Saving RS: Prestige System

IdkWhatsRc

God no.

Resetting a skill and gaining a meaningless 'prestige' number doesn't bring any new progress. It brings repetition. It doesn't bring something 'new' to do; it makes you redo that which you already did for no good reason.

The gap between noob and top player isn't an issue; it's a natural factor of what those two groups are and it's not like it's a gaping hole where you are one or the other, it's a spectrum through which you grow from one to the other. And it is utterly false to say the 'average player' is the same thing as a 'top player' just from my personal experience I'd say the average player has most stats in the 50-70 region with a few higher subject to their play style; top players are those who sit down and grind out maxing to be the best level possible at everything.

As for the economic things I think thats already a flawed argument. For one thing better gear that is rarer will ALWAYS be in higher demand, nothing will change that. For another thing many items such as food and armours have already had their demand greatly equalised due to what EoC has done, I mean food now all the fish are saleable because they serve different groups. Level-my-x is just going to further this where we gain the potential for a lower item we've used a lot to be a better tool to us than upgrading to the next tier.

Plus there are plenty of perfectly feasible ways for noobs to make good money; they may not be the fastest ways but thats to be expected when your not maxed. Plus 'good money' is entirely subjective to what costs you have, when you are a noob and ur best gear costs like 500k for a set like 70k gp:hr is good money.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Moved to RuneScape Suggestions.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

Jagex wants the call of duty audience :/

You do realise that the video is suggesting a Prestige system? This isn't an actual idea from Jagex.

OT:

This is a very basic 'solution' to extending the playability of RuneScape. I know the system works well in Call of Duty but there are numerous factors that make it work there which are all a result of careful design and implementation from the word the get go.

I find it difficult to believe that many players would take advantage of such a system. If you take into account the cost of designing, developing and testing the content against the benefits... it hardly seems worthwhile.

Also, there are other ways to go! Diablo II's end game content was so well made that it survived years without change and was still being played, whose to say that isn't the future of RuneScape?

-- 2001 Starter --

moki.png

Could work, if enough people buy into it.

The problem with this game and most MMOs is that the eventually there isn't anybody around but high levels and twinks.

I definitely find runescape to have progressed into this latter stage of the life cycle.

To runescape's credit it has made it 10 years before stagnating.

Eventually, they are going to run out of alternative ways to milk the diehard loyal players.

Then the updates stop and then RIP servers and then RIP game.

I'm sure Jagex has probably thought about it.

Afterall, over on funorb they have that wizards game which has a prestige system.

I think as a last resort they should try it.

I'd like to see some kind of cosmetic rewards for prestige in game awards like emblems or fancier skill capes.

I don't think you change the high score system. You can use prestige level when figuring ranking of two people with identical scores.

Frankly, If you reset then back to 0 you go in everything including quests.

You should get a weeks grace period whereby you can petition to have your account "un-reset" for those with buyers remorse.

But, none of this is going to work if the bots still rule.

Free trade needs to be cut off and the bots need to go.

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

I don't think that would work because there would be no point to prestige. If someone bragged they had a lot prestige in a skill, who cares. Only way I see this working is if there was a reward of some sort for getting prestige. Either cosmetic, a special ability, or basically anything that signifies your achievement, a number on a highscore page won't cut it.

Before 99 capes were introduced the reaction to 99 skills was pretty much "nice, but pointless". Not much people got 99s back then, there was no carrot.

2480+ total

Could work, if enough people buy into it.

The problem with this game and most MMOs is that the eventually there isn't anybody around but high levels and twinks.

I definitely find runescape to have progressed into this latter stage of the life cycle.

To runescape's credit it has made it 10 years before stagnating.

Eventually, they are going to run out of alternative ways to milk the diehard loyal players.

Then the updates stop and then RIP servers and then RIP game.

I'm sure Jagex has probably thought about it.

Afterall, over on funorb they have that wizards game which has a prestige system.

I think as a last resort they should try it.

I'd like to see some kind of cosmetic rewards for prestige in game awards like emblems or fancier skill capes.

I don't think you change the high score system. You can use prestige level when figuring ranking of two people with identical scores.

Frankly, If you reset then back to 0 you go in everything including quests.

You should get a weeks grace period whereby you can petition to have your account "un-reset" for those with buyers remorse.

But, none of this is going to work if the bots still rule.

Free trade needs to be cut off and the bots need to go.

Yes, there would be cosmetic rewards for those who prestige.

Actually, right now, there is no point to train a skill past 99 except for HIghscore ranks. With the Prestige system, there will be still somewhat no point to it except to show off but at least you will feel like you're progressing.

Uhh no. Skillcapes ruined the game. This would only add fuel to the fire that they created, just like the max/comp capes did.

The reason why such a system works in Call of Duty is because it's a fun game to play; prestige is a bonus side-effect of the gameplay. In Runescape, it's the other way around. It's a boring game and people grind for levels, hoping that their achievements will somehow justify the lack of fun they had working towards them.

• Like 3

77yLQy8.png

I'm pretty sure new players think that average player is way much worse than it actually is. I'm also pretty sure that most maxed players think average player is much better than it really is. New player wont see comp capers everywhere. They use nooby training methods with other noobies and they compare their status/progress with similiar players. Maxed or even players with +2000 total don't kill cows or even cut yew. Besides, that's not even major problem. 1st moneymaking method I can remember is killing goblins, reaching 100gp felt nice. What if you see 100k on Sof, or 200m? Would it feel good anymore? No. Why work hard for money if you can just wait until you're lucky enough. 1m is big money for long time. Shame you can buy it for 35cents or something which is nothing. Many monemaking methods which used to be good are now ruined by bots. Who wants to play game with robots? No one. Many low level player probably founds flower games only good way to make cash. If you happen to lose you may just stop playing, or tend to make cash back and try again, gambling is very addicting tho. If you happen to win, other people feel their wealth devalued because you got same so easily. And you got way too much cash without knoweledge how to make it. You will eventually need more so you'll be gambling again, most likely you lose. Trust me, using your "secret" method to make 200k/hr is not fun anymore after you made 100m in hr once. I've had few friends who couldnt find pvm fun anymore because they once won 2b+. Getting a bcp drop isn't same anymore.

Removing free trade would be good solution. No bots, no gamble, no RWT. If someone has a partyhat, he is professional mercher/flipper or did countless hours of pvm.

If someone has a partyhat now, he is most likely flower host, lucky staker, bought it for real world money, has 50 frost dragon bots, phiser or something like that.

Gap between low and high level moneymaking methods would decrease. Also removing daily/bought spins would help, new players would want to skill to get tickets instead of waiting new day or making new account ect.

Hope my post wasn't too painful to read. I'm tired and english isnt my first language.

Th_Heretic.png

2425_zps35ff81f1.png

Removing free trade would be good solution.

Why damage part of the game just to hinder someone else?

From the empty days of hope, deny the darkness
Follow my voice, we'll run far away from here

If only to hide, to escape this life
And live forever, forever in the sun

Uhh no. Skillcapes ruined the game. This would only add fuel to the fire that they created, just like the max/comp capes did.

The reason why such a system works in Call of Duty is because it's a fun game to play; prestige is a bonus side-effect of the gameplay. In Runescape, it's the other way around. It's a boring game and people grind for levels, hoping that their achievements will somehow justify the lack of fun they had working towards them.

Yeah, the game definitely feels boring to everybody.

• 10 months later...

Very misleading, considering the prestige system has been canceled.

Also quite bad to be needlessly necroing a post that is nearly a year dead just to post an already out-of-date link.

• Like 1

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Also quite bad to be needlessly necroing a post that is nearly a year dead just to post an already out-of-date link.

Dat irony. Present in this post too, of course.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Also quite bad to be needlessly necroing a post that is nearly a year dead just to post an already out-of-date link.

Well we aren't necroing the thread because it had been less than a day since the previous post; the thread was not dead at the time we posted.

Also quite bad to be needlessly necroing a post that is nearly a year dead just to post an already out-of-date link.

Well we aren't necroing the thread because it had been less than a day since the previous post; the thread was not dead at the time we posted.

If a necro was pointless you don't have to add to it - report the post to a moderator and move along.

Whoops, there I go again. Anyway your post wasn't the bad one lol.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

There's no need to get worked up over my innocent mistake.  I didn't know it had been cancelled, after just getting back I'm out of touch.  And thank you for the education but I understand what necroing is.  Just move on...
  • Like 1

Want to help the Tip.It Crew? Visit the Website Updates & Corrections forum!