Tip.It's Favourite Movies

Crocefisso

Pretty self explanatory title. I've searched for a thread about best/favourite movies and haven't found one, so do lock this if there's an old one floating about in the ether.

I was wondering essentially what people's favourite movies are, and whether Tip.It users lean towards certain genres/directors/actors over others?

For my part, I would probably list The Godfather as my favourite film of all time, closely followed in joint second by Once Upon a Time in the West and Tokyo Story, with a lot of other good films a little way behind in no particular order (The Usual Suspects, The Last Emperor, Live Flesh, La Dolce Vita etc.)

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

The Princess Bride

Mulan (Disney version)

Monsters, Inc.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Pirates of the Caribbean (2nd is best, but any and all but the 4th - still good, not a favorite though)

The Aristocats (Disney)

The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Pt 1 and Pt 2

My most favorite movies of all time, probably.

The Princess Bride

Mulan (Disney version)

Monsters, Inc.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Pirates of the Caribbean (2nd is best, but any and all but the 4th - still good, not a favorite though)

The Aristocats (Disney)

The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Pt 1 and Pt 2

My most favorite movies of all time, probably.

It is a relief to see that someone actually likes the second one. I thought I was the only one.

Serenity (duh :P)

Four Rooms

Clerks I & II

Princess Bride (is there anyone who doesn't like this movie?)

Aliens

The General's Daughter (the scenes with John Travolta and James Woods trying to outmaneuver each other are brilliant)

Afro Samurai and Afro Samurai: Resurrection (the artwork is absolutely gorgeous)

That's just off the top of my head. There's probably more.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

• Lord of the Rings trilogy
  • Basically anything by Pixar
  • The Dark Knight & The Dark Knight Rises
  • The Avengers
  • The A-Team
  • and like a million others..

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

Well, since this will no doubt turn into an American films circle-jerk, I'll add some international films that anyone who is as snobby as I am about films would enjoy. Directors are in [brackets].

Russia/USSR

Stalker [Andrei Tarkovsky] (1979) One of the most profound films I have ever seen. Tarkovsky's influence is unmistakable in so many great directors.

Solaris [Andrei Tarkovsky] (1972)

Ivan's Childhood [Andrei Tarkovsky] (1962)

The Return [Andrey Zvyagintsev] (2003)

The Banishment [Andrey Zvyagintsev] (2007)

France

Breathless [Jean-Luc Godard] (1960)

Contempt [Jean-Luc Godard] (1963)

Jacquot de Nantes [Agnes Varda and Jacques Demy] (1991)

Leon: The Professional [Luc Besson] (1994)

The Artist [Michel Hazanavicius] (2011) There's a reason it is the first French film to win Best Picture at the Oscars and have the first French Best Actor AND the first silent film since 1929 (the 1st Academy Awards) to win Best Picture. It's that good.

Germany

The Lives of Others [Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck] (2006)

Metropolis [Fritz Lang] (1927)

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari [Robert Wiene] (1920)

Turkey

Once upon a Time in Anatolia [Nuri Bilge Ceylan] (2011)

Distant [Nuri Bilge Ceylan] (2003)

(Turkey has a rapidly expanding film industry, and Ceylan is a huge part of it. His films are bleak but full of redemption)

Israel

The Band's Visit [Eran Kolirin] (2007) A film about an Egyptian military band lost in the middle of nowhere in Israel on the way to a cultural event. One of my all time favorite films. Very funny and also has a serious Jewish-Arabic cultural commentary.

Footnote [Joseph Cedar] (2011)

Italy

8 1/2 [Federico Fellini] (1963) Really any film by Fellini is a treat to watch.

We Have a Pope [Nanni Moretti] (2011)

Canada

The Fly [David Cronenburg] (1986)

A History of Violence [David Cronenburg] (2005)

Spain

The Skin I Live in [Pedro Almodovar] (2011)

And to end the list, I'll put some American films in that I really enjoy. I enjoy many more movies by each director, but I'll only put one by each to try to get as many directors out there as I can.

Casablanca [Michael Curtiz] (1942)

Escape from New York [John Carpenter] (1981)

The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou [Wes Anderson] (2004)

Magnolia [Paul Thomas Anderson] (1999)

Lawrence of Arabia [David Lean] (1962)--I know it's British.

Mulholland Drive [David Lynch] (2001)

Reservoir Dogs [Quentin Tarantino] (1992)

Days of Heaven [Terence Malick] (1978) Same guy who directed the controversial 2011 film Tree of Life

Apocalypse Now [Francis Ford Coppola] (1979)

Goodfellas [Martin Scorsese] (1990)

Black Swan [Darren Aronofsky] (2010)

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

Am a real movie fanatic, so very hard to narrow it down, but in general:

-The Station Agent (Favorite Movie Of All time)

-The Lord Of The Rings: Return of The King

-21 Jump Street

-Role Models

-The Words

-The Fast And Furious: Tokyo Drift

-Underworld

-Horrible Bosses

-Blades Of Glory

-The Other Guys

-The Social Network

-Anchorman

-Zombieland

-The Dark Knight

-Ted

Just the ones I can think of at the moment, I am sure there are more :P

o4qq.png

My Pure F2P Blog: CLICK ME

6th Maintainer of the Pure F2P Highscores / The Top 250 F2P Skill Total Lists : May 16th, 2012 - March 30th, 2014.

Two that come to mind that appeared recently are Contagion and Inception.

People say that Contagion is slow and boring, but I looked at it as less of an action movie and more of a satire of the media and the mass hysteria it produces.

22031_s.gif

Spirited Away and pretty much all of Pixar's stuff.

Andrei Tarkovsky had a huge influence on Miyazaki!!

The bath house is a direct reference to Metropolis (1927) and the train motif is a direct reference to the train in Stalker (1972). The train in both films is representative of the spiritual journey and transformation the protagonist(s) have to take. Also, there is a scene--if you remember--after Chihiro removes the splinter from the giant river god and all the muck explodes, there is a very quick top-down shot of the bath house floor showing items covered in water. That is the exact shot that Tarkovsky uses at the end of Stalker. Both films are about the spiritual journey, not necessarily the spiritual destination. Just a little bit of film trivia for you :razz:

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

A readable essay about anti-capitalist motifs in Spirited Away, for any fans (ie, everyone who's seen the film): http://www.ejumpcut.org/archive/jc51.2009/SpiritedAway/index.html

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

Range, not a fan of Bicycle Thieves?

One that I have not seen yet, but I have been meaning to. Now that I'm done with classes until August, I plan to watch a lot more films.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

Range, I have another addition for your list of good Canadian movies: Waydowntown

A group of friends make a bet to see who can go the longest without going outside (they all live and work within a downtown complex connected by glass skywalks) and hilarity ensues. The best way I can describe it is "Dilbert meets Clerks".

I haven't seen it in years, but it popped into my head earlier today. Now I'm off to see if I can find it again. :D

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

Casablanca

The Social Network

The Graduate

GhostBusters

Manhattan (Woody Allen)

The Departed/Goodfellas/Anything Scorsese

Do The Right Thing (Spike Lee)

CadyShack

Life Aquatic/Anything West Anderson

Wedding Crashers (Mentioning it for being a great buddy film)

Trilogies:

Ocean's

Bourne

Dark Knight

Star Wars 4-6

French:

Breathless

Le Havre (2011) (It's really a finnish film, but it's in French)

A Prophet (2009)

The Intouchables (2011) (Very enjoyable film with a bit of twist a classic tale)

Australia:

Animal Kingdom

Italy:

Bicycle Thieves

I hate Pulp Fiction.

Basically a list of my favorites from my own personal collection. Obviously not a lot of "serious" films, but films I personally enjoy and can watch over and over on almost any given day. I'm a big fan of comedy, and noir/neo-noir. My list of foreign is also very weak compared to how many I actually watch, but I usually have to torrent them so I don't have the luxury of having them sitting in my physical collection for reference.

tFtfA.jpg

- Pulp Fiction.

- The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

- American History X.

- Fight Club.

- The Royal Tenenbaums.

- Leon.

- American Beauty.

- District 9.

- Office Space.

- Airplane!

Those are the movies I'd tell you if you'd ask me what my favourite movies are. I watched at least one movie every day last year, and those are the ones I always had the urge to watch and a few got multiple re-watches. All of them are cliche answers to 'Hey internet, what are ya favourite movies?' type questions, but I don't even care.

I'd have to say my favourite actors are Edward Norton (Could you tell?) and Clint Eastwood (Mostly from the childhood influence of my mum), and I usually enjoy anything they do. If you'd ask me who my favourite director is, it'd be Wes Anderson, I could watch his movies forever also, TRT being my favourite by far.

The Intouchables (2011) (Very enjoyable film with a bit of twist a classic tale)

Animal Kingdom

I hate Pulp Fiction.

I love The Intouchables, many manly tears were had throughout, very good movie. I'd forgotten about Animal Kingdom, but damn, that was a good movie.

What's wrong with Pulp Fiction? :c

Clerks I & II.

Love me some Kevin Smith. Clerks is awesome. Have you seen the six episode series they did?

#KERR2016/17/18/19/20/21.

#rpgformod

Have you seen the six episode series they did?

I own copies on both VHS and DVD. ;)

I actually saw the two episodes that were aired on TV.

A Prophet (2009)

I totally forgot about this one! I watched it this fall, very very good film!

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

Animal Kingdom

I hate Pulp Fiction.

I love The Intouchables, many manly tears were had throughout, very good movie. I'd forgotten about Animal Kingdom, but damn, that was a good movie.

I think it's just one of those movies that it was hyped up so much before I got to watch it that once I did I just wasn't impressed. I also hate Travolta more then probably any other actor too so him playing Vincent doesn't help.

Thinking of Travolta somehow reminded me of Harrison Ford and The Fugitive (1993). I've only ever seen it when it's being aired on TNT or one of those channels, but a great movie.

I liked Blood Diamond, but really anything with DeCaprio is usually fairly good.

tFtfA.jpg

Have you seen the six episode series they did?

I own copies on both VHS and DVD. ;)

I actually saw the two episodes that were aired on TV.

Such an amazing series. I might rewatch it all tonight. It's just so amazing. The second episode, with all the flashbacks and messing around is one of the greatest episodes of anything ever. Alas, few people would probably share that opinion.

Animal Kingdom

I hate Pulp Fiction.

I think it's just one of those movies that it was hyped up so much before I got to watch it that once I did I just wasn't impressed. I also hate Travolta more then probably any other actor too so him playing Vincent doesn't help.

Ah, the ol' overhype and unliked actor. Tis a shame, but oh well. I hate when things are overhyped, but I know I'm someone who does it to many things a lot of the time.

#KERR2016/17/18/19/20/21.

#rpgformod

I love pulp fiction. That's my favorite non comedy. I usually don't like Travolta but I thought he was perfect for that role.

Favorite comedy is Airplane!, easily.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Range, not a fan of Bicycle Thieves?

One that I have not seen yet, but I have been meaning to. Now that I'm done with classes until August, I plan to watch a lot more films.

It's probably the best movie I've seen.

My list of favourite movies and the best movies I've seen would be pretty different, I find a lot of films really good but I don't really feel like watching them more than once or twice. The ones I want to watch over and over are generally not exactly great movies, just enjoyable. It's really difficult to get a list...

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

I think we should get the guess the movie still thread up and running again. I believe you were the champion of that at least once indy.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg