1 - Base Lore

-- 1.1 - Historical Lore

--- 1.11 - The First Age

--- 1.12 - The Second Age

--- 1.13 - The Third Age

--- 1.14 - The Fourth Age

--- 1.15 - The Fifth Age

1 - Base Lore

This section covers the basics of Runescape Historical Lore and some highly speculative lore that is popularly taken as fact despite being derived from limited facts; also included is a series of maps to show known territories and settlements at varies stages of history.

1.1 - Historical Lore

The known history of Runescape and it's five ages.

1.11 - The First Age

This is the first known age of runescape history. Religious theory states that at this time Guthix, Zamorak and Saradomin created Gielinor and populated it; this however is a myth.

During 'Meeting History' Laura informs us the world was created by the Elder Gods in a time before Guthix could remember; she also reveals Guthix is the only god known to them.

Equally during this quest an elf woman can be observed scouting out the human settlement; as the goddess Seren (see Elves section) brought elves to Gielinor this means she was also present.

No life originated from Gielinor itself; Guthix brought humans through a "Portal of Life" from another plane. Seren brought elves through the "World Gate" from another plane; Laura and her family are confirmed to be among the first brought to Gielinor, whether this is the first humans or the first being of any kind is unclear.

The First Age lasted for approximately 4,000 years and its end was marked by Guthix entering his first slumber.

Guthix is said to of shaped the world in this age via the Anima Mundi (see Gnomes) which was possibly created by The Stone of Jas (see Fremmennik & Mahjaratt). He also supplied rune stones to the people, though there was no knowledge of runecrafting at this time so magic was rare. The Portal of Life was possibly sealed shut at some point prior to the Second Age, therefore most races are assumed to have entered Gielinor by the end of the First Age, however it is possible the Portal(s) remained open until the Second Age. We have confirmation of one portal created by Guthix; however it is possible there were many portals each to different planes/worlds from which various races originate.

It is speculated humans were brought from our world to Gielinor, as during Meeting History we learn they were brought from a place Guthix called Terra which orbited a star called Sol. The human's refer to these as Earth and the Sun, Terra and Sol are also the astronomical latin-based names for the Earth and the Sun.

One of the last events known to occur prior to Guthix slumber was the founding of the Myriad Civilisation in the Lumbridge area; little is known about this race other than they were formed a civilisation of pure light and crystal that was beautiful, peaceful and made the wind sing in harmonies but they were a very delicate race, described by Juna as soft as snowflakes.

1.12 - The Second Age

Precise details of when gods arrived in Gielinor are unknown, however most gods arrived at some point before or during the second age, this age lasted for 2,000 years and is noted as both the age when Gods walked the world and the Age of Zaros. Exactly how many Gods there are in Gielinor is unknown, Postbag articles suggest there are many more than we know of, however most are assumed to be minor deities compared to the major 7 currently known (Guthix, Seren, Armadyl, Zaros, Saradomin, Zamorak, Bandos).

Saradomin

The city of Hallowvale (Meiyerditch) in south east Morytania is known to be the capital city of Saradomin, shared by humans and Icyene. However the extent of Saradomin's domain is unclear; it is assumed Entrana was a Saradomin 'outpost' as it was the island where he first entered Gielinor and greeted his human followers who settled there. It is not known at what date humans took up residence in this city; it is possible no Saradominist humans lived outside Entrana at this point. At this time Hallowland was a rich forest land, not the desolate swamp of modern Morytania.

Seren

The elfish lands are known to included Tirannwn and much of the western world with its capital of set in Prifddinas. It is speculated at this time Gnomes also worshipped Seren before becoming Guthxian at a later date due to their ability to work with crystals and nature in similar ways to the elves.

Armadyl

This empire is presumed to of occupied most of the central Kandarin and Asgarnia regions due to the location of the Temple of Ikov being central to this region. However little is known for sure, other than Armadyl was the 2nd major god at this time; having a similar equal yet opposite relationship with Zaros as Saradomin and Zamorak in later years.

Zaros

Zaros was the most prominent god at this time; his empire covered Asgarnia, Misthalin, Northern Morytanina, North Kharidian and the Wilderness (which was a lush region speculated to be known as Forinthry at this time).

The Zarosian region is one of the few places known to have many fortress/cities at this time such as Ghorrock, Annakari, Dareeyak, Carrallanger, Lassar, Paddewwa (Edgeville), Kharyll (Canafis) and Senntisten.

Guthix

The Seers and Druids are the only confirmed Guthix followers at this time; but had no stronghold instead being a nomadic people, like most humans at this time.

The "Barbarian" Races

Mostly made up of humans presumed to have lost their faith in Guthix after his disappearance these people fall into a few distinct groups.

The Fremmink - a group who headed into the frozen north and now have their own Fremmink Gods

The Jungle people - this group resides in Karamja and worship totem idols to unknown gods.

The Desert people - this group took up residence in what was the Kharidian Jungle/Desert (now completely desert). They were lead by the demi-god of the Sun, Tumeken, his wife the river God Elidinis and their two 'children' Icthlarin and Amascut who cared for the souls and bodies of the dead respectively.

The Monkeys are assumed to be of begun worshipping Marimbo around this time, although no exact information is known the Ape Atol colony is implied to pre-date the Godwars.

A few major events occurred during the 2nd Age.

• The World Gate was sealed shut, references to this imply it might mean Guthix's Portal of Life as well as Seren's World Gate; this cut Elves off from their supply of crystal seeds found only in their original plane (see Elves).
  • Tumeken has his dream which created the collective of demi-gods known as the "Desert Pantheon" (see Desert Pantheon); shortly after this Icthlarin broke away from his father and brought his own race, the Mahjarrat, to Gielinor from Frenskae (see Mahjarrat) in order to defend their kingdom from Zaros.
  • The brutality of the Mahjarrat warped Amascut's mind turning her into the Goddess of Destruction we see today. Seeking power the Mahjaratt abandoned the Desert Pantheon to join Zaros.
  • The Mahjarrat General Zamorak betrayed Zaros and using the Staff of Armadyl (Ghostly Robes mini-quest) and The Stone of Jas (While Guthix Sleeps) managed to stab Zaros, causing Zaros to fade from Gielinor and unknowingly transferring power into himself.
  • 'Other Gods' banished Zamorak for his crime, which God's are not specified but it is assumed Armadyl, as the 2nd largest God at this time, was involved and likely Saradomin as Saradominists' gained much of the Zarosian territories.
  • After Zaros' demise many of the Mahjarrat were chased into hiding or imprisoned; along with the rest of his followers, it is unclear what happened to the Zarosians cities at this time. It is possible they were purposefully dismantled though the survival of Ghorrock may suggest otherwise.
  • The construction of the Duel Arena and Slayer Tower occurred during this time. Speculation suggests they were constructed as a prison (tower) and torture/execution arena (Duel Arena) possibly built to deal with Zarosian followers or the tower may have been Lord Drakan's stronghold though nothing beyond their construction being within this age are definite.
  • During the later parts of this age wars were fought over the now highly rare rune stones (Shattered Heart), as a good stock of these allowed dominance over neighbouring races/settlments.

The Second Age ended with Zamorak's return, in his absence he had transformed from a mortal into a God. It is unclear exactly what happened next, but it is assumed Zamorak either tried to gain territory and followers by force or began enacting revenge on the Gods who had banished him, as his return prompted the start of the God Wars.

1.13 - The Third Age

The third age of Gielinor lasted for 4000 years and is complete defined by the Godwars, though many key events occurred during the wars.

Firstly there is strong suggestions that many of the Zarosian cities were destroyed in conquest by Zamorak and his followers, which could of been the event to incite the war; the early stages of the war also saw the fall of the Hallowland (Southern Morytania) in which Lord Drakan invaded with an army of vampyres, werewolves and other magic-infused creatures. This battle was ended with Hallowvale's surrender as Drakan kidnapped their king; though the barrows brothers did later lead Saradomin forces in a bid to free Hallowvale, Sliske's cursed armours brought them an early demise and saw the campaign fail.

The warring also attracted Bandos to Gielinor, bringing with him Orges, Goblins, Ourgs, Orks and many other powerful fighting humanoid races, it is believed giants and trolls may also of been included in these races. Some speculation suggests Bandos may of entered Gielinor in the 2nd Age as Gu'Tanoth dates back to the second age; however nothing is known of Bandos prior to the Godwars and there is suggestions he led his races to conquer the Feldip Hills area during the wars. As the war progresses it most gods either left the world or joined forced with Saradomin or Zamorak who became the two prevailing gods; Armadyl is known to of left the world after his Avainsies were destroyed or frozen. Towards the end of the third age the city of Senntisten (Digsite) was destroyed and replaced by the Saradominist city of Saranthium, the wars expanded south into the Kharidian Desert as resources became scarce and saw much of the area destroyed, as well as unseating the Desert Pantheon as the ruling gods of the area. The war finally ended when Guthix awoke from his slumber and forced a ceasefire banishing all gods from direct influence in the world; based on the impression at Fist of Guthix and the patterning on the Stone of Jas, along with its Guthixian guardians, suggest Guthix forced the cease fire by through the power of the stone.

The aftermath of the God Wars had many lasting effects on the world and a few other unrelated events, in addition to those above:

• All mahjaratt, Zarosian followers and cities were destroyed, abandoned, imprisoned or in hiding with the notable exception of Bilrach, Hazeel and Khazard
  • The Dragonkin created dragons to defend themselves
  • Many 'delicate' races were made extinct including a Myriad Civilisation in the Lumbridge area of which only the light creatures survived, Wyrms (including White Dragons), Wyverns (though re-animated skeletons remain) and Ourgs.
  • Count Draynor took over the Draynor village and surrounding areas
  • Dwarves sealed themselves underground
  • Gnomes fled underground
  • Mother Mallum made her first attempt to gain power and was defeated by the Temple Knights
  • Hazeel conquered Ardougne
  • Dagannoths emerged causing great loses to the Fremennik people
  • The Orge colonies of Feldip Hills were established
  • Dragon metal found in Freneskae and forged by Dragonkin began to emerge
  • A lot of magically knowledge was lost, particularly battle magic (Ancient spellbook)
  • Contact to an underwater city was lost
  • The devastation of the war is believed to of weaken many walls between worlds allowing access to many alternate realms such as Zanaris, Puro-Puro, The Gorak Plane, The Killerwatt plane etc.

1.14 - The Fourth Age

This age lasted only 2000 years and is know as the age of mortals. In the devastating aftermath of the Godwars only Saranthium, the refugees from Hallowvale in Mort'ton region and some Kharidian cities survived, the rest of the world was populated by barbaric tribes formed from civilisations collapse.

This age was characterised by turmoil and small wars while the modern kingdoms began to emerge, the races to survive the Godwars were the sturdy races but most had abandoned high culture and civilisation and became war-like species to survive.

Vampyres/Morytania

Their domination in Hallowvale remained strong with the area being renamed Sanguinesti as they polluted the land with decay and ruin, reaching as far north as Morytania. In time they began to launch attacks on the Misthalin region resulting in the destruction of Saranthium. As the tribes of Misthalin came together to form a rough nation Avarrocka sent the seven priestly warriors out to drive Drakan's forces back allowing Paterdomus to be built and the River Salve blessed to entrap Zamorakian creatures. This blessing greatly weakened vampyres outside the region, such as Count Draynor and Morytania became a myth. Towards the end of the age travellers crossed the river, despite warnings, to found Canafis and Port Phasmatys which later fell to Drakan's rule; though much freer than the southern colonies.

Dwarves

During this age the dwarves founded underground cities. Normal dwarves shunned the surface world and magic remaining hidden and losing most magical abilities, the Imcando dwarves however re-emerged and retained their magic only to be slaughter to near extinction by barbarians. Only two Imcando dwarves are known to survive to modern day. Normal dwarves rapidly advanced technologically due to their lack of magic and eventually resurfaced at the end of the fourth age; though they remain a mainly underground species

Elves

During the early years of this age the elves crossed the Arandar mountains, lead by King Baxtorian to resettle much of the Kandarin region and ruled one of the largest and most peaceful settlements teaching many humans to live peacefully. Some time around the middle of the age the Iorwerth clan rebelled against the others and took control of Prifddinas and forcing the other 7 tribes into the Isfadar forests and sealing the Arandar pass. When King Baxtorian discovered this betrayal he ordered all elves to return to Tirannwn to fight for it.

new civlisation. magic. 2000 years. human comes out on top

5th age

year 169 of the 5th age.

human domination.

To do:

Elves

Penguins

Pirates

Desert Pantheon

Monkeys

Mahjratt

Vampyres

Temple Knights

Sea Slugs

Fairys

Dwarves

Dragonkin

Gnomes

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Written out the segment on the first age fully now. So any feedback on format/writing style would be good now before I forge on.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Need to think up some images or colours or something to break these first few segments up!

The later bits are easy just the early ages have a lot of text.

Will be adding hide tags in once I've got sections finished.

Also got the 2nd Age info up now.

Will be glad to get into the more interesting stuff eg all the story lines that are more in-depth and mostly fill out 5th age.

But I think this guide to be complete needs to fill out the back story as well and cover a few bits like unplaced Lore. And pieces of lore/history that are not counted usually and why.

Oh and if anyone reading this spots something they can give an exact citation for that'd be great.

I know most of what I've written up has good citations floating about in-game; just a matter of pinpointing where they are, so I can more clearly note what is definite fact, what is implied fact and what is logical speculation.

This project shall teach me to keep notes in better orders lol, I got a good 8 years or so of notepad files of rs lore facts strewn about that I'm having to sift through combined with other sources to double check to jigsaw this bk into a coherent order.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Just a few typos I picked up.

First Para:

During 'Meeting History' Laura informs us the world was created by the Elder Gods in a time before Guthix could remember; she also reveals Guthix is the only god know to them.

Second Para:

The Portal of Life is was possibly sealed shut at some point prior to the Second Age, therefore most races are assumed to have entered Gielinor by the end of the First Age,

Second Para:

The human's in quest refer to these as Earth and the Sun,

Looking good so far. Would be nice if there was a way to link between parts where you say to refer to x race.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

While the first eras (by their way of influencing runescape) are difficult to explain in a non-timeline based manner,

I really hope(d) that for the more "modern" eras you could/can use a "subject based" approach instead of "time based". - A subject based would make it more easy to follow, and read up.. Making the guide much more friendly and coherent.

Subjects could be:

elves,

gnomes,

dwarves

etc etc.

Remember that in this kind of "lore" relative time (was it before or after that event) to each other is the only thing which is important.

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Thats wat I am doing; Hence the big to do list divided by race/grouping

Plan is in the historical overview 5th age will give a very brief bulletpointer of events as all the 5th age stuff will be covered by the subsections

And why current written parts have "see elves" etc in brackets to cross reference where tht piece of info comes up again/is fully explained.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

I would expect sy to do as you said and separate it more into categories than time when he gets to the modern things, but the older ages and base lore have less information so separating into groups wouldn't help much.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Will try n keep chipping away at this but uni workload picks up now so might be sloooow.

Got 2 weeks til a big assignment piece is in and like 3 weeks til exams (and like 30 books to revise fml)

Plv6Dz6.jpg

I remember reading a big research on the Dragonkin on this forum. I'll try to look it up, as it might proof usefull.

Edit: Found it. Here's a link:

http://forum.tip.it/topic/208619-dragonkin-after-the-rise-of-lucien/page__p__3165537__hl__dragonkin__fromsearch__1#entry3165537

count_civie.png

Level 99's

[hide]Mining level 99 achieved November 2010

Smithing level 99 achieved February 2011

Fishing level 99 achieved April 2011

Cooking level 99 achieved May 2011[/hide]

Goals

[hide]count_civie.png

count_civie.png[/hide]

Drops:

Miscellanious: 1x Draconic Visage , 5x Focus Sight, 3x Abbysal Whip

Offering Effigy Assistance in Herblore, Crafting. Contact me ingame by pm.

11.jpg

I would help you but as you have 8 years worth of notes on the lore, I think everything conceivable will already be covered, it's just a matter of writing it. How many files of notes do you have exactly or is it all in the one?

zqXeV.jpg

I dunno they arent very well organised.

I just have had a habit of opening notepad jotting down new lore as i do quests etc then saving it into what seems like a logical folder at the same; probably into triple figures of notepad files. None really well written, using weird short hands etc.

But TBH my memory for rs, especially the lore, is really good so its not too much effort to piece it together just a matter of flicking thru rs site, fansites and my notes to iron out a few ordering details and pin down the citations.

Like I'm fairly sure its a book in the myreque base there that details Hallowvale and possibly a post bag letter too; possibly a reference to the kingdom it was in being "Hallowland" but I'm not certain enough without checking that one.

If anyone wnats to help on that one feel free since I'm too busy to trek for it atm.

Others I could do with being tracked down are:

Gu'Tanoth in the 2nd age - the orges mention this or the watchtower people; possibly a book in one of their quests. (I'm thinking it was a dialogue/book during the skorge/zorge quest, but I think the guy outside the zorge ppl can re-tell it psot quest.

Druids/Seers as nomads - fairly sure one of the npcs in seers/taverly tells you this, or implies it by mentioning when seers/taverly were founded.

Ape Atol - Think its the king who mentions how old their colony is.

Duel Arena & Slayer Tower build dates - fairly sure this comes from slayer masters/canafis npc and one of the golems/books at Mage trianing arena (mentions it being built in third age and duel arena alreayd having been there)

Don't really need pictures of anything jsut need to know who/what says it so that readers can chase it down if they so wish.

Think I'm gonna end up numbering things and do a citation section that covers most citations.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Just a few typos I picked up.

First Para:

During 'Meeting History' Laura informs us the world was created by the Elder Gods in a time before Guthix could remember; she also reveals Guthix is the only god know to them.

Second Para:

The Portal of Life is was possibly sealed shut at some point prior to the Second Age, therefore most races are assumed to have entered Gielinor by the end of the First Age,

Second Para:

The human's in quest refer to these as Earth and the Sun,

Looking good so far. Would be nice if there was a way to link between parts where you say to refer to x race.

And that apostrophe :P But altogether looking very nice. I'm never usually one for lore, never been too interested, but this looks quite the contrary :)

1979.png

Mymagerules.png

Dragon Riding Cult Leader?

• 2 weeks later...

Just a note to say still haven't forgotten this!

Trying to pull together the 3rd and 4th age notes in my breaks from uni work (when I'm not just plain playing rs or w/e to chill).

Might be a week or two more before I get any more posted thou!

Plv6Dz6.jpg

• 3 months later...

Wow major delay!

Life got hectic!

But the third age overview is finally up! Aim to get the 4th and fifth age up this week as well, then gonna get to work on the individual stories/races.

Also think it may be worth throwing some maps into the age overviews to show roughly where kingdoms/dominions lie

Plv6Dz6.jpg