GE potions

BobbieK

So I've done the slog to up my herblore to a decent level, enough to make anti-fire potions. By then I had quite a few spare lower potions I wouldn't be using myself anymore so decided to sell them at the GE. I got what I thought was good gp for them, however ... later I checked what standard gp price the ingredients sell for, and put together, the potion sells for much less than the ingredients. I find this pretty poor because I've heard many discussions by other players who can't be bothered upping the herblore skill themselves to be able to make the potions themselves, the main comment was was that it was too expensive - because they buy all of the ingredients instead of gathering/growing them. So wouldn't the potions, especially the higher one's, then be worth more? Saving them the effort and expense of getting there themselves? For example, a combat potion, which saves space in the inventory by being both a strength and attack potion in one, contains harralander and goat's horn. The clean harralander by it'self on the GE sells for 444 gp, yet the final combat potion sells for less than that, can't remember the price, but it is less. That's not taking into account the goat's horn yet either, which isn't all that simple to gather, there are only a cluster of 3 goats closest to the desert entrance, with a bank quite far, the better cluster, of 3 and 4 are right down the bottom of the dessert, with a handy bank, but there is no water source so you need to use up whatever water source you have in the bank to keep going, as well as adorning a boring dessert robe. Heaven knows what price goat's horn sells for on the GE but I'm betting it's not cheap.

I've found a similar trend with finished products on the GE. Pineapple pizza, any pizza actually, ends up selling for way less than the cost of the ingredients if you weren't to grow/gather them yourself. Similarly, goods that include the container, such as a pie - using a pie dish, don't include the value of the container. This goes for the potions too. I make all my own vials to save buying them and gain a bit of crafting xp at the same time, they are free with the potion it seems, as well as the loss on the potion ingredients.

The only finished product I found, that I checked, that actually made a profit on the combined ingredients, were the gourmet potatoes ie with toppings higher than cheese, and thank goodness/rightly so for that! as they are quite a bit of effort to make, the butter being the worst.

This trend needs to change. Those of you who are selling potions, food, armour etc, I hope you start selling them at a price that includes the cost of the ingredients plus your labour and skill level you worked hard for to be able to make them. In the very least, because I'm guessing the current prices are to deter easy levelling thus profiteering, the price should be raised somewhat.

anyway ..

If making them resulted in profit, everyone would train it cause a mass of them being sold on the GE and therefore causing the price to drop. Gathering skills are meant to profit, not skills like Herblore, Cooking, etc. They already take no work o train - if they were also profitable, every Joe Blow and his dog would be maxed.

09144a99bb.png

Moved to Rants.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

I guess it does profit if you're gathering yourself, as then it is free, gp wise. I was just disappointed that when I saw how much the ingredients sold for I thought gee I should have just sold them and made more gp, however I wouldn't have gained the xp

I was amazed how much guam sold for, I mean that is the easiest herb to gather, so commonly dropped and the seeds get annoying how many get pickpocketed. I was glad however that the grown product does sell for more than the seed.

you're right about the deterrent to level too easily. it is tedious though standing at the bank, mixing mixing mixing mixing TO get that level up to then sell the potions at what might be profit if the ingredients sold for cheaper. I would be happy if the price rose at least a bit.

the point is that it's a trade off. you either get the xp or the money. Ever since skillcapes, xp has been valued much higher then gp, causing previously profitable buyable skills to become a loss, and skilling as a whole to stop making a decent profit.

DK drops (solo/LS): 66 hatchets, 14 archer rings, 13 berserker rings, 17 warrior rings, 12 seerculls, 13 mud staves, 7 seers rings

QBD drops: 1 kite, 2 visages, 4 dragonbone kits, 3 effigies, lots of crossbow parts

CR vs. CLS threads always turn into discussions about penis size.
It's not called a Compensation Longsword for nothing.

I've sent a 12k combat mission to have Aiel assassinated (poor bastard isn't even Pincers-tier difficulty).

DM0Yq2c.png

This has been the way the prices have always been. Its not like "Back in the golden days, you made money off herblore"! In fact, herblore and other skills like prayer are CHEAPER now.

Uh before skillcapes you made massive profit of making super sets (super att + super str). Buying the supplies at w2. Similar to smithing & other skills, capes simply destroyed runescape.

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.