLATES it abit since it does lead to other strange things

And because I got flamed last time by using google trends, here's all Alexa data for actual traffic. Note the still very unhappy RS trend toward lower traffic on ALL timescales. Very disturbing is the 23% drop in REACH. It's probably the best measurement of new players finding RS.

4.png

5.png

NOTE on WOW's web traffic data: Since WOW players do not have to go throgh blizzard's site to go in game or check on news I realize this is a very bad measurement of actual WOW popularity. Included for reference only. The big peaks are from diablo 3 and starcraft 2.

~Doooom

:(

PS: In other news, RS GP has managed to drop to $1/million....

I would prefer even to fail with honor than to win by cheating - Sophocles

php1CLVGLAM.jpg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it has been established there are tons of bots in RuneScape. Especially as of late. I don't need graphs to tell me when I could just go to world 7 and look at some yew trees. rolleyes.gif

Also, I don't care about WoW or that it has less bots than RuneScape. Hence me not on WoW forums...

Big_Stingman.png

I think it has been established there are tons of bots in RuneScape. Especially as of late. I don't need graphs to tell me when I could just go to world 7 and look at some yew trees. rolleyes.gif

Also, I don't care about WoW or that it has less bots than RuneScape. Hence me not on WoW forums...

Well, the thing with WoW was to show that when they say they have bot detection methods / etc... They mean it. It show's in the graphs above.

When Jagex says they've upped their anti-bot systems and that they've really cracked down on them... Well... LMFAO. G-g-g-gaaarbaaage.

09144a99bb.png

Runescape having a lot of bots available isn't really news anymore. And who would have though that client-based game written in C has less bots than Java-coded browser game. #-o

Sephy.png

Yeah its much easier to make a bot tht can run in a java applet than a bot that can run in c+ software.

Also note how these results are heavily skewed as you can clearly see all the top results are FORUM POSTS about botting not sites giving away bots. All thoose graphs show is more rs people talk about/care about botting as an issue.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Yeah its much easier to make a bot tht can run in a java applet than a bot that can run in c+ software.

Also note how these results are heavily skewed as you can clearly see all the top results are FORUM POSTS about botting not sites giving away bots. All thoose graphs show is more rs people talk about/care about botting as an issue.

Unless the top 9000 results are all forum posts (or other similair things) your statement isn't true :P

I think the difference between 371 and 9330 results is good enough to say that runescape has a lot more problems with bots then WOW, nothing new really.

http://sign.tip.it/1/2/79/260/essiw.png

Retired item crew

I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!

Unless the top 9000 results are all forum posts (or other similair things) your statement isn't true :P

I think the difference between 371 and 9330 results is good enough to say that runescape has a lot more problems with bots then WOW, nothing new really.

Not really.

All it shows are more website hits on the topic.

For all we known 200/371 WoW results are actual bot sites and note forum posts while 100/9330 runescape ones are actual bot sites.

Plus there the obvious issues between the differences of runescape.com and battle.net.

Afterall most if not all runescape related websites will cite runescape.com somewhere; but WoW is a disc based game and not widely associated with the battle.net website in the same way which would produce more hits for rs than wow in such a test.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Its a good thing that the Alexa stats are down for RuneScape. It means more and more players are removing the piece of crap toolbar they use to generate their data.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

I guess it does say something, but those statistics can easily be biased. In RuneScape, for example, it revolves around training skills. That is why botting is more of a problem than in World of Warcraft. Sure there's skills, but it isn't the same as in RuneScape. In RuneScape it's more repetitive I guess you can say. This makes bots more plausible for people and thus, makes more of a problem.

So the amount of bots can be the same, but it affects people in RuneScape more.

And no, I won't deny the increased bot-busting techniques that World of Warcraft employs. They have the advantage because their game isn't browser based and they have their own client. Not to mention it costs more, so that in itself is a turn-off for many potential botters.

j0xPu5R.png

Try using the right keywords to generate an unbiased response.

pyroxpic.png

The only REASON there are less bots is the risk factor. It costs in excess of over £50+ for all games and expansions now, let alone the monthly fee. That's a lot more to risk than a FREE BROWSER game or £3 if you are a member.

Runescape requires thousands of hours of grinding, WoW does not.

I guarantee you their detection methods are just as fail, but the bots are a lot more advanced as well.

qjDiz.png

http://www.[Caution! Jagex Rule Violation].com

[bluntstatement]

Bots will exist forever in every online game.

Suck it up.

[/bluntstatement]

Bionic_Yoshi.png

TT rewards: 2 ranger boots, Zamorak page 1 (2x), Guthix page 1, Ancient page 2

You must construct additional oak larders doors... I mean pylons

Barrows: 10. Total value~22.3 mil. Ahrim Robeskirt is currently the item I have received the most.

I just wrote in: bots site:worldofwarcraft.com and got 13900 results. Am I pro at statistical analysis now?

[insert birds flying in a circle here]

Yes, that sig was annoying.

Perhaps our discussion point should not be the (rather obvious) issue of whether or not there's more botting in Runescape now than previously before.

The issue is really, inasmuch as Jagex seems unwilling or unable to act against them, what becomes of the game when, eventually, it all turns into "botscape"?

nyuseg.png

Or address the highly naive and misled viewpoint many hold that there are bots in rs therefore jagex are not doing anything about them.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Or address the highly naive and misled viewpoint many hold that there are bots in rs therefore jagex are not doing anything about them.

Orly? And what, pray-tell is Jagex doing about them? :rolleyes:

nyuseg.png

Orly? And what, pray-tell is Jagex doing about them? :rolleyes:

The stat resets, the bannings, the lawsuits against bot sites the various bot detection systems etc.

Plv6Dz6.jpg