Vegas cant open avi file?

Miner_Guy

I have Sony Vegas Pro 10 and i am trying to import an avi file into it but it wont work. It comes up with an error message saying "an error occurred while opening a codec". I looked it up on the internet and there werent any real clear solutions. They mostly said to download a program, but i dont really want to have to do that. Is there any way i can import it doing something else, like converting it? Or do i have to download something, if so what?

SUPER.gif

It depends what codec the avi file is using.

If it's one the Sony Vegas entirely does not support and conversion via some other software will be required.

If it just a codec you don;t have installed you just need to find a codec pack with it in.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

It depends what codec the avi file is using.

If it's one the Sony Vegas entirely does not support and conversion via some other software will be required.

If it just a codec you don;t have installed you just need to find a codec pack with it in.

You know any free good video converters?

SUPER.gif

What converters are good entirely depends on the codecs involved and whether they support them.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I know it isn't what you want to do, but if you do give downloading a codec pack a shot, this one has been brilliant for me. To me, it would seem like a much simpler (And much faster!) solution to just enable your computer to be able to understand the files. I'm not sure how this would work with pro though (I use it for the benefit of WMP, which is stupidly limited in what it can play). http://www.free-codecs.com/download/k_lite_codec_pack.htm

I know it isn't what you want to do, but if you do give downloading a codec pack a shot, this one has been brilliant for me. To me, it would seem like a much simpler (And much faster!) solution to just enable your computer to be able to understand the files. I'm not sure how this would work with pro though (I use it for the benefit of WMP, which is stupidly limited in what it can play). http://www.free-codecs.com/download/k_lite_codec_pack.htm

I used to use the K-lite codec pack until someone here suggested CCCP, which I found to be much better than k-lite.

Bad codec packs would, but good ones do nothing of the sort.

Good codec packs just allow you to play/edit more video and sound files.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

How do codec packs work Do you just install it then it should do everything for you? Or do you have to toggle settings? Becuase i have installed various codecs and i havent touched anything and the video still cant be imported

SUPER.gif