My laptop has died, and I need a new one

PolarBearBlue

Sometime between last night and this morning my computer died due to a fried motherboard. So I’m going to have to save for a new computer. But I have no idea what to get. Heck, I don't even know how I decided on this one.

My current laptop is a Dell Studio XPS 1640. Here are the specs for it: http://www.cnet.com/laptops/dell-studio-xps-1640/4507-3121_7-33712894.html. I recently replaced my hard drive with a HGST Travelstar 2.5 Inch 500GB 7200 RPM SATA II 16 MB Cache Internal Hard Drive, and my operating system is the 64 bit Home version of Windows 7. I used my computer for playing games, music, and college work mostly; however, due to my computer specs and some difficulty I had running steam and demo versions of Batman and Sonic Generation (prior to hard drive replacement) I actually haven’t played anything outside browser games like Runescape and Minecraft. The best I was able to play was the demo version of Battlefield 1943 (but that ran smoothly).

I basically want a new computer that allows me to play PC games like Dragon Age and Batman at or near the recommended settings. I don’t need a 2013 year model laptop; I doubt I’ll have that money in a resonable time if it’s for gaming. Budget wise I plan to save but I’ve been looking around and saw laptop for at lowest $900. With that in mind I don’t want to spend too much over the $1000-$1200 range.

I also don’t wanna build anything. I’m not good with my hands (rather, I don’t want to try) nor do I wanna spend time find parts. I’m pretty sure at my budget, it isn’t possible anyway. As mentioned above, I just replaced my hard drive; is there anyway to work around that (like buy a laptop without a hard drive) or will I have to get a laptop with a hard drive, thus turning the new one I bought into and external hard drive? Lastly, if my budge is too strict, what laptop do you recommend I save a buy? Please provide the cheapest, best you can suggest and/or something that doesn’t break far over the 2k price range. I like options. Thanks.

29386_s.gif

"Goals dont have a deadline." -xxxgod quoting Lady Shahdie

[slayer "Essentials"][click pic for main blog][click quote for mini blog][Worthwhile Auras]

How are you sure that it's a fried motherboard? Can you list what is currently going on with your laptop? Motherboards don't just fry like that especially since your laptop wasn't that old, although still old technology-wise.

Do you have a preference for which website is used? I usually use NCIX but most people here use Newegg.

For that price range though I'm not sure you'll find a real gaming laptop but you can find something pretty decent for these games.

Can you link the $900 laptop you saw?

My laptop won't turn on. No fan or anything. I'm on my brother's computer in case you are wondering how I am typing. The story goes, my brother was on my computer to play minecraft because his can not. When my battery got low, he turned my computer off and plugged it into a power source. When I woke up I found my computer not connected to the adapter. Wondering if it was fully charged I attempted to turn it on and it lit up for about 1 sec before shutting off. Assuming it was not charged, I left it on the charger and went back to sleep. I woke up, still nothing. I unplugged it. Nothing. I took the battery out and plugged the adapter in. Nothing. I held the power button with and without the battery for a minute. Nothing. I search on Dell forums and online. I found it was either the power source or the motherboard. Having replaced both the battery and adapter in Sept I assumed to be the motherboard. I called Geek Squad. They didn't know but since I just replaced my power sources they said it wasn't that, and I wasn't about to pay $30 for them to find out what it is. My mother called a friend who experienced the same issue as me and he said it's my motherboard.

I also do not have a preference of sites. Link to laptop I saw at about $900, one in my price range at lowest end, and one a bit over my price range assuming it still sells at the higher price than Amazon.

I'm trying to do as best research as I can so any help is appreciated.

EDIT: So I called another tech/computer store for advice and they also said it was my motherboard. Yet when I try to turn on my computer recently (out of some idea a miracle would happen) it turned on. It could be very well 4 hours wasn't enough to charge my battery. I have no idea what is going on but I would still like to ask for suggestions on a new laptop as it as it's about time I get a new one anyway.

29386_s.gif

"Goals dont have a deadline." -xxxgod quoting Lady Shahdie

[slayer "Essentials"][click pic for main blog][click quote for mini blog][Worthwhile Auras]