Guest Rob

I noticed there hasn't been a post here in awhile, but I have one thing to say about Episode 3 today.

Jesus Christ, Amon. How can someone with no powers be scarier than Ozai? :shock:

Did episode 3 only air yesterday? Bit confused as it seems like I haven't watched this for quite a while yet only missed one episode?

And yes, Amon is WAY scarier than Ozai. I can only say I'm really happy with the way this series is going, with darker tones and a more serious plot that also makes the villains more than just villains.

Aang only found out HOW to take someone's powers away when he was in spirit form while on the Lion Turtle.

This brings up an extremely controversy on how Amon is able to. Especially regarding it being an Avatar only ability.

IMHO. I think he's just blocking their Chi for a long time. [They are Chi blockers :P]. Though, I don't know how the show will progress now. Considering Korra is on the run from Amon and his gang.

I think it's more than just long chi blocking. Amon said he got these powers from the spirits, and there is some sense in that.

Usually, it's the avatar that's the bond between normal world and spirit world. It would be quite likely he gets his powers from the spirits. If Amon indeed has such powers, that makes his claim that he got it from the spirits not unlikely.

The avatar also is supposed to bring balance to world, and again Amon kind of has a point - there is quite the obvious disparity between benders and non-benders.

Now, I don't see how Korra was supposed to do something against this, so I'm not too sure about this "the avatar has failed the world, so the spirits gave me this power", but on the other hand she's been pretty secluded and enjoyed all the advantages that her special status gave her. That doesn't exactly make her the ideal person to resolve those issues.

I'm not quite sure what to think about this Amon. On one hand he seems to be quite serious about his powers and I think there's more to this than just some trick...but on the other hand I don't see why the spirits would choose him as an "avatar replacement"

The thing is... What spirits directly gave them?

Avatars are the only ones that can communicate with spirits. Though, this is 70-80 years since Aang. I honestly don't know how this all plays out now. Since, if Amon gets hold of Korra she's done for. However... she might be able to unlock her 'avatar' state at that point. [Aang was only able to at extreme times of stress or if he might die] - So, them having a confrontation might start even more things.

It's rather a confusing turn of plot right at the beginning of a series. Guess we'll have to wait till next Saturday to find out.

I would put money on Amon lying about the spirits giving the power to him. He's already been shown to utilise propaganda, and what could get people more on your side than telling them 'welp the spirit world sent me to [bleep] up benders, let's get to it'?

Alternatively, the most interesting theory I've read is that Amon is the Avatar and he was created when Azula killed Aang in series two of the first show.

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men

I would put money on Amon lying about the spirits giving the power to him. He's already been shown to utilise propaganda, and what could get people more on your side than telling them 'welp the spirit world sent me to [bleep] up benders, let's get to it'?

Alternatively, the most interesting theory I've read is that Amon is the Avatar and he was created when Azula killed Aang in series two of the first show.

Well, I don't know about the spirits giving the power directly to him, but what he said did make sense. The other theory would make sense as well. But I definitely think there is some connection between Amon and the Avatar and it's not just something like him simply being a bit better at chi-bending or something like that.

Except the Avatar can't reincarnate if it dies in the Avatar State, which is what happened to Aang in that case. That theory would also mean Amon is at least 70 years old.

For all we know, spirits might be helping Amon take down Republic City too like it was a Tower of Babel scenario.

I love the multi-avatar theory, although it is 'disproven' by the fact that Aang was in the Avatar state at the time. Additionally, I can't imagine an avatar hating all those who can bend the elements.

... Although I suppose you could argue that Aang wasn't in the Avatar state while Azula shot him down; he was unlocking the last Chakra so that he could enter the avatar state. Interesting theory, regardless!

I look forward to episode 4. So far every episode has been very enjoyable to me; I'm not enjoying the wait in-between episodes!

The waiting... how long has it been since a seven day wait felt so agonizing?

Anyone else thing that the silhouette (Korra) doing the waterbending in the intro will go from messy to refined over the series as a reflection to her character development to working on airbending and, as a whole, understanding the spiritual aspect to being the Avatar? The spoilers already spoiled us that she will be crying in Tenzin's arms at some point, which might be where she stops acting like a Leeroy in combat and lean towards being more composed. Her confrontational behavior is bad enough to the point she lost to a regular Equalist fighter and appears to cause other troubles much to chagrin to tohers.

I just hope the Equalists don't hog up the screen time as the enemy in the series since the prospect of looking into the Triad seems worth expanding into why Republic City isn't turning out as great as Aang planned.

Watched episode 4 now...A bit disappointed, the plot feels a little unbelievable here...

episode 4 spoiler

[hide]The "fight" with Amon didn't really make sense. First of all, why did they let Korra do this in the first place? Yeah, she may be stubborn and all, but it's not impossible to hold her back for one night, which is what I would do as a friend, when she's going to a duel with a guy where you have no idea at all if he's going to stick to the rules, and there's still the very likely chance of failure even if he does.

Second, why did Amon do this? Okay, not wanting to harm her because it would set benders on him makes sense I guess, even if I still think he could have ransomed some concessions or something like that. But, if he's going to let her go away, why take the risk of going to the island at all? Just so he can tell Korra: "I have an evil masterplan, muahahaha?". Likewise, he couldn't have known if the other side wouldn't turn up with dozens of benders.

This whole thing just seemed a litte bit too set up to be believable...[/hide]

Watched episode 4 now...A bit disappointed, the plot feels a little unbelievable here...

episode 4 spoiler

[hide]The "fight" with Amon didn't really make sense. First of all, why did they let Korra do this in the first place? Yeah, she may be stubborn and all, but it's not impossible to hold her back for one night, which is what I would do as a friend, when she's going to a duel with a guy where you have no idea at all if he's going to stick to the rules, and there's still the very likely chance of failure even if he does.

Second, why did Amon do this? Okay, not wanting to harm her because it would set benders on him makes sense I guess, even if I still think he could have ransomed some concessions or something like that. But, if he's going to let her go away, why take the risk of going to the island at all? Just so he can tell Korra: "I have an evil masterplan, muahahaha?". Likewise, he couldn't have known if the other side wouldn't turn up with dozens of benders.

a) because she's the Avatar, who would really try and stop her? And her not showing up to the duel would be a lot more damaging to the overall bender image than Amon not showing up. And if she does lose, Amon was right that the Four Nations would go to all lengths to put him down. I'm sure Tarlock took that into account too.

b) Really? Amon won a massive psychological victory against Korra. And it looked like Amon arrived before Korra with all his chi-blocking pals so if he saw her show up with the bending taskforce then they could either bug out or send them all back to the mainland minus their bending. And the whole getting a clearer measure of your opponent, etc, etc.

Seems perfectly believable, in my mind at least.

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men

episode 4 spoiler

a) because she's the Avatar, who would really try and stop her? And her not showing up to the duel would be a lot more damaging to the overall bender image than Amon not showing up. And if she does lose, Amon was right that the Four Nations would go to all lengths to put him down. I'm sure Tarlock took that into account too.

b) Really? Amon won a massive psychological victory against Korra. And it looked like Amon arrived before Korra with all his chi-blocking pals so if he saw her show up with the bending taskforce then they could either bug out or send them all back to the mainland minus their bending. And the whole getting a clearer measure of your opponent, etc, etc.

Seems perfectly believable, in my mind at least.

I actually liked how this episode turned out. What intrigued me was that they slightly mentioned someone that threatened the city 42 years ago, which could make a plot point in the future, and how Amon at least a good reason to let Korra go. I hope that from this point, Korra's character development from being arrogant and overconfident to becoming humble on the path to a fully realized Avatar.

Although, it's a bit strange that there was a flashback montage of the older versions of the previous cast from Amon knocking Korra out. My bets is that she just had brief access to memories from her previous life as Avatar Aang.

What amazes me is that, for a Saturday Morning Cartoon, it's rather dark despite being four episodes into the series. I mean the final scene made Korra's defeat at Amon look like she was a rape victim. How is this show "for kids" by any means?

Ikki is starting to be my favorite of the three children, if she keeps up the amusing trolling.

Something I cannot understand is Mako's new girl... When she was on her scooter she LOOKED like a Chi-blocker.

IMO the episode was.... "ok" not amazing. Just.. confusing.

Well, she is a non-bender after all, but does not support the Equalists' agenda. As for the episode itself, I think it was just there to serve the purpose of shattering Korra's arrogance/confirming her fear and sorta letting us know that not all non-bender supports Equalism (like the Satos). Then again, I still liked the episode and didn't find it all too confusing.

The whole capture scene was creepy as hell though.

episode 4 spoiler

if you want to enjoy the show more i think keeping in mind that it. is. a. cartoon. would help.

if you analyzed the last airbender in that kind of depth you would find the same kinds of holes - if not more - i think. I am quite amazed at how well they writers keep things together, and keep things making enough sense. there are just an unbelievable amount of things they have to keep track of and integrate and everything. even novel writers - who have much more freedom to revise and time to write and so on - often suffer from the plot not being believable enough when they tackle such things as creating fictional worlds.

Does anyone else think it's kind of unfair that the Water Tribes get two representatives and that Tenzin gets to represent the entire airbending community (himself and three children) as equally as the rest? I feel like the Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom got screwed in that deal.

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

Does anyone else think it's kind of unfair that the Water Tribes get two representatives and that Tenzin gets to represent the entire airbending community (himself and three children) as equally as the rest? I feel like the Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom got screwed in that deal.

I think that Tenzin wasn't chosen as a representative because he's an airbenders; he was chosen because he's Aang's son and seems to be fairly wise and all that jazz.

[hide]

I loved episode four! The ending (Korra/Tenzin) was fairly emotional and overall well-done. The chi-blocker fight-scene was fairly awesome. There's been a huge improvement in fight scene quality between TLAB and TLOK. I hate waiting one week at a time for new episodes, though!

[/hide]

The Southern Tribe still considers themselves entirely independent from the Northern on many issues (if Northern Water Tribe still has the "women stay in the healing" bit on bending, so it wouldn't be accurate representation for the water part if both had to vote for the same position. Too be honest, I don't think Earth Kingdom and Fire Nation (which probably is a rust belt since Republic City seems to be the king when it comes to manufacturing) have any real bad deals.

Although, if anyone got screwed, it seems the Non-bending community doesn't have a rep on the council's decisions at all, so they don't exactly have a voice in the city unless it's through the Equalists and Amon.

The Southern Tribe still considers themselves entirely independent from the Northern on many issues (if Northern Water Tribe still has the "women stay in the healing" bit on bending, so it wouldn't be accurate representation for the water part if both had to vote for the same position. Too be honest, I don't think Earth Kingdom and Fire Nation (which probably is a rust belt since Republic City seems to be the king when it comes to manufacturing) have any real bad deals.

Although, if anyone got screwed, it seems the Non-bending community doesn't have a rep on the council's decisions at all, so they don't exactly have a voice in the city unless it's through the Equalists and Amon.

Non-benders are still citizens of whatever nation they're from so I'm assuming that they're represented the same as the benders.

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

Did Aang ever master the Avatar state?

I don't remember, I remember he went into the state on his own at the end of Season 2 but he got shot down.

I don't remember, I remember he went into the state on his own at the end of Season 2 but he got shot down.

I assume you missed Season 3, but he did master it for real since it was inevitable.

While on the subject, I wonder how many of the 1,000 or so Avatars didn't succeed in mastering the 4 and died before that.

Did you not see the epic final episodes of season 3?

I like the series so far. I thought how the hell are they going to make nonbenders pose any threat at all but the chi-blockers seem powerful and dangerous. Same goes for the electric stick guys. Not sure why Korra prefers to fight with fire over water though.

Retired

2146 overall - 136 combat - 6 skillcapes

Plus I think the whole teenage girl thing will end soon (hopefully), because my girlfriend is absolutely in love with him(she is 18), and im beginning to feel threatened by his [Justin Bieber] dashing looks.

I like the series so far. I thought how the hell are they going to make nonbenders pose any threat at all but the chi-blockers seem powerful and dangerous. Same goes for the electric stick guys. Not sure why Korra prefers to fight with fire over water though.

Well, you have to consider she is very rash, impatient, etc. She probably also wants to take out her enemys as quickly as possible. Fire is the most aggressive element and fits the best here (Which doesn't mean it's the best choice). I see it more as something to represent her personality rather than an objective reason.

I didn't actually.

I only saw the last part of the final episode where Aang defeats Ozai and kisses Katara. Perhaps I should go watch them.

show has been disappointing. korra is kind of a crappy bender compared to aang and she looks older than aang in the first show. and that's when aang only knew one element to bend.

and like i said earlier in this thread, i was worried about having a lame story and it's heading that way. toph's earth armor (and korra knows how to earthbend...) would basically make the equalists worthless in a battle.