Tip.It Times - 5th June 2011

Racheya

Time for a new release of the: >>>Tip.It Times!<<<

I'd like to remind people of the rules pertaining to Times threads:

[hide=Read these rules before posting in this thread]

Rampant flame wars have taken control of virtually every week's times discussion topics. The following guidelines must be followed when posting on this topic. Posts that ignore these guidelines will be removed.

1. You are invited and welcome to express like or dislike on articles and a particular author's writing style. It is not acceptable, however, to flame or personally insult an author. Posts that aren't anything but an attack will be removed from the topic.

2. Spelling and grammar errors can be reported to Racheya by PMing her and they will be fixed promptly. It is not necessary to post them on the discussion topic.

3. Off topic posts that do not discuss the content of that week's articles will be removed. This is not the place to discuss the direction of the times, how much you love or hate the times, etc. Off topic posts will be removed.

By keeping within these guidelines, Times discussion topics will mean more for the Panel and Administration than just a place for flame wars. Flame wars do not provide any useful feedback to the Times, which is mainly what we're aiming for with these topics: feedback.

This policy is effective as of now, November 17, 2010. Any posts prior to the creation of this policy may or may not be removed according to the new guidelines.

[/hide]

When replying please make sure to clarify the article you are replying to! Thanks!

If you spot any typos or mistakes in the article then please PM them to me :)

Enjoy the articles!

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Wow, three articles. Looking forward to reading them, well done and having so many this week.

Firstly, love the RSC pictures.

Okay, for Left-Clicking for Fun and Profit, I largely agree. Actually it should be a toggle option to right click all monsters. There is no evidence however that it was ever an anti-botting measure. As far as I know it was just a noob protection method dating back to the beginning of the game.

For the Melee bias article, you rail against the combat formula. However what you see as a disadvantage is really just a myopic view of combat. Many players in fact use what you've described to their advantage when creating pvp accounts.

Comparing a dragon scimitar to broad bolts isn't really fair either. Broad bolts have poor dps. If you used something more efficient like even rune darts you would have far better dps. Don't take your failure to invest in good ammo and use it to say the triangle is imbalanced.

Rather then talk about how melee has higher hits, it would be fairer to talk about how melee is cheaper for players in a certain category.

As for your high level comparison, keep in mind that a person with 99 range, 99 defense, 99 constitution and rigor would never got toe to toe with a maxed melee character. The ranger would be able to hold their own versus a melee account their level. Add on top of that that the range tank could have 99 magic and hybrid without gaining combat levels and all of the sudden they become deadly in PvP.

PM me in game anytime

It's a lot easier then that for an idiot to sound smart on the internet.

That's exactly what you're doing right now... just saying.

2 articles about melee dominance seems odd though

If you're talking about why both articles had the same article in it, that was a hitch during the release today. I went and did a Jagex today, the release has been rather buggy :P

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

2 articles about melee dominance seems odd though

If you're talking about why both articles had the same article in it, that was a hitch during the release today. I went and did a Jagex today, the release has been rather buggy :P

Ok, I just re-read the third article. Makes a lot more sense now. tongue.gif

I'd almost given up on my Did You Know? appearing in the Tip.it Times. Found that out while gearing up for updating the chaos elemental guide back a month or two ago, just in case anyone wanted some context.

cwsiggyfinal.jpg

Sig by me, in MS paint, but I'm still working on it.

Suggestions appreciated

This guide is as concise as a gourmet's handbook with the guidelines of "Pick up fork, stab food, insert into your mouth, then chew".

I'm absolutely loving the Forever Runescape series. <3: Well done, Kamykazee. I can't wait for part 3.

...there will be a part 3, right?

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

I also love the Forever Runescape series. Great read.

All 3 articles this week, were entertaining.

I do favor the left click on ALLl monsters. The reasonning, at first, was understandable, but the game, and the people have

evolved. Unless Jagex still want to protect new players, the left click should be available for all, or at least an option.

And could they please put d bones on top, when picking up drops, instead of steel or iron bars :)

(And sure hope it's the 2nd of nth article in the Forever Runescape, really enjoy that series)

Andre the Giant (Gentle Giant)

I'm absolutely loving the Forever Runescape series. <3: Well done, Kamykazee. I can't wait for part 3.

...there will be a part 3, right?

The release of a new part will always depend on wheter the previous was received positively or not. There would obviously be no point in releasing part 3 if part 2 was viewed with dismay. Seeing current reactions i think it is safe to say the next one will be released, however i'd like to state that i will take on a somewhat different topic before part 3, simply to break up the routine and monotony of the series. I say 'somewhat different' because it still relates to classic, but it will be released under a distinct name, different style and will be about....well you'll see. For that i am afraid there is little hope that it will come next week, as i want to take time to make sure it sounds exactly how i want it to.

After part 3, i'll see if and how i want to further develop the subject, though i can guarantee it won't reach Part Nth. That's just because i hate repetitive titles; it will probably be named something else.

Thank you for reading :)

Final1.jpg

Forever RuneScape: <3 seeing those oll-timer pictures. And that LINE at Oziach's house... oh-my-god...

Left-clicking for Fun and Profit: I agree. Left-clicking wins. In my opinion, all monsters with their own Lair (KQ, KBD, Mole) should be left-clickable, and the monster of your current task should be too. Anti-bot measure: have a super-powered non-aggressive Tribrid-dragon spawn at random times at places bots tend to form groups with the same name as the objects (Yew Tree, Green Dragon, Blue Dragon etc) in that area. Would be fun seeing a bot getting 1-hitted to death.

Does RuneScape have a pro-Melee bias? Yes, I think it has (though it has gotten better over the years). For a good equalization, the writer of the article might better have used the optimal equipment at certain Milestone levels (1, 50, 99) to see the progress.

count_civie.png

Level 99's

[hide]Mining level 99 achieved November 2010

Smithing level 99 achieved February 2011

Fishing level 99 achieved April 2011

Cooking level 99 achieved May 2011[/hide]

Goals

[hide]count_civie.png

count_civie.png[/hide]

Drops:

Miscellanious: 1x Draconic Visage , 5x Focus Sight, 3x Abbysal Whip

Offering Effigy Assistance in Herblore, Crafting. Contact me ingame by pm.

11.jpg

Excellent first article. ^_^

Agreed. I absolutely love to venture back into the past. I had overlooked the first article and reading it almost knocked me out by all the nostalgia.

Keep the articles coming! :)

sig3j.jpg

If you have a goal, go for it :D Work hard, be proud and be yourself ;)

Another very well written article on classic runescape. You do a great job of reviewing the past without just regurgitating the commonly known stuff. Brings back happy memories of wasting my adolescence, haha

Oh my god, your signature nostalgia'd me so hard :(

MUTANT MOUNT@@@@@@

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Another very well written article on classic runescape. You do a great job of reviewing the past without just regurgitating the commonly known stuff. Brings back happy memories of wasting my adolescence, haha

Oh my god, your signature nostalgia'd me so hard :(

MUTANT MOUNT@@@@@@

Haha glad you liked it! I wish i still had more screenshots from those games.

26226725.jpg

Left clicking business:

Why just monsters? Why not have all the stuff you can click have customizable interfaces? For instance: pouches... or more important: letting me turn off that make-x/all rubbish? Everything should be customized so that if you want to right click, you right click. If you want to be able to left click, you can say so! Options are good.

So, yes, I agree that they should change the left clicking.

Also: That history is fascinating. Good compilation or early 2001 stuff...

I've thoroughly enjoyed reading the historical articles. In addition, the left-clicking article was pretty interesting, a random and unique article [those are my favorites]. Of course RS is pro-melee. Article was still good.

KAMYKAZEE <3!!!! Great second article! I wish i remembered where I was when that line was formed for Oziach. That looked hilarious! I do remember Karamja big time as I was hugely into fishing back then. It was my top skill as it is now (though been too lazy to 99 it yet). The pier there was the central location for leveling up fishing then everyone would run back to Draynor ro make certificates for sale in the Draynor shopping area. Raw fish certs were 2k each and cooked 1k each. SO many people wanted raw fish to cook right in Draynor for their cooking levels and to eventually enter the Cooking Guild.

When did the three color combat system change from red, white, yellow to red, yellow, green?

tifsiggy.jpg

Good stuff writers and editors. I enjoyed them.

I've particularly been enjoying the forever articles, keep it up. :)

A reflection is just a distorted reality held by glass and your mind.

optimizedbrokenmirrorpn.jpg

Very nice article and glad i could help. I remember when I fought the dragon wearing mostly steal items and there were people training on the lessors laughing at me saying i didnt stand a chance (this was before you could see other peoples combat levels) highest players were around combat lvl 80. I had a combat of lvl of 64 at the time and i defeated the dragon with out much trouble, then stood around and told off the people the didnt think i could do it lol fun times.

Regarding the melee bias topic.

Not to be a troll but the examples given are very poorly thought out. You failed to note some very key points:

Godsword is hell of a lot slower than ranged. This more than unbalances it's so called advantage.

Dragon scim is about as accurate as steel crossbow.

the damage isnt the only factor.

I'm not doubting that melee is biased, but it's not for the reasons you give. The reason is weapons like the whip which combine speed and accuracy with a heft damage, the lack of recurring costs, and the melee armour. Plate armour protects from 2 styles: melee and ranged, and very well. In comparison ranged armour gives only moderate protection from mage and not much else, and mage armour is only moderate against mage attacks and very poor at anything else. A meleer praying against mage is quite a tanked opponent, there isnt the same risk.

Sure melee has the hardest hitting weapons but they are extremely slow. Ranged has the fastest weapons but they are extremely weak. Mage has weapons with complex secondary effects but has neither speed nor raw power...but the real unhinger is melee has something others dont have: weapons that are very fast, reliably accurate and very powerful in combination. Not the fastest or strongest, but the mix of the three is what has made the whip (and more recently rapier) the staple weapons of moderate to high level players for years, never ranged or mage.

We talk about mage and ranged having an advantage because they can attack from a distance. but unless we are talking about hitting fally from varrock, that means very little.

For what it's worth, you have given me an idea for a suggestion. I'll think about it today at work and this evening probably post it on the RSOF. if you do care about this topic you'll probably find it an interesting idea

Edit: Done. If you agree that melee is biased there is a suggestion that may help improve things on [qfc]185-186-110-62880600[/qfc]. Whether Jagex actually pays attention is a different matter, but I've had suggestions accepted before: it's down to getting the attention of a Jmod :P

Edited by Tritous

Creater of QuestRanker

"I hate it when my target's die laughing, makes me think my fly is open or something"

-Me

Wow, I figured here was as good a place as any. I fell off the face of the earth, and I am sorry about that, I made good friends with some of you.

I really loved the two runescape forever articles, I have grown immune to nostalgia in a way, I didn't start playing runescape until the RS2 version, just barely. I was on the cusp and I would even catch myself years later calling it runescape 2 or runescape 2 beta. I really love to learn the lore of a game I love, and am glad to see all these new screenshots. I learned more than I once knew and thank all involved in the article. I miss those fun old days as a kid, but here is what I thought as I read.

Nostalgic, though it may seem, we aren't looking at the past, we are watching the past blindly, and boldy walk up to us, to a point when we can meet those feelings again and turn again to the future again walk gingerly into the unknown with more heart and experience. It may be a game, just a game, but we love it don't we, and its not just for the gameplay, oh no, its for each other, for the meeting new people, and enjoying someone else's creation, their game, their child(in a sense). Though we may lose our friends, we have the memories of the time we had, the fun we shared, the contributions we made, and that is what creates nostalgia, because we know we did good, otherwise it would be regret. To Runescape, my friends both in the flesh, and those online I once played with, and lost, and to the tip.it team, past present and future, a humble thank you for the joy of all we have done.

On a lighter note I really liked the left click article, there takes a sharp mind to think of subtleties, its thinking like that, that will lead you into videogame design.

Thanks to Racheya, you really rock for what you do, and being so faithful to it.

I will get myself in order, and leave you guys a more lengthy return thread elsewhere ;)

XBL: Zwolf wolf

When Runescape Gives you lemons, Alch them!

screen-capture-2-1-1-1.png?t=1279351491

Sorry Brand, I was a man in the first place, sorry to disappoint you. :\

I like the Forever Runescape again, keep up the good work.

As for the melee bias: duh. Everyone knows there has always been a premium on melee combat from the moment RS was made and the Dragon Slayer Quest was born (see Forever Runescape). The fun for some may come from magic or range, but the majority of players like their battles fought up close and personal. The fact that rangers and mages still gripe about it makes them look like people wanting handouts from the First Government of Runescape for the "disadvantaged" situation they have been put in. They forget that they chose it.

To say that Jagex needs to make the "triangle" more equal is absurd. It may continue to require tweaking in terms of armour/weapons, but as far as the actual calculations are concerned, its fine. To paraphrase Kid Cudi: You fools think acute, while the triangle is obtuse.

wessan.png