Fetching Updates

L2Pullout

My RS gets stuck on fetching updates.. client or browser.. Eventually it gets to fetching updates 27% (10) where I assume the 10 is the amount of tries before it gives up. Then it gives this error:

Error_game_js5io - I/O error.

RuneScape was unable to communicate reliably with the update server. This is most likely caused by firewall/antivirus/filtering software on your computer, or a fault with your network hardware/software.

I have no firewall or virus no filtering software. Windows firewall is off and this is a fresh copy of windows.

So far I've:

Cleared cache

Uninstalled java/re installed v6 update 29

Tried chrome/IE/Firefox

formatted computer

Win7, specs shouldn't matter as they are enough to play and played just fine before the past few days. I've googled and searched everywhere, but haven't came up with a solution. If formatting won't do it then I don't know what will.

Did jagex completely remove unsigned versions and such?

L2pullout.png

Tried the client?

zuzmo.png

collio.png

[hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide]

Never gonna give you up.[/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide]

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

My RS gets stuck on fetching updates.. client or browser.. Eventually it gets to fetching updates 27% (10) where I assume the 10 is the amount of tries before it gives up. Then it gives this error:

Error_game_js5io - I/O error.

RuneScape was unable to communicate reliably with the update server. This is most likely caused by firewall/antivirus/filtering software on your computer, or a fault with your network hardware/software.

I have no firewall or virus no filtering software. Windows firewall is off and this is a fresh copy of windows.

So far I've:

Cleared cache

Uninstalled java/re installed v6 update 29

Tried chrome/IE/Firefox

formatted computer

Win7, specs shouldn't matter as they are enough to play and played just fine before the past few days. I've googled and searched everywhere, but haven't came up with a solution. If formatting won't do it then I don't know what will.

I am still using 1.0.0.1 (85.5 KB). I even turned on Bloom yesterday and watched the pretty campfires in the GE.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

I'll answer this...

Yes, Jagex is no-longer providing an unsigned version of the RuneScape Java Applet, ever since the ClusterFlutterer update. On the bright side, most of the bots got nuked out of existence/functionality. Unluckily, most of the latest problems have been since the Dominion Tower and latest update releases. I'm really not surprised that you're having issues, as it seems like Jagex doesn't check their code sanity completely. :geek:

~D. V. "Good luck fixing that one..." Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

I'll answer this...

Yes, Jagex is no-longer providing an unsigned version of the RuneScape Java Applet, ever since the ClusterFlutterer update. On the bright side, most of the bots got nuked out of existence/functionality. Unluckily, most of the latest problems have been since the Dominion Tower and latest update releases. I'm really not surprised that you're having issues, as it seems like Jagex doesn't check their code sanity completely. :geek:

~D. V. "Good luck fixing that one..." Devnull

They no longer provide unsigned versions, but if you still have them laying around they will work.

bloomingfires.png

Please note the titlebar.

PvP is not for me

No more RS for me :(

Unless you wipe out your Java Certificate revocation and cache files and set Java to provide you with a prompt for Signed Code. Unluckily, I don't know all the ins/outs to that one, and only picked up on it in passing on the RSOF. Good luck trying that route, unless you don't have the permissions to go that way for some reason. :geek:

~D. V. "No idea what situation you're in?" Devnull

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

No more RS for me :(

Unless you wipe out your Java Certificate revocation and cache files and set Java to provide you with a prompt for Signed Code. Unluckily, I don't know all the ins/outs to that one, and only picked up on it in passing on the RSOF. Good luck trying that route, unless you don't have the permissions to go that way for some reason. :geek:

~D. V. "No idea what situation you're in?" Devnull

Here is a series of screenies which show my Java Control Panel options.

jcp.png

I am not suggesting that anyone go make changes willy-nilly to their settings. I am posting this as an illustration of settings that work. Perhaps by comparing settings, it can be determined what the root cause of the error is.

FWIW, my Java Cache (not to be confused with browser cache) has Jagex leavings dating back to mid 2010, and 4 different security certificates dating back to 2004.

PvP is not for me

<<<Quote Snip>>>

Here is a series of screenies which show my Java Control Panel options.

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/7381/jcp.png

I am not suggesting that anyone go make changes willy-nilly to their settings. I am posting this as an illustration of settings that work. Perhaps by comparing settings, it can be determined what the root cause of the error is.

FWIW, my Java Cache (not to be confused with browser cache) has Jagex leavings dating back to mid 2010, and 4 different security certificates dating back to 2004.

(Image changed to URL during quote... click the link to view directly.)

Running a bit tighter settings here, only 2 (most recent) security certs from Jagex. I could only figure that L2Pullout has accidentally perma-denied certs from Jagex at this point, as that sounds like what's causing the problem here. :geek:

~D. V. "I'm thinking this one's deep under the hood." Devnull

Yeah those are the same as my settings. Still no luck. Posted on RSOF, but thats like asking Special Ed class to tutor me after school.

Ooookay... Do you have any accepted Security Certificates from Jagex in your Java Control Panel? If you don't know where to look, that will be in "Security (tab) > Certificates (button) > Trusted Certificates (Cert. Type) > User (tab)"... If you have any accepted certificates, they'll have "Jagex Ltd" on their 'Issued to' name. :geek:

BTW, if you do have any accepted certificates, that should rule out this line of thinking. :thumbup:

~D. V. "Time to rule problems with this out..." Devnull

========================================

EDIT: Scratch the above line of thinking, unless you want to check it anyway. I'm now feeling like I misread something before. This kind of I/O error means you're already able to load the game applet, and it can't maintain the connection to the server. :wall:

L2Pullout, could you traceroute to some of the world servers and post back with the results of those? I get the feeling now that the ping is running too high on the round-trip. Also, if you have some way (such as "netstat -a") to, keep an eye on exactly where it is connecting while it updates, and please then post back the results of tracing that. :huh:

~Mr. D. V. "Where the hell was MY head at?" Devnull

Edited by D_V_Devnull