Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

22-Nov-2011 - RuneScape Revolution v3 & Anti-Gold Farming Measures V2

• Please log in to reply
322 replies to this topic

Sir_Squab
[ Display Name History ]

Sir_Squab

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,835 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Sir Squab

So they basically brought back trade limits but only in f2p. Can we call it a demo yet?

Yeah. I might've missed the demo, but I think as of this update F2P is officially a demo.

Maybe if they gave F2P highscores and some way for new F2P players to lose the trade limit...

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.

The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

Robert_R
[ Display Name History ]

Robert_R

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,025 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Robert R
  • RSN2:Robertr1
My account somehow got "recovered" and the password was changed and now I can't recover it because the log in box on forgot password doesn't work. Awesome.

And how the hell does someone recover my account anyway.

Posted Image

Makoto_the_Phoenix
[ Display Name History ]

Makoto_the_Phoenix

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,944 posts
  • RSN:Makoto D
  • RSN2:X Makoto X

As for being a 'bootlicking Billy'? :blink: I would rather have a positive attitude than get so stressed and be a drama queen over what is basically just a game.

It's a bit of a bittersweet story, though. Many of us have invested lots of time and money into this game and company to see it turn out like...this. No one here in their wildest dreams thought that Jagex would go through with such a controversial change [to the high scores] after hearing tons of feedback against it...but that's what happens.

You have a point. I realize that RS/Jagex isn't worth stressing over. However, that doesn't mean that I won't call them out every time they do something so eye-gouging stupid.

Positives? The only handful of positives with the update may be the leprechaun's limits being relaxed and a "new" forum. Outside of that, there is a staggering amount of negatives.

- Runehead and Runetracker, both of which make use of the high scores, cannot be used effectively anymore, unless clans are strictly P2P.
- Dynamic signatures everywhere cease to operate on a huge chunk of the community.
- Long-standing "pure F2P" players (one of which was acknowledged by MMG himself) can no longer display this amazing accomplishment.

So you may have to forgive the community for a few days if it seems like the attitude is negative.

I think there are some very real and strong positives in the updates, irrespective of highscores, which after all is only one change. Particularly useful is the trading limit for new players of 25k, they can receive as much as they like, but cannot give anyone more than 25k. Well no legitimate new player is going to have 25k to give away, unless its been given to them in which case they will probably want to keep it!

I don't even use a 'dynamic signature' so am totally oblivious as to why that should be an issue.

Long standing "pure F2P" players, what does that mean? They are dedicated to playing the game free for as long as possible? They hold a principle that 'Free' is better? F2P are the P2P resistance force? You can't hold to that then get all wound up when Jagex try to finally get you into membership, as stated previously Jagex haven't left F2P out of graphical updates, F2P have even had new quests and tasks added...a huge concession to a free game in my opinion. And in all this the "pure F2P" players act like new players are not worth consideration, well I can assure you there are plenty of new players coming to RS and loving it!

As for the negativity, its not just a 'few days', its constant! Its like the dripping tap...repetitive and relentless and doesn't serve any real purpose.

Okay, I'll keep it short and sweet.

- Very real and strong positives in the updates: The only one that's worth writing home about is the Leprechauns. Putting trade limits in retroactively, even after Jagex essentially admitted that trade limits didn't work, is very much a step backwards.

- "One" change: You'd be surprised how one change can affect thousands. The highscores and their usage was a very integral part of many fansites, including this one. Just because you didn't make use of it doesn't mean it doesn't affect others.

- Pure F2P players: The reason that these players were celebrated [by Jagex] so much is that they were the one and only counterargument to F2P's obvious lack of content. I mean, what's better than someone that's put in 8,000 or more hours in-game? They can say a lot about their product then - how many hours of content it has, how much it has to offer, and how it's all for free.

You lose that, you can essentially reduce F2P to nothing more than a demo.

Lastly, I don't think you can assure me that new players are coming to the game and loving it, not unless you're privy to some marketing information that the rest of the world isn't.

- Negativity: Instead of focusing just on "I think that Jagex messed ________ up" or "I don't like this update because _________", focus in on the reason. There's not much reason to whine if everyone's getting what they expected. If there is whining, then looking at the reasons instead of just hearing the whine would go a long way to understanding the feedback that Jagex is ignoring getting.
Linux User/Enthusiast | Software Engineer I | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
Posted Image
No Longer Playing RuneScape

Atom Smash40
[ Display Name History ]

Atom Smash40

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,212 posts

BTW, where the hell is the game updates on the main page? I can't find them anywhere.

On the "Community Site" page. The link is part way down the right side.

How stupid.

It took a bit for me to find it as well. I liked it much more when news updates were on the main page.

The news posts are back on the main page.

Weird. They weren't when I made that post. I even loaded the page to double check what the link was called.

This.
Posted Image
~ 3,072nd to 99 Mining on August 30th, 2009 ~
~ 112,084th to 99 Magic on April 16th, 2011 ~

Pocono Raceway - North Course | Pocono Raceway - Long Course | Carolina Motorsports Park | New Jersey Motorsports Park - Lightning | Lime Rock Park | Pocono Raceway - Tri-Oval | New Jersey Motorsports Park - Thunderbolt | Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course

Guest_jrhairychest_
[ Display Name History ]

Guest_jrhairychest_
  • Guests

I think there are some very real and strong positives in the updates, irrespective of highscores, which after all is only one change. Particularly useful is the trading limit for new players of 25k, they can receive as much as they like, but cannot give anyone more than 25k. Well no legitimate new player is going to have 25k to give away, unless its been given to them in which case they will probably want to keep it!

I don't even use a 'dynamic signature' so am totally oblivious as to why that should be an issue.

Long standing "pure F2P" players, what does that mean? They are dedicated to playing the game free for as long as possible? They hold a principle that 'Free' is better? F2P are the P2P resistance force? You can't hold to that then get all wound up when Jagex try to finally get you into membership, as stated previously Jagex haven't left F2P out of graphical updates, F2P have even had new quests and tasks added...a huge concession to a free game in my opinion. And in all this the "pure F2P" players act like new players are not worth consideration, well I can assure you there are plenty of new players coming to RS and loving it!

As for the negativity, its not just a 'few days', its constant! Its like the dripping tap...repetitive and relentless and doesn't serve any real purpose.

Agreed. You ever get the feeling this isn’t about Jagex but about trying to ruin everyone elses enjoyment of the game? Just like the kid who takes his ball back when he can’t get his own way.

One of the reasons why I’m glad the high scores were done was because F2Pers never appreciated what they had. I don’t recall ever reading a single post where a pure F2Per made the point of how they were thankful for getting what they had and it was wrong to keep asking for more. There’s even a sticky for it as it was such a culture with F2P’s expectations (Why can’t P2P have....). When the high score thing was initially announced it put the icing on the cake with the attitude that came with it. I won’t hold my breath on the ‘quitters’. Most will be back or they’ll just pretend to quit. From my point of view, it’s a shame they will be back. I’d rather they just left.

If the negative clan who are still sticking around here really want their tonne pound of flesh then an anti-jagex sticky is what is needed. Perhaps Tipit would be so good as to put a sticky somewhere into the rants forum. They can then discuss all their 'issues'. The likes of Deathnell, Makoto, Crocefisso, Ring world, Sonniku, DV etc would benefit from dealing with their Jagex issues. I'm sure you'll all have a really good time in there discussing how Jagex........................(put own slab of 100% pure beef here and instead of French fries just top it all off with that rather large chip on your shoulder).

Formerly_Deathknell
[ Display Name History ]

Formerly_Deathknell

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 157 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P
  • RSN:Bite Me

Agreed. You ever get the feeling this isn’t about Jagex but about trying to ruin everyone elses enjoyment of the game? Just like the kid who takes his ball back when he can’t get his own way.

One of the reasons why I’m glad the high scores were done was because F2Pers never appreciated what they had. I don’t recall ever reading a single post where a pure F2Per made the point of how they were thankful for getting what they had and it was wrong to keep asking for more. There’s even a sticky for it as it was such a culture with F2P’s expectations (Why can’t P2P have....). When the high score thing was initially announced it put the icing on the cake with the attitude that came with it. I won’t hold my breath on the ‘quitters’. Most will be back or they’ll just pretend to quit. From my point of view, it’s a shame they will be back. I’d rather they just left.

If the negative clan who are still sticking around here really want their tonne pound of flesh then an anti-jagex sticky is what is needed. Perhaps Tipit would be so good as to put a sticky somewhere into the rants forum. They can then discuss all their 'issues'. The likes of Deathnell, Makoto, Crocefisso, Ring world, Sonniku, DV etc would benefit from dealing with their Jagex issues. I'm sure you'll all have a really good time in there discussing how Jagex........................(put own slab of 100% pure beef here and instead of French fries just top it all off with that rather large chip on your shoulder).

You complain about us, but you seem to be the one I always see whining.
Was Deathknell, but the password recovery never worked for me. So I'm this now. Whatever. Someone get me some damn fried chicken!

Gilformen
[ Display Name History ]

Gilformen

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 848 posts
  • RSN:Vilya
  • RSN '07:Vilya
  • Clan:nah

- Leprechauns will now store plant cures, up to 255 buckets, 5 scarecrows, and can deposit magic secateurs automatically if equipped. The Herblore Habitat leprechaun will now also store up to 30 of several kinds of vine.

wow. ive waited ages for them to raise the max number of buckets in storage, and plant cures too, awesome.

Posted Image
32,606th to 99 magic || 15,388th to 99 dungeoneering || 12,647th to 99 farming
14,792nd to 99 range || 24,954th to 99 herblore

Makoto_the_Phoenix
[ Display Name History ]

Makoto_the_Phoenix

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,944 posts

Oh dear...

Let's start with a clearing of a misunderstanding. I am not by any means anti-Jagex. I don't think that any of the posters you've mentioned above are, either. It may be the case that we (and I use that term liberally) have decided to post a large quantity of negative feedback in regards to their latest decision.

Know what that's called? Feedback. Get used to it being mostly negative, as feedback about successful products is rarely glowing with Skittles and rainbows and puppy dogs.

I'll agree that being told how much you suck never helps. Being a software developer myself, hearing that doesn't inspire me to move all ten of my fingers to rectify a situation. Maybe one, but the other nine are hit-or-miss. However, my skin is thick enough that I can take hearing how poorly this module performed, or that someone doesn't like my overall design strategy, or that someone feels I should support such-and-such operating system.

I don't recall making any gesture or suggestion that everyone celebrating Jagex's decisions be put into a separate section of the forum, so I would greatly appreciate it if you rescind that part. I'm merely trying to facilitate discussion by presenting my side of the argument (or, if you see fit, how much I disagree with Jagex's latest move). I'm sorry that you don't like it, but you can always agree to disagree.
Posted Image

Tsukaji
[ Display Name History ]

Tsukaji

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • RSN:Tsukaji
Am I only one or is offical RS wiki not working? It only shows blank page.
Posted Image

quitthegame
[ Display Name History ]

quitthegame

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 300 posts
[quote name='Formerly_Deathknell' timestamp='1321997443' post='5103244'

You complain about us, but you seem to be the one I always see whining.
[/quote]

Tu quoque fallacy.

But I agree with you to a point, best thing for him to do is to wait a few weeks, see if all the "jagex should go burn in hell" posters are still here, or if you'll realize that posting on a RuneScape fansite is a strange thing for someone who ostensibly hates RS to do. Time solves most problems.

Erewhon2
[ Display Name History ]

Erewhon2

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 288 posts
  • RSN:Aquillegia

- Very real and strong positives in the updates: The only one that's worth writing home about is the Leprechauns. Putting trade limits in retroactively, even after Jagex essentially admitted that trade limits didn't work, is very much a step backwards.

- "One" change: You'd be surprised how one change can affect thousands. The highscores and their usage was a very integral part of many fansites, including this one. Just because you didn't make use of it doesn't mean it doesn't affect others.

- Pure F2P players: The reason that these players were celebrated [by Jagex] so much is that they were the one and only counterargument to F2P's obvious lack of content. I mean, what's better than someone that's put in 8,000 or more hours in-game? They can say a lot about their product then - how many hours of content it has, how much it has to offer, and how it's all for free.

Lastly, I don't think you can assure me that new players are coming to the game and loving it, not unless you're privy to some marketing information that the rest of the world isn't.

- Negativity: Instead of focusing just on "I think that Jagex messed ________ up" or "I don't like this update because _________", focus in on the reason. There's not much reason to whine if everyone's getting what they expected. If there is whining, then looking at the reasons instead of just hearing the whine would go a long way to understanding the feedback that Jagex is ignoring getting.

I disagree with your first point, other people earlier on in this thread have clearly stated the positives in the updates, you can go back and see for yourself. The trade limit is only for new players and not comparable to what Jagex did before.

So highscores affect you? If you are "pure F2P" for reasons of challenge and its not about money then become a fee paying F2P community, what's the problem? (I have put that point in another thread). A demo has a time limit, RS hasn't....believe it or not, you can actually play it for as long as you want without any penalties.

As for new players, I don't have stats if thats what you're asking for. I do have mine and others direct experience of being in F2P since the bot busting....yup I do have an F2P account also. F2P is heaving with new and excited players, declaring they are rich because they have 10k (those were the days :rolleyes: ) and queuing up to kill cows and goblins.
Posted Image

quitthegame
[ Display Name History ]

quitthegame

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 300 posts

Oh dear...

Let's start with a clearing of a misunderstanding. I am not by any means anti-Jagex. I don't think that any of the posters you've mentioned above are, either. It may be the case that we (and I use that term liberally) have decided to post a large quantity of negative feedback in regards to their latest decision.

Really, you don't think "~Mr. D. V. "That's it; Jagex blew it; R.I.P. RuneScape & Jagex, 2011-11-21; May they burn in hell." Devnull" qualifies as anti-jagex? If you don't want to be lumped in with that crowd, just because you think Jagex is being "eye-gougingly stupid", then that's ok. But there are multiple people in this thread calling for Jagex to suffer fates worse than mere death. If that doesn't qualify as anti-Jagex, then nothing does.

I don't recall making any gesture or suggestion that everyone celebrating Jagex's decisions be put into a separate section of the forum, so I would greatly appreciate it if you rescind that part. I'm merely trying to facilitate discussion by presenting my side of the argument (or, if you see fit, how much I disagree with Jagex's latest move). I'm sorry that you don't like it, but you can always agree to disagree.

He's only allowed to make suggestions that exactly mirror yours? How does that make sense? How does that jibe with "agree to disagree"? If there were a forum for only people who enjoy Runescape and don't want Jagex to burn in hell, I would prefer it to this one. How is that different from moving people who don't fit into that category into rants, anyway? Isn't that just a semantical difference?

RU_Insane
[ Display Name History ]

RU_Insane

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 754 posts
  • RSN '07:RU Insane
Am I the only one here opposed to the trade restrictions? I think it was very poorly thought out. As I see it, the implementation of this will have absolutely no effect on either mule accounts or gold sellers real-world trading with their mains -- the main source of transactions surrounding ill-gotten gold.

First problem, is that it's very easy to remove these restrictions, and it's a permanent removal at that too. Gold sellers handle real money very often. Who in their right mind would think a RWTer would be stopped simply by the requirement to purchase membership? They do it all the time to keep their business running!

Secondly, the trade restriction only affects outgoing transactions originating from the affected account, not incoming transactions. Many RWTers use mules, whose only use is to store excess gold/items acquired from the main account. Existing gold sellers will be able to transfer excess without any impediment. Whenever they're running out of gold to sell on their main account, they'll just take some from their reserves.

Oh, but don't worry! At least we stopped RWT where it most matters -- the new accounts! :rolleyes:

I'm all for trade restrictions, as long as they're imposed on the appropriate population, and implemented correctly. Now, if you've noticed, this update affects outgoing transactions, implying that Jagex's curbing RWT on the supply side -- the people who sell the gold, hence outgoing.

...what new account has the kind of gold to sell for large profit, besides a mule?

As they handle real money frequently, they'll have enough of it to buy membership and be rid of the restrictions anyway. What's an extra $8.00 to someone who wants to purchase (or sell) $50.00 worth of gold? On top of their shiny new gold, guess what, no more trade restrictions! :rolleyes:

Needless to say, this update targeted the wrong population, and incorrectly at that. Jagex at least could've implemented it to affect incoming transactions -- you know, the way customers actually get the gold. Fail update is fail.

RIP RU_Insane. August 3rd, 2005 - November 11th, 2012.
RU_Insane.png
O4zgH.png
Reform Customer Support
Check Out My Threads UNRoA.gif

Makoto_the_Phoenix
[ Display Name History ]

Makoto_the_Phoenix

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,944 posts

I disagree with your first point, other people earlier on in this thread have clearly stated the positives in the updates, you can go back and see for yourself. The trade limit is only for new players and not comparable to what Jagex did before.

So highscores affect you? If you are "pure F2P" for reasons of challenge and its not about money then become a fee paying F2P community, what's the problem? (I have put that point in another thread). A demo has a time limit, RS hasn't....believe it or not, you can actually play it for as long as you want without any penalties.

As for new players, I don't have stats if thats what you're asking for. I do have mine and others direct experience of being in F2P since the bot busting....yup I do have an F2P account also. F2P is heaving with new and excited players, declaring they are rich because they have 10k (those were the days :rolleyes: ) and queuing up to kill cows and goblins.

It's a working opinion of mine, but that would be the only positive I agree with. Removing bots from high scores is a plus, but the cost at which it had to be implemented was unnecessary, in my opinion. Again, implementing the trade limit, despite it not being on the same scope (or in the same realm of effectiveness) as what was done before, doesn't mean that the past lessons won't apply.

I was never "pure" F2P to begin with. There were certainly others that were. I'm only calling to attention the alienation of both the "pure F2P" community, and the up-and-coming F2P community. The rest of your argument is a bit of a non-sequitur, so forgive if I don't reply to that...

Lastly, I enjoy giving people the benefit of the doubt, but actions within the community itself and Jagex's own active-online numbers [in F2P] do not convince me enough that your statements are based in fact, but merely conjecture. If you want to convince me, you'll have to give me some concrete information. You don't have to, though - we can let that point just...go.

[EDIT]

Oh dear...

Really, you don't think "~Mr. D. V. "That's it; Jagex blew it; R.I.P. RuneScape & Jagex, 2011-11-21; May they burn in hell." Devnull" qualifies as anti-jagex? If you don't want to be lumped in with that crowd, just because you think Jagex is being "eye-gougingly stupid", then that's ok. But there are multiple people in this thread calling for Jagex to suffer fates worse than mere death. If that doesn't qualify as anti-Jagex, then nothing does.

*shrug* So DV can defend his own actions better than I can. As for lumping me in - whether you want to or not doesn't really bother me, I just wish that I could give feedback in a way that didn't label me as either a Jagex apologist or anti-Jagex.

He's only allowed to make suggestions that exactly mirror yours? How does that make sense? How does that jibe with "agree to disagree"? If there were a forum for only people who enjoy Runescape and don't want Jagex to burn in hell, I would prefer it to this one. How is that different from moving people who don't fit into that category into rants, anyway? Isn't that just a semantical difference?

I'm merely defending myself here. In debates, I like to hear both sides of the table, and not immediately say, "Let's cordone people off that don't agree with such-and-such view to this side of the Internet!" I just felt like I was personally attacked there, that's all. Don't read too deep into it, I'm really not looking for a fight here.

Edited by Makoto_the_Phoenix, 22 November 2011 - 10:16 PM.

Posted Image

Erewhon2
[ Display Name History ]

Erewhon2

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 288 posts
  • RSN:Aquillegia

Am I the only one here opposed to the trade restrictions? I think it was very poorly thought out. As I see it, the implementation of this will have absolutely no effect on either mule accounts or gold sellers real-world trading with their mains -- the main source of this.

First problem, is that it's very easy to remove these restrictions, and it's a permanent removal at that too. Gold sellers handle real money very often. Who in their right mind would think a RWTer would be stopped simply by the requirement to purchase membership? They do it all the time to keep their business running!

Secondly, the trade restriction only affects outgoing transactions originating from the affected account, not incoming transactions. Many RWTers use mules, whose only use is to store excess gold/items acquired from the main account. Existing gold sellers will be able to transfer excess without any impediment. Whenever they're running out of gold to sell on their main account, they'll just take some from their reserves.

Oh, but don't worry! At least we stopped RWT where it most matters -- the new accounts! :rolleyes:

I'm all for trade restrictions, as long as they're imposed on the appropriate population, and implemented correctly. New accounts are the least likely to pay for gold -- by the fact they just started the game. They'll likely play legitimately unless pushed enough to play otherwise thanks to the intolerable grind. By the time they feel compelled to RWT, they'll have enough real money to buy membership and be rid of the restrictions anyway. What's an extra $8.00 to someone who wants to purchase $50.00 worth of gold? On top of their shiny new gold, guess what, no more trade restrictions! :rolleyes:

Needless to say, this update targeted the wrong population, and incorrectly at that. Jagex at least could've implemented it to affect incoming transactions -- you know, the way customers actually get the gold. Fail update is fail.

I think the point is that Jagex have suggested they have got rid of gold sellers main and mule accounts, therefore they will have to start again and will be unable to farm gold with the new ones because of the restrictions, if thats the case that is a moot point.

Most people have seen this as a positive update for that reason.
Posted Image

miracleman58
[ Display Name History ]

miracleman58

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,199 posts
  • RSN:The Diamond
I dont think I would reccommened Runescape to anyone anymore.

1593th to 99 Farming - July 08.

Bini
[ Display Name History ]

Bini

Clan Official

• Clan Official
  • 561 posts
  • RSN:Eminem777
  • Clan:TFS

You must be new here or just ignorant. Where did you get the infromation that F2Pers are not gratefull with what we have? Do you want me to send Jagex a thank you letter with some flowers? Get your facts right! I know and this is a fact, that most serious pure F2Pers are extremely gratefull to Jagex.

Jagex should know that I am always gratefull to them and whatever criticism I express against them has a reason. If it's downright hate or just flaming I still have a reason. Jagex aren't gods that can't do wrongs or be criticised and I will not kiss their ass.
Posted Image

Kaida23
[ Display Name History ]

Kaida23

Editorial Panel Member

• Members
  • 4,428 posts
  • RSN:Kaida23
  • Clan:Total F2P Skillers

You must be new here or just ignorant. Where did you get the infromation that F2Pers are not gratefull with what we have? Do you want me to send Jagex a thank you letter with some flowers? Get your facts right! I know and this is a fact, that most serious pure F2Pers are extremely gratefull to Jagex.

Jagex should know that I am always gratefull to them and whatever criticism I express against them has a reason. If it's downright hate or just flaming I still have a reason. Jagex aren't gods that can't do wrongs or be criticised and I will not kiss their ass.

This. :thumbup:

I'm sure most of the F2P community would agree.

Posted Image
Check out my blog to read the Adventures of a Big Damn (F2P) Hero.

Posted Image Posted Image

THE places for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

Stewie_Griffen
[ Display Name History ]

Stewie_Griffen

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 394 posts

Am I the only one here opposed to the trade restrictions? I think it was very poorly thought out. As I see it, the implementation of this will have absolutely no effect on either mule accounts or gold sellers real-world trading with their mains -- the main source of transactions surrounding ill-gotten gold.

I'm all for trade restrictions, as long as they're imposed on the appropriate population, and implemented correctly. Now, if you've noticed, this update affects outgoing transactions, implying that Jagex's curbing RWT on the supply side -- the people who sell the gold, hence outgoing.

...what new account has the kind of gold to sell for large profit, besides a mule?

As they handle real money frequently, they'll have enough of it to buy membership and be rid of the restrictions anyway. What's an extra $8.00 to someone who wants to purchase (or sell) $50.00 worth of gold? On top of their shiny new gold, guess what, no more trade restrictions! :rolleyes:

Well some people on this site are opposed to everything Jagex does, so no you're probably not the only one against it. And no, "burn in hell Jagex you greedy corporate shills" isn't "feedback".

The new restrictions cut into the profit margin of RWT companies by making them buy a new membership every time they get banned. Once the old F2P RWT accounts get cleared out, the new restricted ones will be all that remains. If the RWT company doesn't stop, then they're paying for an obscene amount of memberships. Oh no!

Not really sure where you're going with this. Let's say the main gold seller puts some cash on a F2P mule. Awesome. Now he wants to get the reserves back from the mule. He can't, because F2P cannot give more than 25k anymore. Then they can trade it to another F2P account which will also be unable to get rid of more than 25k at a time. Or they can buy membership, but more likely they will go find a free game with fewer barriers to RWT. It's just good business sense. Jagex is making it a hassle for RWT groups so eventually they will go mess with someone else's game.

Why isn't stopping RWT on new accounts important? If an existing RWT account gets banned, they make a new one. Those new accounts will now have the trading restrictions. This cuts down on the ability of RWT companies to just come right back. Sure they can pay membership but if they're a major group they'll probably have several accounts working. I don't think Jagex would be entirely upset with several people paying $6 a month to go get banned.

What's an extra $8 to someone who deals in real money? That's $8 out of their profits when there's plenty of other free games they could RWT with. If this succeeds, Jagex just knocked themselves out of the competition. If for some reason RWT companies would rather take a hit to their profits to keep dealing with Runescape, then Jagex gets money from them.

The effects won't be there at first but once more RWT accounts get banned, RWTers will turn to new accounts and be unable to give the gold to the buyers without paying for a membership.

Personally I don't enjoy playing Runescape anymore and it's not because of Jagex, it's because of the community. It got a major kick to the face with the introduction of the Grand Exchange and once most of my friends moved on to other games I was pretty much by myself in a game where the community alternates between 10 year old pures and 19 year old metagame devotees. If half the people I started playing this game with were still here, I would probably be there too. Others don't like to accept the reality that they've moved on from the game. I could make thread after thread complaining about the Grand Exchange but I don't. That's the state of the game. I don't like it, I take my business elsewhere. But that's an inconceivable thought to some people. They're the ones who would rather stage an Occupy McDonalds protest rather than go to Burger King. It's a simple reality that regardless of how many guides you wrote or your total level that you are one customer to Jagex; no more important to them than the level 32 who just got members so he can play Pest Control. You don't get to determine the direction of the game regardless of how important you are on a fansite. The updates you rant and rave about saying that Jagex has ruined the game because they're corrupt NWO shills? Most people won't care.

An example I like to use is the free trade removal. That outraged everyone in Runescape because it decreased the quality of play across all levels and shot two of the biggest groups (PKers and merchanters) in the foot. On this site the criticism was better worded and there were even some who thought it was a good idea, but it was still there. Now let's look at other updates. The F2P hiscores removal affects a small amount of people. It will mess with the obsessive pure F2P types and the occasional PKer, but the wide majority of this game will just keep going. This new forum? I saw some guy say he was quiting over text. Most of the players probably don't even use the forums. I know I didn't once the GE came out. This is a site for some of the bigger Runescape fans and as such every update, whether it be a high level quest with a mediocre ending or another interface change, will draw huge amounts of criticism because almost everyone can access that content. A level 76 won't care about what glitch happened in Ritual of the Mahjarrat but you'll see here that it shows Jagex no longer checks the quality of their game, and also plays rugby using African orphans and kittens as the ball.

Runescape is on the decline, and it's not because you don't like it anymore. What alternatives were there to Runescape back in the early 2000s? It was pretty much this, WoW, and a whole bunch of different games on a lower level. With the advent of League of Legends and other better free online games, Runescape's player base will gradually decrease. It's just not as attractive of a game as it was before.
Posted Image

Drazhor
[ Display Name History ]

Drazhor

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,714 posts
  • RSN:Drazhor
I'm having issues with RSOF, whenever I click on a specific subforum it just shows "Page error 404 - not found" or something such as that.
Anybody know how I'll be able to fix this?
Posted Image
Visit my blog! Click the madness for more madness!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users