Cannoning Dagannoths for Charms

Singh

Welcome to LtGen Singh's Guide on Cannoning Dagannoths for Charms!

Table of Contents

A) Introduction + Location
B) Requirements
C) Setup
D) Killing
E) Loot
F) Range + Mage Killing

Introduction + Location
I was on the hunt for charms and a friend told me since I can't kill galdors, that I should go try killing dagannoths. So I did and I really enjoyed it and thought I'd share it with everyone here.

I normally get there using the hometeleport and run to the boat but I know there is a few other methods that I'll add later. Once on the island, run to the dungeon entrance and head to the kill zone to start killing

Kill_Zone.png

Requirements
Item Wise

• Money to fund all the supplies obviously
  • Cannon + Cannon Balls (If you can upgrade cannon to gold/royal, just makes it easier)
  • Plenty of Runes
  • Charming Imp
  • Bone crusher + Demon Horn Necklace (If you can get it)

Skill Wise

• 88+ Magic (But 64+ Magic could work)
  • 92+ Prayer (95 prayer for Torment)
  • Ancients Spell book

I'll add more as I can think of them

Setup
[spoiler=My Setup]

New setup as of Nov 2015

Cannoning_Dags_new_Setup.png

Setup from 2013: http://s14.postimg.org/4t6a2xsgh/dag_setup_sub.png

My Setup for the most part is pretty basic. I used to have Gano but I spent a few mil to get subjuagtion. Gano work just as good, just more damage with the better armor you use. I'm hoping to have some numbers for Virtus armor as well soon.

Armor: Virtus > Subjugation > Sea singer's > Ganodermic
Amulet: Demon Horn Necklace > Arcane Stream Necklace
Cape: Completionist cape > God cape > Max cape > Trimmed skillcape
Weapon: Virtus wand & book > Wand of Treachery & Grifolic Orb > Chaotic staff > Armadyl battlestaff > Staff of light

Inventory:
One of each charm color for a place holder, Cannonballs, Cannon (4 pieces), Highest combat familiar you can use (extra xp), Blood Runes, Earth Runes, Charming Imp, Bonecrusher, Spare Super Restore (dont have to bring it), Teleport out, And the rest just Overloads

[spoiler=Setup/Invo without overloads or Bone crusher + Demon Horn Necklace]wvj.png
Just made this setup invo real quick for people that cant access overloads or Bone crusher + Demon Horn Necklace. I haven't actually tested this particular setup but it should work. Just prayer "protect from melee" I suppose

Killing

Honestly in term of combat, this is really easy. Go to killing area and set up your cannon, set your spells, overload and prayer set. And for prayer I set it as Soul Split + Torment because I get my prayer points back enough to where I can consonantly have Torment on.
Just make sure your cannon is always loaded, it does all of the pulling so without it, you just stand there.
[spoiler=Example setup]
wz66.png

iy.png
If you see this, pick up your cannon and put it back down. I believe it happens ever 20 minutes. And if you don't, the cannon teleports out and you have to get back from Dwarf area. I've ended a few trips early because I totally missed that message and the cannon was telelported away. Be careful!

Loot
I'm just going to post some example trip loot from my experiences
[spoiler=Trip #3]

trip_3.png

[spoiler=Trip #4]

trip_4.png

[spoiler=Trip #5 (detailed)]
Trip_5.png
lrcx.png
Total time: 1.25 hours
Magic Experience: 241k
Range Experience: 114K
HP Experience: 117k
Crimson Charms: 405
Gold Charms: 216
Green Charms: 88
Blue Charms: 8

[spoiler=Trip #7 (detailed) ]

24j9.png

Loot per hour
Magic Experience: 210k/hr
Range Experience: 99.6k/hr
HP Experience: 102k/hr
Crimson Charms: 342/hr
Gold Charms: 177.6/hr
Green Charms: 88.8/hr
Blue Charms: 18/hr

Total GP Lose for Runes + cannonballs = 2.4m

[spoiler=Trip #8 (Subjagation)]
yqfn.png

Loot
Magic Experience: 213k/hr
Range Experience: 97k/hr
HP Experience: 102k/hr
Crimson Charms: 386/hr
Gold Charms: 170/hr
Green Charms: 94/hr
Blue Charms: 12/hr

[spoiler=Trip #9 (Subjagation)]

trip_9_loot.png

Loot
Magic Experience: 220k/hr
Range Experience: 107k/hr
HP Experience: 108k/hr
Crimson Charms: 372/hr
Gold Charms: 185/hr
Green Charms: 102/hr
Blue Charms: 10/hr

[spoiler=Trip #10 11/01/2015]

Did another trip again with using this guide even those its really old. Here is the final results. Spent 45 mins down there; 2.25 overload doses.

Charms

Crimson: 405/hr

Green: 125/hr

Gold: 226/hr

Blue: 25/hr

XP:

Magic: 215k/hr

Range: 161k/hr

HP: 123k/hr

dagg_end.png

Before:

rock_lob_before.png

After:

rock_lob_afer.png

[spoiler= Trip #12 11/3/2015]

Trip 12!

Lasted 1 hour and 5 mins; I did have like 50k magic xp bonus so it affect the final tally. I did end up getting more charms as well. I was pretty active for this trip. Always reloading cannon and moving around to get the most dags.

trip_12_end_results.png

trip_12_end_results_xp.png

160k til 99 Magic!

For the number people: (Based on my last trip results (last one down)). This is totally using my data so results could vary depending on each person but this is my experience, Doesn't mean exact

Loot per hour (based on four last trip, results may vary)
Magic Experience: 213.6k/hr
Range Experience: 101.6k/hr
HP Experience: 106.7k/hr
Crimson Charms: 367.5/hr
Gold Charms: 178.8/hr
Green Charms: 94.4/hr
Blue Charms: 11.1/hr

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[spoiler=Range/Mage killing]So after a few days of killing dags with mage, I thought I'd try range + magic. Same combat style as mage but different setup (sightly).
My example welfare set up
gk3p.png

Results for 30 min trip with this setup:
13gu.png
xvu7.png

here is the number based solo'ly (for now) on this 30 min trip

Range Experience: 220k/hr
Magic Experience: 40k/hr
HP Experience: 86k/hr
Crimson Charms: 284/hr
Gold Charms: 168/hr
Green Charms: 84/hr
Blue Charms: 18/hr

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank for your time reading this guide. This my first guide that I've ever made and posted. I'd love to see your results as well from here. Any positive criticism and suggestions are welcomed. And stop by my blog where I'll be posting every single trip results and what not.

Have fun looting,
LtGen Singh

Ltgen_Singh.png

Capture_Copy.png

all_99.png

hmm something seems very wrong with your xp/hour. Does gear and mage level really make this much of a difference? Here's my xp/hour with 99 combats and max mage-

11k prayer xp

471k def xp

259 golds 130 greens 497 crimsons 11 blues = 267,514 sum xp

3500 cannonballs used

3330 bloods used

Admittedly those numbers are pre-dual wield update from the other day. But even with that and the lower gear/stats I just can't see this large of a difference. Does virtus/99 combats make that large a difference?

I am not a skiller, but i do some skills.

rcwar1st.gifconwar3rd.gifwcdec2nd.gifskillwar2nd.gif

Spring2008slaycompsig.png

hmm something seems very wrong with your xp/hour. Does gear and mage level really make this much of a difference? Here's my xp/hour with 99 combats and max mage-

11k prayer xp

471k def xp

259 golds 130 greens 497 crimsons 11 blues = 267,514 sum xp

3500 cannonballs used

3330 bloods used

Admittedly those numbers are pre-dual wield update from the other day. But even with that and the lower gear/stats I just can't see this large of a difference. Does virtus/99 combats make that large a difference?

umm... well my numbers are just based right now on that last trip I did of 2.5 hours; not really sure how you pulled off 471k defense xp an hour or that many charms

I guess I wouldn't really know forsure until I tried it out myself with max gear (which probably will never happen haha)

I might just pulled stats off of the guide for now until I do multiple trips with reference date

Ltgen_Singh.png

Capture_Copy.png

all_99.png

The numbers I have are an average of many many hour long recordings. Also I am not saying you are wrong or that you did something wrong. I'm just curious is all because it's a large difference. I also have been 99 combats for many years and have been using max gear for many years, so yea it could very well be that much of a difference for all I know.

Also if you want me to edit this stuff out of my posts at some point I will. I understand if you don't want this to be the first posts on your thread.

If you have some cash to put up as compensation I will lend you virtus, or just v wand/book. Let me know.

• Like 1
I am not a skiller, but i do some skills.

rcwar1st.gifconwar3rd.gifwcdec2nd.gifskillwar2nd.gif

Spring2008slaycompsig.png

The numbers I have are an average of many many hour long recordings. Also I am not saying you are wrong or that you did something wrong. I'm just curious is all because it's a large difference. I also have been 99 combats for many years and have been using max gear for many years, so yea it could very well be that much of a difference for all I know.

Also if you want me to edit this stuff out of my posts at some point I will. I understand if you don't want this to be the first posts on your thread.

No worries, its all good. I really like the feedback. I'm guessing just based on gear that it could be that big of a difference. My gear is man 13m (carried on death) so I'm kinda welfaring it. I dont have anything close to max gear for my stuff so I'm going to go under the impression that max gear compared to my cheap gear does make the difference.

And I guess re spawn time could be a factor. And attention to play, i'll admit on those stats that I did have the cannon empty for a bit because I was busy writing the guide so maybe with more details I can average out with newer trips to get a more accurate /hr result.

Ltgen_Singh.png

Capture_Copy.png

all_99.png

Edit: Added Setup/Invo without overloads or Bone crusher + Demon Horn Necklace. I don't really know if this works so I'm going to test it when I get a chance. Might have to take a healing familiar. I'll update when I can.

Ltgen_Singh.png

Capture_Copy.png

all_99.png

Added a new trip information tonight. Updated new results with averages from old data + lastest trip to show current rates

Also, upgrading my armor to subjugation so we'll see if thats a major factor or not

EDIT: Also added new Subjugation setup. I havn't done a trip with it yet but I will pretty soon (hopefully tonight/tomorrow)

Ltgen_Singh.png

Capture_Copy.png

all_99.png

Edit today:

Did trip # 8, first time with subjagution armor and it made a pretty big difference. I adjusted the overall exp (its not based on trip 5,7,8). I'm going to try to do another run tonight.

if you are reading this and going it. Please post your feedback

Thank you!

EDIT added Trip # 9 and averaged new loot data

Ltgen_Singh.png

Capture_Copy.png

all_99.png

• 2 weeks later...

Is it feasible to use just chins + cannon, with max range gear? I only ask since it's the last combat stat along with summoning that I need to max.

Yeah totally you can. I just kept the mage off hand for more damage but you don't have to use it.

Ltgen_Singh.png

Capture_Copy.png

all_99.png

Is it feasible to use just chins + cannon, with max range gear? I only ask since it's the last combat stat along with summoning that I need to max.

Yeah totally you can. I just kept the mage off hand for more damage but you don't have to use it.

Awesome! I'll have to give it a go :D

Iapa.png

Update: I gave it a go using just range (Chins + oh cbow + gold cannon), My rate came out higher than yours over a 1 hour sample, I believe this is down to the setup I was using which consisted of full armadyl rather than a mixed gear combo.

I did take a screen shot but it messed up in paint lol, I'll post a few more over the coming days to help out anyone using range with your permission.

• Like 1

Iapa.png

Update: I gave it a go using just range (Chins + oh cbow + gold cannon), My rate came out higher than yours over a 1 hour sample, I believe this is down to the setup I was using which consisted of full armadyl rather than a mixed gear combo.

I did take a screen shot but it messed up in paint lol, I'll post a few more over the coming days to help out anyone using range with your permission.

I'd love to get some info from your experiences. I'll add it to the guide and credit you appropriately.

Hope to hear from you soon

Ltgen_Singh.png

Capture_Copy.png

all_99.png

• 2 years later...

Did another trip again with using this guide even those its really old. Here is the final results. Spent 45 mins down there; 2.25 overload doses.

Charms

Crimson: 405/hr

Green: 125/hr

Gold: 226/hr

Blue: 25/hr

XP

Magic: 215k/hr

Range: 161k/hr

HP: 123k/hr

dagg_end.png

Before:

rock_lob_before.png

After:

rock_lob_afer.png

EDIT: So afer seeing a few people still interested in this way to xp/charm. I did another trip with docuementation there. I'm close to 99 magic so I'm going to finish mage there. I'll try to post some more current photos but the process is still the same. And the xp/charms figures are pretty much the same as well.

Ltgen_Singh.png

Capture_Copy.png

all_99.png