Guide to picking the most efficient training technique

pitabread189

Hello everyone,

In this guide, I will not be providing any techniques for training, but rather a way to compare the efficiency of different training techniques. The following formula can be used to compare two methods of training a skill.

To compare two methods, A and B:

[(gp per xp of A) - (gp per xp of B)] / {[1 / (xp per hour of A)] - [1 / (xp per hour of B)]}

This is how much more gp per hour it will be to train using method A rather than method B. If you value your time to be greater than this gp per hour, then it is better to use method A. Otherwise, it is better to use method B.

[spoiler=Deriving the formula]

gp per xp

This is how much gp you will earn to get 1 xp. A positive number means you earn and a negative number means you spend.

(gp per xp) = [(finished item price) - (raw material price)] / (xp per item)

[spoiler=Training methods that fail sometimes, such as burning while cooking, or smelting iron:]

(gp per xp) = {[(finished item price) - (raw material price)] / (xp per item) * [1 - (failure rate)]} - [(raw material price) * (failure rate)]

The failure rate will the percentage that the item fails, represented in decimal form. For example, at level 15, you will not receive an iron bar while smelting 50% of the time, so failure rate = 0.50 will be used in the calculation.

xp per hour

This is how much xp you will get in 1 hour.

(xp per hour) = (# of items completed in an hour) * (xp per item)

Comparing two methods

Let M be the xp you want in a skill. We do not have to substitute the actual value for M in because it will cancel out later.

You will spend [M / (xp per hour)] hours training, and earn [(gp per xp) * M] gp.

To compare two methods, A and B:

([(gp per xp) * M] of A) - ([(gp per xp) * M] of B) / ([M / (xp per hour)] of A) - ([M / (xp per hour)] of B)

= {[(gp per xp of A) - (gp per xp of B)] * M} / ({[1 / (xp per hour of A)] - [1 / (xp per hour of B)]} *M)

= [(gp per xp of A) - (gp per xp of B)] / {[1 / (xp per hour of A)] - [1 / (xp per hour of B)]}

This is how much more gp per hour it will to train using method A rather than method B. If you value your time to be greater than this gp per hour, then it is better to use method A. Otherwise, it is better to use method B.

Thanks for reading, and good luck and have fun with your training,

Pitabread189

I've towed this to the appropriate subforum.

-Necromagus, Tip.IT Mod.

This is alright. Don't get me wrong, it isn't bad, but Runewiki has up to date Calculators that show this exact formula in action for every item of every skill.

I believe those calculators give gp/xp and xp/hr of items but do not compare them in terms of how much gp/hr it is costing to use one training method over another.

If it is there, I'm just not looking in the right place, so could you provide a link please :)

A little different, but I think this is what people have been talking about: http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Efficiency

Oh, I guess it is.