Prototype

The_Mather1

The year is 2160, and once, world peace had finally become a reality, but then in 2134 North Korea set its eyes for the sky. Setting up a deal with China where it gains access to Chinese soil and engineers in exchange for offering future lands, it started a space program with the colonization of Mars in. This spurted a second Space Race; NATO, with the addition of Japan, against North Korea and China, for military power in space. Your vessel, the Icarus is the result of this, it is the first vessel ever created that is intended to be capable of staying spaceborne indefinitely without being locked in orbit. And you are its crew for the maiden flight.

Your goal is to secure Mars for colonization by NATO.

[spoiler='The Icarus]The Icarus is so far only equipped with a single pair of slow-firing railguns, and a few small laser turrets, unsuitable to take care of anything apart from missiles and smaller meteorites.

Other than that it houses an AI known as the Central Intelligence Unit, or CIU, and its holding bay is fitted with the machinery needed to produce the components for whatever you may need to make yourselves. To get the materials you need however, you will have to mine them, for this the only option you have as of yet are rebreather suits, which can sustain you for up to 24 hours in the vacuum of space before they need recharging, and handheld plasma drills that utilize a combination of vibration and heat to mine through ice and rock.

You also have at your disposal two F-88 Lockheed Martin Starfighters, rocket-fighters capable of holding up to 8 missiles and 2 bombs in the internal bay, they also have mounted, forward-facing machineguns. These are capable of high-speed maneuvering in space, they are VTOL and have parking clamps to enable them to safely remain parked on moving objects.

[spoiler='Classes and Research]

Military personnel excel at combat and piloting small vehicles.

Medics excel at first aid and are the only ones capable of surgery.

Engineers excel at constructing and reading sensors.

Scientists excel at programming and communicating with AIs.

Research works by either doing a puzzle (if I can come up with one), waiting an amount of time, or by explaining how the technology works without breaking physics/biology.

Military personnel may only research combat equipment.

Engineers may only research transportation and robotics.

Medics may only research pharmaceutics and medical equipment, methods and implants/augmentations.

Scientists may research anything.

Joint research reduces time, especially for situations such as where an Engineer and a Medic cooperate on bionic body-parts. Two of the same class reduces by a quarter, one of the intended class and one Scientist reduces by a third, and two of different related classes or two Scientists reduces by half. Stacks exponentially per person added, not linearly.

[spoiler='Game Mechanics]Rolls are done by [Difficulty]-[Level]*2=[Min Roll on a d100].

Experience is given according to ([Difficulty]-[Level]*2)/10.

20xp = 1 level.

[spoiler='Character Sheet]

[u]Name:[/u]
Nationality: [i]Must be from either Japan or a NATO member.[/i]
Class:
Skills:[list]
[*] [i]Starts empty[/i]
[/list]
Items:[list]
[*] [i]Starts empty[/i]
[/list]

Please keep your own character sheet up to date in a post on the first page and avoid posting more than once until it seems everyone that has the intention of joining has done so.

EDIT: This will be played on IRC

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kay. I'll play. Though I wish it was easier to see the info.. Meh.

Name: Richard "Zen" Slan

Class: Medic

Nationality: USA

Skills: Empty so far

Items: Empty so far

FaladorTavern.png

Youtube account: Earthgragonsage; currently uploading not an effing thing.

[hide=Memorable Crossroads Quotes.]

Reigan: NO MOOSE CAN SAVE US NOW; ...Had that been taken out of context, it would have been comical... Right now, it's terrifying.

[/hide]

I'm playing! ^-^

Name: Celeste "Angel" White

Class: Military

Nationality: North America

Extra note: She was born in the New England area of the USA, but speaks with a Southern accent. But if she speaks into a mic, she sounds abit squeaky.

Items:

(not sure if this counts, but i made it) Armor Suit (Halo spartan like)

Skills:

27 exp weapons technology

8 exp piloting

sSoooo. An engi, two medics, a military, and a scientist. Cool.

FaladorTavern.png

Reigan: NO MOOSE CAN SAVE US NOW; ...Had that been taken out of context, it would have been comical... Right now, it's terrifying.

[/hide]

Ok then. I nominate myself as Captain, or, at least, Chief Engineer.

I also set about looking at the Engineering section of the Icarus.

Mather, it you would mind furnishing me with an image of the Icarus, and preferably the drive room as well. I intend to make a number of changes and modifications with immediate effect, so I would be much obliged if the images were in such a form as to be easily modifed, or to be accompanied by simpler diagrams which could be modifed in their place.

I also wish for six puzzles (or up to six) for my immediate application.

I also require a full and frank explaination for how the engine and drive system works. If the drive system is inertia based I would also prefer to have the weight of the ship and the various constituant parts(Also how many bombs, rockets, ore we currently carry, the weight of the two starfighters, food and what not...in short an inventory of the ship down to the rivets). If you wish to work out the Delta-V of the ship as well I would be much obliged, though I can do that if you would prefer.

If the drive system is not inertia based (and thus no covered by our current understanding on physics) I would ask that I got a brief summery of how it did work so that I could attempt to apply logic and reason, though of course respecting that your word is final on matters that defy physics.

I would further ask for information pertaining to the best weapons currently avaliable within the NATO alliance, I assume they are Coil-Based Gauss Cannons, or some sort of UV-Laser.

Also a full inventory of the handheld weapons that can be produced by the ship, as well as the forms of armour that can be produced by the ship, the development of robotics, cybernetics and nanotechnology over the past 138 years...also in regards to what we, on the ship, are capable of producing.

Oh, and if we are not capable of producing those things currently then what would be the nearest applicable thing that we had on ship, ie what machine do we have that could make the parts to make the machine to make the parts to make the machine that can produce the latest nano-technology.

Finally, I would like the latest research concerning the possibility of feeding audio, visual(across the whole spectrum, not just the visible range) and mechanical oscillations of the ground and of objects nearby, into some sort of VISOR:

"The device scans the electromagnetic spectrum, creating visual input, and transmits it into the brain of the wearer via the optic nerves. It is a thin, curved device, with the sensors on the convex side, that covers the eyes and attaches at small input jacks implanted in the temples."

I don't think any of that would be beyond my perview as Engineer.

Well I knew you wouldn't agree. I know how you hate facing facts.

Can't quite tell if you're serious or if I should just ask a mod to delete that post.

You have no captain, as the CIU is in charge of the ship, you could elect one, but in order to commandeer the charge, he or she would have to be a scientist in order to convince the CIU of such.

The fighters are for all intents and purposes identical to F-35s, with the exception of being VTOL and working in space. The quantity of explosive weapons for them is virtually infinite, but inaccessible as they are loaded automatically after the airlock has been cleared of air and they are put back into storage before it fills again.

The Icarus uses an improved form of Hall effect thrusters for propulsion, but stays in orbit by using magnetic levitation to counteract up to 2G to hover within a planets gravitational reach.

The crew section is divided in four, with military personnel closest to the armory, medics near the clinic, engineers near the cargo/fabrication bay and scientists near the computer mainframe (note, not the CIU mainframe). The armory and cargo bay are near the back of the ship, the computer mainframe and the clinic is closer to the middle. The mess hall is situated as a break in the central corridor and the bridge is located at the front with the CIU server located beneath it. The fighter bay is located between the mess hall and the bridge, with the airlock being situated on the belly of the ship.

Most handheld weapons are still regular firearms, though energy weapons are beginning to take the stage, an evidence of this is the Gauss gun's entry into the sniper rifle category and laser rifles' entry to the assault rifle category, though laser rifles a popularly shunned by the military thanks to their lack of stopping power, and the fact that you have to hit either the heart, brain or skull to actually take out an enemy, since they cauterize the wounds as they cause them, also because they are inefficient at long range thanks to blooming.

In robotics, progress has been made technologically but not much in practice. Servos, stepper motors and electric motors are now at their peak, having a strength almost matching their tensile strength when made from steel. This offers little other than fancy prosthetic to military purposes through, as androids have yet to become nimble enough to enter the battlefield and not get shot the instant they meet an enemy.

The first nanobot was created almost half a century ago, though they are still hard to produce, and as such only serve medical purposes as of yet.

Microphones have reached the level where they rival the human ear.

Amy attempt to create a camera that scans the whole spectrum has failed and likely will continue to be impossible, as microwaves, x-waves and gamma waves still only pass through the pixels, while attempting to look at the radio and EM frequencies only results in seeing a static noise equivalent to that of an empty TV channel in the 1990s.

Nor can mechanical oscillations be read with anything other than seismometers, or microphones if they produce sound.

Yeah, real science applies here, not sci-fi quasiscience.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

Well, I was mostly being serious...If I am gonna play this game I want to make sure it is actually playable...as opposed to a mildly interactive rip off of Stargate.

"Captain Tim, the Replicators are invading again!"

"Damn, do we still have the Anti-Replicator gun we picked up in series 6?"

"You do, but they have adapted"

"Damn, I open wikipedia and check to see how O'neil defeated them."

"You rolled a success, you discover that he traveled to the Asgard homeworld (read alien crater) and set of a temporal bomb to prevent them from taking over"

"Hmmm, it says here that they failed and it went into super overdrive speed...can we fix it so that can't happen"

"No, it is impossible to deviate from the script"

You have no captain, as the CIU is in charge of the ship, you could elect one, but in order to commandeer the charge, he or she would have to be a scientist in order to convince the CIU of such.

And why would we need to convince the CIU of anything? Either is obeys orders or we work to disable it in some manner...preferably by replacing its neccessary functions before hand.

Alternatively we abandon Icarus at the earliest convienance, build a base on Mars and then stick Icarus in a hanger so we don't have to screw around with 'CIU, can we go here to colonise' 'No, you may go here, and that is it.'

The crew section is divided in four, with military personnel closest to the armory, medics near the clinic, engineers near the cargo/fabrication bay and scientists near the computer mainframe (note, not the CIU mainframe). The armory and cargo bay are near the back of the ship, the computer mainframe and the clinic is closer to the middle. The mess hall is situated as a break in the central corridor and the bridge is located at the front with the CIU server located beneath it. The fighter bay is located between the mess hall and the bridge, with the airlock being situated on the belly of the ship.

So basically no engineering? Also no Bridge...No computer interfaces except for the one mainframe? I assume toilets and such are included but not mentioned? (Its important to know if we ever get boarded)

Also, I specifically asked for a map or an image.

I don't really care if it is a line diagram with no scale, I want something I can visualise.

Also, although the map doesn't have to be to scale, I would prefer to know how large the relative rooms are, and how tall the corridors are, and all that sort of jazz.

Nor can mechanical oscillations be read with anything other than seismometers, or microphones if they produce sound.

Seismometers are fine. Also seeing the shake of walls would be a form of mechanical oscillation, or watching a generator spin. I assume it would all feed into the VISOR, either as HUD or as just a jumble of data that my character would spend several sessions learning how to sort out..

Amy attempt to create a camera that scans the whole spectrum has failed and likely will continue to be impossible, as microwaves, x-waves and gamma waves still only pass through the pixels, while attempting to look at the radio and EM frequencies only results in seeing a static noise equivalent to that of an empty TV channel in the 1990s.

Right...So filters and processes aren't possible to turn series of pixals into coherant images? Or to turn Radio and EM Frequency readings into something less than static?

You know, because translating radio messages could be as simple as a HUD which relays to the optic nerve, rather than a screen.

I imagine it would be a computer construct based on a multitude of sensors(as opposed to one Camera....), as opposed to 'vision except in radiowaves'.

It also doesn't have to be the entire spectrum...it could simple be infra-red and UV, though I would prefer the ability to see radiation, obviously =P Also microvision and the capability to analyse things.

Though really that is something that can be developed over time, I am just trying to find out what you will let us start with...or if you are gonna say 'Nope'.

Also:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synesthesia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=2IrF9qShweY#t=23s

I would suggest you watch that to get a better idea what I am thinking of. Its not the best video (Give it was made in the 1990s, and given it just basically looks at two people...later in the episode they look at a bulkhead and notice that it is hotter, ect)

The fighters are for all intents and purposes identical to F-35s, with the exception of being VTOL and working in space. The quantity of explosive weapons for them is virtually infinite, but inaccessible as they are loaded automatically after the airlock has been cleared of air and they are put back into storage before it fills again.

Yeah...Lets assume I don't know that much about the F-35...And don't really want to read through the Wikipedia page and then have you say 'No, its not that, thats different...also that...also that...Oh, and that too'

The Icarus uses an improved form of Hall effect thrusters for propulsion, but stays in orbit by using magnetic levitation to counteract up to 2G to hover within a planets gravitational reach.

And these Thrusters/Magnetic Levitation Systems are?

Also fuel stores? And what type of gas are we using Xenon?

Also what about Earnshaw's Theorem? While it does allow for serveral methods to overcome it I want to know which is being used.

Also what is powering the ship and how much power being being generated per second, verses how much fuel. Or are we running on batteries?

Most handheld weapons are still regular firearms, though energy weapons are beginning to take the stage, an evidence of this is the Gauss gun's entry into the sniper rifle category and laser rifles' entry to the assault rifle category, though laser rifles a popularly shunned by the military thanks to their lack of stopping power, and the fact that you have to hit either the heart, brain or skull to actually take out an enemy, since they cauterize the wounds as they cause them, also because they are inefficient at long range thanks to blooming.

So basically the past 100 and something years have been totally worthless? Right....

Ignoring the ridiculo-science, electrolaser, what about Hydrogen fluoride lasers? Or Chemical oxygen iodine lasers? You know, the ones that can be fired continuously for multiple minutes at a time and can cut through stainless steel like it was butter...essentially allowing us to lay down supressing fire that will cut a swash through any who are foolish enough to cross it...

Or are we going with the idea that, in the future, backpacks(To hold the chemicals) are impossible? And minaturisation has entirely bypassed laser tech? Or that the Government of the world has insisted that the only sort of lasers developed are totally unsuitable...Seriously... Assault Laser Rifles is the worst idea imaginable...Would be like developing a a fully automatic, non-recoiless (Though really even a recoiless fully automatic), sniper rifle (would be idiotic...unless it had some form of auto-multiple targeting system).

Why on earth they would develop a rapid firing laser when continous fire makes considerably more sense and can be used as a long range render, as opposed to a long range gun...which unsuprisingly they already have.

I mean, the only real advantage over a conventional assault rifle is the silent/invisible shot aspect...and really that just means you end up shooting the hell out of your own people when they run in front of you...So it makes sense that, unless you were using it for sniping (Which you have already pointed out the problem of long range laser rifles) in which case you wouldn't be using an assault rifle, the beam would also include a coloured tracer...So you are essentially making a silent assault rifle, with less distance and rendered useless by a smoke grenade.

Comparatively, a continous fire laser could burrow through smoke (inefficently yes, but still an advantage over the 'entirely impossible to shoot through' action of the assault rifle.) and apply suppressing fire perfectly. Not to mention that you can make a vast sweeping gesture and cut enemies in half, rather than wasting 15 bullets/charges shot randomly over 180 degrees.

In robotics, progress has been made technologically but not much in practice. Servos, stepper motors and electric motors are now at their peak, having a strength almost matching their tensile strength when made from steel. This offers little other than fancy prosthetic to military purposes through, as androids have yet to become nimble enough to enter the battlefield and not get shot the instant they meet an enemy.

So...Basically...Humans are entirely inadequant in the 'We need to lift this rock out of the way'... Or punching someone with enough force to break all their ribs, despite being a weedy scientist?

At the same time Androids have advanced in artifical intelligence so as to become at least as effective as an untrained solider...Essentially duplicating the Mass Effect LOKI mechs? http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/LOKI_Mech

The first nanobot was created almost half a century ago, though they are still hard to produce, and as such only serve medical purposes as of yet.

Good

Microphones have reached the level where they rival the human ear.

So they have got less powerful...Brilliant...

Seriously...Microphones are considerably better than the human ear already in terms of sensitivity, of range...I am not sure what you mean here?

...Its like saying 'Cameras are now as good as human eyes' As good at what seeing things?

And why would we need to convince the CIU of anything? Either is obeys orders or we work to disable it in some manner...preferably by replacing its neccessary functions before hand.

Alternatively we abandon Icarus at the earliest convienance, build a base on Mars and then stick Icarus in a hanger so we don't have to screw around with 'CIU, can we go here to colonise' 'No, you may go here, and that is it.'

The CIU is essentially the same as SI was, except not accessible to be tampered with by anyone, it will listen to an elected captain or the majority, or alternatively it can be tricked by a single scientist. This is to balance the game so that the military cannot seize control of the ship such as they almost immediately did in the first Space.

So basically no engineering? Also no Bridge...No computer interfaces except for the one mainframe? I assume toilets and such are included but not mentioned? (Its important to know if we ever get boarded)

Also, I specifically asked for a map or an image.

I don't really care if it is a line diagram with no scale, I want something I can visualise.

Also, although the map doesn't have to be to scale, I would prefer to know how large the relative rooms are, and how tall the corridors are, and all that sort of jazz.

Engineering is done in the cargo bay, the bridge was specifically stated to be in the front, computer terminals are accessible in each room and bay, toilets are found in each room and near the mess hall. I can't provide a map as of yet, but just imagine that the cre rooms are pretty much small hotel rooms and that the ship is minimalistic, there's only a main hallway and the rooms I have mentioned, as a whole it is only about as large as a ferry. I can't draw anything just yet, but if you imagine it as a fat, 3 story body with a 2 story head where the bridge and CIU is, you've pretty much got it.

Seismometers are fine. Also seeing the shake of walls would be a form of mechanical oscillation, or watching a generator spin. I assume it would all feed into the VISOR, either as HUD or as just a jumble of data that my character would spend several sessions learning how to sort out..

Such would be pretty much impossible to analyze, remember makind is just barely stretching out into our own solar system, we're not by far close to a really futuristic technology level.

Right...So filters and processes aren't possible to turn series of pixals into coherant images? Or to turn Radio and EM Frequency readings into something less than static?

You know, because translating radio messages could be as simple as a HUD which relays to the optic nerve, rather than a screen.

I imagine it would be a computer construct based on a multitude of sensors(as opposed to one Camera....), as opposed to 'vision except in radiowaves'.

It also doesn't have to be the entire spectrum...it could simple be infra-red and UV, though I would prefer the ability to see radiation, obviously =P Also microvision and the capability to analyse things.

Though really that is something that can be developed over time, I am just trying to find out what you will let us start with...or if you are gonna say 'Nope'

You're not going to be allowed to make something like that right away without doing anything. Infrared and UV will be permitted, but radiation, magnetic fields and radiowaves are not only impossible to process as a visual signal, but the prior is impossible to detect as a form of signal.

Yeah...Lets assume I don't know that much about the F-35...And don't really want to read through the Wikipedia page and then have you say 'No, its not that, thats different...also that...also that...Oh, and that too'
They look like F-35s and the carry the amount of stuff I said, I'm not going to go into detail about how they're wired. If you really need to know, they use hall-effect thrusters for forward thrust and regular ion thrusters for maneuvration.

And these Thrusters/Magnetic Levitation Systems are?

Also fuel stores? And what type of gas are we using Xenon?

Also what about Earnshaw's Theorem? While it does allow for serveral methods to overcome it I want to know which is being used.

Also what is powering the ship and how much power being being generated per second, verses how much fuel. Or are we running on batteries?

You levitate using electromagnetism to counteract gravity, the field actively changes to keep you stationary, meaning Earnshaw's theorem doesn't apply here.

As I said, you use Hall-effect ion thrusters, these use gasses from whatever atmospheres you enter (and survive) to refuel.

You are powered by solar power which charges an internal battery, I'm not gonna just pull a number out of my ass, so I'll just say that as long as you don't go overboard (such as with a laser beam weapon), you won't have to mind it unless you stay out of the sunlight for a week.

So basically the past 100 and something years have been totally worthless? Right....

Ignoring the ridiculo-science, electrolaser, what about Hydrogen fluoride lasers? Or Chemical oxygen iodine lasers? You know, the ones that can be fired continuously for multiple minutes at a time and can cut through stainless steel like it was butter...essentially allowing us to lay down supressing fire that will cut a swash through any who are foolish enough to cross it...

Or are we going with the idea that, in the future, backpacks(To hold the chemicals) are impossible? And minaturisation has entirely bypassed laser tech? Or that the Government of the world has insisted that the only sort of lasers developed are totally unsuitable...Seriously... Assault Laser Rifles is the worst idea imaginable...Would be like developing a a fully automatic, non-recoiless (Though really even a recoiless fully automatic), sniper rifle (would be idiotic...unless it had some form of auto-multiple targeting system).

Why on earth they would develop a rapid firing laser when continous fire makes considerably more sense and can be used as a long range render, as opposed to a long range gun...which unsuprisingly they already have.

I mean, the only real advantage over a conventional assault rifle is the silent/invisible shot aspect...and really that just means you end up shooting the hell out of your own people when they run in front of you...So it makes sense that, unless you were using it for sniping (Which you have already pointed out the problem of long range laser rifles) in which case you wouldn't be using an assault rifle, the beam would also include a coloured tracer...So you are essentially making a silent assault rifle, with less distance and rendered useless by a smoke grenade.

Comparatively, a continous fire laser could burrow through smoke (inefficently yes, but still an advantage over the 'entirely impossible to shoot through' action of the assault rifle.) and apply suppressing fire perfectly. Not to mention that you can make a vast sweeping gesture and cut enemies in half, rather than wasting 15 bullets/charges shot randomly over 180 degrees.

A laser such as those you mentioned there would have to charge for several minutes just to fire once, there's no way to weaponize it at this level of technology. If you want a reason for research not having been put into that, read the first sentence if the intro.

So...Basically...Humans are entirely inadequant in the 'We need to lift this rock out of the way'... Or punching someone with enough force to break all their ribs, despite being a weedy scientist?

At the same time Androids have advanced in artifical intelligence so as to become at least as effective as an untrained solider...Essentially duplicating the Mass Effect LOKI mechs? http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/LOKI_Mech

Androids have advanced enough movement to be as efficient in combat as poodles with guns taped on their backs. You can't even use them to zerg rush, if you're lucky the weight of the mass of android husks might just crush an enemy or two to death.

Seriously...Microphones are considerably better than the human ear already in terms of sensitivity, of range...I am not sure what you mean here?

...Its like saying 'Cameras are now as good as human eyes' As good at what seeing things?

They can be either, here they can be as good as both. You know how one microphone can only take either whisperin, talking or shouting, and how the sound just spazzes if you breathe on it? Here an all-round microphone treats sound like the human ear does, it can take as wide a breadth of amplitudes of sounds as the human ear, for something extremely low however, you still need a specialized microphone.

Remember, this is still in the 3rd millennium. The first quarter of it in fact.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

In all due respect, Archi, Mather, please refrain from writing huge, complicated, and informative posts that seem to be debating with another's post.

I understand long complicated posts are needed to play the game (ex: historical events leading up to current year/star date) but arguing about/ debating on what others say is unnessessary.

Please and thankyou.

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

Former moderator of the original Dungeoneering

Former moderator of Ye Olde Hegemony

Moderator of the remake of Dungeoneering

Former Empress of the Lichten Empire (Hegemony)

Former President of the United States (Hegemony)

Former Emporer of Imperial Japan (Hegemony)

Czarina Catherine of Imperial Russia (Hegemony

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

Its not exactly nitpickery when someone asks:

'Can I have a map?'

'Here is an explaination of the ship'

'Can I have a map?'

'Can't be bothered, try to imagine it'

You levitate using electromagnetism to counteract gravity, the field actively changes to keep you stationary, meaning Earnshaw's theorem doesn't apply here.

As I said, you use Hall-effect ion thrusters, these use gasses from whatever atmospheres you enter (and survive) to refuel.

You are powered by solar power which charges an internal battery, I'm not gonna just pull a number out of my ass, so I'll just say that as long as you don't go overboard (such as with a laser beam weapon), you won't have to mind it unless you stay out of the sunlight for a week.

Doesn't answer the question of WHERE the thrusters and maglev system actually is...

And I see we are going for the psudeo science approach of 'There is AN energy amount'

The CIU is essentially the same as SI was, except not accessible to be tampered with by anyone, it will listen to an elected captain or the majority, or alternatively it can be tricked by a single scientist. This is to balance the game so that the military cannot seize control of the ship such as they almost immediately did in the first Space.

Yeah...I can no possible flaw in a non-trickable-trickable computer system...Probably about as sensible as putting a large red button on the Scientist's forehead marked 'In case of disagreement press here to evacuate all air'.

Such would be pretty much impossible to analyze, remember makind is just barely stretching out into our own solar system, we're not by far close to a really futuristic technology level.

We haven't managed to develop a way to minaturise what we can already do?

I mean, correct me if I am wrong, but transcievers already exist, microphones, sismographs, infrared detectors, uv detectors, gamma-ray detectors, radio wave detectors...all exist already...

Its true that connecting them to the optic nerve has yet to be done, but I would imagine that some progress has been made in the past 130 years...Or is this game going to be 'Like now, only set in the future, where all the theories I believe have been proved right'?

Also, I believe I asked for puzzles so I could actually start researching stuff...I guess thats something else you are ignoring.

A laser such as those you mentioned there would have to charge for several minutes just to fire once, there's no way to weaponize it at this level of technology. If you want a reason for research not having been put into that, read the first sentence if the intro.

So the Government has spent its time developing a Gauss powered Sniper Rifle, while no progress at all has been made in lasers....

Despite the fact that the US Government was testing lasers that were used as anti-missile defences on aircraft....

The year is 2160, and once, world peace had finally become a reality, but then in 2134 North Korea set its eyes for the sky.

"Its the future, and in the future no one bothered developing any weapons because in 2012 world peace was declared"? So...What? Either we go off on some totally impossible tangent of the social scientists 'Everyone suddenly becomes really friendly and all the issues people have with other people are resolved instantly'? Or your statement is entirely meaningless because Laser Technology, as described is ALREADY possible...Any progress would simply be a matter of minaturisation....Something you have already said is possible through the farciscal laser assault rifle...

Androids have advanced enough movement to be as efficient in combat as poodles with guns taped on their backs. You can't even use them to zerg rush, if you're lucky the weight of the mass of android husks might just crush an enemy or two to death.

The android is incapable of going 'Hostile. Run [List of commands to raise arm, point at the hostile, and depress the trigger'?

I mean, automated guns...merely sensors with guns attached...can manage to do that...It doesn't exactly require a great deal of technological prowess...the Ancients were making booby traps to exploit exactly that thousands of years ago.

Are you saying that Androids like that would innevitably just shoot everyone? Because IFFs are not some future tech, they have existed for decades.

They can be either, here they can be as good as both. You know how one microphone can only take either whisperin, talking or shouting, and how the sound just spazzes if you breathe on it? Here an all-round microphone treats sound like the human ear does, it can take as wide a breadth of amplitudes of sounds as the human ear, for something extremely low however, you still need a specialized microphone.

Oh amazing....Over the past 130 years we have learned how to defy physics?

I suppose you know that the Human ear strains to hear whispers, and if you subsequently shout it causes pain to the listener...It is true that the Human Ear can be somewhat variable in its approach, but that is merely because it is a peice of sloppy organic engineering which doesn't operate at its full capacity all the time, as well as being exposed to a vast amount of post-processing in the brain.

A microphone, comparatively, can pick up the same breadth of sound as the Human Ear...There isn't pain, there is limited noise disortion...which is present within the Human Ear in the same way as being able to hear something, but not understand what is being said.

Thus far the game just seems to be a series of handwaves 'There is AN amount of energy', 'Androids have been downgraded over the last hundred and thirty years', 'Gauss Sniper Rifles have been developed despite the sizable energy constraints placed on firing a peice of metal at speed, but lasers haven't been developed because of the sizable energy constraints placed on it', 'The ship levitates by an electromagnet. The Earth's magnetic field ranges from between 0.25 Gauss to 1 Gauss, other planets had substantively weaker/stronger fields. Yet, though the application of an apparently smallish magnet, and a reasonably small amount of energy, it is possible to defy about 19 meters per second of gravity, excerted againt a ship of not inconsiderable mass...And this, apparently, is not psudoscience.', 'World peace is declared, yet North Korea, a country continually on the edge of famine, has decided to explore space with the help of China...a country that is grossly overpopulated... throughout this the United States and Europe has complacently sat by, doing nothing for just under 30 years. Oh, but thats right, world peace has made these countries entirely neglect thier military machines...Surely America's Industrial heartland requires 25 years to pick up the phone, call Norway for some jet fighters...which have been developed because there is world peace and all military research has stopped...and then build a spartan ship.'

There isn't a coherant idea there...It would make considerably more sense to set the game in 2015...Over the past 3 years China has decided to colonise Mars (Cause, you know, why not...). An American iniative, funded partly by NATO, has drawn together many countries in a different attempt to colonise Mars (you know...by sending 1 ship to mars and no colonists...) The push has allowed for a new type of engine to be developed, combining Hall Effect Thrusters and Magnetic Levitation, by NATO, which has given them a temporary advantage against more conventional Hall Effect Thrusters, allowing them to catch up to China's mission, launched 2 years earlier. Or...you know...have it so that there are cryogenics, so the year is 2025, but the only technology we have avaliable is from 2015...or something along those lines.

It reads as a much more likely than 'In the semi-distant future, nothing has changed, except there are Gauss Guns and a mission to Mars. Oh, and World Peace...Except that NATO still exists and sees China as a threat...'

Still gonna play, but you really need to buck up your ideas because saying 'There will be no psuedo science' and then doing a bunch of psuedo science spoils the game...Similarly playing a game that doesn't make much sense isn't fun...

Ok, you've genuinely pissed me off with your forced ignorance.

Let me repeat myself THIS IS NOT THE [bleep]ING FAR FUTURE! WE'RE JUST REACHING INTO SPACE! MICROSCOPIC FUSION REACTORS ARE NOT A THING THAT [bleep]ING EXIST, NOR ARE LASERS THAT ONLY NEED A FEW MILLIJOULES OF POWER TO CLEAVE A MAN IN HALF!

There's no way to create anything that allows your brain to interpret radio signals, because you know, if it could then your head would already be full of a deafening and blinding static that would drive you [bleep]ing insane! Radio signals induct electricity into conductors, your brain is a mess of organic conductors, do the math. There's a reason exposure to high powered radio signals is said to cause brain damage. As for radiation, the things that detect those are called geiger counters, they can only measure the intensity, nothing else, and they're hyper-sensitive. If you were to wear one of those on your head, and it detected something that wasn't pressed up against it, your vital organs would already be in the process of shutting down.

Gauss rifles exist as sniper rifles, because there you can take some time in between shots, and becasuse making an electromagnet propel a chunk of metal at high velocity does not even require a fraction of the energy it takes to sustain a high-powered laser, much less one that has an output far into the Giga-, if not Terrawatts.

And no, there's no [bleep]ing way I'm going to calculate the size of the ships battery, because knowing that will only lead you back to what I said, it can power whatever you need as long as it's not [bleep]ing huge.

And since I have to spell it out for you, the thruster is, believe it or not, at the very aft end of the ship (big surprise), and the maglev is built into the hull, because, you know, where else could it possibly be without tearing all equipment inside the ship apart?

And no, robots aren't stupid, nor are they slow, they are just not [bleep]ing gymnasts, as it is we're having trouble making one that can walk on two legs without falling, making it capable of picking up a gun is worse, making it capable of aiming and firing is damn near impossible. What you're saying is "we had cars in 1880, so why can't our cars watch our kids, wake us up in the morning and go earn their own money to pay for the gas?"

There's a thing called having a concept of time, you, apparently, do not have it. You're insulting the field of electronics with this belief of yours that one and a third century is pretty much the same as a millennium of intense research.

And no, I'm not giving you puzzles before the game even starts. Heck, I never even said that I could guarantee them at all, I implied rather heavily to the contrary in fact.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

My suggested amendments:

The year is 2050 as opposed to 2160, I think that based on the technology avaliable it would support this timeframe better. 2160 IS the far future and much of the technology described exists and only need implementation (Gauss rifles, Basic androids) and the things you described that have not yet reached a stage of implementation (Human-Machine interface, Magnetic Levitation) are likely to be coming a lot faster than 2160, especially with world peace.

By 2050, Earth has made significant leaps in medical and computing technology.

Head transplants have helped to aid massive leaps in medical technology.

"The transplantation of a human head was conducted on 7th March 2019 after numerous animal trials. By 2023 the transplantations of heads has become extremely popular medically as the patients body no longer requires anesthesia and can 'die' multiple times without risk of brain-death. The use of head transplants has also given medical scientists an insight into the severing and reattachment of nerves by use of stem cells"

Head transplant information

"Relevent information to prove it is possible"

Chemically induced suspended animation has allowed travel to planets outside of the solar system a possibility. While in suspended animation, humans theoretically will be able to last indefinetly.

Genetic engineering has become commonplace, many of the worlds food comes from genetically engineered produce and meat. The ship relys on 'brainless animals' with maximised meat production for the purposes of efficiency.

- achieved by breeeding.

Genetically modified chicken - of course on the ship these are larger and they're born without a brain, their functions are controlled by CUI in 'The Farm'

Rapid tissue growth has led to human cloning which allows 'revivement' of humans taking only around three hours providing a supercomputer has access to their data. The clone must be sedated to avoid pain from the extremely rapid growth so post revivement sickness (PRS) can occur, alternatively a person can choose not to undergo sedation and recieve a fear effect for the rest of the session.

CUI is a modification of the current leading AI project, it is capable of independent thought and moral choice. CUI controls all aspects of the ship: Oxygen supply, Water recycling, Room management and such. CUI also controls the residents of the ship under three hardcoded directives in the order 1,2,3

1.) The mission to mars will be sucesssful.

2.) All information must be shared with crewmembers when asked.

3.) The crewmembers are above me in priority, my being is not important if it contradicts any of the crewmembers.

CUI does not know of these.

CUI is contained in the ships bridge (as previously said). Its character can be modified by a scientist, it can be given orders and tricked. Engineers can make changes however they are massive changes due to not having the subtletly a scientist has.

A scientist can make both minor personality changes and modifications.

An engineer can only make significant and obvious changes.

A reset button is provided but this wipes all previously known data, the CUI loses all information from the mission. The reset button is encoded and is hard to use.

qTLQRuS.png

I think that it would be nice if the game was designed beforehand, instead of having a case of Schrodinger's game.

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

Not really; I can't imagine the colonization of Mars happening in my time, and I'm actually going to be working with space-related projects.

And yeah, yeah, you can say the Gauss gun is technology we have today, but it's already 95 years since its inventor died, science moves slowly, the only exception is the computer.

Retech, the game was ready, still is, nothing has changed. I think this was just Archi trying (and failing spectacularly) to parody me.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

Not really; I can't imagine the colonization of Mars happening in my time, and I'm actually going to be working with space-related projects.

And yeah, yeah, you can say the Gauss gun is technology we have today, but it's already 95 years since its inventor died, science moves slowly, the only exception is the computer.

Obviously you're forgetting about world peace which results in financial prosperity due to more economic movement. A space race isn't likely to happen but in the lore you described it will happen. You gave two reasons as to why it would be accelerated.

Yes, you are correct in saying that technology moves slowly but technology moves quickly in times of need. The tank obviously was improved drastically during the second world war, as the railgun is during a period of tensions with an extremely technologically advanced country.

The restriction of players in any sense is stupid, instead of restricting the players maybe you should restrict CUI's power. Any sort of 'for the purpose of balance' restrictions are just annoying. You should be able to do ANYTHING based on what happens, not on 'balancing the game'.

--

Regardless, session tommorow?

qTLQRuS.png

I meant the inclusion/exclusion of puzzles. :thumbup:

They may have been implemented for balance, but they still make sense, here the scientists double as programmers, which means they know the logical traps and such with which to gain an advantage when it comes to conversing with AIs.

And no, the CUI isn't overpowered, it's just that it's the brain of the ship, if you nerf the CUI, you nerf the ship, and in essence the game itself.

Retech, the puzzles were always a matter of if I can come up with any, I made that clear long ago.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

It could be the fact that Archi is trying to make sense of things. But.. I've lost a lot of the interest to play this already and the game hasn't even started. That is a bad sign.

FaladorTavern.png

[/hide]

I had Mather kinda explain it to me in simpler terms. If he's willing, maybe Mather will just post a simplified version of the first post. And in all due respect, just try and see it from his point of view.

And don't knock the game until after the first session.

AND PLEASE DON'T MAKE ME THE LAST PLAYER PLAYING THIS GAME!!!!!!