The Fireplace

Jehosaphat

Question, Archie. Why would anyone choose the Secretary?

FaladorTavern.png

Youtube account: Earthgragonsage; currently uploading not an effing thing.

[hide=Memorable Crossroads Quotes.]

Reigan: NO MOOSE CAN SAVE US NOW; ...Had that been taken out of context, it would have been comical... Right now, it's terrifying.

[/hide]

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question, Archie. Why would anyone choose the Secretary?

Because Secretary is by far the most powerful position above or on par with the Guildmaster to a talented player. (not being Sarcastic)

Luna_pirate_signature.png

Thanks to DrCue at DeviantArt for the signature source

Because power over the paperwork that gets things done around the Guild makes it far mroe powerful than most think?

FaladorTavern.png

Reigan: NO MOOSE CAN SAVE US NOW; ...Had that been taken out of context, it would have been comical... Right now, it's terrifying.

[/hide]

Because power over the paperwork that gets things done around the Guild makes it far mroe powerful than most think?

Well, the Secretary is the core manager of the guild, as all orders from the other positions end up going across the Secretary's desk, along with any indirect information on the situation, so the Secretary has the ability to modify any indirect orders given by the other positions and is able to control what information gets to them in order to decide what orders to give. So as a whole the Secretary has the ability to directly manipulate every single aspect of the guild that is not being micromanaged directly by a powerful position, and is able to manipulate the other people in powerful positions. Additionally the Secretary can fairly easily embezzle large amounts of funds from the guild.

Luna_pirate_signature.png

Thanks to DrCue at DeviantArt for the signature source

Yeah, but that'd make me feel like a douche when I took over Secretary. I'd just want to figure out ways to invest and prosper, increase group efficiency and equipment, production and rescource, and hagggle like a bastard, Thats always fun.

FaladorTavern.png

[/hide]

Editted in both games. Will move Mechanists of Aiur once enrollment is finished.

"Don't get in my face, don't invade my space. I'll put you in your place.

I'll only tell you once, I'll never tell you twice. This is me being nice." ~Porcelain and the Tramps

Lqt9R.png

I kinda just made a thread for it already. Izzat okay?

FaladorTavern.png

[/hide]

I kinda just made a thread for it already. Izzat okay?

That's perfectly ok. You only skipped the draft step. I'll just be bumping if people create threads instead of use this for their draft versions. (That way people will have one easy thread to access and I'll make sure to bump it after every new addition)

There's no law that says you HAVE to use this thread if you don't want to. It's just something for any newcomers or members of the Tavern to see and look around at what's going on. :) (or for current members to create their games if they aren't ready to enroll just yet)

I'll only tell you once, I'll never tell you twice. This is me being nice." ~Porcelain and the Tramps

Lqt9R.png

Throw me a bone, Stork. Is it just a medival game or what?

FaladorTavern.png

[/hide]

Throw me a bone, Stork. Is it just a medival game or what?

I edited in the mechanics and stuff to the first post I had made about it, sorry. It's modern fantasy with magic having only been recently discovered. So there's a bunch of amateur scientists/magicians who have absolutely no fricking idea what they're doing, government folks trying to get their soldiers to learn magic for war purposes, and all sorts of crazy stuff like that.

a70c7.png

And what would like suggestions for?

FaladorTavern.png

[/hide]

Stork, I only have one suggesstion, it's with the enchant system. If someone gets a low roll for their enchantment, that pretty much forces them to hunt down an equally powerful weapon in order to try and achieve a better enchantment rating. I'd suggest maybe making the enchantments just take certain materials (or a scroll or something simple, but rare) so that players can re-enchant.

Lqt9R.png

I think it's ready to roll, but maybe make the Enchantment system like... Cleansible, with considerable expense.

FaladorTavern.png

[/hide]

Stork, I only have one suggesstion, it's with the enchant system. If someone gets a low roll for their enchantment, that pretty much forces them to hunt down an equally powerful weapon in order to try and achieve a better enchantment rating. I'd suggest maybe making the enchantments just take certain materials (or a scroll or something simple, but rare) so that players can re-enchant.

Hmm.... okay. I can work with that.

a70c7.png

Am considering re-making another dungeoneering game, but this time, instead of use my own system I may look into the systems Grim seems to recommend all the time, as I always make a bad system so a premade one may be better.

The setting is like it was before, set in medieval esque fantasy where magic is taboo but practiced in certain area and the story will revolve around the tensions between magic users and non magic users.

I will look into a system to use currently.

I will not allow anyone to start off with magic, instead you get magic power through items that you will recieve throughout the adventures (whether you choose to destroy or keep them)

I will run this in IRC.

I am not sure when to schedule this.

I believe like one of my previous stories this pretty much takes place after a schism took place where people split off into pro magic and anti magic, a large crusaude was taken against the magic users who were mostly wiped out and the few that left have seemingly left the planet, but lately more magic users seem to be turning up, all with similar agendas. That is, to recover the old relics the mages used during the wars to cause great havoc.

(Yeah it's a little generic, I will hopefully flesh it out and develop it as you guys go along)

It's a REALLY big shaft.

I didn't catch fire, I used the can of hairspray as a flamethrower and pointed it at my arm.

how are you going to ignore my posts when I'm offering to let you live as my vassal in two weeks time?

Hmm. Only one person signed up for Mechanists.. Is time the only issue for people?

Also, ICU, Original does not always mean better,

FaladorTavern.png

[/hide]

GUIZE

I GOT AUTOBANNED FROM #TAVERN BECAUSE I SPAMMED STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK STORK WHEN NO ONE ELSE WAS THERE AND I WAS TRYING TO GET HIS ATTENTION

HOW DO I REJOIN?!

10:53 PM - retech9691: I feel the need
10:53 PM - retech9691: To include many chasms in my story arc
10:53 PM - Resistance: You mean plotholes?

Remember, Remember, the 4th of November

RIP Dawngate ;-;

I know but it's fun! :(

I'll do that.

10:53 PM - retech9691: I feel the need
10:53 PM - retech9691: To include many chasms in my story arc
10:53 PM - Resistance: You mean plotholes?

Remember, Remember, the 4th of November

RIP Dawngate ;-;

With Dungeoneering games it is kinda better to start off with no clear ideas on how the world is set up.

Anywho, random idea for a Hegemony addon:

Revolutions/Elections.

Basically:

For a Democracy, every 2-8(decided by whoever is controlling the country) years/turns there is an election. If you score 10+modifers or less then you stay in power, if you score more than 10+mods then you lose control of your country.

For a Dictatorship/Other, every 10 years you have a chance of dying, which may lead to a revolution. If you score 15+modifers or less then you stay alive, if you score more than 10+mods you die and then make the 'Democracy' check to see if you stay in power, or lose control. (This isn't neccessarily an election, so you can be widely hated if your Dictatorship is Hereditary or you are the pawn of Big Bussiness so they replace you with someone similar.)

Each check age check a Dictatorship makes has decreases the score you can get and still remain alive. So your second check is at -1, third is at -2, ect, so you are more likely to die the older you get.

If you lose control of your country then you name is added to a list for that year and you may select any country(except your own) on the list, or NPC, to take control of. If you take control of an NPC then you can either stick with the New Country or for your old country to lose control again.

If another player takes control of your country, and divides it up, or changes the election scheme then this prompts an immediate check for each action, if you win you can retake control of your country immediately. If they declare war, or make other smaller changes, then you have to live with the consequences.

People can obviously do things to make themselves more popular before they come up against checks. For instance giving away money. But it should be stressed that these circumstance bonuses should never amount to more than 5, and unless there are justifed reasons there should be penalities as well (For instance, Russia suddenly surrendering Siberia to China isn't going to go down well with the Russian people so would be at -5)

The player who normally controls the country doesn't have to make these checks, obviously, though, for Democracies, they may get a penalty at the election.

If no one takes control of your country it just carries on, growing at whatever the mod feels is normal.

Mods are obviously decided ad hoc or defined at the start of a game. For instance if you have Secret Police then you are more likely to stay in power for longer. If your country is in the middle of a revolution, or just absorbed two new countries and gave them voting rights so they weren't annoyed with you, then you a less likely to stay in power. Similarly, if you are in a Dictatorship based on the Army supporting you and you have cut defence spending and agreed to the Hague Convention against the Armies advice, they are less likely to support you.

Plotting coups and whatnot also can occur. If the coup is basically 'Shoot the leader and assume control' then the check happens with appropriate mods(Probably fairly low odds of succeeding unless the people really hate their leader, or you are especially cunning). If the coup is an Armed Uprising then the uprising must first succeed, then make a check with the mods (Higher chance of success if you have killed all the alternatives and such).

Why have this? Well, because it makes the game more interesting. Rather than playing with 'unlimited time', you have a much more focused gameplay strategy. It also means games are not so easy to "win" and the game ends, mirroring the ebb and flow of history....You can win a war and redraw the map without killing the game.

Well I knew you wouldn't agree. I know how you hate facing facts.

@Archi, your game idea has been added.

@Everyone, new Drafts in Storage section added.

Drafts in Storage has just recently been added into the list of categories. This is for games that are making no progress in the Draft stage. Any posts which do not show any progress after one month will be moved here so that Tavern members and newcomers know what to look forward to and not get confused between what is being worked on and what isn't.

Thought I'd add that as I got to thinking there are going to be a lot of ideas being posted, so hopefully this should help in the future. (it's a pointless section at the moment, but it might prove useful later)

Lqt9R.png

Well, it makes sense to move any 'Games in Draft' to 'Drafts in Storage' if they haven't attracted any attention.

For instantance, I have no intention of running a Hegemony game currently, but I have no problem with someone using the system.

Well I knew you wouldn't agree. I know how you hate facing facts.

New game that could possibly be cool to play:

A mixture between dungeoneering and hegemony in a sense.

I'm thinking for simplicity just two sides, the GM (And possibly others) against a team of players. The team of players are 'heroes' who are all commanders of an army, you all start off equal to eachother but you are free to designate someone as the head, you also do not necessarily have to split the forces up.

Anywho, you build your heroes up, give them story, give them stats (I'll go for the simple Wc3, strength/agility/intelligence. Anywho, you play through fighting the GM who is the commander of the other army, the hegemony comes into it where you are both two countries at war and the more you win the more resources you get and such until the opposing team has pretty much either no way to win and concedes or is fully conquered.

Anywho, battles will be scheduled depending on the outcome of the last battle and your decision. So let's say the GM loses and chooses to pushback and regroup, the GM then fights the next battle for the same piece of territory, with the same army (albeit a bit damaged) and with other modifiers. Or the player side has a huge defeat and is unable to regroup and thus their choice becomes limited to basicallly only being able to retreat. On the otherhand, the victorious army can choose whether to annex the area, dig-in, retreat back, and so on.

I am thinking running this in maptools, and making it similar to fire emblem in a sense. (So it wont be like 1000v1000) and perhaps a battle every weekend, seems like a good choice.

I guess if the game ends quickly, like one side loses all the battles in a row and cedes, then we can vote in a new GM.

TL:DR

A fire-emblem esque game that takes into account hegemony and dungeoneering.

Oh yeah and death mechanic:

If you die you're knocked out of the game, until the next rounds start. It will be a CK and you will unable to be able to make a hero similar to them (I will make exceptions). This is another win condition, if one side loses all its heroes then they auto cede. Works both ways.

It's a REALLY big shaft.

I didn't catch fire, I used the can of hairspray as a flamethrower and pointed it at my arm.

how are you going to ignore my posts when I'm offering to let you live as my vassal in two weeks time?