Clubs are tragic

MightyMuddy

I have a severe dislike for clubs - and the whole "binge-drinking" attitude that is associated with the University life.

I dislike clubs due to:

Conflicting tastes in music.

Generally anything with a bit too much bass and the same synth sounds repeating over and over gives me a headache. I listen to enough of that stuff at home when my flatmate(s) decide they want to listen to something "chilled out" or "upbeat". Dance/Grime or w/e they play in clubs these days - just doesn't appeal to me.

The general atmosphere.

I generally find the company one would keep at a nightclub to be rather dull - as a teetotaler, this would be understandable as all company I would keep would be drunkards with absolute clarity about absolutely nothing. I understand that one would (and should) go to a nightclub with the express interest of dancing and grinding on members of the human species.

The people.

Generally just nit-picking about drunk people in general. As someone has perhaps pointed out how difficult it is to talk to someone who couldn't give a flying [bleep] about what it is you are trying to say (in terms of small-talk). I find it not worth to invest the time in talking to someone who isn't going to invest the same amount of time back into me. In a nightclub I wouldn't even bother - the atmosphere is bad enough. 

I know many people who would come out of a club - complaining that they disliked it e.t.c but will still quite happily go back again and again - and I just don't get it. If you were to expose them to stimuli that they find unpleasant they'd obviously try and avoid it. 

And while it is often deemed the only way to have "fun" as a young-adult. This just doesn't occur with going to nightclubs, but with perhaps going to listen to live music at a pub or even a gathering to play Mario Kart. It is met with some form of "Let's have a piss-up". I could go on and on as to why I, someone who does not relish the company of those who are inebriated, would prefer to have his fun away from all of that, but this conflicts with the whole "Student lifestyle". These are observations of someone who has attempted clubbing and going out numerous times over the course of 4 years and I have NEVER found it a single bit enjoyable. 

• Like 1

Luck be a Lady

• 2 weeks later...

Ahoy,

So I recently watched a video about depression and I've been thinking about it a lot recently, and I've come to the conclusion most people are lying to themselves about what makes them happy. It seems to me that everyone keeps getting told that drinking and going to clubs is so cool and the best way to enjoy your youth, but when I go it just seems so tragic to me. Most of the people don't seem happy, they just look sad, like they're lying to themselves. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure some people really do enjoy going to clubs but for most people I honestly can't believe that they enjoy doing it.

All going to clubs is, is:

>You're drunk social interaction means less

>You're not going to meet new worthwhile people

>Costs you money

>Feel like ass the next day

Seriously, I go to town and I feel like everyone's just there to validate themselves. People I wouldn't normally talk to act like they're my friends when they see me in town so they can seem cool or whatever in front of whoever they're with and the conversation is just tragic.

"Oh hey man it's been so long!!!"

"What do you study brah!?!?"

"Oh man that's so cool!!!!" 

The conversation doesn't go much past that, and it just means so little. 

And meeting a good girl at a club? It's like shaking the [bleep] tree and expecting an angel to fall out. What good, relationship worthy girl goes home with a stranger they've never met before? Even if they don't smash first date.

Video: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csrRB_agsJk

Agree/disagree? 

I think the only thing tragic about clubs is people who go with this mentality.

Free party, free spirit, free people :)

Algorythm_duracell_enzo_pk_zinix_zbomb_s

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freetekno

I don't have time for people in clubs or on parties and frankly I probably won't be interested in the small-talk either, i'm too busy partying with my head into the speakers. Then again i'm an avid electronic music lover, there are no parties for me just concerts.

Would give everything I have to experience clubs in the 80's/90's when hiphop and it's various subgenres (miami bass!) and the start of house, techno, hardcore, acid in some Dutch & German clubs. That mustve been sooooooo good.

Sway all day, Butterfly flaps all the way!  tumblr_inline_mp4i2qAGS11qz4rgp.gif

✿ ♥‿♥)

Ahoy,

So I recently watched a video about depression and I've been thinking about it a lot recently, and I've come to the conclusion most people are lying to themselves about what makes them happy. It seems to me that everyone keeps getting told that drinking and going to clubs is so cool and the best way to enjoy your youth, but when I go it just seems so tragic to me. Most of the people don't seem happy, they just look sad, like they're lying to themselves. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure some people really do enjoy going to clubs but for most people I honestly can't believe that they enjoy doing it.

>Costs you money

Seriously, I go to town and I feel like everyone's just there to validate themselves. People I wouldn't normally talk to act like they're my friends when they see me in town so they can seem cool or whatever in front of whoever they're with and the conversation is just tragic.

And meeting a good girl at a club? It's like shaking the [bleep] tree and expecting an angel to fall out. What good, relationship worthy girl goes home with a stranger they've never met before? Even if they don't smash first date.

Video: 

Agree/disagree? 

What do you mean?

Ahoy,

>Costs you money

Video: 

Agree/disagree? 

What do you mean?

Your attitude is negative. You see everyone and everything about a club in a negative light. 

Those drunk interactions you have with people at clubs probably won't mean much now, but in a few years time when you and your friends sit down and talk about it, they sure as hell are going to mean a lot. Me and my sister used to go out a lot together in the past. The other day we went out for dinner with my parents and we started telling stories of the days we went to clubs a lot together. We laughed so much that night. I don't think me and my family have had such a good time together in 5 years. For the next few days after that everyone in the house was in a bit of a happier mood.

We also met a lot of worthwhile people when we went out. People that shared different opinions than we did, with different cultural backgrounds. It's a great way to build world knowledge when you live in a place like i do.

And you can't really complain about how it costs you money. Because everything in live will cost you money. That's like saying once you stop growing you're going to stop buying clothes because it costs money. You might as well just wear the same thing every day until it rips and tears and you're "forced" to buy new shit.

And i don't see how going to club makes you feel like an ass the next day. Even if you drink to the point where you can't stand on your own two feet anymore. I've learned that people who do that generally don't care what people think of them or their actions, so it's kind of impossible for them to feel like an ass. 

Perhaps the reason you think clubs are so tragic is because of the company you keep.

And i also don't understand how a girl that goes home with a guy she meets that night makes her unworthy of a relationship.

Ahoy,

>Costs you money

Video: 

Agree/disagree? 

What do you mean?

Your attitude is negative. You see everyone and everything about a club in a negative light. 

Those drunk interactions you have with people at clubs probably won't mean much now, but in a few years time when you and your friends sit down and talk about it, they sure as hell are going to mean a lot. Me and my sister used to go out a lot together in the past. The other day we went out for dinner with my parents and we started telling stories of the days we went to clubs a lot together. We laughed so much that night. I don't think me and my family have had such a good time together in 5 years. For the next few days after that everyone in the house was in a bit of a happier mood.

We also met a lot of worthwhile people when we went out. People that shared different opinions than we did, with different cultural backgrounds. It's a great way to build world knowledge when you live in a place like i do.

And you can't really complain about how it costs you money. Because everything in live will cost you money. That's like saying once you stop growing you're going to stop buying clothes because it costs money. You might as well just wear the same thing every day until it rips and tears and you're "forced" to buy new shit.

And i don't see how going to club makes you feel like an ass the next day. Even if you drink to the point where you can't stand on your own two feet anymore. I've learned that people who do that generally don't care what people think of them or their actions, so it's kind of impossible for them to feel like an ass. 

Perhaps the reason you think clubs are so tragic is because of the company you keep.

And i also don't understand how a girl that goes home with a guy she meets that night makes her unworthy of a relationship.

Big assumptions, I have plenty, and I'm sure more than most, cool stories from drinking. But these happen at parties or pre-drinking or even just drinks with the boys. I know I'll find them funny and I know the boys (the people who I drink with) will find there's funny too. But I think undeniably a party is a better environment than a club. 

I also can't stress how often I used the word most. I really don't think everyone hates clubs, I have friends who enjoy smashing random sloots. I know they enjoy clubs. I just don't think most people do. And I don't think most people can pull at a club or enjoy one night stands. 

And so what your family was happier because you shared some stories about going to clubs? Just sounds like your family has tension and any sharing of funny stories would've done the same thing. You don't NEED to go to clubs for them.

And I don't know how you meet interesting people at clubs, I know it's rare where I live, you meet them at parties. Or, well anywhere else too. There are a lot of exchange students in my university.

Yeah I'm not saying you have to be frugal but the money spent in a club is money not spent elsewhere. And I'd seriously rather do anything with the money, from spending it on traveling/clothes/protein. Idk. Opportunity cost son. 

Nothing to do with the company, Ive been to various clubs with different groups of people, with my best friend and genuinely the funniest people I've ever met multiple times. I really like the people but I'd much rather see them outside a club setting. Which I do. I do get along with these people. 

Because going home with a random guy is undeniably taboo, and she's obviously easy. I don't know about you, but I'd rather not girlfriend a sloot. Everything you do says something about you, and going home with a random guy really implies poor relationship values imo. But if you don't really value sex outside of just being fun and have no problem wifing a girl who's taken 100 unique applications to her ham wallet she's all yours. I don't want her. 

There are other ways to enjoy yourself outside of clubs. And I'd say they're a lot better.

Are one night stands really that taboo? Only if you're looking at it from a male perspective. I've never known any guy receive grief for shagging a girl after a drunken night out (Jack The Lad), but girls on the other hand, as you say, are "sloots" for doing exactly the same things.

I'm not suggesting you're a closet misogynist or anything...

Nothing wrong with one night stands.

At the same time though, I've never understood the appeal of them. Why just hook up once when you could turn it into a relationship and have multiple hookups over the months to come? Only really makes sense to have a one night stand in hindsight rather than planning on it. To each their own I guess.

77yLQy8.png

When you are 16- like 20-something, most young people are still living with parents or in dorms and thus it is really hard to organize or to find parties with people of our own age. Specially here, when older people (parents) don't leave the house for vacations or anything too often. I seriously have had like 3 or 4 instances in my whole 19 year old life where it would have been possible for me to host a party but I haven't done it. And don't get me started with cleaning up the place afterwards and taking care of everyone. Granted, there used to be like 1-2 houseparties a month at least, but going to a club is guaranteed to bring a party.

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

I think one night stands are taboo for women. Correct me if I'm wrong?

I know that's a double standard, but isn't that how most people see it? And I'm not saying women shouldn't have one night stands, it's just I don't think I'd want to girlfriend a girl who does. I also don't want to have them if that helps. 

yeah but you should probably follow that thought through fully, why it's considered taboo, and prob come to realize it's based on p. old-fashioned and puritanical views about a woman's sexuality.

and then think on why you wouldn't date someone for that. is it because of peer pressure or whatever? are you just grossed out? cuz i mean it's not that big a deal but it's pretty rude to just go around calling women who go home w/people from clubs sluts.

• Like 1

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men

Nothing wrong with one night stands.

At the same time though, I've never understood the appeal of them. Why just hook up once when you could turn it into a relationship and have multiple hookups over the months to come? Only really makes sense to have a one night stand in hindsight rather than planning on it. To each their own I guess.

Some people don't want the burden of a relationship. A friends with benefit situation could probably remedy that but there is something fun about having different types of sex?

I sort of like clubs. Depends on if there's a place in the club where it's quieter and you can talk without screaming. Then again I've never been to one completely sober.

rc1tzc.png

☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢

yeah but you should probably follow that thought through fully, why it's considered taboo, and prob come to realize it's based on p. old-fashioned and puritanical views about a woman's sexuality.

and then think on why you wouldn't date someone for that. is it because of peer pressure or whatever? are you just grossed out? cuz i mean it's not that big a deal but it's pretty rude to just go around calling women who go home w/people from clubs sluts.

Isn't that what a slut is? Like, literally the definition. 

Maybe I'm young, but I think it's gross. Lol.

Isn't that what a slut is? Like, literally the definition. 

Maybe I'm young, but I think it's gross. Lol.

But why do you think it's gross

77yLQy8.png

I guess, given the variety of clubs available, whether they be tuned to specific music genre, with certain dance floor setups, the crowd they tend to attract, or cost, there is really no reason for anyone (who elect to go clubbing in the first place) to be disappointed. How people interact with each other, would also depend on the age and maturity of the crowd. 

On a slightly related note, I think there are also a number of levels of friendship involved in a person's social hierarchy - there would have been close friends who would probably know a lot about your preferences, family and perhaps secrets, there would also be ones you encounter in school/university who may merely be just acquaintances (and so one would expect the content of conversation to differ), there may be ones you are closer than the rest (hobbies, interests, etc.), then there may be workplace friends and etc. Accordingly the style, mode and content of conversation would be different. The complexity of the social composition makes the quality and hence personal satisfaction of any encounters circumstantial. In any case, the club scene could just be treated as a microcosm of the society/your social circles.

I thought we are already past the stage of taboos and superstitions on sex...I guess at the end of the day, it's only about how you think and how you feel (while keeping the values of society, short and long term implication of actions in the back of your mind). Personally, I see nothing wrong with one night stands and etc. when they are conducted by choice. There must be reasoning behind each choice a person make, regardless of their states of mind. And I believe the society as a collective of individuals, has evolved to the stage where it recognises the freedom of choice in this regards.

'Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.' T.S. Eliot

Who exactly is being "higher than thou" here?

Furthermore, your desire to have fun is a not a God-given right which should be protected above other people's rights, where the latter may be compromised in the act of somebody doing the former.

Yeah I agree that taking something once, for curiosity, isn't really weak. But even if you're not addicted to it, using it often means it has a use for you or you need it for something. And that's a weakness. It doesn't have to be a crippling addiction, just something you need for something. And I don't think these drugs help push your body past its normal limit, I think it just helps you lose part of yourself, so you can rave harder/care less, which is something you can do without taking a drug.

Happiness is unachievable? Do you mind explaining? Sorry not new to this new quote system, lol. 

No it's not. You're also assuming that if we use a drug once to do something, we have to do it every time to get enjoyment out of it. We don't. I've used recreational drugs for various reasons before, most of the time I don't. You're treating drug use like the meal, when in fact it is seasoning intended to enhance the flavour of the meal

that is an activity. Sure, we don't need alcohol, but it does enhance the fun when you're a bit intoxicated. On top of that, alcohol allows your mind to function uninhibited, leading to some of the most deep and meaningful conversations I've ever had. Even if I'm sober myself. Not saying I enjoy clubs, I'm the only one of my friends who prefers to just go to a pub where we can have some drinks, maybe a nice meal, and play pool while talking about anything the alcohol guides us to. I could do that without the alcohol, but as an introvert I find I tend to talk a lot less, and am less likely to try and start a conversation or change topics to something else.

• Like 2

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!