22-Nov-2011 - RuneScape Revolution v3 & Anti-Gold Farming Measures V2

Carl

This is rather disappointing. I just had the biggest motivation to play for a long time. I was having nice goals and I was near to achieving them. Now they ruin everything once again...

Honestly the website looks like the bought some freewebs layout for 5 bucks. I want to play, but I cannot stand the new icons. They look like 9001 hours in paint. The RSC icons are better than those.

I guess I will be hanging at RSC again until something happens.

Amonitas.png

Quest cape since 11th July 99 Farming 4th February 99 Cooking 31st August

People logging in again after break to be on highscore or something would be my first guess.

No it would be 20k new members, if the HS is displaying properly.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

People logging in again after break to be on highscore or something would be my first guess.

I wouldn't bet on that honestly :P

Give it fourteen days, until all the accounts that had membership before the update are removed and then we'll see.

About the topic of RWT companies using P2P bots because they're more efficient: You have to consider the fact that the gathering account may be banned for botting. If a free account is banned, you only lose the resources he's gathered, so you're back to zero. If a P2P account is banned, you lose the resources and the membership money, so you're in the negative. Especially with far fewer bots running(which hopefully should mean bots getting banned faster too) I think this is pretty relevant.

I dislike a lot of the updates done to F2P, but I think this is a genuinely good one. It doesn't hurt F2Pers and reduces RWT.

Anyone else notice how the S in RuneScape is now a dollar sign? :V

Rune$cape

That is an astute observation. :lol:

When I first saw the logo, I was immediately reminded of Star Treks Terran Empire. And the more I think about it, the better it fits.

terranempire1.png

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

Fyi there are many people that flip rs gold. They buy it on a fresh f2p mule (using vpn, proxies etc), then sell the same gold to someone else for a slightly higher price and never use that account anymore. Requiring them to get p2p makes a dent in their profit. And of course, it's pretty pointless to bot resources in f2p now.

Oh for sure. I won't deny that for some groups of the RWT populace that it would make a dent in their profit. Although, somewhere in the supply line, there's a primary supplier (or suppliers) that grind for the gold and sell to others. Being P2P alleviates that grind because of the larger money making opportunities. Then the flippers come in :P Though, the guys that have large amounts of real cash can afford to lose a few dollars on membership while still profiting considerably (depending how their business is structured. They might sell from solely a main account, or a main and several mules, who they buy from, and so forth). That's who I was talking about when I argued my point, but I see the counter has some validity. But for the trade limit's role as a deterrent, that's easily bypassed depending on how you market the gold and what skills you have. Some people flip gold with no loss, others flip at a small loss. If you have enough skill to generate substantial amounts of cash on your own though, well, that's pure profit.

Not really any evidence of ulterior motives or incompetence. I said in another thread that there's a tendency on this site to look at Jagex as some kind of Disney villain caricature and then respond to every update with that in mind. This essentially says "Jagex may have ulterior motives because they're greedy, but it won't work because they're stupid and dumb. Ha!"

In fact, I argued the reasons for incompetence in light of the fact they wished to avoid negatively affecting players using evidence. The fact that they wanted to achieve a particular effect, and failed as a result of appealing to the immediate needs of the player base is shown through the fact that they left gift-giving untouched. Gift-giving = anyone can use this as a ruse to real world trade. Not hard to see, right? Can you see why they're incompetent? They wanted to curb RWT, and this major source of RWT still remains.

They failed in this respect, no matter how successful their other efforts in the same instance were. I'll concede to you, thanks to Bruno, that some RWTers are actually affected to some degree by this update. But the effects are not as far reaching as some would like to hope, for a large portion of RWT remains, no? Further, any effects this has on gold-flippers can be lessened, if not completely bypassed, provided they're willing to take a little risk by buying a membership.

It was never my position that Jagex had malicious ulterior motives to justify the way you're mocking the portrayal of Jagex by some members here. The ulterior motives can be neutral, or they can even be beneficial, although that's unlikely. Perhaps I came off as demonizing them because of the context surrounding the world "ulterior". If so, I apologize for not clarifying.

You're right, Jagex needs to man up and make the game unplayable to stop RWT! Then you and the 6 other people who still play can sit there and go until the servers shut down.

Impose these restrictions on high level players? This would be terrible for high level gameplay, but you've already stated "[bleep] the game, we have to get these RWTers no matter what!". The difference here is that Jagex wants to, you know, survive as a company so they imposed restrictions on F2P new accounts rather than on established customers.

I never stated it was imperative for Jagex to stall RWT efforts no matter the cost. In truth, I wouldn't care very much what the effects their actions had on the populace or the game itself. I've long since lost interest in this game. What I was critical of, and the reason why I posted here, was to show that the implementation of this isn't as well-thought out as some people think it to be.

Makes no difference about incoming trade. They can put that gold on a F2P mule and never see it again until they get membership. And when they get membership, Jagex gets money. And like you said "Why would Jagex decrease their own profits?" and I assume the answer you'd like to see here is "because they're retarded, oh yeah and they're evil". Jagex isn't going to decrease their own profits, and I'm fairly sure that they put far more time, effort, and research into this decision than you did criticing it.

I'm aware that you have to pay membership to remove the restrictions. My entire premise was that this has no effect despite the fact you pay membership. The point is that this doesn't curb the profits of the sellers by any significant amount. If you have 5 mules and you pay $8 to remove the restrictions on each of them, that's a $40 expense you'll pay in exchange for a large profit selling the gold housed on those accounts. This is common sense through simple observation.

Yes, it'll have an effect, no doubt, this requirement. But how large is the effect that it can be considered a deterrent?

I argued that it isn't really a deterrent because players will buy members either way for a larger profit margin. Hence, it's closer to a tax, not a barrier to entry.

My position does not require further research. The fact that Jagex gets money for what's essentially allowing RWT to continue is what confounds me, hence why I called this plan not a barrier to entry, but closer to a tax on cheating. Jagex is taxing cheaters to play the game when, in my opinion, they should focus on devising methods they know cheaters can't rebuff against. All this is doing, is in my opinion, very slowly bleeding the RWTers dry.

To at least make this plan effective, why not mass ban accounts more frequently? Then these people will be forced to buy membership more frequently and hence it'll more deeply cut into their profits, no? :P

You're correct, fewer remaining gold-traders means others will be forced to create new accounts (and pay membership) to continue the practice. But some traders have so much capital that I think this dilutes the effect it could have. I think it's an inefficient solution, in my opinion, because I think Jagex is trying to bleed RWTers slowly rather than swiftly deal with the main source of the problem.

I've heard (from some black market forum, one player's personal experience, and corroborations from other members) that Jagex wiped a few major gold-sellers in the middle of highly-unbalanced trades. I applaud them for that! But is this tactic we're talking about the best they can do? I think they can do better. At the very least, provide incentives for gold-sellers to buy membership more frequently. Preferably at a pace where their expenses are higher compared to their income. But is that possible without negatively affecting legitimate players? Where do we find a comfortable balance where we can effectively deal with cheaters while keeping the population happy? I think Jagex tried to do this, but fumbled on some points.

Oh yeah, speaking of research: why do you make claims about the status of RWT without citing anything and then attempting to act condescending to anyone who doesn't understand the unfounded claim you just made? Am I supposed to assume it's common knowledge? Well personally, I believe it's a widely established trend that RWT is decreasing. It's common knowledge. You didn't know that? Me neither, because I'm just assuming something to support my argument.

Like I said, my positions here aren't meant to be based on much research. If I were making a greater claim, I research it, I assure you.This isn't to say I'm purposely making unfounded claims. Rather, I assume my assertions are valid to some degree because the premises that construct my argument are empirically verifiable. In other words, I base my assertions on what I assume to be common sense. I understand how it could be taken the other way though. I apologize if it seemed I was pulling facts out of my ass. :P

Of course they have membership costs included in their budget, but eliminating the usefulness of free accounts means that membership costs would essentially become their budget. They wouldn't be able to operate in the free game with these restrictions, so their costs go up. Do you think they have some kind of vendetta against Runescape and Jagex, or do you think they will move on to a free or more popular game where they could make more money? Jagex is trying to remove the incentives to RWT in game without giving their game a shotgun blast to the face like they did by removing free trade.

I'm not suggesting that they remove their free-to-play effectiveness, no. I agree with what you say here. I don't deny that free-to-play macros are useful to RWT companies in generating a healthy gold supply. The reason I focused more on P2P gold-farming is because I assume most would agree (for what I think are evident reasons) that P2P gold-farming is more profitable than F2P gold-farming due to greater access to resources, and generally higher prices on members-only resources there (sharks, monkfish, rocktail, and so forth). As these companies are businesses, after all, profit is the bottom line for them. What ensures the most profit? P2P. This is how I reached my conclusion. Again, I think this conclusion can be reached by simple observations and thus carries some validity. I apologize if it seems I'm pulling facts out of nowhere. :P

I really, really tend to doubt that most RWT companies primarily utilize P2P accounts. F2P resource gathering is decent money and requires less attention and startup effort on the part of the RWTer. Get 40ish fishing, go get lobsters. 60 Woodcutting, go get Yews. The exception is probably dragon bones but the odds of being killed at Green Dragons are probably greater than dying at a fishing spot or a Yew tree. Almost every other source is packed with slayers and mid-level money makers and when every spot at in Taverly Dungeon may be occupied, you will always be able to cut down a Yew tree without considerable world hopping.

That's true about resources. On top of that, transactions to P2P customers can occur on F2P worlds. I'll give you that. Perhaps I was wrong to assume P2P was more efficient due to more expensive resources :mellow: I mean, maybe I shouldn't have assumed so readily. But the gold-farmers in Taverly Dungeon, the wilderness and elsewhere do generate hefty amounts of profit, no? I think the more expensive P2P resources gathered offset the quantity of the lower-level resources gathered in F2P.

F2P gold gathering is reliable and is relatively simple to set up and maintain (although more difficult with botting now gone). It's also, well, free. No company gives up free money. With bots gone, P2P tasks such as the Sq'uirk garden (probably spelled that wrong) become less attractive. Boss hunting as a method of moneymaking is too luck based and has a much steeper learning curve for a company that wants to crank out money. You can teach a guy to fish lobsters in all of 5 minutes, but boss hunting requires more equipment, more knowledge, and more experience. There will likely be early failures, and even then the millions aren't as guaranteed. Losses are possible, which are highly unlikely with F2P moneymaking.

True. I think I interpreted 'efficiency' too narrowly in this context then. I concede that my conclusion may likely be wrong. I still think, though, that their budgets can absorb the membership costs, provided accounts aren't banned quickly enough. If you're right, however, I'd like to think Jagex is slowly bleeding out the RWT companies this way via what I term a "tax".

Illegally using other people's credit cards is a way that RWT companies have paid for membership in the past, but as previously mentioned this would drastically increase costs. They would have to steal more credit cards and attract more attention to themselves as a company, allowing Jagex to pursue them more effectively through legal means. The selling of in game cash probably can't be pursued but there's little doubt that credit card fraud is. Let them steal more credit cards - it'll get them more attention and bring them down faster.

Well, if we're talking about increasing costs, perhaps not directly. Firstly, there's no immediate cost to the user of the credit card. Secondly, If I remember, Jagex had to pay charge-back fees on behalf of the users who had their credit cards stolen. I agree that legal action is possible. The question is, what sort of legal action will be taken? Jagex has taken action against RWT companies before -- but not in the way you think. They got to change their domain name. This temporarily stalled their operations, but they quickly resumed after.

You don't really have any examples of the F2P-P2P makeup of RWT companies or any evidence that Jagex hasn't taken action against them beyond "I said so" and using the " " emoticon because that means you're even more righter. There are still RWT companies, yes, but that's to be expected: people still want gold. There will always be RWT companies as long as people still want gold and are willing to pay the price. This update inconveniences sellers and leads to higher prices. People buying with their parent's credit cards won't care, but this will price people out of the market especially in combination with the bot nuke. Again, the "DeVry Institute of Facts Pulled Out of Asses" is not a credible backup for any argument. Expecting all RWT companies to be wiped away in a glorious Jagex firestorm is foolish, and you may as well ask Mod MMG to personally go on a Liam Neeson-style rampage and wipe out the RWT companies himself.

My argument was not to prove that Jagex hasn't taken action against these people. My argument was to prove that this particular action isn't as effective as some think it to be. I could be wrong though, I admit. I agree that expecting Jagex to deal with the problem in a swift manner is unrealistic, considering the legal fees, which are certainly beyond even Jagex's income to pursue the several cases they have, and the law surrounding real-world trading is actually complex.

I wouldn't say it's exactly illegal. It's against Jagex rules, but there's facets of it that have to be considered. Breaches of copyright, intellectual property, legal protection of the prosecuting party, and so forth. I really don't know much about the issue beyond that. I recommend you look here though. Links to places in that thread, as well as discussion of the legal aspects to get the juices flowing.

Again, I didn't mean to give off the impression I was making unfounded claims. I thought they were valid to some degree, otherwise I would've clarified how uncertain I was. I apologize for this.

I'd agree that this doesn't affect individual accounts, but there's no real way to do that. Catching 100% of any offender is impossible. What I see in this post is just more of the same "Damn it Jamflax why aren't you bombing the houses of everyone who breaks the rules". They can't catch people without violating internet privacy (which I doubt a games company could justify legally) so they make it more difficult for them to operate. You may not see any consequences, but you probably aren't buying or selling gold. The bot update was pretty effective and the only consequences brought on bot users were legal threats. Why is an update ineffective if it doesn't murder the offenders?

I'm not advocating that extreme measures be taken, no. Certainly they could've implemented the trade limit better, in my opinion. For example. What's the need to bleed RWTers dry? Why not stop incoming transactions to begin with? That way, customers can no longer buy gold. RWT is fueled by demand (the customers). With no way for the customers to collect their ill-gotten gold, demand from them effectively falls, no?

Yes, gift-giving may be affected, but this can be patched. Remember the former friends trade limit? You could give several tens of thousands to your friends provided they'd been on your friend list for at least one month, and depending on your quest points. At the very least, the implementation of a system similar to this would impede customer demand for gold a bit, I think. Plus, once the would-be buyers finally collect their gold, the system picks up the unbalanced trade and punishes the suspected gold buyer. It would need a way to differentiate between RWT and gift-giving though. I have no proposal for this, unfortunately.

I don't object too much to Jagex making money off their current tactic. It's actually clever that some RWTers are buying into it.

Also, pardon me for coming off as arrogant to you. I don't want this debate to be antagonistic towards anyone. I just strongly felt what I said at that moment. The annoyance wasn't directed at you rather than Jagex. I certainty didn't mean to paint them as evil, either. I think that's a silly idea. :P

This has been a long reply for me. It's been fun to debate with you, Stewie. I'll check your reply sometime later. Take care :P

Thanks for clarifying some of what you said. I'm sorry if I came across as annoyed, it's just that some of what you said came across as passive aggressive at the time and it bothered me. Nothing against you, there's just a tendency for people to work around anti-flaming rules by being very passive aggressive. It's been fun discussing this with you too.

One of the more attractive things about this game for me when I joined was the sense of community, and a big part of that was gift giving. The new update is fine for me in that regard because the gifts I got as a new players were small, such as a set of full mith that I got around Christmas as a stranger. For higher level players though, the gifts would be bigger. I remember giving a friend a Dragon Medium Helm and they thought I was a cheapskate (I was. :P). It would be a balancing act to try and disentangle RWT and legitimate gift giving. The return of free trade shows that Jagex, to some extent, values that part of the game over stopping RWT and the wide support for its return shows that the player base supports it as well. It's easier to make tough decisions as an individual, but as a company they have to moderate their goal of stopping RWT with the interests of their customers. Push too hard, and they lose more revenue than they would ever have lost from credit card fees. It's not so much incompetence as caution. Jagex has shown before that they're willing to make an effort to destroy or complicate RWT efforts, but people got upset. In one of your other posts you described this recent approach as somewhat hamfisted but I think that more accurately describes their previous approaches.

Jagex should pick up the pace of bans to encourage RWTers to resubscribe, I agree with you on that. It is more of a tax than a surefire deterrant but I think that was what they were aiming for. From a business perspective, if they can get money from RWTers that match the charge-back fees on stolen credit cards, then their measure has worked. Jagex doesn't make that kind of data publically available but personally I don't think they've reached that point yet. Knowing Jagex they're rolling this out in phases. The bot nuke was the single biggest anti-rulebreaker deterrant that came out all at once. Even the free trade removal was phased. I don't think this is the endgame.

I played around on the Grand Exchange site and looked up some prices of items I figured would be attractive for RWTers to gather en masse. The most attractive P2P item would probably be pure essence. It's quick to mine, decently priced, and only needs 30 mining to gather. Yew logs, on the other hand, are almost four times more expensive. They're slower no doubt, but they're free. This next point is a very small factor, but there's a planned update that involves essenceless Runecrafting experience. When that comes out, essence will probably drop massively in price since alter training is painful. I can't think of an update that would eliminate the usefulness of Yew Logs as a firemaking and fletching tool though. Especially now that bots are gone, I don't see the price of Yew Logs going down soon.

However, all of this only matters if the company uses a quantity over quality approach. A smaller company made up of independent players will slay bosses because with or without RWT they would do it. I remember Cursed You got banned for RWT, and if I remember right he was a staker. He sold some of his winnings for thousands. It would be very difficult to eliminate individuals RWTing. They're probably paying for membership legitimately and because they have no use for a wide system of mules they won't be affected by this update. If they were banned, it would be far more devastating to them and they'd probably be more likely to call it a day instead of train up to maxed stats again. This is an area where stepping up bans would help, but that runs the risk of throwing out the baby with the bathwater. If someone has millions and millions of gold being traded, they're probably involved in the greater RS community. If Jagex bans a guy who got a multimillion dollar gift from a friend who quit, then the community will remember that one mistaken ban over however many RWTers were banned. It's a balancing act.

Truthfully I think that the game won't be killed by RWT. Bots were a leading candidate to do so but the recent nuke only uncovered the greater issue. To me, the free trade removal was the first nail in the coffin. Even now that free trade has returned, those players that left have left. I don't think Runescape's population ever returned to the levels before that update. The parts of the community that remained clammored for high level updates, and they had every reason to. This was a time where the most difficult quest was RFD. So Jagex decided to give high level updates: the Living Rock Caverns, Nex, Overloads, and all sorts of other goodies. They fell into a "give a mouse a cookie dilemma: though. The high level community had the patience to play the game to the point that they did and as a result had some really grand ideas for high level updates. They wanted more. If a lower to mid level update came out, it was dismissed as useless.

This has created a massive disparity between high level and low level players. When I was a wee noob, I saw a guy in F2P smithing with a dragon medium helmet on and thought "WOW THIS GUY IS AWESOME". You see that now and until recently it was a bot. It's only natural that some things devalue over time, but things have changed drastically. If I saw a high level player in F2P now, they would probably have some sort of GWD armor and a skillcape. The definition of high level has changed. It went from "100+" to maxed. I think I'm level 116 or 117 on a P2P server, but that makes me solidly average. I didn't see a lot of low levels in P2P for the most part. Jagex's high level updates, while high in quality, created a topheavy game that will take massive updating to fix. Being a high level player now requires far more time than it did in the past, and the grinding gameplay doesn't help.

This will probably upset several people on this site devoted to the metagame, but Jagex needs to bring in new players. In most other games, the max level is somewhat simple to reach or the leveling system is irrelevent to enjoying the game. Most of the fun new goodies are high level material, but you could get a Xbox 360 and play Call of Duty and get a similar level of enjoyment to someone who has been playing it for months. The old guard doesn't like this concept, and understandably so: they spent a lot of effort getting to get the skills that they did and don't want it to be devalued for the sake of noobs. Halo Reach has a leveling system that probably takes as long as a Runescape account to max out, but it doesn't affect gameplay. Whether I'm a Recruit or a Forerunner, I can still enjoy the same magnitude of face-shooting as everyone else. The high level players can grind for the armor pieces regardless. I realize that Xbox games are not the same genre as Runescape, but in today's times they are going to be an alternative to the game. The only barrier to entry is cost, which becomes cheaper as consoles get cheaper and games gradually lose value with age. The concept of working for the high level content may be of good intent, but it won't bring people to the game.

Jagex, like other game companies, needs to appeal to casual players or else they'll never increase their revenues. I got started playing this game in an 8th grade computer lab, along with most other people I know that played the game. Most of them quit but I pressed on because I knew other people who played too. I remember being a broke noob who was shocked at the thought of paying 1000 coins for the Phoenix Key, wearing Proselyte armor until I could afford full rune, and jumping for joy when I sold everything I owned and went to Barrows and finally topped a million coins. The warspears I got later let me get 70+ construction and prayer, which at the time was useless but became very helpful later on. There was a progression of sorts: you stumble into money and from there you get more. The resources required now to stumble into what is defined as "money" have changed. A competitive monster hunt now needs Overload potions and high summoning levels. How do you get those levels? Money. How do you get that money? Monster hunting or Slayer. The slayer option is unattractive to new casual players though. They want to run around with Dragon Claws, not kill hundreds of monsters over and over again. This was a part of the game I enjoyed, and I know Tip.it loves it too, but creating such high barriers to entry is not attractive to new members and that's just a reality of the game.

In the real world, you have to work to get the best things. You shouldn't get a diploma from MIT for free, or a Mercedes just because you're a decent person. That reasoning holds true, and I see it a lot here. The problem is that this isn't the real world, and that people don't want it to be. People play games to relax. That's why I chuckle a little when I see someone say "you should have to work for your experience!". In a practical sense, you should. From a gameplay perspective, that's a great way to turn off new players. If I would have known how topheavy Runescape would become, I probably wouldn't have played it past the 8th grade. Now it's all about damage per second and experience for hour. Dungeoneering has made this even worse. It's a dream for endgame seekers but a nightmare for regular players. I'm not trying to turn this into an "efficiency vs fun" debate, and I respect both perspectives. Everyone has their own definition of fun. It takes a great deal of effort and dedication to get this game down to a science, and I respect people for that. For a new or casual player though, it removes the fun from the game and turns it into raw math.

That's part of what turned me away. I would look at one of Tip.it's calculators and see the sheer hours that I would need to put into the game in order to enjoy it, and it discouraged me. I'm sure I'll get some "you lack DISCIPLINE!" accusations for saying this, and you'd be right. In terms of how I spend my free time though, I'd like to spend it fully enjoying myself. I have real life things to do that require extensive planning, why would I want that in a game? To a high school student who has AP work due every day and is involves in all sorts of sports and extracurricular activities, how does this game provide them with more fun than Gears or GTA? To a busy college student taking 18 credit hours a semester, why would they invest more of their precious time into a game when there's so many other ways they could blow off steam? Jagex has created an effective high level content system, and there is room for more, but it has turned off casual players. Jagex got a lot of members from Miniclip, probably one of the most casual oriented sites you could possibly advertise on. They haven't gotten new members by catering to their established player base. They've simply maintained, which is not an effective long term strategy.

"Screw the casuals," you might say. That's not a good approach to maintain new membership levels, but let's roll with it. There are better hardcore options than Runescape as well. Jagex went for the hardcore and didn't double down, so they could maintain their low to mid leveled players. As a result, they're attracting neither.

And now I regret making this post. Looking at the massive wall of debate, it's like I'm building a castle here. I enjoy the discussion though, and I'm eager to hear what people have to say.

Oddment1.png

I love the new interfaces, but hate the new website. It's pretty, but not very functional; it seems rather confusing to navigate.

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

Right I have had some time to check out this absurdity now.

First things first - I am rank #7 smith, not #5, fix it. Removal of f2p and inactive is wrong. I wont discuss further as its already been done.

Website as a whole looks fine enough ignoring the fact there is a troll face aswell as a dollar sign... Otherwise its fine enough. (Had some confusion originally finding the 'news' but idk why and seems to be ok now.)

Alog - Doubt I will use theirs anymore. It looks like its been shot to pieces with a shotgun. Used to be compact and convenient. Now its splattered everywhere and unconvenient.

Hs layout - Too ........... Much ............ Space ........... Beteeen ............ Stats .......... =s (Admittedly though I prefer over old version, but too much space!)

Website G.e - Looks pretty good from a glance.

Forum - Looks nice I guess but not been on their much yet. Heard their are problems.

Ingame:

First things first - Wtf@This arrow getting in the way of my pirvate messages?! Fix it please. Its a huge pain, its hard to see what im doing. How did such a design flaw make it into the game??!

The game seems to be loading things better now which is good. Icons I aint that bothered by. No longer click through chat is very good and finally.

Things they might aswell done: May swell had a fancy layout for the top 10 in all individual skills too tbh. Aint that bothered though but dont see why not.

Well, I'm not sure if I like the graphical changes to the high scores or not (I'm still rather appalled that they removed F2P entirely). Takes up a lot of space, and doesn't seem entirely necessary...

The rest of the site will take some getting used to, but it's growing on me. To me, at least, it's a fresh new look that fits a bit better with the whole 'you're a warrior in a Middle-Earth-esque realm, fighting goblins and protecting the land from nefarious evil-doers' theme than any of the old sites ever did. There's definitely some changes they'll need to make, and I agree that it was probably rushed through without as much checking as it should have gotten before being implemented (okay, so it looks like it wasn't beta-d at all), but I'd expect most of that to get fixed within the month if not sooner, and it is kinda cool.

As to the new UI in-game... yeah, I kind of hate some of the new fonts and the new icons, and they do need to go through and make their borders consistent. I don't seem to have any click-through problems or trouble seeing all that I'm supposed to see in resizable mode, though.

Overall, not perfect, but I like it.

Obtained quest cape and base 92 before obtaining any 99s! Currently finishing out my 99s with the (long-distant) goal of comp cape.
Sorator.png
260pifq.jpg

gMIy8.jpg

First things first - Wtf@This arrow getting in the way of my pirvate messages?! Fix it please. Its a huge pain, its hard to see what im doing. How did such a design flaw make it into the game??!

This is the only major error I've seen in this update. I'm not sure why they tried fixing the old arrows, but at least raise the split-off text so it falls above the new arrows.

I don't really

Want to type

My RuneScape

Messages like

This

Yeah given that it only boots off f2pers, not paid members who don't play I'd assume:

People already ranked it can re-order but it couldn't magically add un-ranked accounts into the empty spaces.

Therefore players previously too low to get on the highscores log in and on logging out they are occupying the empty spaces as their hiscore data gets updated.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

It seems I'm one of the few who actually likes the new website/in-game interface. I like the new layout of the Adventurer's log too. I am the 1%....

You are not alone!

I think it's great and I haven't had any of the glitches others seem to have had....maybe I'm lucky? It will take me a little time to get used to it, but it seems to load faster the graphics appear more smooth and generally its appealing, I love how my RS name appears in the A-log font. I enjoyed the old style and didn't have a problem with it, but it was inevitable they would update it and they gave us plenty of warning.

35cq0q9.png

Did anyone else notice that you only need level 15 to get into hiscores now?

Oh, and new adventurer's log sucks (though I like the fact that it has a list of your highest skills now) and I'd like to see all my hiscores without scrolling. And where are the arrows on hiscore compare now, the ones that show which player is better?

I don't really have anything bad to say about new game interface. Nothing good, either, though. The change was completely useless.

This is the only major error I've seen in this update. I'm not sure why they tried fixing the old arrows, but at least raise the split-off text so it falls above the new arrows.

I don't really

Want to type

My RuneScape

Messages like

This

...You don't have to. If there's a word I have a hard time reading, I can click on the "Friends" tab and it displays the messages in the chat box.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

I find that the website is slow if I use firefox because firefox reloads every element at each new page so it takes like 4 seconds for every element to load. If I use opera it's fast because opera just uses the cached backgrounds/elements whatever instead of downloading every time. Probably something wrong with my firefox settings but can't figure it out.

2480+ total

I have a question about the downloadable client.

My question is: why is Jagex offering their 22.5 MB client, when the old 85.5 KB works just as well? There seems to be no difference in performance, at least none that I can find.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

My question is: why is Jagex offering their 22.5 MB client, when the old 85.5 KB works just as well? There seems to be no difference in performance, at least none that I can find.

The client is marginally bigger (no jagex bar on top, no scroll bar on the right hand side etc)

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

I believe the old one used IE as a framework for the client. The new one may be more standalone and rely less on the IE APIs. I also think it was until IE8 that Windows Explorer IE were basically the same thing. I could also be entirely wrong and making this up.

I'm surprised to see the blank tile remain on the interface after the update. Anyone know what is planned for that space?

it becomes active in citadel

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Overall +742k

Defence +1.4m

Selected: Magic +968k

Woodcutting +26k

Fletching +308k

Firemaking +223k

Smithing +635k

Mining +805k

Agility +749k

Thieving +840k

Slayer +594k

Farming +434k

Runecraft +1.1m

Dungeoneering +213k

I really never would have guessed there were this many inactive players. Even in members skills I went up a tonne.

Guest jrhairychest

You must be new here or just ignorant. Where did you get the infromation that F2Pers are not gratefull with what we have? Do you want me to send Jagex a thank you letter with some flowers? Get your facts right! I know and this is a fact, that most serious pure F2Pers are extremely gratefull to Jagex.

Jagex should know that I am always gratefull to them and whatever criticism I express against them has a reason. If it's downright hate or just flaming I still have a reason. Jagex aren't gods that can't do wrongs or be criticised and I will not kiss their ass.

Believe it or not Bini, you're actually the first I've seen to express this - Ever! It's not ignorance, it's never expressed by the F2P community. I've seen a lot of contempt and expectation which is why it gets the rep that it does. Nice to see someone there who actually appreciates things for a change. Well done you :thumbup:

It seems I'm one of the few who actually likes the new website/in-game interface. I like the new layout of the Adventurer's log too. I am the 1%....

You are not alone!

I think it's great and I haven't had any of the glitches others seem to have had....maybe I'm lucky? It will take me a little time to get used to it, but it seems to load faster the graphics appear more smooth and generally its appealing, I love how my RS name appears in the A-log font. I enjoyed the old style and didn't have a problem with it, but it was inevitable they would update it and they gave us plenty of warning.

Agreed. The website's quite nice. Oo wait....Jagex changed something....oooo the horror :D