Music Production (FL Studio, Reason, Ableton)

asfcjfdyitfhglh

I used to make electro house à la Justice. Moved to prog rock, I guess. I'm still using FL Studio to compose but I'm having trouble finishing songs.

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can

Camera guy: Whoa, haha, are you okay dude?

Matt: You want anything funny that happens, don't you?

Camera guy: still laughing

Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy

Camera guy: runs away still laughing

Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

Camera guy: Hoooholy [bleep]!

Matt: FUNNY ISN'T REAL! FUNNY ISN'T REAL!

Intuitive, rather simple. Great piano roll, which is indispensable for people like me who don't play the keys and like to have a flexible way of sequencing. Most of the built-in instruments and effects are of poor quality, but the latest versions have been adding better ones. When I'm collaborating with friends, I usually use it as a plugin with Ableton using ReWire.

I've been working on this (on and off) for about a year and a half now:

http://tindeck.com/listen/bmxl

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can

Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy

Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

I've been playing around with Reason for about 2 years now, occasionally making a song before forgetting about it for a few weeks again, then rinse and repeat. I've played around in different genres, but mostly stick to drum 'n bass and more ambient music.

Also, more recently I've started trying to make remixes, which basically consist of me making an instrumental track with Reason then sticking acapella vocals on it with Audacity.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been playing around with Reason for about 2 years now, occasionally making a song before forgetting about it for a few weeks again, then rinse and repeat. I've played around in different genres, but mostly stick to drum 'n bass and more ambient music.

Also, more recently I've started trying to make remixes, which basically consist of me making an instrumental track with Reason then sticking acapella vocals on it with Audacity.

I know what you mean, it's an on-and-off thing for me, sometimes I'll spend all week doing it, other weeks I won't touch it. I've experimented with genres but lately I've been making Melodic Dubstep and Hardstyle. I'm more of a synths person than a song person... I make lots of patches and FX. I'll check out your song when I get on my computer, I'm on my phone atm

I'm more of a song person. I usually just pick a synth from the list that I feel is pretty close to what I'm looking for, then I just modify it a bit so it's even closer to what I was looking for, but I have no idea how to make a synth from scratch. I do like messing around with a lot of FX though, especially when I'm making more ambient music I'll use a lot of reverbs, echoes and delays, if I'm making a harder song I'll go for distortions.

If you want to hear what I do, this is my latest song (I made it a few months back) and my personal favorite.

^Pretty neat. That interlude with the delayed guitar (I suppose) is good. Would have had more variation in the drums though.

Programming drums has always been my weakness, I'll have a great idea in my head but I'll rarely be able to translate that to Reason. And yeah, the guitar is delayed.

I also listened to your linked song yesterday, I actually quite liked it. Nice build-up and I liked the guitar(?) solo at the end. I never knew FL's instruments sounded so life-like, I would have thought it was an actual recording.

They don't haha. The bass and the guitars are both free soundfonts. That's not better in and of itself but the free options for those that come with FL are pretty awful. I can't do slides and hammer-on/pull-offs with either of them though; I think that's what makes it least "human". The organ is a sound font ("Jeux14"). The piano is default but it's pretty bad if you listen to it on its own. Could have replaced it, but I didn't want the extra CPU load (FL runs pretty inefficiently). The drums are default FPC, but that's actually pretty good, because each drum or cymbal has several samples, each hit at varying degrees of force, and depending on the velocity you score your notes at, it'll use the corresponding loudness. So, it does sound decently realistic, but you've got to tinker with the velocities a lot. I'll post a screenshot of my piano roll soon and you'll see.

I guess what I'm getting at is that making drums sound the way you want them to isn't difficult, just time-consuming.

Usually it's a combination of not finding the right samples to match what I have in my head, and not finding the right way to translate what I would play on a real drum into a drum computer, and the fact I don't feel like spending hours working on just drums. My friend, who also produces

, is a master at programming drums, he manages to make a nice drumline in just a few minutes, that looks and sounds complex, while still sounding nice too. The song I linked isn't my personal favourite of his, but it does show his skills with the drum.

My boyfriend has been working in recording and writing music for a few years. His program of choice is Logic Pro, and he's spent a good deal of time just studying the ins and outs of it through MacProVideo. I've messed around with it, but nothing like what he is able to produce. He says that's because women rarely use Reason or Logic. >.>

^Heard that one before. It's pretty true, uppercase included.

Usually it's a combination of not finding the right samples to match what I have in my head, and not finding the right way to translate what I would play on a real drum into a drum computer, and the fact I don't feel like spending hours working on just drums. My friend, who also produces

, is a master at programming drums, he manages to make a nice drumline in just a few minutes, that looks and sounds complex, while still sounding nice too. The song I linked isn't my personal favourite of his, but it does show his skills with the drum.

What kind of drum samples would you like to use?

I don't have any exoerience with FL, but I know that it works with plugins like Massive. I wish Reason worked with Massive :/ so many new possibilities! As for presets, I think Reason is quite strong in that field, especially for drum samples/instrument samples and percussion.

I'll post a couple of my songs here for you guys to listen to, check them out if you're interested :)

You can use FL as a plugin within many DAWs through ReWire. It could also be the case for Reason.