General Information, About the Role, & Who Can Apply
We are looking for 1-3 new people to join our moderator team as trainees! If you're interested, active, and think you'd make a great moderator, keep reading!
What does a moderator do?
- The most obvious role of a moderator is patrolling the forums to remove inappropriate content and handle user-submitted reports. Moderators lock threads, remove posts, move misplaced threads, issue warnings to users who violate the rules, and our higher ranked moderators also issue bans. But other less obvious roles (but equally important) include continuing to browse the forums as a regular user, being a leader of the community, setting a good example, and participating in private moderator discussions to form new policies, re-evaluating old policies, and working together with the team to make the Tip.It Forum as enjoyable as possible. Do not apply to join the team if you think the role is just about dealing with reports now and then. Trainees will be expected to do that too, but the most important part of the role is being involved in the community, being able to work together as a team, and constantly looking for ways that you can help improve Tip.It.
What are we looking for and what do we expect from new candidates?
- Ultimately, we're looking for new moderators with initiative. We want people with a passion for Tip.It, fresh ideas to bring to the team, and the desire to implement them. If you can think of forum rules you don't like or policies you want changed, that means you have a desire to change things and make them better. Qualities like that make for a good moderator!
- We need active moderators! We expect our trainees to browse Tip.It on a daily basis. We understand that sometimes you're unavailable due to holidays, vacations, exams, and other reasons, but on a typical day we expect daily participation. We want active and community-involved moderators!
- This recruitment drive is purely focused on finding people to moderate the RuneScape boards. We're not looking for Off-Topic moderators at this time because those boards are already very well taken care of!
- Candidates must be confident in a leadership role. We do not immediately expect moderator trainees to lead themselves and function without guidance. We will be there to help you in the beginning! But as the months go on, moderators progress through the ranks and are expected to help train new moderators and answer their questions. Some moderators even go on to become admins, who are the leaders and managers of the entire website and forum! So it's important that moderators are comfortable in working with others and acting as leaders.
- Being a moderator means you need a good sense of judgement, the ability to make decisions without bias, and a professional attitude. We're not a boring, serious group of people and we do joke around, but it's also important that moderators are professional in their decision-making and in the way that they interact with users in their official capacity (such as issuing warnings).
Who can apply?
- Below are a list of requirements needed to apply:
- You may not be part of the Tip.It Crew. However, you may apply if you are a member of the Editorial Panel or Tip.It Monster Hunting Team.
- You must have registered at least 3 months ago and be active in the community.
- You must have a post count greater than 150.
- You must be interested in moderating the RuneScape forums. We're not looking for Off-Topic moderators at this time!
I applied last time and got denied - can I apply again? Or what if I have been warned or banned before?
- If you applied last time but were unsuccessful, we highly encourage you to apply again if you meet the requirements! We are always re-evaluating our standards and changing what we're looking for in candidates, so even if you were rejected last time, you could be accepted this time! If you're still interested, give it a try!
If you have received a warning or ban from a moderator in the past, you are also still welcome to apply. We do not blacklist people who have broken the rules before. If you have broken multiple rules on multiple occasions recently, then yes your chances will go down. But we always keep an open mind. We will consider the severity of the offence(s) and how much time has elapsed since your most recent offence. We promise to be fair and consider everyone.
How To Apply
If you are interested in applying, fill out the below form and send it in a private message to Staff_Applications with the subject "Moderator Application." Remember, this is your chance at a good first impression! Put some effort into it, don't rush, and make sure you answer every question. We're only looking to accept 1-3 new people so put your best foot forward! A tip: it's usually better to write too much than too little! Good luck!
[b]Forum Name: [/b] [b]Link to Forum Profile: [/b] [b]RuneScape Username: [/b] [b]Age: [/b] [b]Timezone: [/b] [b]Boards you are Interested in Moderating: [/b] [b]How often do you browse the Tip.It Forums? (How long each day or how many times a week) [/b] [b]What does being a moderator mean to you? [/b] [b]Why do you want to be a moderator and what would you bring to the team? Why do you think you deserve to be selected? [/b] [b]What ideas do you have to help improve the Tip.It Forum (not the website)? What changes would you want to make? [/b] [b]What do you honestly think about the Tip.It Forum (not the website) and community? [/b] [b]Tell us a little bit about you! What are your interests, hobbies, aspirations, favourite sandwich, etc.! This is your chance to just tell us a bit about yourself as a person: [/b]