199 members have voted

1. 1. How should we deal with the large amount of bot threads in General Discussion?

• Have one general thread for discussing bot-related issues.
    • Create a subforum of General Discussion for discussing bots.
    • Don't change anything; it's fine how it is.
    • Other (please post).

Many people have complained about the huge amount of bot-related threads in the General Discussion forum. We'd like your opinions on how to handle this! Please vote in the above poll and feel free to post any additional comments here!

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fine as it is. Not enough activity for a subforum but putting it all in one sticky makes it too hard to get to/is too much.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

One thread, but NOT a sticky. Stickies tend to go unnoticed whereas a normal thread can be more dynamic. And lord knows it'll be the most popular thread in GD by far.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

Freedom of discussion should remain. 1 or 2 big threads are better than a bunch of small ones or none at all.

Runescape player since 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

Freedom of discussion should remain. 1 or 2 big threads are better than a bunch of small ones or none at all.

i agree with this guy

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

One or two smaller threads. :thumbup:

I definitely don't think it warrants its own subforum.

I disagree with Obt in regards to stickying the topic; I'm not saying this particular bot thread should be stickied/not stickied, but stickies don't always go unnoticed. Just look at the RS Screenies thread: 3,239 pages, 64,765 Replies and 3,091,060 Views.

glut.gif
2tchvHp.png

Imo, make a sticky. They really all say the same thing, imo, and whenever there is something new that comes up, it almost always builds upon previous discussion. Having multiple small threads scattered about GD just means that the conversation is more limited, harder to follow, and more confusing, not to mention more difficult to keep track of all the threads. I understand that GD isn't BOMBARDED with the threads, but needless to say there are quite a number of them and I feel it is a topic that is better suited for a sticky.

On the topic of whether to sticky it or not, I think it would HAVE to be a sticky, otherwise you are more or less inviting other threads to be created at some point.

Sticky means that when you remove another bot topic, you can tell people: "Look it's even stickied! Why did you post another!".

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

I still think a single sticky is a bad idea. It's different from the pictures thread where there's only one central focus.

When you talk about bots, there are so many different topics, such as: Morality of botting, legality of botting, types of botting, adverse effects of botting, etc etc. If you try to condense all of that into one thread my feeling is that it'll be a massive mess and a pain in the ass for people who want to post on it.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

I still think a single sticky is a bad idea. It's different from the pictures thread where there's only one central focus.

When you talk about bots, there are so many different topics, such as: Morality of botting, legality of botting, types of botting, adverse effects of botting, etc etc. If you try to condense all of that into one thread my feeling is that it'll be a massive mess and a pain in the ass for people who want to post on it.

This.

The subject of botting can be discussed from numerous angles.

It's fine as it is, there are many bot threads because bots are a big issue. However, it would be nice if the threads were moderated to stay on their specific topic. 7 different bot threads on the first page is okay, 7 bot threads basically saying the same thing isn't.

Castle of Zoltar

Ban anyone who creates a bot thread.

(not srs)

(kinda srs)

"The chief duty of the government is to keep the peace and stand out of the sunshine of the people." - James A. Garfield

"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labeled a radical 60 years ago, a liberal 30 years ago and a racist today." -Thomas Sowell

"Profits are evidence of the creation of social value, not deductions from the sum of the common good." - Kevin D. Williamson

TrueBeaversafe.gif

I kinda really don't care about bots, but I think we should still have the right to discuss them.

That's not what this is about. I don't think anyone was suggesting that we shouldn't be allowed to discuss them. This is about how there are 5-7 topics on the first page of GD all talking about bots. It gets a little old when you browse GD and "bots ruin this!" or "bots don't change this as much as you think!" every day, reposted over and over again. Personally, I think a subforum would be nice, but it probably wouldn't get enough topics seeing as how most of the bot topics that pop up are usually just reposts from a few weeks before hand. I'd say merge it all into one or two topics, and if more start popping up, lock them and refer them to the topics that are active.

99 HP, Attack, Strength, Defence, Summoning, Ranged, Herblore, Prayer, Agility, Magic, Slayer, Fletching, Fishing, Woodcutting, Mining, and Thieving.

Jagex'd out of my untrimmed hp cape on 6/14/2011.

I think just one general topic about bots, pinned or not, would do just fine. I mean, the basic conversation about bots is generally the same; So there's no need for an entire sub-forum in my opinion.

user1-dark.png 

Huge_Noob.png

One thread not stickied. Doesn't have to be stickied for it to be noticed. If it remains a popular topic (which I assume it will) then it will remain constantly on the front page.

A reflection is just a distorted reality held by glass and your mind.

optimizedbrokenmirrorpn.jpg

One or two main threads, not stickied. As someone said in the FU&S thread (I think it was Killerred) main topics of discussion go through phases, not so long ago there were merchanting threads everywhere, not it's bot threads.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

u can control my tip it account, but youll never control how fine i am!

This is by FAR my favorite song:

I love N_odie and would never edit his posts! I love Rainy_Day too <3 And also Cowman_133. <33 Oh, and Laikrob is a going to hunt me down and kill me like a pest kangaroo if I reveal how awesome she is. I owe tripsis skittles. DarkDude feels like he's missing out. This is my siggy! - n_odie Rainy_Day MINE! - n_odie Rainy_Day And meol shouldn't feel left out. Oh, and Y_Guy is a noob awesome

A couple non-stickied threads discussing botting is kinda good. But if possible, split it into different categories:

1) rants/grievances/updates about negative effect to player/economy/market e.g. crowded frost dragons

2) bot killing/countering

3) positive?! impact of bots

The different threads we have now are all discussing different things though, if you merge that into one thread it's just going to be a mess. I think it should just be left as it is.

Either option 1 or 4. 4 being disallow any discussion about bots and botting on these forums(as i feel it only makes matters worse).

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

Personally I see no reason for a change. People post things to be discussed, that's the point. Everything a user brings up deserves to be discussed in its own area; it shouldn't have to be thrown in with everything it may be "Related" to. If someone wants to discuss sometjhing specific regarding bots, they should have the freedom to do so. I fail to see why people are so ignorant and go into these threads just to say "Not another botting thread...!" if they don't like it, they don't have to read it! Who the hell cares if there are too many, those threads are created by users who feel that it requires discussion.

If a thread's posted, which is bot-related but essentially has nothing to discuss, that should be treated the same as all threads with nothing to discuss. Perhaps even get moved to Questionnaires. I find it unfair to throw every single thread together into the one, and force users to discuss things that way. That will most likely end up in content not being read and most likely only invite the trolls in. :thumbdown:

RIP Michaelangelopolous