Elder scrolls mmorpg

I think Elder Scrolls biggest failing by far is going for the outright subscription format, especially with such a high price and an upfront buying the game cost.

The market is dominated by freemium now for a reason - people can find other games for free easily instead of paying for yours when they have no idea what'll be like. Not to mention all told it is kinda a mediocre standard MMORPG with an elder scrolls 'skin' to it - noting in it feels particularly worth the cost in terms of gameplay its just the same as a whole heap of other free games offer.

If it went freemium it'd probably do quite well a flourish, but that price for a meh generic mmorpg that just looks a bit like skyrim etc. is not worth it in my book.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

To me, subscription rather than freemium is a massive bonus. I doubt I will ever get over how much I don't like freemium (I do play a couple freemium games, but if there were pure subscription alternatives, I'd almost certainly go for those instead). That said, pricy game.

Only went through one beta session, one of the later ones. I have to figure that if I played WoW, I'd probably find the games similar (I've seen WoW, just never played it myself). Perhaps the biggest issue for me, and this crops up in most games except for WoW (unless there is something in the story I missed, which is likely), is that I don't feel like there should be other people just like you. One of the reasons I don't rarely play a RuneScape quest on release day is because seeing other people doing the quest is immersion shattering. If I'm some special hero, why can I throw a rock in virtually any corner of the map and find 10 more just like me. The story for the ElderScrolls online also dictate that one the one hand I am a unique person with a unique destiny, and on the other hand, the world is just lousy with other people on the exact same mission. My understanding with WoW was always that it was rather short on the story quests, and set up so that the other players were the actual other inhabitants of the world rather than asking the player to run around a world that is being overlapped by a million parallel worlds.

And if not, someone needs to make an MMORPG like that, where the existence of other players is never something you should feel has to be ignored.

All in all, it was a neat game, and I certainly enjoyed it. But right now, there is no room in my life for another of this type of game, especially not at that price.

I don't see whats so wrong with freemium done right. I mean Runescape has been running freemium since the day members launched and that's a nice model.

The only defining feature of freemium is that the basic offering is provided free of charge and then there's some for of extra you can pay for - be it in-game purchases/cash shop or a subscription to a higher membership tier. The free + subscription tier style freemium is kinda the basic form most of the big hitters in mmorpg (that aren't entirely free) run these days.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I don't generally think of the two tierd subscription model (free and not) when people say freemium. I think of games like Starport Galactic Empires and World of Tanks. Beyond any issues of fairness (the former game is the epitome of pay to win, which is why I haven't thought about it in a long time), I find the premium shop games (which is what I usually think of when people say freemium) I find they are extremely expensive. I don't begrudge people trying to turn a profit, but when a game wants $15 per month subscription plus extras, my first urge is to gag.

So if all that was meant was a two tier subscription, I take it back. I thought it meant they were opening up a premium shop.

To me, subscription rather than freemium is a massive bonus. I doubt I will ever get over how much I don't like freemium (I do play a couple freemium games, but if there were pure subscription alternatives, I'd almost certainly go for those instead). That said, pricy game.

Only went through one beta session, one of the later ones. I have to figure that if I played WoW, I'd probably find the games similar (I've seen WoW, just never played it myself). Perhaps the biggest issue for me, and this crops up in most games except for WoW (unless there is something in the story I missed, which is likely), is that I don't feel like there should be other people just like you. One of the reasons I don't rarely play a RuneScape quest on release day is because seeing other people doing the quest is immersion shattering. If I'm some special hero, why can I throw a rock in virtually any corner of the map and find 10 more just like me. The story for the ElderScrolls online also dictate that one the one hand I am a unique person with a unique destiny, and on the other hand, the world is just lousy with other people on the exact same mission. My understanding with WoW was always that it was rather short on the story quests, and set up so that the other players were the actual other inhabitants of the world rather than asking the player to run around a world that is being overlapped by a million parallel worlds.

And if not, someone needs to make an MMORPG like that, where the existence of other players is never something you should feel has to be ignored.

All in all, it was a neat game, and I certainly enjoyed it. But right now, there is no room in my life for another of this type of game, especially not at that price.

most mmos are doing stuff like that, w/phasing players into their own zones for certain quest lines (where you act as a large deciding factor) and etc (wow is the big one who does this) and instanced storyline quests (guild wars 2, maybe swtor?). most mmos i've played now lean towards you being a cog in the machine, a powerful p. notable one, but a cog nonetheless.

it's so weird eso didn't do something like that, especially with so many factions and etc available to pull from.

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men

I guess one cannot expect the whole TES series experience be transferred over to the ESO, because of its genre as a MMORPG. The complication that arise as soon as you put more than one player into the quest situation means that the world and the NPCs no longer centre around you (especially in Oblivion and Skyrim). While the presence of other players does take away a bit of self-immersion in the settings, it does reflect the MMO element of the game. The presence of a bartering system of trade as it is in the beta, group dungeons and the guild/group systems, also encourage player to player interaction; although they are not necessarily integrated with the rest of the lore, they do in some way resemble the buying/selling, hiring follower and the guild elements of TES. In effect, ZOS has made an attempt to implement the solo-play, RPG element of TES into the MMORPG; and the result is not bad. I think the takeaway point is that one should play ESO as a MMORPG as opposed to just a solo-play RPG because of the aforementioned elements. As with post above, I feel that there are things that ZOS could have done to make ESO stand out a bit more, rather than just being another MMORPG..and with a premium-priced subscription.

'Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.' T.S. Eliot

Doesn't look immersive like the other games.

Would have rather seen a Skyrim multiplayer game mode like was done with Mass Effect 3..

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

• 1 month later...

Early access started around 20 hours ago. Good fun. They managed to change some of the tutorial and starting areas - different from the last beta. But all in all, nice changes. Still bugs around but for a game like this and the developer perhaps, that's not particularly surprising.

To anyone who doesn't know...you can still get the Explorer's Pack before the official launch on 4th April, but it will no longer be available after that. (The key differential for this pack is that it allows you the opportunity to play in any alliance regardless of race choice)

But if you have bought the standard digital edition, you can still purchase an upgrade to the Imperial edition at any time. (The key differentials here are the addition of a free horse (it actually costs 1 gp), and the ability to choose to be of the Imperial race and join any of the three alliances)

• 10 months later...

Just some news on ESO for anyone interested.

Console coming on June 9th.

Source:

http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-gb/news/post/2015/01/21/eso-heads-to-consoles-june-9th

ESO-Tamriel Unlimited - core game being re-launched on March 17th. New system: You pay for core game, then you can play without subscription fee. You can opt to pay for individual additional contents (called DLCs) to play in, or to pay a lump sum monthly fee to get access to all of them. Very similar to the GW2 system.

Source:

http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-gb/news/post/2015/01/21/your-guide-to-eso-plus-premium-membership

Update 1.6 consisting of the first part of the Champion System and Justice System, new provisioning mechanics and class and skill re-balance  and some smaller tweaks is now up on PTS. Expected to go live in 6 weeks, coinciding with the ESO re-launch.

• 3 weeks later...

Every MMORPG should have one npc who knows he's in a game, like the bartender in the blue moon inn in Varrock. Glad to know ESO has one of these guys too. I wonder if WoW does.