Dark souls

Bought dark souls after reading about it on Ctrl+alt+del and it is probably the most enjoyable game I have picked up for a long time, yet it seems largely neglected by everyone, when asking about in the hyt friends chat the majority of people did not even know what it was.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7U-a9pJtHQ

I am around 10 hours into the game so far, and love it. Would go as far to say that I much prefer it to skyrim, mainly due to the multiplayer aspects and generally how much more challenging and rewarding it feels (lets be honest, Skyrim is an easy game... even on the hardest settings which the right gear).

I cannot talk about much of the end game content, but the first few bosses have been extremely difficult as expected, and have only got past a few easy areas on my first try XD.

Online play is exciting as well, with people able to join your world to try and kill you, it keeps being exciting, have only personnelly had limited online play due to mostly playing with my xbox out of online range, and this consisted of getting either killed, or one hitting people with my zweihander (put all my level ups on strength) .

Could not recommend this game more, and wondered how many people here had tried it.

Check it out, huge amount of effort has gone into this massive mod!

ODG6e0M.png

[hide=old sig]

newsig.png

[/hide]

Ah, Dark Souls. One of my favorite games of all time. I've taken a break from it to play Mass Effect 3, but I'll be returning to it once I'm finished. Not sure what character I would want to make now though. I've taken 6 characters through both NG and NG+, and working on a 7th character as an "RP character"

I'm writing up outlines that will be turned into my character's story once I am finished. (I do an area, jot down notes, then proceed). Unfortunately the task requires that I memorize a lot of the lore. I love all the story in Dark Souls. It isn't given to you, but it's there. You just have to look for it.

"Don't get in my face, don't invade my space. I'll put you in your place.

I'll only tell you once, I'll never tell you twice. This is me being nice." ~Porcelain and the Tramps

Lqt9R.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The pc trailer for this game looks nice. The game has piqued my interest for a while. I've read that the difficulty is not for the faint of heart, not bad. The thing that throws me off is the invasion thing. I keep thinking that it's someone relentlessly coming after me, killing me, and ruining any progress I've made.

The pc trailer for this game looks nice. The game has piqued my interest for a while. I've read that the difficulty is not for the faint of heart, not bad. The thing that throws me off is the invasion thing. I keep thinking that it's someone relentlessly coming after me, killing me, and ruining any progress I've made.

The invasion thing only happens if you decide to turn human. It's the trade-off you make for being able to summon other people/NPCs in to help you with boss fights and people invading you and the like.

I'm a big fan of Dark Souls, but people really overhype the difficulty and hardcoreness or whatever of the game. I think the best part of the game is how open it is. I'm still coming across areas I had no idea existed in my first couple of playthroughs.

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men

• 11 months later...

I bought it last fall.

I got pretty far until my comp died.

I haven't bothered to reinstall it.

I think the difficulty is average for games circa 1990.

You know when you actually had to practice to beat a video game.

• Like 1

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

Hm old thread.

It's a nice game with a good combat system. I like how you can use any weapon/armour and do well, instead of everyone always using the best thing.

Some things I don't like though, such as how the game feels very lonely and the barebones storytelling. Some people apparently like the atmosphere, but I'd take chatty npcs and a well-defined story over that anytime.

2480+ total

This doesn't seem like the kind of game which would be improved by story telling. Then again, I'm fairly early in the game. I just really enjoy farming souls at this one area now that I can kill everything in one hit.

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!

It's got a whole bunch of story, it's just not spelled out to you through a whole bunch of cutscenes and junk. It's generally inferences made through item descriptions, NPC dialogue, locations, etc. The story telling it employs is pretty much in the top 10 videogame stories, I feel.

And there's no need to farm souls early on, to tell the truth. Soul acquisition gets pretty crazy the further you get in the game.

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men

• 2 weeks later...

It's got a whole bunch of story, it's just not spelled out to you through a whole bunch of cutscenes and junk. It's generally inferences made through item descriptions, NPC dialogue, locations, etc. The story telling it employs is pretty much in the top 10 videogame stories, I feel.

And there's no need to farm souls early on, to tell the truth. Soul acquisition gets pretty crazy the further you get in the game.

Some people like that stuff apparently. Reading item description is boring. I wouldn't call it a story, it's lore. Your story as a character is pretty much "kill stuff, go ring bells and choose whether you kindle the fire again or not." Hardly fascinating. The lore is interesting, but if I hadn't watched videos explaining the lore I wouldn't know half of it, a lot of people are in the same boat.

2480+ total

Some people like that stuff apparently. Reading item description is boring. I wouldn't call it a story, it's lore. Your story as a character is pretty much "kill stuff, go ring bells and choose whether you kindle the fire again or not." Hardly fascinating. The lore is interesting, but if I hadn't watched videos explaining the lore I wouldn't know half of it, a lot of people are in the same boat.

You could probably say that the spotlight is more on the world than on any of the characters, including the PC. You're just poking through the ruins.

It's sort of like the Metroid series, in that sense. If you're a fan of worldbuilding, you'll love it. If you prefer character driven stories, you can do better.

You could probably say that the spotlight is more on the world than on any of the characters, including the PC. You're just poking through the ruins.

It's sort of like the Metroid series, in that sense. If you're a fan of worldbuilding, you'll love it. If you prefer character driven stories, you can do better.

Pretty much. To me it feels like all the exciting stuff happened before our time. The game is like "<Insert exciting stuff> etc but hey too bad you weren't there to see it huh buddy? hur hur troll troll". Plus the second game is gonna be set in a different land, so probably all the unanswered lore stuff will never be answered.

2480+ total

3:15 am and i just watched the trailer of this game. Considering going to an ATM, making a deposit in my account, and buying this game right now :S

Depositing at an ATM? What magic is this.

• Like 1

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I messed up :(. I decided I was going to 100% the game, I finally killed super Ornstein for the first time then killed gwyndolin but I didn't know dark anor londo doesn't have any silver knights, I was planning on farming them for their weapons and shield :(((( 

anyone have any comments on my pvp build? I will also be using the dragon slayer spear, uchigtana, scythe, great scythe, silver knight spear and silverknight sword. basically any dex weapon 

was planning on staying at 16 str but wasn't sure what to put the 12 points in to

http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=194101730232489526

Ranqecaravan.png