Guest Rob

The Last Airbender: Legend of Korra is an upcoming American television series set in the Avatar universe as a spin-off of Avatar: The Last Airbender. It is expected to air on Nickelodeon in 2012, but no concrete air date has been given. The series is currently under production and is expected to run for two seasons and a total of twenty-six episodes, with options for more. The co-creators of the original series, Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko, will personally write all of the episodes to allow for a tighter storyline.

The new series will take place seventy years after the end of the Avatar: The Last Airbender story arc, with new characters and settings. The protagonist of the new series, Korra, the Avatar after Aang, is a hot-headed and rebellious young woman from the Southern Water Tribe who is "ready to take on the world". The series will follow Korra as she faces an anti-bender revolt while mastering the art of airbending from Aang and Katara's son, Tenzin.

Full article

Thoughts? I myself am a huge fan of Avatar: The Last Airbender, so I have high-hopes for this show. There's a few things that I already don't like about it (The more "futuristic" approach in particular) and normally I would assume that this is just going to be another terrible spin-off of a cartoon, but the main writers of The Last Airbender will be in charge of it, so perhaps it has hopes.

I was a huge fan of the original series in its writing and plot as well as the animation. From what it looks like, this series looks darker and edgier than the original series and it looks like it could be a nice reason to actually watch Nickelodeon once more, so I am having very high hopes with what the article and videos are applying. :thumbup:

My only issue is that Korra looks like her personality is a repeat of Aang's to a degree, which seems like it was designed to help people keep familiarity with the audience who loved the first show. Should still be worth the watch, unlike the live-action movie.

I will most likely watch it too :). I followed avatar the last air bender with my friends years ago and it was really fun, and korra sounds like it'll be more enjoyable for an older audience than a:tla was.

I hope it isn't too modernized though.

My only issue is that Korra looks like her personality is a repeat of Aang's to a degree, which seems like it was designed to help people keep familiarity with the audience who loved the first show. Should still be worth the watch, unlike the live-action movie.

Actually, apparently Korra is supposed to be reckless and wild, and was actually meant to have the opposite personality of Aang. I forget where I read that exactly, but I think it was somewhere on the site that I linked in the OP.

i miss aang.

They're releasing a fourth season of ATLAB in comic-book form - the first one is already out! I suggest reading it if you haven't already.

Would this be a good starting point for someone who's interested in the series but has only seen a couple of the first season episodes?

Heck no. Watch the whole thing.

I'd like to, but if that isn't possible... :razz:

Not going to be able to buy/rent/stream the series and I don't pirate, so I'm probably out of luck there.

I'm confused: how did they suddenly develop electricity, photography, etc in such a short timespan?

Still, I'm going to watch it. Set schedules hopefully mean no stupid filler episodes, so it will be even more enjoyable to watch. Huzzah. I like that airbending has survived, for one. But what about the bending technique revealed at the end of the last series? How is that going to play into this anti-bending revolt? I'm intrigued.

hzvjpwS.gif

I'm confused: how did they suddenly develop electricity, photography, etc in such a short timespan?

Still, I'm going to watch it. Set schedules hopefully mean no stupid filler episodes, so it will be even more enjoyable to watch. Huzzah. I like that airbending has survived, for one. But what about the bending technique revealed at the end of the last series? How is that going to play into this anti-bending revolt? I'm intrigued.

I kinda hope they go a lot more into how Bending shaped the way their technology and society as a whole evolved. It's the more nerdy side of me and I don't think it'll be explored too much just because of the kind of show it is but still. For example good Firebenders have a pretty decent relationship with lightning, so electricity could come from them being able to understand it more intimately due to feeling the way it works or whatever. Not sure about photography and other stuff like that, though.

[spoiler=End of first series' spoilers]The ability to take bending away, you mean? It's been a while since I've watched the series. If it's that, though, I don't remember quite how it worked. Was it only the Avatar that could do it? If not, I would assume whatever government entity they have uses it to permanently disable problematic Benders they get their hands on.

I am generally expecting it to go like that, and Korra switching to the side of the rebels when she finds out about them doing that. But, if it doesn't end up like that, I will be pleasantly surprised. Just like I was with the first Jet episode.

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men

Would this be a good starting point for someone who's interested in the series but has only seen a couple of the first season episodes?

Not going to be able to buy/rent/stream the series and I don't pirate, so I'm probably out of luck there.

You can watch it for free (legally) somewhere on the Nickelodeon website.

I kinda hope they go a lot more into how Bending shaped the way their technology and society as a whole evolved. It's the more nerdy side of me and I don't think it'll be explored too much just because of the kind of show it is but still. For example good Firebenders have a pretty decent relationship with lightning, so electricity could come from them being able to understand it more intimately due to feeling the way it works or whatever. Not sure about photography and other stuff like that, though.

[spoiler=End of first series' spoilers]The ability to take bending away, you mean? It's been a while since I've watched the series. If it's that, though, I don't remember quite how it worked. Was it only the Avatar that could do it? If not, I would assume whatever government entity they have uses it to permanently disable problematic Benders they get their hands on.

I am generally expecting it to go like that, and Korra switching to the side of the rebels when she finds out about them doing that. But, if it doesn't end up like that, I will be pleasantly surprised. Just like I was with the first Jet episode.

Yeah, it's something that only the Avatar can do. Iirc, the turtle just taught him how to do it, but Avatar Extras revealed that it's been done before in the past. So it's not a "new" form of bending, per se.

Ah recently heard of this sequel or spin-off. I'm more or less eager to see how this will turn out.

Though I hope the 1st series doesn't influence my enjoyment for The Legend of Korra too much. Hopefully my expectations when this comes around won't be too high. :P

Human history is a long process of learning by f---ng up over and over again. It's haphazard and stupid, but we learn best by trial and error... and more error. :heh:

For every 5000 failures we have, we have someone that finds out something...

You can watch it for free (legally) somewhere on the Nickelodeon website.

Yeah, it's something that only the Avatar can do. Iirc, the turtle just taught him how to do it, but Avatar Extras revealed that it's been done before in the past. So it's not a "new" form of bending, per se.

Not to mention that the supposed Big Bad of the new series is leading a group of anti-benders, so what good would "Energybending" (or whatever bending move you call it) do? Also, the bending technique was essentially a "last reserve" if the bender in question was that large of a threat and was only used only among a handful of avatars, considering the implications that would occur if their will wasn't strong enough, so I am having large doubts on if the move will be used again.

If I recalled, wasn't there only a small fraction of each nation that could actually bend, with the exception of Air Nomads? With the anti-benders, it seems to imply bending is more common. :unsure:

It was just announced on Facebook that the first episode will be airing on April 14th.

Let me buy some confetti and streamers so I can celebrate. I was happy that there was the new series, but was frustrated and wanted to know when it would air; I am now satisfied.

Thanks for letting me know. :thumbup:

I'm guessing we will never see Aang and Katara as adults.

That's kinda disappointing.

Well we can't see Adult!Aang for obvious reasons, and since the rest of the main cast is essentially dead by the spin-off, it is to be expected. I'm just as disappointed as you are, but keeping my mind open for getting into the new characters. I just hope the series is good since I couldn't stand Nickelodeon for the past few years.

Maybe we'll get to see Aang when Korra speaks with the past Avatars.

Since the Avatar is known to do it often in each incarnation, it should be expected. I am curious on how she would act if she has to speak to Roku too, unless it's going to focus on Aang the whole time when looking for advice.

After watching the trailer again, I noticed that the kid at the end sounds exactly like Sokka, so maybe our trio is going to be Korra, Tenzin, and Sokka's son. If that's true then it shouldn't be too different from the original. I wonder how they'll throw Toph and Zuko into the mix...

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

After watching the trailer again, I noticed that the kid at the end sounds exactly like Sokka, so maybe our trio is going to be Korra, Tenzin, and Sokka's son. If that's true then it shouldn't be too different from the original. I wonder how they'll throw Toph and Zuko into the mix...

I think the trio was already established as being Korra and two brothers, Mako and Bolin, one an Earthbender and the other a Firebender. Also Toph's daughter is the chief of police in the city it's set in. Unsure about Zuko and Sokka, though. I hope they don't really bring up the crew from the first series, though. Their story was wrapped up perfectly, imo.

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men

There are graphic novels to give insight as to what happened after the end of the TV series. The first is released; the second is coming out late May. I don't think Korra/The Last Airbender should be very intertwined - a few references to them and Korra talking to Aang would be fine, but I don't want Korra to revolve around TLAB.