Dungeoneering: Tile Flipping puzzle

bballkid77

Ya so I am definetly new to the forums here, but I do use TipIt all the time. Anyways so I got tired of having to force flip tiles in the tile flipping puzzle room so I sat down and worked out the math for solving any puzzle in the least number of moves as possible. I wrote a Java applet that can solve any puzzle and give the shortest solution. Below are some images showing the applet. I was just wandering if this is something anyone else would like to use. I would gladly give TipIt this applet to use. I am not too sure if this is in the right topic on the forums so I apologize if it isn't.

If anyone wants to know the details of how the puzzles are solved (or how I know there is no shorter solution possible) feel free to ask.

Oh ya if I am breaking any rules in this post it's due to ignorance.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/11/sampleekc.png/

Is there a guide for a strategic approach to this?

Usually if I occur these in the DG - I try to make as many of one tile as possible then force flip the others.

Should I actually learn how to solve these?

As correctly solving these isn't always fastest, it's best to flip a few times until you have 2-4 squares left and then brute force.

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

I wasn't asking for help on how to solve it (I get the impression from the replies that my first post wasn't well understood). I was just posting that I have a program that can give you the quickest solution. Also my program is better than those ones out there because they only solve all "lights off" where as in dungeoneering you can have all white or all green. Plus my program also looks like what your trying to solve.

All you have to do is take 2 seconds to input your puzzle and it instantly gives you the quickest solution. You don't have to randomly flip tiles and then forceflip if you use it.

let's teach you a little algorithm analysis. First off, what can you tell from 5x5 lights out?

Their are 25 squares.

the 9 inner squares all change 5 tiles.

the 12 outer non-corner squares all change 4 tiles.

the 4 corner squares all change 3 tiles.

The worst case scenario is 15 moves to solve a puzzle.

You should be able to solve any puzzle without clicking the same square twice.

Hope that helps.

w4M8t.png

There are actually 7 combinations that you can memorize that will let you solve any puzzle.

Push all the tiles to one side, you might be able to solve it in the process, if so, great!

If you didn't, look at what is left in the row, match it to the first column in the table below:

..*** 	...+.
.*.*.  	.+..+
.**.* 	+....
*...*  	...++
*.**. 	....+
**.**	..+..
***.. 	.+...

Starting at the opposite side from the tiles that are left, click the + in the second column, and work your way back across, at which point it should be solved.

This doesn't always result in the fewest possible moves, but if you aren't quick with setting up a solver it may be faster.

Riqualyn.png

What's the point in the algorithm analysis?

You can realize it takes 15 steps or less but how long is it going to think of the solution?

You can just move 3-4 tiles then force imbue a couple.

Saves a bunch of time and lots of headache.

Pretty sure - that nobody is going to waste a bunch of hours figuring how to solve them all

(it's not really that interesting of a topic)

Was hoping there was a quick 5-6 step approach that would solve the puzzle :(

Apparently not.

capt%20kevin.png

What's the point in the algorithm analysis?

You can realize it takes 15 steps or less but how long is it going to think of the solution?

You can just move 3-4 tiles then force imbue a couple.

Saves a bunch of time and lots of headache.

Pretty sure - that nobody is going to waste a bunch of hours figuring how to solve them all

(it's not really that interesting of a topic)

Was hoping there was a quick 5-6 step approach that would solve the puzzle :(

Apparently not.

When you take the ability to force imbue into account, you never need to imbue more than 2 if you work across until there are only tiles left in one row, you can get it to 1 or 2 tiles remaining in a move or two.

..***   Flip Center, Imbue 1 tile
.*.*.   Imbue both
.**.*   Imbue all three, or ..++. flip the top left, imbue remaining 2
*...*   Imbue both, or  .+++. click center of 4 remaining, imbue remaining 1
*.**.   Imbue all three, or .++.. flip the top left, imbue remaining 2
**.**   Flip .+.+. imbue remaining 2
***..   Flip Center, imbue 1 tile.

Riqualyn.png