• I'm F2P
  2. 2. Will you play on 2007 Servers?

• Yes
    • No
    • I'm F2p, so no
    • I'm F2P, but would subscribe

http://services.rune...s-poll-now-live

Old School RuneScape Servers: Poll Now Live

The poll to gauge interest in 2007 servers is now live, and will remain open until 00:00 GMT on the 1st of March 2013. If you're a RuneScape member, and you'd like to show your interest in the return of Old School RuneScape, head on over to our poll page now and give your support!

The RuneScape Team

____

http://services.rune...escape-you-vote

2007 - Old School RuneScape... You Vote!

Hi everyone,

Last week, Mod Mark posted a thread on our forums highlighting some of the nostalgic and often passionate discussions within the community around a desired return of an 'old school' version of RuneScape. Specifically, the fine vintages of 2006 & 2007 appeared to be the high point of collective interest. Our team then set out to see if we had a backup that went that far back; if restoring the backup was even technically possible; and what specific content these potential old RuneScape backups might contain.

The team has spent many late nights and the past weekend digging through dusty old backups and restoring them, in the hope of finding more than just the old IT manager's MP3 collection of 80s rock power ballads! ☺

Finally, I'm very happy to report that we have indeed managed to recover a full RuneScape backup from August 2007. This is a complete snapshot of the game, which we have been able to verify would work, with some time and effort invested in it. Ironically, in October 2007 we actually changed our backup systems, so we have no complete content versions from August onwards that are viable for this purpose.

As I said at the start of the year, we're all very focused on making this year fun, memorable and special to you, and a significant part of realising this mission is giving you a big say in what we focus on. That said, a huge amount has either changed or been improved since the heady days of 2007. The game has evolved, as have our tech, systems, and infrastructure. There will be a substantial amount of work involved to get these 'old school' servers back up and running again. However, if enough people support this project, this will be neither unachievable, nor a hindrance to the main game.

So, just like the poll for the return of the Wildy & Free Trade, which saw a jaw dropping 1.4 million votes , we will be running a similar poll and letting you - our valued members - decide the fate of 'Old School RuneScape", given that you directly fund the game's ongoing development and supporting services. This decision - along with the level of service, investment and potentially any additional fee for the service - is truly up to you to determine.

However, before we invest any further resource into this project, we need to accurately gauge your level of support by understanding how many of you are really behind 'Old School RuneScape' as it was in August 2007. As such, we will set up a poll this week for players to show their interest in the 2007 service.

But before I get into the specifics, there is one thing that is very important to note. If this idea gathers sufficient support, then we will not need to take our current talent away from all of the exciting updates to be implemented into the current version of the game, as we will be able to hire a new dedicated team to work specifically on this project.

By giving you the choice to play either version of the game, we are demonstrating our commitment to listen and - wherever possible - incorporate your feedback. In the long term, we hope that this project will bring back many veteran players, as well as possibly encourage new players to join. They will be able to relive their old game experience to their heart's content, and - if they so choose - perhaps even join the main game. Over the next couple of months and subsequent years, we have an ever-growing plethora of exciting content waiting to be deployed into the Evolution of Combat, regardless of the reinstatement of old servers.

That being said, we have set out the following targets to help us figure out how much focus and resource we should put into this project:

Level 1 - 50,000 or more votes:

2007 servers will come back as a separate entity to the current Runescape game, with an additional membership fee of around $15. These servers will receive no content updates and only critical maintenance.

Level 2 - 250,000 or more votes:

2007 servers will come back as a separate entity to the main Runescape game, supported by a small development team, with a smaller additional membership fee of around $5 extra. These servers will receive basic maintenance for bug fixes and little improvements, with the possibility of integrating our modern anti-bot technology over time, if it becomes necessary.

Level 3 - 500,000 or more votes:

2007 servers will come back as a separate entity to the main RuneScape game, with a dedicated development team, with no extra membership fee. These servers will receive regular maintenance, some content updates and integration of anti-bot technology if necessary.

Level 4 - 750,000 or more votes:

2007 Servers will come back as a separate entity to the main RuneScape game, with a larger dedicated development team with no extra membership fee and the free portion of the game available to all. These servers will receive continuous maintenance, modern anti-bot technology if necessary and - crucially - regular members' polls to determine which updates you want to see prioritised.

These servers, at any of the above levels, would be the exact version from back in 2007 and would maintain the 'old school' vibe and rules. The old graphics, hiscores, log-in, are all part of the same archived build and would be retained. We wouldn't ever add any MTX updates.

This will be a members-only vote. While all types of players have invested time in the game, it is our members that ultimately fund the initiatives and therefore get to set the priorities. Your support allows us to continue to evolve this amazing game that we all care deeply about. Making the vote members-only has the benefit of ensuring the votes cannot be rigged, and is a reliable, secure way to calibrate interest from dedicated players.

If you are against the idea, then you should - naturally - abstain from voting. However,if you are supportive, or would simply like to do a cool thing for your fellow Runescape friends (both retired and active) by making it a no-charge service as well as a benefit for free players (which is very much our aspiration), then please do register your vote and encourage all your friends to do the same!

If you choose to abstain from voting, before you do so, please understand: the Evolution of Combat will not be removed from the main game in any event. Although some of our resources and time would be reallocated initially to the reinstatement of the 2007 servers, the main game would still continue to receive its regular updates, as well as the massive updates promised for 2013.

The poll will be live on the website this Friday 15th February for two weeks. We will also be uploading a video on YouTube expressing these ideas, and opening a thread on the members-only forums to discuss this topic. In light of the poll, we will be moving our next Q&A session - Around the Campfire with Mark Ogilvie - to next week, where we will be focusing on discussions around the ongoing poll.

On a side note, I want to remark that we truly appreciate how passionate and devoted our players are to the future success of the game. I've never seen any other community as active and passionate about shaping the future of their game experience. It's truly an honour to be part of this community and I very much hope this initiative positively engages the current - as well as the lapsed - community.

Thanks for reading, the team and I are really looking forward to seeing what you decide!

Have (old school?) fun! ☺

Cheers,

Mark Gerhard

CEO

[hide=Q&A, Info etc]

Can you clarify what the 2007 service will consist of?

We are looking at fully restoring our backup of the August 10th 2007 version of the game and running it on dedicated servers, so that it functions exactly as it did back in the day. We'll try to fix any critical bugs from this version, and to have the hiscores system too. We'll work to make this compatible with our modern infrastructure, so it will use the current account database and you'll be able to use your existing account to log in, if you wish.

Does this mean I can play my character from back in 2007?

No, everyone will start fresh.

Can I still play on the "main" game with my account?

Yes, you'd have a unique 'save game' on each version of the game, but access with the same account credentials, so you only need to remember one username and password.

Why members only? Members don't represent all interested potential players...

Our current members are the ones we know for sure are committed to RuneScape and have the biggest stake in our future. If a member votes, we have a high confidence they'll follow through, as they actively play and pay for RuneScape already. Another reason is that a members' poll run using our own systems is something we can do securely, completely trusting the validity of the result.

Are there enough members to hit targets?

As a private business, we don't publish our membership numbers, but RuneScape is still one of the largest MMORPGs in the world and we have set targets for this poll that we know to be credible. The top target is a stretch goal, as it would need overwhelming support from the community to attain.

I'm a free player. Why doesn't my vote count?

Jagex is a business, and when launching an additional service we need to be confident that it will generate enough revenue to be commercially viable. This is why we're gauging interest only from paying players. As you'll see in the poll targets, if there are enough poll votes from members, we will open the 2007 service to free players too.

If successful, when will these 2007 servers go live?

We're waiting on the result of the poll before we invest significant development time in bringing you the 2007 service. However we think that we can make it ready inside 1 or 2 months – we'll give more detail on this after the poll when we've planned in more detail, should it be successful.

How many 2007 worlds will there be?

This will depend on the vote and (if successful) continued demand once live. We'll provide enough servers to support the demand.

Why are you charging additional fees for the lower targets?

Any service we provide needs to be commercially viable for us. There will be a big investment for us to bring you RuneScape 2007 servers, and then on-going costs to maintain and support these over time. If there are not many players interested in this service, we effectively need to spread the costs over a smaller number of users.

Will there be micro-payments like Squeal of Fortune on the 2007 server?

No. It will only contain content that was present at the time.

Why have you released the 2007 version of RuneScape when we have been asking for a 2006 version?

We don't have many full backups, and don't have any from 2006 at all, unfortunately. This version from August 2007 is the most complete (most technically viable). It also sits in a sweetspot in time which has most of the features players have asked for, but is still before the release of the Grand Exchange, which is the cut off point we've seen mentioned the most.

If this is successful, will you spend less time updating the main game?

No. The future of RuneScape remains the "main" game, and we've got an incredibly exciting year ahead; new client technology in HTML5, improved graphics, an epic campaign of episodic content, two new skills, and much more.

Are the games connected in any way?

We are working to get the chat system (friends and private messages) working between the services. Apart from this, though, the games will be totally separate – one will not affect the other. A 2007 service would have a separate economy, started from scratch. This means items could not be traded or transferred across the services.

Will this split the community?

We hope not! By hosting the service ourselves and by supporting cross-version chat, we hope to keep the community together and playing actively.

What if I don't want this service?

Then there is no need to participate in the poll.

Will there be translated versions of the 2007 game?

No, just English.

Does voting for the 2007 service lock me in to paying for it?

No. You will simply be expressing your interest and contributing towards the targets.

Are you considering a pre-EoC server, like a 2011 version?

No. We strongly believe that the changes we've made to the main game are the right ones, representing the future of RuneScape. The 2007 server vote is for players who want to experience the old days and don't mind the differences in gameplay and visuals from over 5 years ago.

Will there be any JMod/Community support for the 2007 version of the game?

We will provide basic support services, such as the report tool for reporting disruptive or abusive players. JMods and PMods will also be present. The amount of active community support, such as events , will depend on the level of demand.

Will you be publishing the results?

The vote system will be like the Wildy poll, with live results being shown on the voting page.

[/hide]

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]

Screw that !!!

EDIT: The only thing that might be great is:

QUESTS!!!

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help

. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

I'm worried that the vote tiers are set at such a level where 250K+ votes will make 2007-scape come back with a dedicated development team and less/no additional fees to support it. I'd prefer the Dev Team spend their microtransaction and membership fee war chest on improving the current game rather than fracture development time and effort on multiple versions of the game.

More importantly, people need to know this is not a yes or no vote; Gerhard says "If you are against the idea, then you should - naturally - abstain from voting." It seems odd that the way to voice disagreement is to stay silent. Even though the vote is members only, hopefully they won't include a "No" or "I'm not sure but am kinda sort ok with it" middle option that will confuse people who want no 2007-Scape into participating. That it's a participation based referendum is currently buried deep in the post.

On a side note, wouldn't it be funny if real life political referendums were decided based on how many people didn't show up to vote?

• Like 1

No. Big waste of money tbh, after 2 months everybody will be bored and those servers will be empty.

Private server player counts show otherwise.

Anyway, with it being a member only vote I'd imagine this just being a quick cash grab.

Hey, you never know, maybe 750k people will re-sub to vote!

• Like 1

bs/10... why do they keep giving into the whiners who are too lazy to deal with (bleeping) change....

They did this for free trade, and I'm willing to bet we'll get yet another "vote" like we did for that. Enough whining, the game will never be what it was in 2007, stop whining and move the f(leep) on people.

There will not be the same community, there will be only our current climate of bots, douchebaguettes and no honour (bleeps)

meamzed.png

I'm confused.

Would our current characters be ported over to the server or do we get the characters we had back in 2007?

On a second note. Seeing as it's members only poll... are there even enough members that would support this to make the server free? As in no aditional cost from what members cost now?

500k member votes for it to be free... That's a bit far fetched, don't you think?

I'm a bit sceptical about all of this.

We'll see where this whole thing goes.

Edit: Nvm, you have to start a completely new character. No thank you.

So, do they also have the backup for the 2007 community? No? yeah, NO!

• Like 1

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

I will only vote if its close to 750k+ votes.

This is because if it does come, then it needs to be safe!!! Eg. No or few bots etc!

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help

. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

also... they said only members can vote... how many active members do we have right now? This is just a huge cash grab, they want people to buy membership and vote in it.

ABBBBBBBBBSTAINNNNNNNNNNNNNNN MY BRETHREN, isnt the f(leeping) sgs and squeal enough jagex? jesus, go rob a bank already.

• Like 2
meamzed.png

Guys, the problem with "change" is that updates like EoC and the first free trade removal damage the community on an impact more than just playing style. It destroys the game they joined. I dont think anyone has the right to say adapt or quit because of a huge update. Its selfish. I personally will play both. But I wont touch combat unless its in a quest (live), The community was stronger back then from having the free trade freedom. Its a beautiful enviroment to play in. I for one am quite excited because everything I do on the servers will contribute to the build of it. That alone is quite amazing.

Mod MMG has a FAQ in the thread in general here it is :

Can you clarify what the 2007 service will consist of?

We are looking at fully restoring our backup of the August 10th 2007 version of the game and running it on dedicated servers, so that it functions exactly as it did back in the day. We’ll try to fix any critical bugs from this version, and to have the hiscores system too. We’ll work to make this compatible with our modern infrastructure, so it will use the current account database and you'll be able to use your existing account to log in, if you wish.

Does this mean I can play my character from back in 2007?

No, everyone will start fresh.

Can I still play on the “main” game with my account?

Yes, you’d have a unique ‘save game’ on each version of the game, but access with the same account credentials, so you only need to remember one username and password.

Why members only? Members don’t represent all interested potential players...

Our current members are the ones we know for sure are committed to RuneScape and have the biggest stake in our future. If a member votes, we have a high confidence they’ll follow through, as they actively play and pay for RuneScape already. Another reason is that a members' poll run using our own systems is something we can do securely, completely trusting the validity of the result.

Are there enough members to hit targets?

As a private business, we don’t publish our membership numbers, but RuneScape is still one of the largest MMORPGs in the world and we have set targets for this poll that we know to be credible. The top target is a stretch goal, as it would need overwhelming support from the community to attain.

I’m a free player. Why doesn’t my vote count?

Jagex is a business, and when launching an additional service we need to be confident that it will generate enough revenue to be commercially viable. This is why we’re gauging interest only from paying players. As you’ll see in the poll targets, if there are enough poll votes from members, we will open the 2007 service to free players too.

If successful, when will these 2007 servers go live?

We’re waiting on the result of the poll before we invest significant development time in bringing you the 2007 service. However we think that we can make it ready inside 1 or 2 months – we’ll give more detail on this after the poll when we’ve planned in more detail, should it be successful.

How many 2007 worlds will there be?

This will depend on the vote and (if successful) continued demand once live. We’ll provide enough servers to support the demand.

Why are you charging additional fees for the lower targets?

Any service we provide needs to be commercially viable for us. There will be a big investment for us to bring you RuneScape 2007 servers, and then on-going costs to maintain and support these over time. If there are not many players interested in this service, we effectively need to spread the costs over a smaller number of users.

Will there be micro-payments like Squeal of Fortune on the 2007 server?

No. It will only contain content that was present at the time.

Why have you released the 2007 version of RuneScape when we have been asking for a 2006 version?

We don’t have many full backups, and don’t have any from 2006 at all, unfortunately. This version from August 2007 is the most complete (most technically viable). It also sits in a sweetspot in time which has most of the features players have asked for, but is still before the release of the Grand Exchange, which is the cut off point we’ve seen mentioned the most.

If this is successful, will you spend less time updating the main game?

No. The future of RuneScape remains the “main” game, and we’ve got an incredibly exciting year ahead; new client technology in HTML5, improved graphics, an epic campaign of episodic content, two new skills, and much more.

Are the games connected in any way?

We are working to get the chat system (friends and private messages) working between the services. Apart from this, though, the games will be totally separate – one will not affect the other. A 2007 service would have a separate economy, started from scratch. This means items could not be traded or transferred across the services.

Will this split the community?

We hope not! By hosting the service ourselves and by supporting cross-version chat, we hope to keep the community together and playing actively.

What if I don’t want this service?

Then there is no need to participate in the poll.

Will there be translated versions of the 2007 game?

No, just English.

Does voting for the 2007 service lock me in to paying for it?

No. You will simply be expressing your interest and contributing towards the targets.

Are you considering a pre-EoC server, like a 2011 version?

No. We strongly believe that the changes we’ve made to the main game are the right ones, representing the future of RuneScape. The 2007 server vote is for players who want to experience the old days and don’t mind the differences in gameplay and visuals from over 5 years ago.

Will there be any JMod/Community support for the 2007 version of the game?

We will provide basic support services, such as the report tool for reporting disruptive or abusive players. JMods and PMods will also be present. The amount of active community support, such as events , will depend on the level of demand.

Will you be publishing the results?

The vote system will be like the Wildy poll, with live results being shown on the voting page.

If you read, no resources will be moved. Maybe some minor. But theyl pay for a team (probably using membership from voters) Really.. its kind of selfish not to allow expansion.

And with this type of vote, a no is not a needed option. Simply because we are showing intrest. Its so they can use a budget more effectively. It dont effect anyone else.